4.0 out of 5 stars Expedition To Pre-Perry Journey
Published on September 11, 2003 by susumu-5

3.0 out of 5 stars A passable end to Chapter One...
Published on November 1, 2006 by Mark Gatzke

4.0 out of 5 stars Expedition To Pre-Perry Journey, September 11, 2003
This review is from: Next (Audio CD)
It is like jumping into completely different world. The difference between Journey until Next and after Infinity is not just a vocal change from Gregg Rolie to Steve Perry. The sound heard in Next is avant-garde vivid, mythic, dynamic rock we have probably never heard before. Rock music like no other. Spaceman is a most catchy song reminiscent of early Chicago rock. Here We Are after careful listening you will find that it serves somewhat prototype of later Journey hits such as Lights and Touching, Squeezing... if you just imagine that the arrangements are more upbeat. The opening riff of Next is really familiar for 80's Journey fans. I do not know if Journey fans that are used to Steve Perry vocal will like this one, but you will find it refreshing and invigorating in different manner after repeated listens.

4.0 out of 5 stars Journey's roots ... Before much Evolution., May 17, 2001
This review is from: Next (Audio CD)
For musicians this album will remind why Journey, who are best known nowadays for their pop ballads, still is and always was a group to be admired and respected. Steve Perry is not present on this album. (No disrespect intended) The dense, experimental arrangements and the sophisticated fusion influence is all here. Yu will recognize Greg Rolie's vocals from his appearance on Santana's 'Black Magic Woman' and later Journey material like 'Anytime', 'Feeling That Way' and 'Just The Same Way'. Neal Schon still plays the thick Santana tones and solos. When I listen to this record I can almost smell the 70s and San Francisco. If you can get the vinyl, this album belongs in your collection alonside the likes of Jefferson Starship, Santana, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd and Janis Joplin.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Next" Is Awesome!!! True Classic Journey!!!, March 10, 2002
This review is from: Next (Audio CD)
I had to special order this CD a few years ago, and ever since I got it into my hot little hands, I've enjoyed this early Journey gem very much. This is the last album recorded by the band before Steve Perry joined. It is much like their second album "Look Into The Future" and it seems like Journey never runs out of new musical ideas to deliver to our ears. "Next" is every bit as unique as their debut, "Journey" and "Look Into The Future." Like with the first two albums, Journey engages in powerful, sizzling creativity, and brings us a whole new set of interesting, thuderous, beats which makes you want indulge in the excitement of air-drum, air-guitar, and air-keyboard playing. Neal Schon's guitar is just as mean as ever; full of life and bustling with activity. The fascinating, melodic charges come out at you, and are as vivid as ever. Aynsley Dunbar's drums are as rowdy and strong as all get out. Ross Valory still proves he's one of the best bass players around, and the voice of Gregg Rolie is a perfect fit as usual, gliding and roaring out with the amazing musical sounds. His keyboards are superb just like on the first two albums. He is never a disappointment. "Next" gives a hard-nosed, rough, rugged, melodic feel that is like no other. Songs like "Hustler," "I Would Find You," "Next" and "Karma" fall into this category especially. Highlights on the album are the catchy fun rock of "Spaceman," the dreamy, melodic, free-flowing "People," my favorite song; the edgy melodic guitar and keyboard clad "Next," and the swirly rapidness of "Nickel And Dime." This is a fun album with fun twists and catchy riffs. It is a partying rock album that will always be timeless!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Underrated, but highly recommended., June 11, 1998
This review is from: Next (Audio CD)
After the departure of George Tickner, Journey continued as a four-man unit. Steve Perry would not join for two more albums, and the time was the fusion era. Experimenting with many different ideas, Journey's third album lacks some of the punch of their self-titled debut, but the songwriting is just as well thought out. Gregg Rolie still sings like a master(on People, his voice bears a striking resemblance to John Lennon) and Neal Schon even contributes a lead vocal. For anyone who wishes to explore the evolution of a group who later became a vehicle for Steve Perry, this album will show a much different(and in my opinion, better) side of Journey.

3.0 out of 5 stars A passable end to Chapter One..., November 1, 2006
Mark Gatzke (Plant City, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Next (Audio CD)
Pre-Perry Journey had, ironically, two hurdles in front of them after 'Look Into The Future' - the difficult task of topping it and a lack of original ideas for new songs, the latter making the former almost impossible. As well, it was clear that Journey couldn't make a career with what they had. Greg Rolie's vocals were getting the job done, but he simply didn't have the range, musically or emotionally, to carry them any further. 'Next' seems to implicitly acknowledge that, as the vocals are mixed down and effected enough to be nothing more than a minor distraction from the music. The music is decent, if a little forced compared to their previous efforts, and well produced with a lot of energy behind it, but they rely heavily on the groove of each song to get them through. Unfortunately it works as often as it doesn't, and the overall impression is that they would be better off and probably happier playing exclusively in front of live audiences. Whether one appreciates the addition and talent of Steve Perry is irrelevant to the fact that he solved Journey's problems and led them to success they couldn't have imagined. Without him, I believe this would have been their last album.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Journey record of them all, April 15, 2010
This review is from: Next (Audio CD)
This particular record was always my favorite Journey album of them all. This isn't quite as proggy as the first two were and is better focused overall. Their attempt to be more mainstream? Perhaps, but the musicianship is epic...these four musicians could seriously play. Do you want to know how really good Neal Schon was or what he was really capable of doing? Listen to this. Aynsley Dunbar may have gotten lost in the mist of time when it comes to legendary rock drummers talk but again, listen to this and understand how great he really was. "Nickel and Dime" remains absolutely soaring well over thirty years later. Nothing on this record sounds dated at all.

I don't dislike Steve Perry at all but after he joined I lost interest. Nothing that version of Journey (or others) did could ever compare to this. Musical chops matter as much as a good upfront vocalist does, maybe more.

At least I think so anyway.

4.0 out of 5 stars The only Journey I can listen to, August 22, 2000
"gdatlanta" (Atlanta, Georgia USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Next (Audio CD)
I was recommended this recording by a fellow musician who insisted it wouldn't be anything like I imagined it. He was right! Steve Perry, who sounds like a victim of testicular rupture, has not yet joined Journey at this point, nor has Steve Smith (who's more than a pretty good drummer). Instead, the incredible Aynsley Dunbar lays down thunderous drums on this release, while Mr. Schon's guitar causes boils to form in your head. This is not a collection of corporate-hit rock songs like their later releases. This is a fantastic progressive-rock group playing complicated meters very well and a definite must-have for anyone interested in good musicianship. After listening to this, you'll wonder why they abandoned this approach in favor of the drek by which you identify this band today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pre-Steve Perry Journey should not be overlooked!!!, April 26, 2001
adam (Westchester, Il.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Next (Audio CD)
The average Journey fan is going look at this album's cover and say "No Steve Perry? What the hell is this?" The thing is, this is one of my favorite Journey albums overall! Fans of classic Journey will recognize keyboardist Gregg Rollie's voice (he of "Just the Same Way" and "Feeling That Way/Anytime" fame). Unfortunately, this album is SO poorly represented on the Journey box set-one cut, that being the instrumental "Nickel and Dime". Taking nothing away from that song-Neal Schon smokes on it-the rest of the album rocks. Someone else who reviewed this album recommended "I Would Find You"-I would have to go with "Spaceman", the title cut, and especially, "Here We Are". Spaceman and Here We Are were probably the two songs with the most potential to have been "hits". If you are a fan of the "Faithfully"/"Open Arms" Journey stuff (which I still like), don't expect that style here. That was Perry's influence. This is for fans of the Gregg Rollie sung songs and is more progressive rock in style. If you are a Journey fan and want to expand your library to the early stuff, start here!

5.0 out of 5 stars An overlooked gem, April 16, 1999
This review is from: Next (Audio CD)
Journey's Next takes me back to my teens, the seventies, growing up in the Sacramento area, getting high at the river and listening to music like this, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd. I missed Next when it first appeared but was very connected to the Northern California landscape that produced it. I am taken right back to the hazy era of outdoor concerts, party vans, and the Bay Area mecca of Day on the Green. It's spacey and fusiony and experimental, but lyrical and beautiful. It's free of Steve Perry, who's a great vocalist but helped to take the band into commercial genericism that I really grew to dislike (along with many others!). Journey's Next is an album I come back to frequently. It fits the term overused so much but very appropriate here: Cool. I love Schon's solos, his tone, and also Dunbar's drumming. Check out "I Would Find You." Of course the focus is Greg Rolie's singing and how he played off of Schon and vice versa. What a great record. I am ordering the CD today, even though my vinyl has held up well since buying it in a cutout been about 12 years ago. Rock on! [Note: I believe this band grew out of an incarnation of Santana -- which will be irritatingly obvious to fans of either band -- sorry]

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding "Pre-Perry" Rock, February 16, 2010
This review is from: Next (Audio CD)
The year was 1980. "Infinity" and "Evolution" dominated my eight-track player, and "Departure" was on my turntable. Journey was the band that spoke to me the most. So imagine my enthusiasm when I was perusing the used eight-track tapes at the local thrift store and came across a tape by Journey entitled "Next."
I held the cartridge in my hand, not knowing what to think. Psychedelic clothes. Greg Rolie with a moustache. Neal Schon with a gigantic Afro. Aynsley Dunbar and Ross Valory pretty much looked normal. But conspicuous by his absence was Steve Perry. My 15-year old mind could scarcely comprehend what I had stumbled across, but I had to find out.
Back in "the day," being a "Metalhead" was listening to KISS, AC/DC, Styx, Skynyrd, and Black Sabbath with equal zeal. And while most of us "diehard" rockers listened to Journey, only a brave few of us - myself included - dared admit to really liking them. However, this album ranks up there with good, solid hard rock. I can only imagine how these songs sounded live; we'll never find out, as all vocal work was done by Rolie.
You won't find the power ballads or polished rockers of the Perry era, but what you will find with "Next" - which is, incidentally, my favorite pre-Perry Journey album - is borderline psychedelic rock driven by Rolie's piano and keyboard prowess and Neal Schon's timeless guitar playing. You rocked with Perry, you embraced Augeri, and maybe like me, you grudgingly accepted Arnel Pineda, but to get the full Journey experience, "Next" is a must-have.

Next by Journey (Audio CD - 1991)
Click for more info