5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable and Everything You Need Is Included
Published on September 28, 2009 by Amazon Deity

3.0 out of 5 stars POI's are nice but it confused East and West
Published on November 18, 2009 by zhabazon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable and Everything You Need Is Included, September 28, 2009
This review is from: Nextar SNAP5 Super Slim 5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What a difference a 5" screen is compared to my previous 3.5" Nextar GPS unit. The Nextar SNAP5 Super Slim 5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator has an LCD screen that is crystal clear and easy to read. The unit is super slim and lightweight, measures at 5.8" x 4" x 0.7. This is a very affordable GPS unit if you are just looking for a GPS that does the basics with a little pizazz. It does not come with all the extras such as blue-tooth or Wi-Fi capabilities, but that is why it makes it so affordable. Nextar GPS units have only been around for a few years, but they are slowly starting to gain respect in the GPS market. I owned one of their first original GPS units, the Nextar X3 3.5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator and MP3 Player which came out in 2004. I can see that Nextar has made terrific improvements in the design, ease of use and the overall user-friendly functionality.

Equipped with text-to-speech support, built in stereo speakers, SD card with pre-loaded maps of US (includes Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico) and Canada, MP3 player, photo viewer, 2D and 3D map viewing modes for "major cities", day and night mode and rechargeable Li-ion battery. It allows to choose different backgrounds (13 to pick from). You can even choose your mode of transportation - from car, emergency, taxi, pedestrian, bus or bicycle. The magnetic docking clip allows you to connect the AC power adapter to it and you can easily snap it and snap off the GPS unit without having to unplug it every time. This makes it easy to store or take take along with you. There are over one million points of interests and your address book can hold up to 300 of your favorite places to go. The touch screen is very responsive and the driving instructions seem to be accurate. It does take a bit when you turn it on to acquire the signal, but once it is acquired the GPS constantly has strong signal strength (and I live out in a very rural area). It also recalculates routes very quickly.

One neat feature that my other GPS did not have is that as the name street you are on displays at the bottom of the display, it also shows the house numbers as you approach them. Nice feature when you are looking for a specific house number.

For a VERY affordable price you get everything you need in the box. AC Adapter, Car Adapter, USB cable, Pouch, Mounting cradle, Dashboard mount disk, Mounting Bracket, 2GB SD card. This is a GREAT DEAL since most GPS units only come with the car adapter and mounting cradle.

This GPS is perfect for someone who does not all the fancy extras and wants a GPS that is affordable and dependable.

3.0 out of 5 stars POI's are nice but it confused East and West, November 18, 2009
zhabazon (Washington DC area) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've had this now for several weeks and have used this side by side with my Navigon. Living in Northern Virginia, traffic can be a problem, and changing routes is very normal. With the Nextar SNAP5, I can be miles down the road before it kicks in with another route. More disconcerting is driving East on I-66 in Falls Church, and having the voice tell me I am going West. When signage tells me I'm going a direction, the compass tells me I'm going in that same direction and the GPS voice tells me differently, I panic and want to pull off the road but I know better. This system is large in screen, but that screen displays many icons and a map that is eclipsed by the Navigon 4.3 smaller size in package. Startup is much faster in the Navigon than the Nextar SNAP5 under the exact same conditions, as I turn them on at the same time in the same place and wait for the navigation to begin. It has taken me in very complicated and inefficient routes which would make Euler roll in his grave. The text to voice function is less clear than the Navigon and the voice often breaks in and out with delivery, making the words unrecognizable. I do not like the coiled cable at all, but do like the placement of the connection better than the one on the Navigon. The map representation on the screen is unappealing and difficult to read in either option available and it's extremely difficult to see during bright days. I sometimes cannot identify the map at all, regardless of how I position and reposition the device. I have not used the MP3 function and never will, so that's wasted on me. The POI's are nicely organized and it's interesting to find spots from a database that is very outdated which haven't existed for years. It's a great concept if it is current but otherwise is a waste of time and can cause problems if you head to a spot that doesn't exist. I do not know if updates are available as they are (with subscription purchase) for the Navigon. This also does not have a traffic update availability as does the Navigon. Since I don't use it without power from the vehicle, I cannot comment upon the battery life. A stylus is included, but I also haven't used that expect in a rare occasion. The carrying case is nice if you want to carry it, but I have yet to use the case. Very nice to have a power cord to charge it away from the car. All in all, the price of less than a hundred and a half is reasonable if you want the MP3 function but for me, I much prefer the Navigon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Simple to Use -- Love the Big Screen!, October 13, 2009
McBean "BJMcBean" (Orange County, California) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Having never personally owned a portable GPS device, I was surprised at how big the Nextar Snap 5 was. At first, I thought that the 5-inch screen would be too much for portable navigation but it seems much better compared to the navigation units my friends have. The Snap5 is actually pretty light for such a big screen and that is probably due to its slim design. Compared to my friend's Panasonic navigation device, the Snap5 is actually similar in weight even though the Panasonic is smaller.

The menu feature on the Snap5 really is easy to use. As soon as you turn on the device you can select music, photos, setup or the navigator function. The one thing that is somewhat disappointing is the load time for the navigator program - but that is probably the only function that is slow on this device. The Snap 5 instantly recalculates directions after making multiple wrong turns - a very important feature. The system itself is set up very nicely for simple use. I've used other navigation devices in the past and this seems to be one of the most simple-to-use devices I've come across so far. I was very surprised that the preloaded "points of interest" actually had all the places that I looked up.

The nighttime screen application is a very impressive feature. Instead of having the bright glow of the map while driving at night, the nighttime screen offers a vivid navigation screen without the glare. The voice-guided navigation is also a great plus on this system. My friends and I have found that this system provides more reminders while navigating than other systems. Some people can consider this a plus or minus, but it definitely helps when driving around new places. Also, since the speakers are built in to the unit, there is no mess with dealing with additional cables. The speaker is quite adequate even at 50%.

This navigation system is well worth the money and is a great deal. This is definitely a device I would recommend to everyone, especially for those looking for an affordable option.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm picky about my GPS units, but this is surprisingly good..., October 22, 2009
Sprout (Port Townsend, WA) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been through a few Garmin, Magellan and TomTom units in the past, and had always gone back to Garmin... Until now, I've never used a Nextar GPS. It sounded like one of those cheaper "off-brand" GPSs that just don't deliver, but I was pleasantly surprised by the overall quality as well as the price point.

First thing you notice is the size. Compared to my other GPSs, this thing is gigantic. It might make it a pain to move from vehicle to vehicle, so it's probably best left in one car. And the size of the unit plus the mount make it more difficult to mount where it does not interfere with your line of sight. However, the bright, bold screen, clear graphics, and overall size of the display make it very easy to see what's going on quickly, meaning less time with your eyes off the road when checking your position. The different viewing modes and the "dashboard" with speed, distance, time, etc. are all very clear and update pretty swiftly... Good times.

I haven't taken it out for extensive navigation testing, as I've only been around town lately, but from what I can see around town, it's accurate and seems quite up to date. It calculates routes fairly quickly, and those routes seem to be just fine.

The Text-to-Speech voices are quite clear, not quite as good as some of the more expensive units, but definitely clear and easy to understand.

Overall it's not the greatest GPS in the world, there are some clunky aspects to the GUI and sometimes it gets bogged down, but for the price it's a heck of a nice unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelieveable Bargain, September 13, 2009
I purchased 2-SNAP 5 GPS after buying several SNAP 7 units. The SNAP 5 is just as accurate and easy to use. These GPS are by far superior to my Garmin 7200 and Tom Tom. It takes just moments to set up a route or destination with the touch screen. Its as if the software is reading your mind. As a example I wanted to find a Wal-Mart about 40 miles north of me so I entered the search for Wal-Mart looked at the results at 40 miles set it as a destination and I was routed to the front door.

What a gem of a driving help.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good GPS, November 19, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My husband has been using Garmins for many years, so that's what I have to compare the Nextar too.

The set-up was easy. It's a mostly intuitive set up and uses a touch screen which is nice. Putting in your address is very easy. And it has a great list of points of interest along your route.

It's very light and has a nice zippered case, so you can take it with you.

The first time I used it the setting for 'shortest distance' was chosen. I was trying to get my son to a soccer game at an unfamiliar field, although I had a basic idea of which way to go. The Nextar kept trying to have me take all these crazy back roads. I ended up using my Google maps directions.

Once I returned home I changed the setting to 'fastest' and I've used it numerous times since. It's been a great unit. The screen is nice and big. You have the option between 3-D or 2-D view. I like the 2-D, it's easier for me to use.

One thing is doesn't do, that the Garmin does, is tell you the name of the streets. The Nextar will say "In 200 feet make a right turn" - the Garmin will say "In 200 feet make a right turn on Main Street". This was the one thing I didn't like about the unit and why I gave it four stars, instead of five. It does show you the name of the next street at the top of the unit though, so that does help.

Overall this is a good unit, it works well and will get you to your destination with ease. And, it's very reasonably priced.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use but invisible in daylight, September 30, 2009
As long as you use this indoors or at night, it works great. But if you take it out in daylight the screen appears blank. This includes the bright interior of a car dash, which is about the only place you would use it. The screen is as large as I would ever want in a windshiled mount, but not too big. I actually mount it over the radio display in both of our cars, where there is a recess to keep sun off.

Menu navigation: excellent. This is the first unit I have had that is fast and logical. You can get to almost anywhere in the menu structure in 3 clicks. It makes me wonder how Magellan managed to make theirs so convoluted and exasperating.

Finding places: excellent. It even found my office by name, and we are a 7 person design firm. Finding places to eat, get gas, or anything else can be done anywhere on route, and sorted by detour from route, destination, or current position. My ancient handheld Garmen was far superior to my 1 year old Magellan at finding gas stations and food, but niether can touch this unit!

Route planning: ??. Haven't tried this yet. It is so easy to use the history, or find things, this seems a lot less important than in my earlier units.

Turn notification: excellent. It shows you 2 turns ahead, which I have never had on my other 2 units or MS streets. This makes a HUGE difference and should be standard on all GPS. It shows landmarks and signs on route in 3D. It even distinquishes between lanes under certain circumstances, such as carpool lanes and some transition ramps. Notifications are clear, and it reads the distance to turn in yards, not .1 miles, so it is easier to anticipate.

Mount: good. The magnetic mount is outstanding but the arm is quite long and visually bulky on a low sloping windshild. It feels like it would vibrate, but the harmonic does not match the car (as it does on shorter mounts), so the unit remins surprisingly steady and easy to read even on bumpy roads and freeways. The arm is so long, in fact, that the unit is in front of the dash when mounted just below our sedans rearview mirror. However, windshield mount only works at night, since the display is almost unreadable during the day.

Accurcy: Once it indicated an offramp 4.5 miles after a "keep left", but after passing the "keep left" it immediately said exit in 1.5 miles. It was hard to exit the carpool lane and 6 lanes of traffic in that much time! No wrong turns yet.

This is by far my favorite GPS ever, but the display nearly spoils it. How could they think this thing trough so perfectly in so many ways, and miss something so basic?

4.0 out of 5 stars Money well Spent !!, December 9, 2009
The Nextar Snap5 GPS Navigator was a great investment at a great Price.I tested it out on a trip to visit Family which was a 125 mile round trip.It gave me not only the normal Freeway route but also shorter toll road routes as well.I also like the fact of multiple Language settings available and Male and Female voice options. There were a couple of times however that it was a bit slow down loading information.The slim body does not take up alot of my dashboard and the five inch screen is easy to see day or night.

2.0 out of 5 stars Huge display with a few glitches..., October 14, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Nextar SNAP5 GPS is the largest, in your face mobile navigation system I have ever used. When I first opened the box and revealed the sheer size of the display I was amazed. I was a little concerned it would take up too much room on my dash and limit my line of sight while driving, which wasn't really an issue once I put it in my car. It comes with the car charger, home charger, and case, which was very nice, considering most others do not.
I have not connected the Nextar to the internet and I have only used it as it was in the box. I took it out for a little test run. I attempted to locate a specific home improvement store in the next city with the intentions of having the Nextar SNAP5 get me there successfully. I did not know the specific street address of the business, so I simply typed in the name. The display is slow to respond to touch when typing. The device only would display the closest store which I wasn't wanting and other stores that were 150 miles away, not the store that was only 10 miles or so away. So, I decided to put in one of the big name shopping stores. The store can be seen from the road I was on, but the device attempted to take me about two miles out of the way.
I have used Garmin, TomTom and Magellan GPS systems and they all worked without this many issues. I would definitely recommend spending your money on one of the more reputable GPS systems. This one was simply not up to par. I will add a photo comparison to one of those units shortly, to show the size comparison.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great For The Money, December 21, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
GPS units need to do one thing: get you from here to there. The Nextar 5 does that quite well, with some bonuses I didn't expect in the price range as well as a few negatives.

First, the positives: The screen is huge compared to my last GPS. It's easy to read from anywhere in the car (especially great for my kids in the back seat that like to watch where we are) although it can get washed out in direct sunlight - though that's par for the course. It's also got built in batteries that allow you to unplug it and use it on foot for a while, which is nice, and an AC adapter for use outside of the car, also a neat feature.

The directions are excellent, even catching a U-turn around an island near my office that most miss. Getting off course and then re-routing is also incredibly easy. It has both night and day modes, which I liked, as it dims the display down so as not to be distracting when driving after dark, and you can choose between multiple display modes to suit your personal preferences.

So it gives good directions, has a great, large screen, and looks good - what are the negatives? First of all, it takes longer than I think it ought to to start-up and load the navigation software. That may not bother most people, but I didn't like it. Worse though, the touchscreen is not consistently responsive, causing me to hit a selection once, wait a few seconds and hit it again, at which point it registers both hits and goes past where I want it to. If also found the POI settings a big non-intuitive - I found it took longer that I thought it ought to to figure out exactly how to display the specific items I wanted displayed at any given time. Finally, for some reason my unit will not auto-set the time; something my other GPS units have no problem doing. There's a setting to allow it, but it says it's unable to do so. And when I manually set it, it would forget what time zone I was in every time I turned it off, which made the clock off by 5 hours every time I turned it back on. Weirdly, this behavior just fixed itself recently, and it now at least remembers the time zone.

Most of these issues are picking nits though, and with the exception of the time zone issue, which has apparently fixed itself, none are deal-breakers. The core functionality of the Snap5 has been fantastic, and for that reason I'd recommend it as a good and budget conscious alternative to some of the other GPS units on the market.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›