4.0 out of 5 stars Really, not a bad deal at all, especially for the kids.
I recently bought myself a Nexus 7 32Gb tablet, after realizing the tablet potential for all the e-mail accounts and other things I have to keep track of, which my Blackberry was getting really tiring.
My wife started looking at the Nexus, and asked if their was a simpler version we could get her.
I said I would simply buy her a Nexus, but then she found, (sorry...
Published 20 months ago by Paul S. Brzozowski

3.0 out of 5 stars Ehhh, know what you want before you buy.
Published 18 months ago by J. Buckley

4.0 out of 5 stars Really, not a bad deal at all, especially for the kids., November 27, 2012
This review is from: E-Fun Nextbook Premium 8se 8-Inch Android 4.0 Tablet (Personal Computers)
I said I would simply buy her a Nexus, but then she found, (sorry Amazon), this unit on a Black Friday special at Big Lots, of all places, for Seventy Eight Dollars!
I got up at 5AM, reached the Big Lots at 6:05AM, and found out that I was already number 12 in line for one of these. (Who storms Big Lots on Black Friday? Turns out, a LOT of people do!)

I have to say, now that we have installed it onto our home wireless system, (matched up seamlessly with our cranky 2Wire AT&T modem), it has been wonderful for my wife, who really wants to use it as a reader, (B&N included), watch cooking videos over the Internet, and do some other simple searches on the Internet.

What it does:
Internet, B&N bookstore, Google store, Amazon Store, Getjar a great apps finder, Chrome Google, takes a 32Gb micro SD for huge storage, and all the usual basic things like picture storage. The 32Gb chip will show up as a separate drive. Supports Gmail and hotmail, all others you just gotta try. (Did NOT support out Bellsouth accounts, so she cannot access her e-mail.) The SVGA 800X600 resolution is just fine, and although not HD, you can clearly see everything, and the 8" screen makes some of the small type just slightly bigger, which is great for us glasses people.
It also comes with an honest wall wart charger, not the silly USB cable into a special wall plug, so technically, you could use this as an additional hard drive and USB this to your computer while still having it plugged into the wall to not deplete the battery. Supports all the game apps, like Angry Birds and tens of thousands of others. Since it open to B&N, Google, and you can join the Amazon store with this, it goes where the much more expensive ones go.

What it does NOT do: Support all e-mail formats, no voice command, no NFC (Near Field Communication), no HD, camera is only 1.3GB and front facing, and a few of the odd goodies some hard core techies need. No auto upgrade, NO gorilla glass.

Overall, after the initial purchase, we bought: a 32Gb SD micro chip, a great carrier with storage pocket also from Big Lots for a lousy Six Dollars, and a stylus pen for Thirteen. Total investment? 130 dollars! Package complete with stylus, carrier and 32Gb extra memory!
Plus, it is STURDY...

I noticed that it looks like Big Lots, when they have these, sell them for Ninety Dollars. Even then, that is a heck of a bargain for a beginner tablet for a child or someone who only wants the internet and books. Just crazy.
The Android shipped as 4.0, it will upgrade if you want it to, but so far, my wife says it is just fine, runs fast, no problems.

The screen is a bit touchy. I would recommend a generic screen cover to slow down the stylus a little.
Would I buy this again? You bet...

4.0 out of 5 stars For the price it is a great tablet most of the time, December 23, 2012
I bought my first nextbook 8se 4.0 about a month ago at big lots and i really loved the size. I also went to Radio Shack and purchased a holder for about $38.00.. Well it kept freezing up and i took it back and they offered me another tablet and i thought well i will give it another try. The tablet was with android 4.0.4 which is a little different than the 4.0 version. At this time there is no fix for Netflix and i am having trouble getting into amazon apps. I am not a gamer so this is not a problem. There are now two speakers on the bottom which are pretty decent. I love the 8 inch size. I loaded the Kindle app and have had no trouble downloading books. Sometimes there are problems with 3rd party apps which will slow the tablet down. I did once reinstall the factory settings which erased what i loaded because i think a app was giving me trouble. This is not a ipad and It does not cost what a ipad does. i wanted a low cost tablet which i can use during my break . i drive a bus and have no problem picking up wi-fi from McDonald and other locations. The start up is slow but i can live with it. The battery life could be better. I like the size and for what i do on the internet, I have loaded Avast Mobile to protect me on the internet. I can get on Facebook, Yahoo e-mail, and YouTube with no trouble. I had some trouble with Amazon Apps but was able to install. I also purchased through Amazon a screen protector . Google Play will not work on this device.

4.0 out of 5 stars we have several tablets in the family and this may be one of the better values, July 8, 2013
M. Nichols (Telluride, CO) - See all my reviews
first it is important to know this review isn't coming from a first time tablet user. this is actually the fifth we have purchased over the past three years. those other tablets have run all three operating systems but to be honest android is my favorite. that said this is our second less costly tablet and surprisingly though it came it at under a hundred and a good thirty bucks less than the previous tablet everyone self included give the nextbook tab the edge. when ordering BE CERTAIN you are getting the MOST RECENT VERSION w/android 4.1 which also comes loaded with google play store. as for the tablet it does just about everything our other more expensive tablets do. the only exceptions being games that require more oomph so to speak and battery life isn't quite up there with the best as of yet. tried it with popular apps like netflix, hbogo, pulse and they all work just fine. the mhdmi out works fine when connected to our flatscreen. you can use up to 128gb in the microsd formatted ntfs. wifi works fine though if you rely on a weak signal you might notice some hanging with high bandwidth tasks like vids etc. the tablet is a nice alternative for a little more real estate than a 7 incher. that mattered to us because we got this one for my mom so she could use it to read. for her it is big enough though not by much to read all without issues. if you plan to watch vids a lot keep in mind as it is an 8 inch it will not display in a typical wide screen format instead more like a 4:3 ratio. it is hard to sort out the reviews you should take heed of and those you shouldn't. often you get tweens or newbs who are themselves as the end user the problem rather than the product they gleefully rip to shreds. we have had the latest version of the tablet now for a good month and are quite happy with it. it is nice to get something for less and still get value for your money and with the nextbook you will get a good day to day tablet worth every penny and then some.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ehhh, know what you want before you buy., January 19, 2013
I just purchased two from BL for $89.99 each. I thought if I liked it, I would get one for my wife as well. Odds are we'll keep one and take the other back. I like the idea of having portable entertainment i.e. Netflix, Amazon Instant Video. There is a Netflix app that does not actually render video with audio, if at all. The patch or firmware update does nothing to help. Amazon Instant works, kind of okay. Our 4 year old Iphone does a better job with its outdated Netflix app than this does.

My wife likes the idea of not having to take her laptop to use the internet, it does that fine. Also, Amazon Kindle app seems to work okay, too. We'll see what happens.

If you are looking for a web browser, email checker, silly game player and ebook reader, this may work for you. Much more than that and you may be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars E-Fun Nextbook Premium 8se 8-Inch Android 4.0 Tablet, October 18, 2013
Just a great size to work with. Not heavy and a great screen to look at, my eyes don't strain to read and very little glare.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, April 5, 2013
Never used diary.I was looking for another game and brought this one up by accident.I love nextbook just got ahold of a defected one that's all.

4.0 out of 5 stars You could definitely do worse for this price, June 12, 2013
I picked one of these up for my dad at Office Max about a month ago. His antivirus was about to expire, and Office Max had a deal where you would get one of these for free at checkout if you bought your subscription through them. For a free tablet, the Nextbook gets the job done. Fairly good at picking up internet (although initial setup can be a slight pain), speedy when browsing the internet, and AC charge plug for more efficient charging. However, it should be noted that it uses a proprietary version of Android 4.0. This is most notable in the fact that you do not have access to Google Play. The Nextbook comes with its own app store with a much more limited variety to choose from (additionally, last time I used it, I was off-put by all sorts of adult "games" advertised on the home menu). Luckily, you can find .apk files on the internet and put them on the Nextbook when it is plugged into your computer. Additionally, you can download the Amazon App Store which has a much greater library of apps, and is much more user-friendly. For my rather tech-illiterate dad, that's just what was needed.

TL;DR is that if you can find it for cheap, I recommend getting it. If you find it for free, snap it up! If you have to choose between this and something like a Kindle Fire on sale for a comparable price, go for the Fire.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice tablet, April 29, 2013
John (Westland, MI) - See all my reviews
This is a nice and cheap tablet. I have had it for about a month. I would purchased this again. Thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price for an 11 year old, February 17, 2013
This was for my 11 year old son and he loves it. Perfect for him to play games on and chat with his friends. Great price!

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugh... so much work!, May 28, 2013
So like many others I bought this from Big Lots, and even though it says it runs on Android app, I've found it to be so frustrating, I know you get what you pay for, and all in all it isn't a terrible machine, but there is sooooooo much leg work just to download apps that should be simple. Plus don't let anyone fool you, I've been looking for a way to this device added on to google play for a while now and haven't found any solutions yet. It's a great value if you have the time and patience to work it out, I just find myself loosing it from time to time!

Rate and Discover Movies