5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office: 101 Unconscious Mist
This book has been all that I hoped for and more. The book, in a nutshell, basically says that to get ahead in life, in career, in everything, women need to stop acting like little girls.
Replete with examples from Ms. Frankel's consulting clients, this book gives practical, no-holds-barred evaluations of such behaviours as feeding people at the office, working too...
Published on March 17, 2004 by Wendy G. Anderson

2.0 out of 5 stars Realism or surrender?
The general theme of this book is, to quote Lerner and Loewe in My Fair Lady, "Why Can't a Woman be More Like a Man?"

Frankel does point out some behavioral tics that women would do well to ditch, like the infamous framing of statements as questions. But she goes far beyond that to advocate what is essentially a complete overhaul of behavior, appearance,...
Published on July 14, 2006 by AEM

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Frankel tells it like it is., February 6, 2004
Barbara Hanson (Washington, D.C.) - See all my reviews
I hate to admit it but Dr. Frankel is right on with her observations of what it takes to succeed in the corporate world. This book is as close to having a personal coach as you can get. Even if you take only half of what she says you'll be twice at likely to be more competitive in the workplace.

4.0 out of 5 stars From a Father's Perspective, June 18, 2008
Wyatt Foard (Geneva, IL USA) - See all my reviews
As a father of two toddler daughters, I read Dr. Frankel's book to open my mind to ways I could avoid instilling in them unhelpful behaviors. I found a well thought out list of workable suggestions focussed mostly on a few central topics - better communication and ways to play "the game" without merely adopting behaviors typical to men. This book does not make judgments about how the business world operates mainly according to historically male behavior. Rather, it focuses on how to work within this world without changing who you are.

Some of the suggestions were definitely simplistic ("have a firm handshake") while others were more involved (defining your "personal brand" and promoting it to others). Mostly they were common sense business tactics and strategies for self marketing that one could find in countless business self-help books. Indeed, I found several helpful suggestions that I felt were applicable to myself. Overall, much of the advice could have been pulled from a bigger picture course for men and women on how to interact more effectively in the workplace.

In Dr. Frankel's book this information is obviously presented from a woman's perspective. She states in the first pages of the book that not all points will apply to any one person, that the way to use the book is to select those behaviors that are the biggest hindrances to the reader's advancement and then follow her advice to change those behaviors. She makes an attempt not to suggest women act like men, but rather "quit bein' a girl".

The tone can sometimes feel condescending which will be off-putting to some readers, but if one looks past this there is a range of good advice covering many topics. Dr. Frankel's frequent use of anecdotes from her consulting career serves to make the book readable without feeling like a textbook or list of action items.

I believe many women would find this book helpful in identifying and modifying behavior that is giving others the wrong impression of who they are or even masking their true capabilities. Men, too, can find new ways to understand women's behavior and hopefully achieve greater communication through that understanding. As a father I feel more aware of some things to focus on or avoid as I raise my daughters. This book will not feel useful to everyone, but for those who approach it with an open mind it can provide new insight into business relationships between the sexes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Career Primer, April 27, 2005
Vannie Ryanes "Vannie Ryanes/VSR Book Review" (South Orange, New Jersey United States) - See all my reviews
In NICE GIRLS DON'T GE THE CORNER OFFICE; 101 UNCONSCIOUS MISTKES WOMEN MAKE THAT SABOTAGE THEIR CAREERS, Dr. Frankel tackles and examines problems that are often unique to women in the workplace. Her approach is straight forward and she is dead on target everytime.

Buy this book and keep your yellow highlighter handy. It does not matter where you are in your career right now, this book can help you grow professionally and personally. Dr. Frankel lists 'Making Miracles' as Mistake 31. This is the super woman of your office. Everyone depends on her because they know she will make things right. But at what cost to her? Frankel points out that a woman in the office must learn how to manage people's expectations so that she does not become overburdened. Mistake 73 - smiling inappropriately. Girls are taught to smile. So what's a girl to do? Read NICE GIRLS DON'T GE THE CORNER OFFICE; 101 UNCONSCIOUS MISTKES WOMEN MAKE THAT SABOTAGE THEIR CAREERS and find out.

Whether you are an administrative assistant or a vice president, 'Nice Girls' offers nuggets of wisdom that you should know but don't. I read this book over a weekend and found it fascinating. I saw myself more times than I care to admit. I highly recommend this book.

Vannie(~.~)

Work & Family @ BellaOnline.com

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars A mistake not to read this one, February 26, 2006
An easy to read guide of the things that women can and often do in the workplace to make themselves seem inferior.

As I read this I thought of myself or other women that I know making many of these mistakes, it also made me think of my male colleuges and the way that they did not.

This isn't a guide to "Be The Man" but instead a guide to find ways to overcome some of the primarily female work traits that can cause us to become so bogged down in other people problems, that we can forget to focus on our own goals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Page is Worthwhile, February 5, 2013
Ladies- this is a good one. I love how the author includes in here a suggestion for appropriate work attire too as I'm sick of women sexualizing and romanticizing the work environment for their other female coworkers by coming to the office looking like they're going to a night club, a ball, or a hot summer day picnic and standing in the bathroom spritzing, primping, and admiring themselves in the mirror. This will help women realize that being eye candy is not the goal to aspire to in the workplace and that getting respect based on professionalism is what we need to be aiming for. I recommend all women who work in an office environment read this book. Every turn of one page to the next is worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile read, March 19, 2005
This book addresses the adult woman in the workplace. This is a read by an author who clearly has made her own way in the world of work and has helped many other women to do the same.

Practical, insightful, down to earth and real. This book is for grown up women who want to stop self-defeating behaviors and embrace the freedom of being the completely competent, powerful, fun person they are.

I'll never cry in the workplace again. I'll never again feel I'm asking for too much by simply being clear about what's needed to complete a project .

This is a book for the bedside table and for the top of your desk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fighting a mans military, February 24, 2012
I am a different kind of professional. I am 27 years old and an E-5 in the Navy. As an Aviation Structural Mechanic, I work on the H60 Seahawk helicopter. I have been working on the same model aircraft for 9 years, I am the most qualified E-5 in my work center and I know this bird inside and out. As the night shift supervisor, I recently got written up and fired from my position because a subordinate of mine complained about me to my superior who basically said I was acting like a 'b*tch'. Truth be told, The subordinate was being very disrespectful and didn't think he had to listen to a female. A male of the same pay-grade also had to speak with him (only he cursed and was a LOT less calm then I was.) the subordinate responded with "Yes Petty Officer." and then they proceeded to joke around together. This is very common in my world. If a pilot has a maintenance question about the aircraft he is about to fly, he will go to a male, who is my junior, before he comes to me. It is like they are naturally programmed to believe that the male will have the answer over a 'more qualified' female. This has become very frustrating.
This book has a short quiz in the first chapter, it pin points your weaknesses and it is right on! I have discovered that my main problem is that I do not speak up when I have an issue with how I am being treated (in fear of acting like a b*tch.)
Since reading this book I have become more outspoken when I believe I am being mistreated and I have even become more social within my command, now pilots know that I am the one to come to if they have a question and as a result of my new found candidness, I have been reinstated in my supervisor position.
Dr. Frankel made a statement in the book that really hit home for me:
"Who wouldn't want to be a girl? People like girls. Men want to protect you. Cuddly or sweet, tall or tan, girls don't ask for much. They are nice to be around and nice to have around. Sort of like pets. Being a girl is certainly easier then being a woman. Girls do not have to take responsibility for their destiny. Their choices are limited by a narrowly defined scope of expectations.'
Well said Dr. Frankel, those are words to live by!

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Is Long Overdue!, February 24, 2004
I loved "Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office!" I've been in the workplace for over 30 years, struggling with making myself be heard and taken seriously, especially by men. Dr. Frankel hits the nail on the head with so many of her suggestions! As a woman raised during the 50's, many of the messages I received about how to act in order to succeed, especially in corporations, need to be altered. I particularly related to the following points: "Worry Less About Being Liked", "Never Ask Permission" and "Apologize Sparingly". These speak directly to personal issues for me and by having Dr. Frankel's book on my desk to remind me, its helping me to change some of these very
deeply rooted behaviors. A Must Read for women, especially those who've been around for a few years!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing turnaround, September 30, 2004
I have already recomended this book to all my close friends. Within one day of using a few techniques learned from this book, I noticed a difference with my customers reactions. Male coworkers who are unaware of my efforts in becoming a better business leader, had noticed changes and complimented me TWO DAYS after I started! One coworker whom I had not seen in months saw me and said, "Wow, you have really grown up". I whole heartedly recomend this book for every woman, no water what occupation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Proper professional conduct, August 14, 2009
I am a successful woman lawyer who always worked under the principle that there is no gender in the workplace. And it worked for me until one day, my former boss fired me because he thought I was interested in his position. I told him straightforward I had no interest in his position, but he told me that I definitely had the "balls" for it, and fired me, after nine years of working together.

Great things come from bad, and shortly after I finally got pregnant. Stress at work had impeded me from getting pregnant. I got the opportunity to be with my daughter full time and enjoy her to the max.

Now that I am back in the work force, I realized that I had previously worked not in a non-gender way, but in a manly way. The Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office has been a great book, because it offered me insight in how a woman acts normally at work (which was unknown to me), and what not to do. I feel like I have skipped a step forward in my professional style: from being a woman acting like a man, I have become a woman acting like a woman with proper professional conduct. I feel very feminine now, and also very professional. An awesome combination!

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›