Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Format: PaperbackChange

on October 30, 2012
The Nexus-7 tablet has a significant FAIL. There's no manual, just a 'quick start' guide and a quasi-manual file in the Nexus. You need to use the device to learn how to use the device. I bought several 'manuals' only to be very disappointed. One actually had 'information missing and will be added at a later date' statement under several headings. Talk about frustrating!

I pre-ordered this manual and waited several months for its release. I was not disappointed this time. Like the other "....For Dummies" books it packed more than enough knowledge into its 288 pages. It was written with the assumption that you know very little about the device and holds your hand with simple language. You don't have to be a geek to follow along (yay, I am the most non-geekish person I know.) One thing that I am especially pleased with is the smaller size (9 x 6.4 x 0.5 inches) than most "....For Dummies" books which makes it slightly larger than the device itself. It goes into my bag with my Nexus as I find myself browsing thru it anytime I have a few minutes to spare and each time I learn something new. The formatting remains the same with 'the Part of Tens' and icons to highlight critical points (tips, reminder,warning, & 'technical stuff.)

Buy the book.
You won't regret it!
0Comment86 of 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 13, 2012
I bought a 32gb Nexus 7 and I have to say the stuff in the box as well as the loaded owners manual on the device are not worth much. I bought Dan's book and it is the portal to a lot of power and goodies you won't figure out on your own. For example the camera in the unit has no app to open it up. You have to go to an app store and download the app for the camera as well as a host of other things that would have been useful.

Long story short... spend the money and get this book. Otherwise you will drive yourself nutty trying to figure out a lot of the features and functions of a really superb device. I really think the Nexus 7 is a out of the ballpark homerun. Dan has done his homework for all of us and I am really greatful to have this instruction manual.
0Comment41 of 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 6, 2012
I picked this up as a final piece of research before choosing a N7 over the fire hd....

It's information is fixed around the original release (8 and 16gb versions and android 4.1) so just be aware of the changes.

I read it cover to cover in a night (on a kindle no less) and bought the nexus the next day...... and i have no regrets....
on December 1, 2012
I agree with a previous poster. It's a nice book, lots of good tips, but far too much cutesy stuff. Far too much. It's just filler. I can hardly stand to read it. "...you can probably use the tip of your nose as well." "...the type of pouches mama kangaroos have, but without the expense of owning a zoo." It's page after page of that stuff. Dan should stifle it. Doesn't he have an editor? It's a big turn off for me. I did find one that was worthy of a chuckle when Dan wrote, "Android is based on the Linux operating system, which is also a computer operating system, though it's much more stable and bugfree than Windows, so it's not as popular."
on November 27, 2012
I'll start by saying the author, Dan, was VERY responsive to email questions. But the book itself? Lacking. One-third of the book was fluff about things like "creatures from the planet Zontar." It is neither a guide nor reference. Basic instructions at best. Instructions on how to import contacts didn't work; at least Dan's email gave some suggestions.

I really wanted to like this book, but after reading it through completely, noticed I did not have one 'dog-eared' or 'post-it' marked page. Well, that's not entirely true: the 5 page Chapter 20 suggested 10 useful apps. But overall, I found more useful info just googling the topics.
0Comment21 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2013
If you are a first-time tablet user, do NOT buy this book: it is dreadful. As a neophyte, I want to know the tablets main capabilities, i.e., does it play music & movies? can you download and read a book? can you type a document save it as a WORD file? etc. Nowhere is this summarized.It should be front and centre.
Further, the explanations are convoluted and often lacking. Example, it describes how to type text and then how to close this feature. However it doesn't tell you how to open the feature or how to save files.
Another example, the index has nothing under Photos. So how the dickens do you find out about taking photos, or not?
I could go on for a long time. This book may be a useful reference for those already familiar with other tablets, but for a total beginner, that is, a dummy, it useless and very frustrating.
33 comments9 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2012
I would recommend Nexus for Dummies for anyone who has a new Nexus 7 and has very little experience. There are many hints of ways to use the product that would have taken me much longer to discover if left on my own. If you had experience with an iphone or another android product, you may not need this book.
on January 3, 2013
I am computer stupid. I am now able to use my nexus 7 to it's max. This is written so everyone can understand.
on December 28, 2012
This book covers many things that I have not found elsewhere, like where to find the camera. No instructions came with my Nexus and so I didn't know that I had to download certain things in order to use certain features. A real lifesaver of a book.
on February 1, 2013
Apparently I am dumber than most. I do not know how to go to different chapters and pages , so this format was not good for me at all. I then bought the book, to my dismay, it is also difficult for me to navigate to answer the questions that I have. i am still working at it but it is very frustrating.