4.0 out of 5 stars Like but does have some issues

3.0 out of 5 stars good bargain, but needs lots more tweaking
Buyers plz note that it has pros and cons depending on what you're looking for:

PROS first:
===========

- plays videos well. Including the hi-def 1280x720 ones right off the SD card of your HD movie camcorder.

Published on February 15, 2011 by Josh A. Taneja

3.0 out of 5 stars good bargain, but needs lots more tweaking, February 15, 2011
This review is from: Nextbook Next3 Touchscreen Reader W/android (Personal Computers)
Buyers plz note that it has pros and cons depending on what you're looking for:

PROS first:
===========

- Has good eBookReader and photo browser. No issues there. This device is really an eBook Reader with a color screen, WiFi and internet browser built in. If that's all you need, it will serve you well.

- The mini USB port can connect to your MACBOOK with a USB cable (included) and you can see the SD card mounted as a drive on your laptop to transfer files between this Tablet and your Mac. It can also accept SD cards upto 8GB.

- CUSTOM root firmware is now available for this baby, which can get Android Marketplace working successfully. I downloaded and installed the custom firmware to try it out and it breathed new life into the device once Marketplace was enabled. Just google for it: Next3 marketplace firmware.

Cons next:
==========

- It has a resistive touch screen, not capacitive. Means that it is designed to work with a stylus (included) and not your finger like an iPhone. The screen does not respond well to finger or nails touch. You can't scroll down pages smoothly, it selects & clicks page items when you want it to scroll, and does not select items when you want it to despite repeated clicks.

- Battery is always dead whenever you pick it up next day to use it, despite turning off the screen with single power off click. Basically the standby mode does not power cycle off and drains the battery dead. So each time you're done using it, remember to manually shut it off.

- YouTube apps don't come installed and won't work either using other ways. Facebook will work if you manually download it as an APK file and install outside of Android MarketPlace.

- The screen is a bit reflective, almost like a mirror. So if you are standing outside in an evening sun, don't expect to see much action on the screen.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Enough, April 24, 2011
AJ Nito (Chula Vista, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I guess most negative complaints are from people who are Ipad wannabe owners. if you understand how this device works it will suffice your needs. This is NOT a fully functional tablet. This is an e-book reader with an optional wifi connection to buy ebooks from Barnes and Nobles, Kindle or Borders. Web Browsing is an option. I have this for 3 months now and so far I have figured out how to tame it. I bought it because I need a bigger screen to read my e-books and to watch my educational videos. And I think the wifi connection was thrown in as an afterthought option.
1. It turns on when you plug in the power so if you forget to turn it off it will drain the battery. Standby mode still will drain your battery. Be diligent to turn it off if you will not be using it for some time.
2. It locks because it has only so much memory for system, apps or games. If you open a lot of apps and games then it will lock up. I have installed AppKiller and the Advanced Task Manager. Each time I turn it on the first thing I do is kill all apps. I always check any running apps and kill others that I will not be using. I am not interested on games but I tried some games and oh so they hang! AngryBirds does not work. Video or 3D intensive games do not work. Andoku and Math games work. It doesn't mean if it works on your Android phone it will work on NextBook.
3. It does not come with Android Market but it comes with another Market store and the new SlideMe store can be downloaded from the Nextbook web site. There are web sites where you can download other free apps and games. it works on most apps that do not require your phone number.
4. WiFi connection is slow. I use Maildroid to consolidate all my emailboxes and Facebook to check updates - these work for me. It has pretty decent connection. Web Browsing will be a drag. Kill all apps and clear your web cache. Google Maps is just map, no GPS functionality here.
5. This is great for keeping phone contacts, task lists, taking notes, planning and scheduling as these Android apps work just fine with this device. Sync this with your cell phone.
6. SD card slot is excellent as I keep my videos and ebooks and docs separate.
7. It does NOT charge thru the USB connection but you can connect to your computer and transfer data.
8. Most of the ebook PDF readers work. I have 3 readers and they work perfectly with all my PDF files.
8. The installed video player plays most video files. It plays HD videos. Some movies though lock up. I have to convert them to regular AVIs.
9. The sound is not good. There is an earphone socket. I bought an Altec Lansing iM-237 Orbit Ultraportable Speaker for MP3 Players. Awesome! Now I can listen to music, audio books and other motivational audios while driving.
BTW, I am also a programmer so this is excellent to play with Android development. Now If I can figure it out how to make this to work with HTC Thunderbolt mobile hotspot...

I hope you will find my review helpful to decide if this device will suffice your needs.

2.0 out of 5 stars sloppy knockoff!!, February 10, 2011
I ordered mine off of HSN got it in time for Christmas-a gift to myself. This nextbook freezes up alllll the time! Has to be reset allll the time! The only good thing I've found is the backlighted reader. The borders reader is lousy because when you type in a book you want it doesn't come up you get maybe 5,000 books that you have to look through to find yours. I owned the Kindle but it doesn't have a backlight and my area don't have whispernet so I thought that this would be better because of the wifi. Big mistake!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Like but does have some issues, January 30, 2011
I purchased the Nextbook 8.4 tablet ereader. I received in December 24th right on time for christmas. It has a ton of great features like wifi connectivity, and uses the android operating system, so I'm able to download apps to it, and play android games on it. I can also view youtube videos, and add songs and listen to them on the go. It holds a ton of books, I don't even know how many yet because I'm still reading the freebies I got. Currently I'm reading Haven which I like so far, Especially since I got it free off of Borders. I'm able to quickly connect to borders download my book, and read it instantly, as long as I have a wifi signal. I really do lovely, because I use it at the doctor's office, at work when I'm not busy, and when I'm out and about and stuck waiting. I also like to read in my spare time, so it allows me to read what I want without carrying a ton of books. One problem that I have had, is that it will freeze up from time to time. I'm not sure why but it does, and then I have to reset it. I noticed it will do it, if I connect the power cord to it. I'm not sure if it's a power issue. Other than that I don't have any problems with it, and I love it. I can't wait until netflix comes out for android, so I can add it too. The battery life is pretty good. I had mine off for about two weeks and turned it on, and had almost a full battery, and that's without having to charge it. All in all I'm very happy with my purchase as I can browse the internet, read books, listen to music, watch videos, play games and download apps, without having to pay the high price of an ipad. My suggestion is that you do buy the extra warranty if it's available just in case. Hope this helps someone.(The reviewer was compensated for posting this review. However, the opinion stated in the review is that of the reviewer and the reviewer alone. Further, the reviewer independently selected this product to review and has no affiliation with the product maker/distributor, Amazon or the review requester.)

5.0 out of 5 stars NEXT3 Connectivity Issues - Don't Despair!, March 31, 2011
For those of you who are experiencing connectivity issues with the Next3 ... please read on.

I, too, purchased mine from HSN. After a few short days I began to think I might have made a mistake. As others have reported, it locked up ocassionally. While that was annoying, it was neither a deal-breaker nor an insurmountable issue (find a small thin wire ... metal or hard plastic ... and simply insert into the reset hole). What was truly unacceptable was that it seemed unable to hold an internet connection. It might connect for a while, then nothing - or - it would be totally unable to connect the next time I picked it up. I went back countless times to reinstall connectivity from the setup ... with the same results. It would find my network and say that it was connected; sooner or later, however, the connection would be dropped. My observation at that point ... unreliable and somewhat flakey.

HERE'S THE POINT: After going through the setup numerous times (always with negative results), it occurred to me that the only thing I had NOT tried (and the only option to sending it back for a refund) was to SET UP THE INTERNET CONNECTION 'MANUALLY'.

The problem was/is that the user manual does not explain/discuss this at all - so far as I can tell. The steps outlined below came from a frustrating trial-and-error process - learning by doing. Nevertheless, I have not had a single problem with connectivity since then!!!

WIRELESS SETUP:
(1) Select 'Settings'
(2) Select 'Wireless & Networks'
(3) Select 'Wi-Fi Settings'
(4) Now select 'MENU' from the upper right corner of the screen
(5) Select 'Advanced' at the bottom
(6) Select 'Use Static IP' so that the green checkmark appears.

Below the 'Use Static IP' are five additional settings. These you will have to get from your internet provider, as they spefically identify the location of your network on the internet! Option #1: Simply call your provider for the info. Option #2: They may already provide the info online. My provider is ATT-Uverse. On my ATT gateway/router is an internet address that I checked on my PC. While filled with reams of extraneous technical specs that I don't/won't ever want or need to know, I did find the five pieces of information I was looking for: IP Address, Gateway, Netmask, DNS1 and DNS2. Fill in each of the five pieces of information. Then, be sure to 'Save' these new settings - otherwise, you will have to do it all one more time:

TO SAVE THESE NEW SETTINGS:
(7) Select 'MENU' again from the upper right, while IP Address, Gateway, Netmask, DNS1 and DNS2 are still visible on the screen
(8) Select 'Save' from the lower left of the screen

I hope this helps. I believe it has to do with how the Next3 identifies (and therefor connects to) your wireless network over the internet. It can use what is called a dynamic address (assigned on the fly - which can change based on who knows what) - OR - a static address (does not change). Once again, all I know is that my connection problems ceased once I set up the static IP address. The Next3 may or may not meet your expectations regarding overall functionality (it's NOT a PC replacement), but I have found it totally reliable with respect to its connectivity since I made the changes outlined above. If this works for you, please post your comments and spread the word.

Good Luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Review - NEXTBOOK TABLET, February 8, 2011
It has a ton of great features to offer. The Touch is very good. I liked this tablet because of its very user friendly. Plus, The Web browser is also quite good and the speed is also reasonable. The price is also not very high as per the specs. On whole it is value for money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Problems with all of these, February 9, 2011
I just received mine from HSN its having all the issues that ALL the people are complaining about on their website with the last unit. Even the PAID reviewer said it freezes up and she has to reset it, guess what thats right, tons of people this is happening to. I feel this nextbook or what ever it is supposed to be, is just something thrown out there to get us to buy instead of the iPad and a few others that REALLY WORK AS DESCRIBED. These were obviously put out as a diversion in mass quanity in hopes that at least half the people won't bother to send back. I tried for hours to connect Wifi I even went in the room where the unit is and still wouldnt connect, showed Netgear and tried, but no cigar. Freeze ups galore. Battery life is bad. Only thing I could get going was the book reading part, geez maybe thats all it is, no wonder nothing else works. Tap on what you want and the item below will open instead. Most of the time it takes more than one touch too. The display moves without you moving the item to go unside down. Others wrote about that too. One day with this is enough for me to send it back. I'll wait until I can afford the ones they want us to not buy like the iPad.

1.0 out of 5 stars Frustration in a box, December 10, 2011
Trying to save a few bucks, I bought this as a gift for my wife's 44th birthday. After coming home and reading some of the reviews here on Amazon, I decided to check it out before wrapping it.

Price - Cheap. It happened to be on sale for a little over one hundred dollars.

Opening the box - Easy

Connecting to my home network - Easy

Getting to the internet - Easy

That's where the fun ended.

I went to YouTube first, so that I could get a look at the video quality and streaming capabilities.

The touch screen has enough of a delay to make me wonder if it sensed my selection, and it requires to much pressure to sense your touch. Think... clunky.

When I tried to scroll down to find an interesting looking video, the point that I touched to begin scrolling was selected, so it kept selecting whatever link was at the point I touched.

When it went to the link (that I didn't want) there was a 5 second delay, and the video didn't start automatically. I tapped on the play arrow, and instead of playing the video, it selected the entire screen and refreshed the page.

I lasted about fifteen minutes with this reader/tablet. It's back in the box and will be returned tomorrow morning.

Unless you need to keep your blood pressure elevated for medical reasons, spend $199 on the Kindle Fire. Even if you're cheap, it's more than worth it.

A week ago we bought a Kindle Fire for my daughter, as a Christmas gift. I was so excited that I opened it the day it arrived to "test" it, and did the same things I did today with the Next3. It was easy all the way, and If my daughter didn't come home, I don't think I would have put it down. I was pleasantly surprised. Guess what my wife's getting for her birthday/Christmas... the Kindle Fire. Next time I won't be so cheap.
Thank you to the other reviewers, for saving me from serious embarrassment.

4.0 out of 5 stars EFun Nextbook 8.4, May 25, 2011
I bought the Nextbook Reader about 3 days ago. I made a mistake connecting the charger to the ear plug hole, silly me, couldn't figure out why it didn't charge. Finally took care of that problem. Started loading books and it freezes up on me. It's very sensitive, I don't know if it froze because I was downloading too many books or touching the screen too much. I tried to shut it off but it didn't work. I then tried to reset it, but that didn't work. I guess I'll try letting the battery discharge and see where that takes me. If it resets itself after the battery drains and it regcharges, that will determine if I'll keep it. All, and all, I really like it. I hope it starts working again, because I've all ready installed quite abit on it. I wasn't able to install the Android market, but I was able to install somethings from it, by going to it online. Before you download anything on your device, be sure to install a virus/spam protector. I Installed Lookout, I also have it on my iphone. I downloaded the Aldiko reader, it similar to Kindle, Borders, etc. It has tons of free books that you can download for free. They have great books for kids and wonderful fiction and non-fiction books for the advid reader.

4.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!!!, February 14, 2011
sonja brooks (detroit, mi United States) - See all my reviews
I MUST SAY I WAS REALLY SKEPTICAL AFTER READING ALL OF THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS.. INITIALLY THE FEW PROBLEMS I HAD CHARGING THE UNIT..(I ACCIDENTLY INSERTED THE CHARGER IN THE AUDIO PORT)... ADDING APPS.. I FOUND THIS UNIT IS UNBELIEVABLE... YOU CAN DOWNLOAD ALL TYPES OF FREE ANDROID APPS. I'VE DOWN LOADED SEVERAL BIBLES,A DICTIONARY, GAMES, THE NEW YORK TIMES AND MANY MANY MORE. I THINK MOST PEOPLE ARE HAVING ISSUES BECAUSE IT TAKES A LITTLE TIME GETTING USE TO... ONE LAST TOLERABLE ISSUE..THE SCREEN MAGNIFIER ACTIVATES TOO EASILY WHEN YOU ARE SCROLLING PAGES

Nextbook Next3 Touchscreen Reader W/android