5.0 out of 5 stars A Fresh Leadership Prophet
Published on May 1, 2003 by John T McAuley

3.0 out of 5 stars Leaders Love Alliteration
I have a confession to make. When Andy Stanley's The Next Generation Leader came out ten years ago, I scooped it up from a bargain table and had every intent of reading it then. I knew Stanley to be a good speaker and was curious about what he would say about leadership. Yet I was also pretty suspicious of the Evangelical leadership fetish, so I never read it. The book...
Published 17 months ago by James R. V. Matichuk

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fresh Leadership Prophet, May 1, 2003
John T McAuley (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Andy Stanley finally demonstrates that there still is something fresh to say about the wonderful world of leadership. This book is by no means just theory. No, it is born out of a credibility few other leaders have. Andy is one of the new generations of leaders who has lived in a rapid world wind of change and emerged with one of the most dynamic teams and organization I have seen in many years. So, with confidence, read this book. I heard him speak at a conference last fall, the subject of which is a key chapter in his book. I must say it was one of the most profound talks I have heard on leadership during my past 10 years of formal leadership studies. As someone who has a graduate degree in Organizational leadership, and teaches extensively on leadership, I was thrilled to see the talk now in print for all to savor. This book will be a key text book for my students, and as an Executive Director of a large summer camp in Canada, it will also be a mandatory read for our 50+ fulltime staff.
Each chapter takes you on a point-blank "get with it" format, therefore, do not be put off by its size. There is enough to chew on here for a month. I recommend taking it away on a personal evaluation retreat. You will emerge more focused, equipped and more than thankful for an excellent leadership resource. Well done Andy Stanley, thank you so much for your leadership, keep at it. Psalm 78:72

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, March 5, 2003
By A Customer
I've read a number of these leadership/personal growth books and the first thing I noticed about this books was how slim it was. Other books of similar topic are usually weighty volumes with lots of 50 cent words.
I appreciated the author's down-to-earth style and while some of these concepts are covered in other leadership books, Andy Stanley's approach has a fresh conversational style I immediately enjoyed.
Stanley covers 5 basic principles of leadership (he's the first to tell you there are many more, but these 5 seem to be the most essential). The two I most enjoyed were clarity and character. Clarity doesn't mean we'll have all the answers, but we should always be clear in our purpose. The character portion was well reasoned and made me wonder if corporate leadership in the US wouldn't benefit by reading this?!?
Loved it! Easy to read and reread. I find myself thinking about the principles on a regular basis.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Leadership Book Available, February 19, 2003
David Tarkington (Orange Park, FL United States) - See all my reviews
Absolutely the BEST book on leadership I've ever read (this includes Maxwell's books, too.) It's only 136 pages long, but is packed with more understandable and relevant information than many leadership books twice the size. This book would be beneficial to those in corporate leadership, but is invaluable to pastors and those in ministerial leadership. I believe every pastor, deacon, committee member, and Sunday School leader should have to read this book. Finally, in understandable terms, the characteristics of godly leadership are mapped out.
The most eye-opening statement in the book for me was that "authority does not equal competency." Get the book and you'll see what I mean.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Punch, August 10, 2006
The last section is worth the price of the book. Actually, the first four sections were good, but not outstanding or unusual. They dealt with competence, courage, clarity, and coaching. I've read many leadership books and after awhile they begin to sound similar. The last chapter of this book makes a pointed statement, "Character determines the leader's legacy." Something about these last three chapters struck a chord with me. Andy writes from experience and with authority.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the most useful book on Christian leadership you will read., May 20, 2013
This review, by Dr. Nicholson, has been provided courtesy of Desert Bible Institute (www.desertbibleinstitute.com) and christianaudio (www.christianaudio.com). While christianaudio did provide a free review copy of this book, this is not a paid review or advertisement.

Based on the title, I though Andy Stanley's book, Next Generation Leader, was going to be focused on young leaders and the challenges that they will face in the future of ministry. I was considering the book for one of you core audio textbooks for a mentorship class we recently started at Desert Bible Institute. Instead, what Stanley provides is a clear and comprehensive guide on how to be a better leader regardless of (or perhaps despite) your experience. Unlike some books that I have read on the subject, Stanley does not take on the role of a cheerleader, but neither does he take on the role of negative pragmatist. What Stanley does instead is to challenge ministry leaders to use time-tested methods to be both affective and innovative. He encourages leaders to play to their strengths and build strong teams. If this was all he did however this would be yet another book destined to collect digital dust in my electronic archive.
Stanley moves on to show leaders how to restructure, move forward boldly, and develop the most effective leadership team that they can. While he does this by citing well-known books in some places, his most effective approach is by showing how leadership was handled in Scripture. I do not mean that he cites verses (although he does that): I mean that he takes scenarios in the Bible and shows how great leaders were created and developed. He biblically shows (not tells) what made leaders in the Bible great. This alone would make the book useful, but Stanley goes further.
By citing examples, both personal and theoretical, Stanley show how leaders can apply the strategies he is suggesting. He makes the reader think "Hey I know how I could use that idea." He then anticipates the critics of his ideas and carefully explains how the most common objections to his ideas are understandable but nevertheless invalid. This is all done with a pleasant, respectful approach that makes this book very approachable.
The narrator, Lloyd James, likewise does an excellent job. He reads the book in a natural, unaffected manner. Additionally, he captures the easy, conversational tone that is usually unique to the author being the narrator. I had to keep remaining myself that James was not Stanley. Too often, readers of non-fiction can be overly dramatic and sound like an announcer. James however seems to have a knack for finding the subtleties in a work that helps the text come alive.
In all, I highly recommend this book. I review all the lectures and audio textbooks that come through Desert Bible Institute, and this is by far one of the best. It will soon be one of the audio textbook choices for our students and without question the core reading at our next staff retreat.

Trent Nicholson, Ph.D., D.Min.
Desert Bible Institute, President

5.0 out of 5 stars The 5 C's of Leadership, February 11, 2013
Andy Stanley is one of my favorite communicators. I thoroughly enjoy his podcasts and respect what he has accomplished. When I read several blogs touting must-read leadership books, his was on there. I picked up a copy of Next Generation Leader and was not disappointed.

Andy looks at 5 Essential Traits for those who will shape the future. I will overview the 5 C's:

Competence
Leaders must channel their energies towards those arenas in which they are most likely to succeed.

Andy says his biggest mistake early in leadership was focusing on things which were not his strengths. Playing to your strengths and delegating towards your weakness is wisdom.

He sums this principle up by saying, "Great leaders know when to follow."

Competence is not required of leaders in areas, only the right ones.

Courage
The leader is the one who has the courage to initiate, to set things in motion, and to move ahead.

He urges leaders to not allow the "how to get in the way of the what."

Michael Hyatt said a similar thing on a recent podcast, calling it the difference between the vision and the strategy. We may not know the exact plan, but we do know where we want to end up.

Do you have the courage to step out?

Clarity
The leader must learn clear communication, even when he is not certain.

In a similar vein to the last point, Andy reminds us clarity of vision is more important than certainty of the outcome.

One of the worst things a leader can do is pretend to have the answer. Learn to use the words "I don't know....but here is where we are going."

Leaders don't need all the answers just an eye on the big picture.

Coaching
Without a coach you never will never be as good as you could be.

Coaching is something we must seek to give as well as receive. It begins with an honest assessment saying we are not as good as we could be. This jump starts the process of receiving input into our lives.

Coaches observe, they instruct, and bring inspiration.

Find this for yourself; be this for others.

Character
Character provides a leader with the moral authority to bring people together.

Your character is always on display. You may possess talent and natural ability to make an impact, but it is character which will carve out your legacy.

Leadership is not merely and art, rather a matter of the heart.

While wrapping up this book, it shocked me to see it was nearly 10 years old. The publication date coupled with timeless content qualifies this as a leadership classic.

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, with insightful ideas, July 7, 2003
Damian C. Dizard (Windsor Mill, MD United States) - See all my reviews
I am attending a young leaders workshop at my church and our pastor suggested this book to read before we attend the class. I read the book in about 2 days.
Andy Stanley brings a fresh approach to leadership and this book will not only help me at my church, but in my business endeavors as well.
I appreciate the section on Competence: Do Less, Accomplish More. He says, "The moment a leader steps away from his core competencies, his effectiveness as a leader diminshes." This is not new to leadership, but to younger people in leadership it is paramount. We think we can do everything, but it is not possible. Andy Stanley says don't focus on being a "well-rounded" leader, but a man or women of focus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tested Leadership Lessons for Emerging Leaders, May 21, 2005
Todd Hudnall (Colorado Springs, CO) - See all my reviews
Andy Stanley's purpose in writing "The Next Generation Leader" was to pass on to emerging leaders lessons learned in his own leadership experiences. The book centers on five leadership concepts.

1. Competence - Focus your time and energy in your areas of strength.

2. Courage - The leader is the one willing to take the lead.

3. Clarity - Be clear even if you are uncertain.

4. Coaching - It takes a coach to bring out your full potential.

5. Character - Character makes you a leader worth following and it provides you with moral authority.

In Augustinian terms, Stanley has plundered the Egyptians, by borrowing many concepts from authors of business books and translating them into the vernacular of the minister and the world of the church. He does this with numerous examples of characters in the Bible and from his own personal life and ministry.

"The Next Generation Leader" is a short, interesting, and thoughtful book designed for those beginning their leadership journey. It should also provide reminders and challenges to those who have served as leaders for some time. I highly recommend the book for emerging Christian leaders. If you are looking for a more comprehensive study of church leadership from a similar perspective I would recommend "Courageous Leadership" by Bill Hybels or "The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership" by John Maxwell.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good book but..., January 20, 2014
"Next Generation Leader: 5 Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future" is a good book for a novice person that has not spent much time around their church leaders/business leaders or has not read any leadership books. It is a good place to start, however, if you are not a total "Greenhorn" then you may want to spend your money and time on another book or seminar.

4.0 out of 5 stars Audiobook Review, August 6, 2013
Are you a next generation leader? Stanley seems to promise that this book will help forge you on that path. This book is about the five essentials for those who will shape the future. This book is all about leadership, and not necessarily in the business culture. It can be, in Stanley's case, leading a church as an Associate Pastor. The next generation of leaders, those in their younger thirties, has, as Stanley asserts, a strong ethic to personal growth and achievement. Stanley desires to bring leadership training techniques to this younger group of leaders. In this consideration, he quips that <em>much will be expected of those that much is given to</em>. He begins by sharing his youth experiences and how he learned leadership via self-management. He writes this book, as a partial result, to give more to the next generation.

James' narration of this book carries a scent of relaxation within a business tone, demanding attention to the material while allow the listener to also sit back and absorb the material at their own pace. On the topic of pace, James' speaks at a medium rate with clear speech and inflection, permitting listeners to hear, reflect, and learn. A smooth presentation overall, James' does surprisingly well in the ability to mimic Stanley's written voice. He isn't merely reading the text, but rather performing it, if ever so slightly, so as to not distract. After all, it isn't about the voice, but the material, and James helps make this so.

Clearly written for leaders or potential leaders, this book is best geared to those wishing to lead others, or those that may already do. The best time to listen is with pen and paper in hand, given there's so much to learn. Enjoy!

Disclosure: I was contracted to write an honest review in exchange for a reviewer copy of the product. The opinions stated in this review are solely my own.

Next Generation Leader