Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on HTL

Ni No Kuni - 9.4 score on

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 15, 2013 8:10:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 8:11:33 AM PST
Waldo says:

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is one of the best RPGs I've played in years. Moreover, it joins the elusive ranks of the best PlayStation 3 exclusives, a group very rarely encroached upon by any studio Sony doesn't own. Ni No Kuni is just that good: a beautiful mixture of the traditional makings of a JRPG combined with gorgeous graphics, a wonderful story, a great cast of characters and thoughtful gameplay. Better yet, I truly believe there's something here even for those that don't necessarily enjoy random encounters, level grinding and stat building. The story, characters, aesthetics and gameplay really do mix to make something special well outside of the JRPG niche.

It took me just north of 40 hours to beat Ni No Kuni, and there's still more for me to do. I didn't complete every last side quest and I didn't cruise through the entirety of the game's battle arena. Word out of Japan is that the game's coveted Platinum Trophy could take 80 hours to get, but know this: 40 hours with Ni No Kuni won't allow you to see nearly all the game has to offer.

I didn't want the game to end. It proved one of those special experiences - like I've had with Final Fantasy VI, Wild Arms or Tales of Destiny in the past - where I didn't want to see the conclusion. I wanted it to keep going. That's because Ni No Kuni is just that special, and every RPG fan owes it to him or herself to pick it up and see why.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 8:15:30 AM PST
Waldo says:

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 9:25:39 AM PST
kaosrogue says:
Bear in mind, it is also getting some not so great reviews. Game Informer gave it a 7. Which is a good score, but a lot of people think anything under a 9 is bad. I am totally looking forward to it becuase like Colin at IGN (the reviewer), i like the old school JRPGs, but it will not be for everyone. Hell, the only reason i am not purchasing it right now, is i just finished 100 hours beating Persona 4 golden, so i can hold off for awhile before playing another JRPG with pokemon elements.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 2:01:36 PM PST
GI is the only review that is lower. Quite a few other sites have given it a high score. Playstationlifestyle gave it a 10/10, RPGland 10/10, Gamemasters UK 95/100 and Playstation Magazine 87/100.
My guess is the guy at GI doesn't like JRPGs.
Being from Studio Ghibli I think we can count on this one to be quality even without the scores.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 3:29:31 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 15, 2013 3:30:16 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 3:32:15 PM PST
Waldo says:
GameInformer I've noticed give very low scores to most PS3 exclusive's where as other gaming sites actually give the actual high scores they deserve! Weird.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 3:41:37 PM PST
Well, at least IGN loved this game more than the recently released JRPG tites like Final Fantasy 13, 14 and 13-2 and Level 5's previous lackluster franchise White Knight Chronicles.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:09:53 AM PST
I heard White Knight Chronicles is pretty good even thought it didn't score well. Anyone on this forum played it?

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 9:50:13 AM PST
kaosrogue says:
@R Jackson
I loved White Knight Chronicles, i still need to buy the 2nd one, which i believe even comes with the first one. It seemed like a game that would either be loved or hated.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 10:23:23 AM PST
J. Arthur says:
Game Informer does have a track record of looking down at JRPGs. If I am not mistaken, they gave Tales of Graces f a 7.75 and in my opinion that was one of the best JRPGs in 2012.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 10:26:10 AM PST
Waldo says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 4:52:20 AM PST
I read the GI Review, it was low because the reviewer expected more than he got because of... past history with Level 5 or something. So his expectations were set way to high from the start, and he admitted that.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 9:55:31 AM PST
moogle11 says:
This game is going to be Epic !

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 10:44:02 AM PST
I love how paid reviewers have bias in their reviews of games, which means they aren't so much reviewing the game as they are something else. I loved Tales of Graces f. beat it twice to get my platinum and I might beat it again sometime soon because I enjoy it

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 10:46:43 AM PST
Waldo says:
Paid reviewers? You mean game reviewers that work at gaming sites that get paychecks like most people? If your talking about shady under the table bribe money, please get over that crazy notion that gamers like to fantasize about!

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 11:27:59 AM PST
I must be the only one in the world who isn't the biggest Studio Ghibli fan. Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle were the only movies i loved from them, the rest left little impact on me. I'm more interested in Level 5's participation in this project. They have been mostly reliable rpg developers, aside from the boring White Knight Chronicle games.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Jan 15, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about