5.0 out of 5 stars Great foundation book for individual and group development.
Published on August 18, 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much psychobabble
The Nibble Theory has some interesting illustrations. And it's central point - about the uniqueness and value of each individual - resonates with western cultural values. But the book is long on psychobabble and short on provocative insight. 80 pages could be better used by a clearer presentation of new ideas.
Published on January 22, 2012 by Kermit

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great foundation book for individual and group development., August 18, 1999
By A Customer
Kaleel uses easy language and pictures to convery the foundation tenets of personal development and boundaries. The kernel part is a great way of looking at how our values, talents, apptitudes and attitudes are the core of who we are. And how these intangibles combine to create our effectiveness at certain tasks/jobs- and also transcend our entire history of employment.
The nibble part converyed, for me, how we let the 'voices of others' keep us from achieving our TRUE potential AS WE DEFINITE IT! Not as ours want us to be. And to keep us as they want us to be they, either consciously or unconsciouly, NIBBLE us to stop us from growing.
I share this with my employees so that they understand why I value the fact that they learn quickly and take initiative more than the number of databases they can name/use. And that when I give feedback it is not a NIBBLE, it is "invitation" to grow!
And Kaleel does all this in 74 pages using a circle in various pictures to make reading easier. Buy this book for your employees by all means, but most importantly, BUY IT FOR YOUR CHILDREN!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Nibble Theory and the Kernel of Power: A Book about Leadership, Self-Empowerment, and Personal Growth, February 24, 2009
This review is from: The Nibble Theory and the Kernel of Power: A Book About Leadership, Self-Empowerment, and Personal Growth (Paperback)
It is an excellent book. The book focuses on personal growth, yours and of others in your social network. The author shows how each one of us can grow without nibbling the next person. The book contains several examples. The author discusses how when one candle lights other candles, there is not less light but more and that is the way it works with love and care. When everybody grows, there is not less of anybody; there is more of everybody. Further, in the world, there are big circles like leaders and thinkers and there are small circles like responders and followers who have less power. Each individual aspires to grow. The desire to grow is instinctive. Some folks just do not know how to get bigger. In their efforts to get bigger, they get bent and all out of shape. On the other hand, when one individual begins to experience growth, others around him/her might start nibbling. Nibblers are easy to recognize. They nibble the other person's growth with comments such as, "you work too hard", "you are too nice", "you are too concerned about others", and "you are too sensitive". Amazingly, some big circles (individuals) engage in self-limiting behaviors because they fear isolation but big circles should hold their heads up high and admit that at times big circles will be lonely. Self-effacement is never a good idea and no circle can ever be big enough. [...] It offers great resources to create "Nibble Free Zones" at work and at home. The book has seventy four pages and is full of many interesting drawings. One can finish the reading in less than an hour. Go for it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed the way I think..., January 10, 2000
I bought this book eight years ago for a leadership class at the University of Michigan and it changed the way I think and work. It's made me a much more successful leader in business and life.
The concepts it contains are hard for many people to understand, but the book explains it in the easiest language. It's all about how people need to deal with others: by working together instead of competing, we all win. If we all listened to the advice in this book, the world would be a much more productive, better place to live.
Buy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Keeper, May 16, 2009
This is a deceptively simple but supremely profound book. I first read it when it was first published. At that time, it had a deep effect on my personal relationships. I was struck by its simple truths - some of which I needed to be reminded about!

After I read it that first time, I put it on a bookshelf in my office, and I'd look at it occasionally and recall some of its message.

I am a consultant, and I'm working with a new client on some teambuilding. In analyzing the dynamics, I realized there is some nibbling going on, so I picked up Kaleel Jamison's book once again for inspiration.

I think I will order a copy of this book for everyone on the team and create some discussion and application of it in my client's weekly staff meetings. I know it will have a powerful effect on them, as it has had on me.

If you are a book lover as I am, you know there are piles of worthless books in print. But this is one is a keeper!

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful tool for self knowledge, January 6, 1999
I have used this book for years in a variety of contexts. The Nibble Theory gives readers a new way to think about how they deal with others, and starts the process of replacing Power Over with Power With. The process for finding your Kernel of Power is deceptively simple: it takes a lifetime to complete.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Nibble Theory if Right On!, April 28, 2000
I first came across this book an a student years ago and found it very insightful. That feeling has not changed and I strongly recomment this book for anyone that deals with people. You gain a firsthand look into what makes people run, and understand why some people behave the way they do! Tell everyone you know to read this book-it will make the world a nicer place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, October 15, 2005
A clear and simple way to view relationships. It definately helps me think about what I want and what others want in any interaction and to try to work that interaction for the positive benefit of all.

I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific short course in empowerment and personal growth, April 3, 1998
By A Customer
The Nibble Theory is not only a book about self image and how we relate to others, it ultimately offers a profound answer to the question, "Is there room for all of us to be the best we can be?" With simple graphics and personal text, this book will change your perspective forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars honest and simple, October 23, 2006
I keep coming back to the 'nibble theory' and am still searching for another as good (and short!). Recently I read the art of possiblity and ... it reminded me AGAIN of the kernel of power.

Kaleel, gets the message across with love and compassion and in a minimum number of pages plus there are lots of drawings :-)

My colleagues, friends and children love it ... I wish there were more books out there like it!!!

It's both inspiring AND fun.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much psychobabble, January 22, 2012