3,037 Reviews
 (1,937)

1,532 of 1,621 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars HUGE improvement over the original model
**REVIEW UPDATED ON 7/30/13 - Updated speakers, "other features", battery life, gripes**

For anyone on the fence, and especially for those frustrated by the performance slowdown issues with the original Nexus 7 tablet, don't let that scare you off from buying the second generation model.

Google made all of the right improvements to the product, and...
Published 9 months ago by Dangs

3.0 out of 5 stars Best Android Tablet to date but has issues
***(Updated 8-30-2013)

I have both the Original Nexus 7 and Second Generation Nexus 7 and I've been using the new Nexus 7 constantly for over 3 weeks now.

ISSUES:
***GPS - Issue resolved with Android Build Number JSS15Q
Published 8 months ago by Ezareth

1,532 of 1,621 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars HUGE improvement over the original model, July 26, 2013
This review is from: Nexus 7 from Google (7-Inch, 16 GB, Black) by ASUS (2013) Tablet (Personal Computers)

Google made all of the right improvements to the product, and the result is a significantly improved product for a marginally higher cost. Only time will tell if this unit suffers the same performance fate as the original model (for those not familiar, over time, the first generation tablets tended to quickly slow down and struggle to perform even basic tasks like browsing the internet). However, Android 4.3 feels ultra-smooth so far, and I am hoping that Google and Asus learned from their original mistakes.

SCREEN: The new screen is absolutely stunning. Some people argue that the resolution of 323 pixels per inch is unnecessary, but you can really see the difference when you use it in person. Text is significantly sharper and a little easier on the eye to read. Using the tablet to watch videos and see pictures produces a stunning result.

PROCESSOR: This is the #1 reason I'd recommend this new, upgraded Nexus 7 over the older version. The speed upgrade is unquestionably immense, and to those who have used the older and newest model Nexus 7, you will notice and appreciate this immediately. Apps load instantly; the internet browsing experience is smooth and a very welcome upgrade over past performance. It's strange; a few days ago I was satisfied with the decent albeit declining performance of my 1st Gen Nexus 7. Now that I have this new one, I use them both side by side and the older model feels like a dinosaur. This alone is reason enough to upgrade.

SIZE/WEIGHT: The reduced thickness and weight of the tablet is very noticeable. I often times used my old Nexus 7 tablet while sitting in bed, to check email and browse the web prior to going to sleep. Holding the old Nexus in one hand, and the new one in the other, the differences in size and weight are VERY noticeable. No doubt will provide a more comfortable long term usage experience, especially for extended sessions while on flights or the subway.

BATTERY LIFE: After a couple days of using this new Nexus 7, I can confidently say that the battery life has been significantly improved over the original model. My previous session of about 2 hours straight of use (screen on, using apps that draw semi-frequent data over wi-fi) drained only 20% of the battery life. If I project this out, it would tell me that I could get 10 hours of constant use on one full charge. I haven't run through an entire charge yet from 100% down to 0% (I've been recharging after each use), but I'll try to get to that sometime this week and report back on my total real-world battery life.

CAMERAS: Google added a rear-facing Camera on this new second gen Nexus. While I typically wouldn't use my tablet as a camera, I have tried it out and it takes excellent pictures. Focuses quickly, the images are sharp and the low light performance, while not great, is better than I would have expected. The front-facing camera gets more use for me (I use my tablets to Skype with family). The new front facing camera is noticeably sharper and better in lower light situations than the original Nexus 7 camera was. In low light, the old model was almost unusable. The 2nd gen Nexus 7 low light performance is very acceptable.

SPEAKERS: I've now spent some time using this second-gen Nexus 7 side by side with my original Nexus 7. Separately, they both sound very acceptable for speakers from small tablets. Using them side by side, the improvements to the Nexus 7 are very noticeable, and the sound is more clear even at high volumes. I'd say that this new model sounds far less "tinny" than the original Nexus did. Personally, I don't use the built-in speakers often (I'm normally either listening with headphones, or using bluetooth audio to my Logitech Boombox). But for people who do use the built-in speakers to play music or watch movies, you will appreciate the improvement in the speakers.

OTHER FEATURES: Last night, I realized that this tablet is compatible with Qi Wireless Charging, a discovery which made me VERY happy. I use a Nexus 4 cell phone, and I keep it on my nightstand on the Google Nexus Charging Orb. I attempted to use the orb with this new Nexus 7 tablet, and it worked perfectly. You have to sit the tablet landscape, with the orb centered on the tablet, and it synced up and began charging instantly.

COMPARISONS: I will update this section shortly with my comparison review between this 2nd Gen Nexus 7, the iPad Mini, and the Kindle Fire HD, as soon as I've had more time to test them all side by side.

GRIPES AND COMPLAINTS: Here, I'll list any gripes that I have about the tablet. My first major gripe is that I am not a huge fan of the texture/material used on the back of the tablet. It's a slightly rubberized feeling coating, which I assume they did to create additional grip. However, I've been finding that after holding with one hand for a few minutes, I notice the tablet starting to slide a little bit in my hand. I think this is a combination of the new texture plus the fact that it's thinner than it used to be. I'm probably going to be purchasing a case for it shortly, which should alleviate this problem, but it is still worth noting. This is just a personal preference things (if you normally hold it landscape w/ two hands, you'll probably prefer this new texture over the old one).

All in all, I am VERY impressed with how much faster this tablet is than my original Nexus 7 tablet. As long as this model doesn't suffer the performance slowdown issue of the original Nexus 7, I don't anticipate moving this away from a 5 star product anytime soon, but only time will tell I guess. I will keep this review updated as I go, and add thoughts on more features once I test them out further (the speakers, longer term battery life tests, performance slowdown, etc). If you have anything else you want me to address, please let me know in the comments section and I will be glad to address it.

1,278 of 1,376 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to be a snappy little tablet..., July 26, 2013
S. Sale (East Peoria, IL USA) - See all my reviews
*** This review is for a 32GB, WiFi only tablet.

I just picked one of these little guys at my local BB presale because I'm impatient and had to try one. Yes, I actually have one and I'm not BS'ing.

Being an IT professional, I've used a variety of Android and Apple devices, probably dozens at this point. I'm well versed in Apple, Android and Microsoft world, and have a MCSE/MCSA and half a dozen other MS/IT certs, so I know what I'm talking about.

I suspect it will take a month or two before I'm fully versed in the eccentricities of this tablet, but here is my 3 hours of use review:

First Impressions:

Upon receiving the box, I was pleasantly surprised by how small and minimal it is. Very similar to Apple packaging, which is best in the business in my opinion. Upon turning it on and signing into my Google account, I was immediately greeted by several updates. 0-day updates to be expected from a major release and are appreciated.

As usual, my Google account wanted to sync all my previous Play Store apps onto the device which I immediately stopped. No stupid Verizon apps for you! One of my primary reason for getting this tablet was for gaming. I'm disappointed by the horridly slow memory on my old Kindle Fire, and I hate the uphill battle that comes with trying to Jailbreak and install emulators on Apple tablets. I nearly bought a Nexus 7 Gen1 until I heard it had slow storage as well. Once I heard that Nexus 7 Gen2 had greatly improved storage speeds, as well as better specs down the board, I was sold. I won't bore you with all the specs, as you can read those in the Amazon description above. However, I must point out one particularly great spec that this tablet has, and many covet: a 1080p screen on a 7" tablet. There are no current 7" tablets on the market that match that PPI, but I'm sure Apple's iPad mini 2 will match or come close to it. (when it comes out)

Performance:

I have no gear to officially test the dynamic contrast and black levels of the screen, but CNET (Normally Apple biased) gave a very impressive 570/0.44 cd/m2 for it's max brightness/black level, putting it at 1,295:1 contrast ratio, beating the socks off the iPad Mini's 814:1, and the old Nexus 7 at 1,028:1. I notice this most in black and white movies like Casablanca, (my usual test) but color also pops much better too. The color levels are more accurate across the board than the greenish tint of the first N7, and give Apple a run for the money.

If gaming is your target, it's interesting to find that the Nexus 7 Gen2 meets or exceeds the iPad Gen4. GFXBench tests put the N7g2 consistently in line with the iPad, no small feat for a sub-$300 device. I confirmed this performance by playing a number of games and finding that I couldn't slow this little guy down; Galaxy on Fire's new android release, Project Y, and a host of old standbys. It runs an Adreno 320, the same as the mighty HTC One, so if an HTC One plays it well, the Nexus 7 will too. It also typically beats a Nexus 10 in all tests, so if your choice between these two tablets is speed, the N7 is the obvious winner.

When I got the tablet it was at 50% battery life. It took about 2 hours before it was at 100%. I'm guessing it will take 3-4 hours with the shipped charger to bring it from 0 to 100.

Other improvements:

The improvements in Android 4.3 are not going to be apparent for a while, as the main improvements are OpenGL ES 3.0 and app security permissions. However, it also includes battery improvements which seem to stretch an additional hour of video watching despite it's slightly smaller battery. It's also a little thinner than the 1st gen Nexus 7, by around 1.8mm. Usually thin tablets annoy me and are awkward to hold, but the Nexus 7 has comfortable rounded sides and a soft rubber back. The front is a fingerprint magnet of course.

Value and software:

Last but not least, the Nexus 7 is only $230 for a 16GB model, or $270 for 32GB. Compare this to an iPad mini at $330 for a 16GB model, or a 32GB at $430. The original Nexus 7 seems to be going for under $200 now, so if all you need is a nice internet browser and like to dabble in everything else, the Nexus 7 Gen 1 is actually a great deal.

A last positive comes in the form of the Apple/Android philosophy. This baby comes ready to be loaded up with any ROM you chose, as do all of the Nexus series. There aren't any real releases yet, but I expect there to be some great ones over the next few months. Apple does it's best to prevent Jailbreaking. If you don't know the benefits of either, and consider yourself a tinkerer, then you may want to brush up on them.

The other part of this Android/Apple philosophical difference takes the place of Apple censorship. I HATE IT. Apple tries it's best to keep it's store locked down with American prude censorship. Google doesn't. Apple also nixes nearly any emulator apps they can. This means no DOSBox, SNES, NES, Genesis and Playstation emulators for you if you're stuck on an Apple device. That sucks a big one. One of the big reasons I will not pick up an IOS device.

Now for negatives:

1.) The obvious being that the Google Play Store gets some games later than the Apple App Store. Nearly all the "good" games are available on both within months, but the tendency is for Apple to get the initial release followed closely. by Play Store. However, the total number of Apps in either store is now shifted into Google's favor, as it now has over 1,000,00 apps compared to Apple's 900,000+, with the lead growing each month. So let the stupid, "My tablet has more apps" argument die, as it doesn't matter anymore.

2.) The widescreen format and shape can be awkward for some, but I got used to it quickly.

3.) There is no SD card slot. We already expected this as the previous didn't have one, but I really wish it had one so I could load it up with music and movies. Heck, I've got a 64GB microSD card in my phone. Why can't a much larger tablet have one too?

Other than that, I am struggling to find a negative with this tablet. Once again, I think I'll give it a few weeks before I can fully flesh out this review. Until then, I'm gonna enjoy messing with this little guy.

Edit: 48 hours later...

Now that I've had the tablet for a couple days and kicked it around a bit more, I'm still holding firm on my previous statements. I've loaded up Jet Set Radio, Dolphin, Labtech Control Center and a number of other apps to see how well it handles a variety of content. I must say, I'm not having any issues. I loaded up 3DMark so I could see for myself how well it handles a heavy load on it's GPU, and it breezed through even on Extreme, achieving a score of around 6300. The first Nexus is only able to pull off around 1900, making the new model over 3 times faster.

The battery life has been good, as it seems to still have 25-50% charge after a day of moderate to heavy use.

One detail I didn't realize before, but now find apparent is that while the speakers sound good for built in tiny tablet speakers, the volume levels are capped to achieve this. Before the speakers begin to distort bass, the top volume levels out. I kind of wish it could go little further so I could use it for a portable radio while I'm cleaning, but I suppose headphones will fix that. It fits in a pants pocket like a big mp3 player, something I can't pull off with an iPad mini. The iPad mini is 5.3 inches wide, while the Nexus 7 is about 4.7 inches. The widescreen just barely makes it into a back or side pocket without being too tight.

Edit: 7/29

Another detail I've heard from at least one reviewer is that of dead pixels. I HIGHLY recommend running the free app, "Dead Pixel Test" as soon as you can. I discovered only two dead pixels on my tablet, both in the top. One is incredibly hard to see except at an angle, and only then in complete black. The other is slightly more visible, but only at an angle again. Dead pixels are to be expected on an high density display, so be extra diligent to identify whether or not your display has a serious problem with dead or stuck pixels. Mine are minor, but a few significant reports have surfaced.

Edit: 8/6/13

After around 2 weeks of use, I'm very happy with the tablet. It has done well with battery life throughout a day or two of moderate use and occasional gaming. I'm waiting on an ultra-slim case from Moko, but would like to see that "Premium Official Case" come out so I can decide if it's worth it. Word on the street is the official travel case is not worth the $20 they are asking.

Edit: 9/18/13

I've now had the tablet for almost 2 months and I'm 100% sold on it. It's fast, reliable and just about the perfect size for taking anywhere. I take it to customer sites to use WiFi-Analyzer, take notes, check email, Remote Desktop into PCs/Servers, change configs on network equipment and many other things. My Kindle Fire is now converted into a semi-dedicated iTunes remote because I'm so spoiled by the responsiveness of my Nexus 7.

Also, I rooted it about a week or so ago and put a lean version of 4.3 on it. It's even faster now! I also love the Moko ultra-slim case I put on it. It doesn't add bulk, the magnetic clamps seem to be holding up, and it looks nice.

I'm a very satisfied fan of this tablet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Best Android Tablet to date but has issues, July 31, 2013
***(Updated 8-30-2013)

ISSUES:
***GPS - Issue resolved with Android Build Number JSS15Q
There was an issue with all Nexus 7 FHD Tablets where the GPS location would freeze and the only way to get it working again was to reboot the tablet.

Wifi - In my home the new Nexus has issues finding and connecting to my home network and it drops occasionally despite not having this issue with my old Nexus 7 (running 4.1), TV, PS3 and other devices on my WiFi in the area.
***This is a confirmed issue with Android 4.3, not the Nexus 7 FHD. I've experienced the same issue on my old Nexus 7 once I updated it to 4.3 and it has never had a Wifi issue before now.

Initial Reboot Issue - The first night using the new tablet I was playing a game when it just instantly powered off mid-game. When I booted it back up I got a "Enter password to decrypt Storage message" despite never decrypting or setting a password on anything. There was no way to get past this screen short of restoring the entire tablet back to factory condition which was relatively simple but I lost everything I had on my tablet at that point.
*** I still get a random reboot in the middle of using my tablet every couple of weeks but haven't had to rebuild it yet

OBSERVATIONS:

*** Battery - One key difference I'd like to point out as a major advantage over the old Tablet isn't as much the battery life which lasts slightly longer than the old Nexus 7, but the fact you can use the tablet while it is plugged into the charger and it will slowly CHARGE, while the old Tablet would slowly DRAIN. This is important for power users and people who will be using it for long periods to watch movies/Netflix etc.

Look and feel - I love the way the new Nexus feels in your hand compared to the old one. The difference in the width makes holding the new nexus in your hand much more comfortable. It is slightly longer however and I wish they had taken the opportunity to shorten it as well.

Screen - Everyone has been saying how noticeably better the screen is but honestly despite having a much higher resolution and pixel density I haven't been able to see a marked difference although the new screen is definitely brighter. I've played Netflix side by side with the old one on the same show and they look identical in every way. I've tested dozens of websites side by side now and there is no discernible difference between the screens when viewing web content. I haven't had a chance to try out any non-streaming movies yet but I think for every day usage you're not going to notice a difference when comparing it to the old Nexus 7. This isn't because the new screen is bad, only that the old Nexus 7 has an excellent screen and there are rapidly diminishing degrees of noticeability beyond that point.

Camera - The new camera for a 5MP camera actually takes pretty fair shots and I'm glad they included it. They actually look better than the photos taken with the 5MP camera on my Galaxy Nexus and the new Nexus 7 is much better at taking low light shots.

Speakers - In my Netflix test I could detect slightly better sound on the new Nexus in stereo but it was barely noticeable to me. The difference between the two is hardly worth mentioning and neither one is going to give you any sort of quality sound.

Performance - This is where the new Nexus is noticeably faster and the UI feels more responsive. I tested out several games that would be choppy on my old Nexus at times and experienced none of that on the new Nexus. One thing I haven't seen people note however is that although the new GPU is approximately 4 times faster, the resolution on the new Nexus has 2.3 times the pixels so your true performance increase from a hardware perspective graphically is going to be less than double, similar to the CPU performance increase. There has never been a time where I experienced any latency, stuttering or hesitance on the New Nexus 7, it operates flawlessly in this regard

Operating System - 4.3 Android was just pushed to my old Nexus 7 last night. This includes TRIM support which is one of the reasons many people experienced a slow down with time on their old Nexus (which I never have experienced since I wasn't a heavy installer/uninstaller). The update also includes Open GLES 3.0 so it is possible that games will run smoother on the old Nexus as well. Nothing really to contrast here now.

HDMI Out (With Slimport Adapter) - I picked up a new Slimport adapater and the HDMI out functionality works flawlessly, but when you plug in your AC charger into it, the Nexus 7 only registers it as "USB" charging which still slowly drains the battery. I tested it using Netflix against my Playstation 3 on my Samsung 52" 1080P TV running the same show and the two looked and sounded identical with the exception of the Nexus 7 having a slightly clipped black border around the edges of the Television. I tested it for an hour with the charger plugged in and lost 8% Battery so as long as you start using it with a full battery you shouldn't run into issues there.

PROs:
Better form factor and higher quality "feel"
Noticable Performance Improvements
HDMI Out (With Slimport adapter)
Improved Battery Life and more efficient power useage
5 MP Front facing Camera
Brighter screen with a higher pixel density

CONs:
Wifi Issues
Occasional Reboots
More Expensive than old Nexus 7

SUMMARY: If you currently own a Nexus 7 I would say the extra expense isn't worth the marginal upgrades unless you need something the new one in particular offers(HDMI Out/Front Facing Camera). In my case I'm giving my old Nexus 7 to my wife so my upgrade serves a dual purpose. If you don't currently own an android tablet or want a small form factor tablet then this tablet is the best money can buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy!, July 26, 2013
Let me preface this by saying that I am by no means a casual tablet user; I'm a tech geek. I got the original Nexus 7 on the release date and I have been lucky to get the new Nexus 7 before its official release. I will be reviewing this tablet as it suits me, and my needs from a tablet are most likely going to be different from those of the typical user. However, I'll do my best to shed some light on this tablet even if I've only had it for a couple of days. I'm going to be dividing my review into several sections.

Design: The new Nexus 7 definitely is lighter than its predecessor; that's apparent right away. While it isn't quite as thin as the iPad Mini, I am not one to get into the hype on thinness. It is thin enough, and that is all that I care about. One of the things highlighted by Google was the thinner bezels on the side. This may just be me, but I don't really like the new bezel. I like resting my thumbs on the side of the device and it seems like I won't be able to do that anymore. Also, the top and bottom bezels look a lot longer. (I don't know whether they actually are or that is just how they look in relation to the thinner side bezels.) I use my tablet almost exclusively in portrait mode, so this new bezel layout doesn't suit me too well. However, if you like using your tablet in landscape, I can definitely see how the new bezel layout would be an improvement. Maybe I'll get used to the new bezel after a couple weeks of use.

Screen: I was more than happy with the 720p screen of the original Nexus 7. It looks even better with the new 1080p screen. However, the thing which was even more apparent to me than the higher resolution was the increased color saturation. Everything on my original Nexus 7 seemed washed out and dull, but that is not the case with the new Nexus. And there is no flickering or any of the other issues the original nexus's had. Also, a thing that is worth mentioning: with my original nexus, I noticed that sometimes when I tried to flip between home screens with a very light stroke it would not register. It would flick back to the screen I had started at. This seems to have been fixed with the new Nexus 7.

Speed: The 2GB of ram on this device are absolutely crucial. That was (in my opinion) the main thing holding the original nexus 7 back. While the new processor isn't the snapdragon 600 we were all hoping for, it is far better than the Tegra 3 processor in the original nexus 7. Note for people considering upgrading: the architecture of the Tegra 3 doesn't allow for Open GL 3.0, so original Nexus 7 users will not be getting it. Overall, the speed of the tablet doesn't appear to be much faster; the original nexus 7 is by no means slow. But I feel that with time the speed difference will become much more apparent.

OS: Android 4.3 is nothing new: far from the long awaited Key Lime Pie. It is a great operating system that functions well, but if you are looking for a new interface, look elsewhere.

Speakers: They are a definite improvement over the original nexus 7. I wish they would have been front facing, but you can't get everything you want.

Cameras: The cameras are nothing special. Your phone most likely has a better rear and front facing camera. But for video chatting, they work well enough. I personally have no need for the additional rear camera (and I refuse to look like a fool taking pictures and videos with my tablet), but I do know others will appreciate the rear camera.

Overall, this device improves on the original Nexus 7 in nearly every way. I haven't gotten too much time to test everything on the device (cut me some slack; I've only had it for two days) but from what I have seen, it looks to be a good tablet for a great price. At the moment, it is the best 7" tablet on the market - no doubt. If you don't have a 7" tablet and are interested, you should definitely buy this. If you are considering upgrading from the original Nexus 7, then it matters what your individual preferences are. If you are frustrated with the old Nexus 7's dull screen, lack of a rear camera, or like living on the cutting edge of technology, then you should definitely jump on the new Nexus 7. For $229 and $269, the Nexus 7 is a no-brainer.

One gripe I have with the new Nexus 7 is the lack of a new name. It makes writing a review much harder because I always have to refer to it as the "old" Nexus 7 or the "new" Nexus 7. But that has nothing to do with the device. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great! make sure to run updates, August 6, 2013
I am going to defer 99% of my review to others. Yes it's got an amazing form factor. The screen is impeccable. blah blah blah. If you are reading this, then you probably have read a dozen other reviews already. So let me focus my review on two things:

1) Wifi streaming of DLNA server content: The biggest knock on the original Nexus was the poor wifi adapter. When I first started using my new Nexus 7 for DLNA streaming 1080p mkv files a couple of days ago, nothing worked. In fact, the new Nexus 7 couldn't even stream 720p mkv files. For DLNA streaming, I run PS3 media server on my computer. On the Nexus 7, I use Bubble uPnP as my DLNA client and MX Player as my player. After the most recent MX Player patch and the Nexus 7 patch, I am able to stream 1080p mkv content flawlessly. That which would not work pre-patch is now working without stutter. So the wifi adapter appears to be a lot better than the original Nexus 7. I am sustaining anywhere from 70-150 Mbps speeds. More than adequate for my needs.

2) So with the streaming thing fixed, I only have one remaining issue with the Nexus 7. Chrome, yes Google Chrome. I find it difficult to select hyperlinks on chrome. There is a delay before my touch activation of a hyperlink takes effect. It's not always like this, but this delay occurs about 50% of the time. 4.3 is still being patched and app makers are still optimizing their content, so it is possible that this is just an early Nexus 7/4.3 issue. Hopefully it isn't the actual touch sensor on the screen. I wouldn't call it a show stopper, but it is a significant nuisance. Additionally, there is slight tearing of the page when i scroll. I am a fast reader, so I tend scroll webpages and read simultaneously. With the tearing, it is quite annoying. All these issues seem to be related specifically to chrome.

One final addendum: 4.3 defaults. The wireless adapter doesn't run on high settings out of the box. You actually have to go into the settings to change this. I guess they did this to increase battery life for the majority of users. But if you are a power user, then I recommend you go into wifi settings and change it. Unchecking "Wi-Fi optimization" changed my Nexus 7 from wireless G(54Mbps) to wireless N(~70Mbps@2.4 Ghz and ~150Mbps@5Ghz for this model). So the "optimization" is a misnomer. It doesn't optimize the wifi, it optimizes the battery and weakens the wifi. The other feature I would shut off is "scanning always available". When I shut off my wifi, I don't want my wifi to be scanning for open networks, for battery conservation and for security reasons. So if you change those two settings, you should be green on your wifi.

Regarding all the other features, I defer to others' comments. This is a fantastic product. Not only is it the best 7" tablet right now, I believe it to be the best tablet PERIOD. I do read the comments, so if you would like me to test other features, please let me know. I have quite a bit of technical knowledge and experience with android, and I will try to help where possible.

UPDATE
When I use Dolphin browser, the hyperlink issue stated above and the tearing when scrolling is gone. So for now, I will be using the Dolphin Browser. Chrome seems to be buggy/laggy in android 4.3/nexus 7. So it appears the touch sensor is not the problem, which is good news.

ADDENDUM
I have been asked to speak on the GPS issue that is being reported on Nexus 7 FHD. I use my phone for gps and don't plan on using the Nexus 7 for GPS...but I tested it any ways for you all. Currently, I am unable to get any type of GPS satellite lock. "Searching for GPS" is the error I get continually. Google recently stated they are aware of this issue and are currently working to resolve it. Now ASUS is notorious for having horrible GPS antennas in their devices. If you think GPS is a make or break feature, then I would hold off on buying the Nexus 7. There is no guarantee that the GPS issue is a software issue, i.e. can be resolved with a patch. If it is a hardware issue, which is yet unclear, then you may be buying a device incapable of real-world GPS functionality. If this changes, and I will test it the next time I see a patch, I will return here with another addendum.

UPDATE 9/23/2013
GPS is now working. Well, let me rephrase that. I am some times able to get GPS lock. By no means is it reliable yet. At least I can now some times get GPS lock. If you have a phone, use that. I wouldn't rely on this tablet currently as your sole source of GPS.

UPDATE 11/25/2013
KitKat is out for the Nexus 7. So far, I notice a vast improvement while web browsing.

4.0 out of 5 stars The tablet I've been waiting for, July 29, 2013
Ed (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
The original Nexus 7 tablet was a favorite among many. I made the decision to get a Nexus 7 a few months ago, but decided to wait it out for the new version, and I'm glad I did for the most part. The new Nexus 7 (2013) is better than the old Nexus 7 (2012) in every way, except possibly the material used for the back.

PROS
- Gorgeous 7-inch screen
- Great build quality
- Fast performance
- Latest version of Android (4.3)
- Qi compatible wireless charging
- Solid battery life
- Very thin and light
- Easy to hold one handed
- Stereo speakers

CONS
- Average front and rear cameras
- No microSD card expansion
- Big bezels

DESIGN
The new Nexus 7 is very thin and light. It's lighter than the iPad Mini and almost as thin. The narrow width of the Nexus 7 actually makes it easy to hold one-handed, even for people with small hands. It does have a fairly significant bezel on the top and bottom, when held in portrait mode, but it's no worse than the bezel around the Kindle Fire HD 7". Presumably, the big bezel helps when gripping the Nexus 7 in landscape mode, so your fingers aren't accidentally tapping on the active screen. The big bezel doesn't bother me in the least, but some people may be bothered by the aesthetics.

The micro-USB port is actually a special dual purpose port called a SlimPort. It allows you to use a special SlimPort HDMI adapter to connect your Nexus 7 to an external display. I actually found it a little hard to tell which way the micro-USB cable plugged in to the port. I have gobs of devices that use micro-USB and this was the first time I wasn't sure which way to plug it in. I eventually figured out that the short end goes toward the back, or just plug the charging cable in to the Nexus 7 with the USB icon facing up.

Speaking of the back, the back of the new Nexus 7 uses a soft-touch material that's common in a lot of devices these days, including the Kindle Fire HD. I don't mind the feel of the material and I actually quite like it in most devices. However, a lot of people really liked the feel of the old Nexus 7's back, which I've heard described as a leather-like driving glove. I've personally never held the old Nexus 7, so I can't say which I prefer.

The only physical buttons on the new Nexus 7 are the power/lock and volume keys, which are located on the upper part of the right side. The 3.5mm headphone jack is located on the top and the previously mentioned micro-USB/SlimPort is located at the bottom of the Nexus 7.

There's a fixed focus 1.2MP camera in the front and a 5MP autofocus camera in the back. Neither are that great, but work OK in a pinch. I would personally prefer a higher quality camera in the front and no camera in the back. Video hangouts and Skype chats over video are so convenient with a tablet, but often lack quality because the cameras are blah. Omitting the camera in the back would also solve a pet peeve of mine: people taking photos and videos in public with their tablets.

The overall build quality of the new Nexus 7 is excellent. The entire tablet feels solid and dense, which makes it feel like a premium piece of gear.

DISPLAY
In my opinion, if you can only have one personal tablet, 7-inch tablets are the best option for most people. 10-inch tablets are great for watching videos, but can be awkward to hold. There's a reason why the Apple iPad Mini is so popular now, despite what Steve Jobs said about smaller tablets. I nearly got the iPad Mini when it was released, but its disappointing screen kept me from plunking down money on the first gen version.

The new Nexus 7's display has 323 ppi (pixels per inch), which makes it currently the sharpest screen available on a tablet -- even better than the retina iPad (4th gen). The screen resolution goes up from 1280 x 800 on the original Nexus 7, to 1920 x 1200 on the 2013 version. There a lot of screen real estate to work with here; I can fit 36 1x1 icons on a single screen.

Text on the new Nexus 7 is extremely sharp and 1080p HD videos look terrific. Colors look accurate and well saturated to my eyes, but I'm certainly not a color expert. Also worth noting is that the glass is made by Corning, but I'm not entirely sure if it's Gorilla Glass. It's just described as "scratch resistant Corning glass."

Below are the display specs on some other tablets:

324 ppi iPad Mini 2 2048 x 1536 * rumored
323 ppi Nexus 7 (2013) 1920 x 1200
264 ppi Retina iPad (4th gen) 2048 x 1536
216 ppi Nexus 7 (2012) 1280 x 800
216 ppi Kindle Fire HD 7" 1280 x 800
189 ppi Samsung Note 8 1280 x 800
163 ppi iPad Mini 1024 x 768

PERFORMANCE
The Nexus 7 (2013) uses a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro CPU clocked at 1.5GHz and a 400MHz Adreno 320 GPU. Navigating the Nexus 7 is very responsive and peppy. 1080p HD videos I loaded on it played without any stuttering or artifacts and games looked terrific. Riptide GP2 by Vector Unit was heavily demoed during the release of the new Nexus 7, but they have another game called Beach Buggy Blitz (Free) that also does a good job of showing off the Nexus 7's graphics prowess. Of course, continuous run-games like Subway Surfers, Temple Run, Iron Man 3, etc., all load up quickly and run well on the new Nexus 7.

The Wi-Fi card in the new Nexus 7 supports dual-bands and up to 802.11n. It always pains me when I have to put a new device on my 2.4GHz network, so I'm very happy that I can put the new Nexus 7 on my 5GHz network. My connection has been very good and I haven't experienced a single dropout or other wireless connectivity problems.

The new Nexus 7 now has stereo speakers built in, like the Kindle Fire HD. They sound pretty good, but the Kindle Fire HD's speakers still sound better. In noisy environments, however, neither one of them are easy to hear. I still prefer a Bluetooth speaker or headphones, if I'm going to watch a movie or listen to music. I haven't done enough critical listening yet to say whether or not the Fraunhofer Cingo virtual surround sound works, but I haven't been disappointed in the few hours that I've listened to the Nexus 7 using my Logitech UE 6000 headphones.

When I plugged the new Nexus 7 into my PC, Windows 7 recognized it immediately and installed the driver. It showed up as a device and I was able to transfer files back and forth, albeit a little slowly. I should also mention that on the 32GB model, there is 25.57GB of free space available after you're done setting it up and installing the updates.

ANDROID
The new Nexus 7 comes pre-installed with Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean), which is the most current version of Android available. Some of its new features include restricted user profiles, Bluetooth Smart, and OpenGL ES 3.0 (3D graphics). The version of Android 4.3 on a Nexus device like the Nexus 7, is of course, pure Google. Not only does the Nexus 7 not have any third-party skins like HTC's Sense or Samsung's TouchWiz, but it doesn't have any third-party crapware either; it's all Google. The following apps come preloaded on the Nexus 7: Chrome, Gmail, Calendar, Currents, Drive, Earth, Keep, Keyboard, Play Books, Play Magazines, Play Movies & TV, Play Music, Search, Google+, Hangouts, Maps, Street View (Maps), and YouTube.

Android, as a mobile operating system and as an ecosystem, has matured a great deal in a very short amount of time. Android devices are very stable these days, at least those from the major manufacturers. I remember when app force closures were a common occurrence. System hangs and random reboots also happened on a fairly regular basis. But that's just not the case anymore. Google, hardware makers, and app developers, have all done a great job in making Android an amazing ecosystem well worth investing in. And if you want that pure Google experience, there's no better way to get it than from a Nexus device. The only drawback, for now, is that developers still aren't very quick to optimize their apps for tablets, but that's certainly been improving.

BATTERY
The new Nexus 7 has a 3950 mAh battery, which is rated at about nine hours of "active use." It also has built-in support for wireless charging via Qi-compatible chargers, like the Nexus 4's wireless charger. From my own observations, it seems like I can easily go a full day with heavy use, or a few days with casual use.

CONCLUSION
Hardware-wise, the Nexus 7 is absolutely the best small tablet available right now. Its screen quality, performance, and build quality are all top notch. Its size makes it very easy to hold, even one-handed, and is great for reading, checking emails, watching videos, and playing games. It's also running the latest version of Android, so you get the most advanced and feature-rich version of Android yet. If you're looking for a small tablet right now, the new Nexus 7 (2013) has to be at the top of your list. Other small tablets I'd recommend considering are the iPad Mini, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0, Kindle Fire HD 7", and the old Nexus 7 (2012). But if I'm being honest here, the one I'm really recommending is the new Nexus 7 (2013).

3.0 out of 5 stars In-depth Nexus 7 (2013) Review, August 15, 2013
I've been using my new Nexus 7 (2013) for about three weeks now and would have to say it has been somewhat of a love/hate relationship. My wife has had the Nexus 7 (2012) for about a year or so and has loved it, which is part of the reason I ended up switching from my iPad to the newer model. Below is an in-depth look at a few aspects of this new Google device:

Form Factor:
There is less bezel around the screen in the new model, which makes it look a little funny, but makes it easier to hold and use. The device seems well constructed and from everything I've read online deals with drops very well. The back of the device is much smoother than the 2012 model, which I like better.

Cameras:
Front facing camera is pretty clear while video chatting on Hangouts, so it does the job. The back facing camera does not do a great job capturing pictures, mainly due to its low quality, however who is really planning on taking tons of photos with their tablet?

Storage:
I purchased the 16 GB model hoping it would be large enough to hold all my applications, pictures, and music. After getting everything I want on it and around 50-60 songs, it still has around 14 GB left, which is pretty awesome. My Galaxy S4 is 16 GB, but only has around 5 with just applications and a few songs on it, so it really pays to get rid of the bloatware. I would only recommend the 32 GB model if you think you might want to hold a lot of video for traveling or something.

Speed:
The 2013 model is blazing fast! Even the 2012 model still moves along, but there is no comparison when downloading or playing games. Very rarely am I waiting for something to load or download. The 2 GB of memory really help this tablet handle the multi-tasking Android is known for.

WiFi:
I have not had any issues connecting to multiple routers and the signal strength is always right where it should be.

GPS:
I have not really tested this, but from what I've read online the GPS is not working very well. Hopefully this is just a software issue and nothing hardware related.

Battery:
The battery in the 2013 model is actually smaller in capacity than the 2012 model, which means you are going to have to charge it more often. However, I'm thinking that due to the specs on this one and the extra memory it might not use as much battery. So far I've been about to go around 7-8 hours of play before having to recharge it.

Software:
The current version of Android on this device is the reason for only 3 stars. After having this device for a couple weeks, I shut it off and a day later turned it on. It sat on the X boot screen for probably 10 minutes before I did a hard reset and tried to turn it on again. After repeating this process 3 or 4 times I had to start reading online for solutions. Ended up finding a lot of other users that basically have bricked units that don't boot up. I then booted the Nexus into recovery mode and wiped it back to factory settings. It ended up coming back up, but of course I was forced to re-configure everything and re-download all of my applications. I've also had some issues with the launcher just stopping and restarting. So, be prepared to have some bugs. Most you can work around, but I read a lot of people having to contact Google for issues with betting stuck on the boot screen. I will update my review if I don't have any other problems (I'm not holding my breath on this one).

Chromecast:
The last area I want to touch on his the new Chromecast feature, which is probably one of the biggest reasons I left Apple. I love the idea that developers can add a few lines of code which allow you to push video and music to any TV is pretty cool. I know Apple has Airplay, but it is so locked down when it comes to what you can do and I see great potential in this. I've tested this pretty extensively with the new Nexus, pushing Netflix, YouTube, and Google Music to my television and it works great! If you are thinking about getting a Nexus really think about putting in an order for a Chromecast, because they make a great pair.

Conclusion:
The new Nexus 7 (2013) is more than likely the best tablet for the money on the market. The specs on it are impressive and it is extremely fast. Once again my only word of warning and reasons I took a few stars off, is the software. Be prepared for some bugs and to possibly have to spend some time researching issues that you might run into and worse case having to rebuild the device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best 7-inch Tablet. Period., October 4, 2013
When my 1.5 year old laptop decided its time was up, I thought it would be an opportune time to get a tablet. I already enjoy surfing the web and checking social media on my phone, so why not just get a bigger screen with the same experience? As a longtime Android user, naturally I shopped the Nexus devices first. After spending some time with both the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10, I was convinced that ~7 inches is the sweet spot for tablet screens from a usability and portability standpoint. The Nexus 7 impressed me in-store with its beautiful screen and simple, clean design. However, I also took a look at the latest iPads from Apple, as they are some truly impressive devices. The direct competitor the the N7 is the iPad mini, and while I was equally in love with the iPad's sleek aluminum body and slightly bigger screen size, the low-resolution screen and outdated hardware made spending $350+ on it difficult to justify.
I've had my Nexus 7 for almost 2 weeks now, and I only love it more with each passing day. After 2 weeks, I feel I can write an accurate review and let other tablet shoppers know just how good this thing is.

DISPLAY - The first thing you'll notice about this tablet is its stunning, gorgeous display. It's full-HD 1080p resolution, and is an IPS LCD screen, which means the colors are true-to-life and just perfect. You'd be hard pressed to find one pixel on this thing without some serious magnifying power, and from a normal viewing distance it's, again, simply stunning.

DESIGN - The Nexus 7's design is very good...clean and simple. The front of the device is glossy black glass, and when the display is off, it's very slick looking. There's a slight lip around the display, I assume to protect the display glass should you decide to rest the device on its face. The usual sleep/wake button and volume rocker reside on the right side of the tablet. Around back is a nice, matte black soft touch surface. It feels very satisfying in the hand, and feels far better than competing plastic tablets (albeit not quite as premium feeling as the iPad mini). In gloss black up the middle of the rear is the Nexus logo. Also in gloss black is the ring surrounding the 5MP camera. The Nexus 7 is pretty comfortable to use one handed, and feels like it costs more than it actually does.

PROCESSING HARDWARE - This is a quad core tablet with a quad core graphics processor, and it shows. The Nexus 7 zips through anything I've thrown at it, and has never tripped over itself thus far. Games render quickly, and have tons of fine detail that makes the N7 one of the best gaming tablets out there right now. Even with two user profiles set up, both running live wallpapers and tons of custom settings and widgets, it never thumbs its nose and is always up to the job.

AUDIO - I must admit, at first I didn't think I would use my tablet much for music as I already have 2 MP3 players and a phone. However, my first experience listening to my tunes through the built in stereo speakers with surround sound enhancement was so good, I decided to sync my Nexus with my Google Play library and try out the experience with earbuds. I pulled out my AKG earbuds, and was just blown away with the quality of the sound. Using the built in surround sound enhancer, you get the feeling you're in your own private concert hall. The sound is just impeccable, and well-balanced. Of course, you can fine-tune your sound output through the Google Play Music app, but the audio is excellent even on apps with no built in sound settings. Watching videos using the stereo speakers is a great experience as well. The sound is crisp, loud, and easy on the ears. Far better than the iPad speakers, and definitely at the top of the list for speaker and overall audio quality.

CAMERA - The 5MP camera actually takes very good pictures. Low-light performance is adequate, and the images are balanced. I think it's a little ridiculous to carry around a tablet for all your photography needs, however in a pinch where you HAVE to capture the moment, the Nexus 7 won't disappoint.

Overall, if you're in the market for a tablet, you have NO excuse to not consider the Nexus 7. It blows the more expensive competition away, and sacrifices nothing to maintain a low price. You get a premium feeling device that performs admirably, with a fantastic display, and the super smooth Android Jelly Bean OS. It's very easy to use, gives you a very refined and excellent experience, and will exceed all of your expectations. It's a great device, and I whole-heartedly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid introduction to the Android world., August 1, 2013
I'm an IOS user. Have been for a long time. Currently I'm running an iPad 4, Ipod touch 5th gen 64gb and an Iphone 5 with generations of Apple music players also lying around the house, but I wasn't going to just worship at the alter of Apple just because the Mini existed. That low resolution screen was a deal breaker for me, so knowing that I was in the market for a 7 inch tablet, the only one that stood out was the new Nexus 7.

So, my intent was to have it mimic everything that the Ipad 4th generation does with apps, function and see if it could handle itself in the real world, so I put most of the apps that I have on the iPad 4 on the Nexus 7 to see if there was any truth to the limitation of Android apps in the Google Play store. So far, I found them all, except HBOGo with Jellybean 4.3, which isn't compatible yet at this point, nor is the BBC iPlayer, but everything else works fine including apps that run through a VPN or Proxy.

I also use Bluetooth GPS hardware (Dual Electronics XGPS150 ) running Navigon mapping software with this Nexus 7 and have not only been impressed with the clarity of the screen, but everything has worked great as a navigation device so far. My understanding is that there's a GPS issue with the built in GPS that will need an O.S upgrade to fix, but I prefer using my external GPS and so far I've had no problems with Navigation using that external device.

I'm also running the Nexus 7 through a 3G/4G mifi wifi spot and that's also been pretty consistent. No drop offs and it's as quick to web surf as any IOS device.

I've also had a great experience with Seagate's 1TB wireless plus full of movies that I stream and import from the drive to the Nexus 7. With IOS, I use Nplayer, which does the job flawlessly. With the Nexus, I use Es File explorer to access the files on the drive, move them to a folder and play them with B.S player or stream them directly from B.S player through the wi-fi on the device and it's played everything I've thrown at it. Picture quality is great with the 16:9 ratio and sound is much better than on my IOS devices. 4:3 media files playing on the iPad IOS created either a stretched or squashed experience or showed the movie playing with letterbox black bars. Not the best of experiences. The 16:9 format is a much better experience for viewing your media.

The thing I like about the Nexus 7 and maybe now Android in general is it doesn't take the jailbreaking of the device just to do basic things like move around files. Plugging it in to a computer through USB and it shows up as a drive on my Windows P.C makes things really easy to transfer files as does connecting to my LAN to get something off of a connected device. The free ES file explorer app in the Google play store is just an excellent app allowing me to access all my files on the Nexus. I use iFile on my jailbroken IOS devices and Nplayer to run media, but somehow it's not as elegant and easy as it is with Android's open O.S.

For me, the device is pretty solid. I haven't used any Android tablets to compare it with, but the quality is solid, the screen is a huge leap up from the Mini ( friend has one ) and I'd say it has the edge over the Ipad 4. The O.S is pretty snappy. I'd say that IOS still is in front when it comes to the web surfing experience ( the screen's tactile feel with the web feels faster to respond to commands on IOS), but it's still very good on the Nexus and the ability to customize all aspects of Android without resorting to jailbreaking is welcome.

The other noticeable thing is that the ipad 4 now feels big and bulky, and the screens on the iphone and touch now seems too small, so I'm now seeing the benefits of a 7 inch screen which provides better clarity over the smaller IOS devices because of screen size and better portability over the iPad 4 because of its weight and dimensions.

Battery life, so far has been good, and most of the time I don't need the brightness setting so high which maximizes battery life. The only glitch I found was with auto brightness; the screen flickered a bit now and then. Turning that off solved the problem, so it's not a deal breaker for me that the screen is no longer working with auto-brightness. I'm used to that on my 5th generation touch....no auto-brightness setting.

I'll be curious to see in the coming months how the Nexus 7 handles the wear and tear of life. So far, I've had a very positive experience and I really like the form factor, the brilliant screen and the challenge of doing things the Android way rather than the IOS way. Don't get me wrong, I'm still an IOS fan and the iPad 4, iphone 5 and ipod touch 5th gen are excellent devices. I guess I was just getting a bit bored and was looking for something new. Glad I did, because the new Nexus 7 is an excellent device at an excellent price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little tablet, again. Recommended., July 26, 2013
Jon Folkers (Silver Spring, MD United States) - See all my reviews
I was a fan of the size and features of the original Nexus 7, so I stepped out to get one of the new models today. I wanted to see how the app and data synchronization works between two devices, and I'm likely going to gift the old one to my young daughter. Let's call the new device Nexus 7 (B) to differentiate it, since neither Google nor Asus has given it a new name.

The packaging is a nice slip-on gift box as you'd expect from this kind of device, with a splash of blue to differentiate it from Apple or Amazon tablets. First impressions as it comes out of the box are positive. Nexus 7 (B) is black-on-black-on-black: the power/volume buttons are black, the logos are black, the (slim, between the size of iPhone cube and iPad bricklet, very short cord) charger is black, the bezel is black, and the holes for the cameras (back and front, more on them later) are black. It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black. (Apologies to Nigel Tufnel, but it's true).

It makes the "old" (2012) Nexus 7 look like a tacky cheese ball when placed side by side. The silvery painted-plastic trim on the old one (all nicked and pitted in my case) is not missed at all. The new device is slimmer and flatter (no curved back) than the original. The rubbery backing is smooth, not "Steve McQueen Driving Gloves" texture like the original, but still pleasant to the touch and solid feeling. The front is a fingerprint magnet as you'd expect, like any black glass screen, but you won't notice when the screen is on. There are pinholes for stereo speakers in the back, at either end of the device, which sound fine for their size (audiophiles will use headphones, I presume).

Nexus 7 (B) ships with Android 4.3 out of the box, with a few tiny service updates to make you reboot after assigning a Google profile to the device. The default start screen comes with Chrome, YouTube, Google Maps, Gmail, Hangouts, and the new-to-Nexus 7- Camera app in the bottom dock. A shortcut to Google Play (App Store) is on the first page, along with a folder for shortcuts to Google apps for music, books, movies, magazines, photos, G+ (Facebook wannabe), Keep (Evernote wannabe), calendar, Currents (news magazine), gallery (formerly known as Picasa), and People (contacts).

Google Sync pulled my installed apps from their store, including additional data, upon first launch. Unlike Apple's iCloud backups, not everything is synchronized and backed up. I had to enter lots of third-party passwords to get going, and all my downloads in other folders were not carried over. If you live more or less exclusively in Google's world, they've taken care of you, but otherwise, you'll need to look after your own backups. I'll need to install Amazon's App Store and my Humble Bundle apps separately. No big deal, but be prepared for some file transfers if you think outside the Google box.

The screen is qualitatively "nicer" than the original Nexus screen, with blacks being more black and text looking as Retina (no pixels) as I could imagine. I haven't received the over-the-air update for 4.3 on my original unit, so I can't tell if subpixel rendering is better on the old screen, but side by side the new one is clearly superior. It's probably not enough of a difference to upgrade if you're happy with the current one, but after some time with the new screen, going back to the old one could be more noticeable. Think Retina iPad vs. iPad Mini (though the original Nexus screen resolution is better than iPad Mini in my opinion).

What's missing, besides that nasty silver plastic bezel? The pogo pins (which allow for zero-friction placement on a horizontal dock, for charging and audio output) are gone. To make up for that loss, Nexus 7 (B) includes a rear-facing camera. Like many early mobile phone cameras, it's better than nothing but far inferior to what is possible. It looks to be about on par with the rear camera in the iPad 3, and shares the same megapixel count. There's no flash and the image is noisy, even in the preview screen. You're not buying this for the camera. There's also a low-quality camera in the front of the unit for videoconferencing with Google Hangouts. This time around, it's offset to the right the top center, so you can use it in landscape orientation.

There is no SD card support. Also unsupported: Adobe Flash, floppy disks, slide-out keyboard, removable battery. It's a wonderful, inexpensive personal handheld computer, not a genie that wants to grant every wish you might have. These "limitations" are fine with me.

Performance is super snappy, the way you want it to be. I'm always skeptical of judging how fast a computer system "feels" on first boot, before I've bogged it down with all my software and files. The technical benchmarks (which you can read elsewhere), particularly memory and input-output speeds, make me think that this snappiness will stay around, even once I've made this my own. Mobile Chrome, the slowest dog aspect of the original Nexus, is finally a pleasure to use here, just as it is on the desktop. Library apps like Kindle or Comixology respond instantly, without the heavy lag as felt on the old Nexus. Networking feels faster too, but that's probably because of the faster internal read-write workings. File copies over USB are terrible as always, you're generally better off using Dropbox plus Astro File Manager to move things around.

One of my favorite features of the Google Play store is their selection of video games. They have a lot of the same high-end, 3D-intensive titles as the Apple App Store, like Grand Theft Auto, Galaxy on Fire, and Riptide GP. All of these and more run perfectly on the Nexus 7 (B), as you'd expect, despite the absence of an Nvidia Tegra chip inside. Where the Google store shines is in the red-light district that Apple's App Store avoids: emulation. You can get an emulator for many different obsolete-but-classic home computers and video game consoles in the Google Play store. Playing Super Nintendo games with a glass touchscreen might not seem like fun, but you can add Bluetooth game controllers and keyboards to the Nexus to make it into many little computers in one. This feature is just as good on the Nexus 7 (B). DOSBox Turbo is showing that the CPU governor is in "ondemand" mode, which means better battery life for you but that I will need to wait for new software to enjoy TIE Fighter on the go. I am and edge case as far as that is concerned. Everything else seems to run very well, and the store software will likely be updated to optimize for this device.

I really like this tablet. Compared to some of the competition, it's limited (not as many apps as Apple), but its nice little size and price make up for it. Almost all of the "neutral" web services that work everywhere, like Feedly, Kindle, Dropbox, Pocket, Facebook, Tumblr, Flipboard, and so on work just as well in Android as they do in iOS. The physical aspect is very pleasant, both to the eye and in the hand. The screen is top-notch, the store is excellent, and the price is right. Recommended.

ARRAY(0xa0fcc978)