5.0 out of 5 stars What Kind of Girl Are You?
Am I an "ostrich" or an "abdicator?" That's the question I asked myself while reading Nice Girls Don't Get Rich! They are just two of the types of women with whom you may or may not identify who are in dire financial straits or, at the least, not reaching their financial potential for behaving like "nice girls."

Following each case scenario, coaching tips are...
Published on June 5, 2005 by Patricia A. Supino

I learned about 3 useful websites from this book, so reading it wasn't a total waste. But I kept feeling that it was written for women who are already a lot better off than I am, yet novices at managing their own money.

Published on November 13, 2005 by JerseyTomato

2.0 out of 5 stars If you're a woman with more money than you know what to do with, buy this book., November 13, 2005

How about this--"You might not be able to quit your job and still make your annual pilgrimage to Tuscany. The new BMW every two years might be out of the question initially." In a section about maintaining what you already own, she talks about having sprinkler systems repaired and having your treadmill serviced. She encourages us to join a gym, and go to a spa. Give me a break!

My husband and I haven't had a vacation in 10 years, and are driving 8- and 13-year old cars. Around here a gym is at least $360 a year, an impossibility for us and not necessary anyway when you can walk, and buy dumbbells and used exercise videos for a few dollars. Spend money at a spa when I can take a bubble bath? A sprinkler system to keep the crabgrass green? Good grief.

She talks about controlling your expenses by cutting down on emotional and impulsive spending, which for my husband and I is a paltry sum. But she doesn't say much at all about dealing with health care and insurance costs, which is a big worry for lots of people.

In other words, she just doesn't get my life and the lives of many Americans. Judging from what I *know* to be bad advice for someone like me, it makes me take the rest of the book with a grain of salt as well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Who's the Target Audience?, March 15, 2006
A. Titel (Overland Park, Kansas United States) - See all my reviews
I didn't find this book especially helpful. It seems the author could not decide who her target audience is: is it middle aged women who make $100K a year or 23 year old women making $25K? I also didn't think the financial advice was nearly as interesting or helpful as books written by finance professionals; the author is a therapist by training. It also seems that much of the advice is for women who are entirely passive, and I'm not sure most women fall into this category (I certainly do not.) Save your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars What Kind of Girl Are You?, June 5, 2005

Following each case scenario, coaching tips are offered to prevent or stop us from falling into female behavior traps that can be financially crippling. Each tip is in bulletpoint format making the information easily accessible for reference.

Dr. Frankel employs an easygoing, winning writing style to deliver hard-hitting strategies designed to knock women out of their financial complacency and dependency. The advice ranges from simply balancing a checkbook or weekly budgeting to setting up a private foundation.

If you've read Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office, this new book provides the tools necessary to build your wealth after you've attained that desired position. I highly recommend adding it to your "nice girls" collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Girls Don't Get Rich: 75 Avoidable Mistakes Women Make, May 24, 2005
M. E. Hill (Cleveland, OH) - See all my reviews
Regardless of your age or economic situation this book has something of value for everyone. Dr. Frankel is practical, to the point, and her suggestions for financial freedom are easy to implement. This is the perfect gift to send your newly graduating daughters out into the world as well as your women friends that may need some help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich Reading and Easy Steps, August 17, 2005
As a business coach myself, I found the advice Dr. Frankel gives to be very coherent and easy to follow. She nudges you to debunk your own dearly-held myths about money and relationships, and encourages you to step up and take responsibility for yourself and your own success. She helps distinguish your fear of being selfish from your ability to be a self-reliant adult. She helps you distinguish between being so "nice" you are a doormat and being a kind, charitable, generous person who takes excellent care of yourself. There are excellent checklists and resources to get you started on your journey of financial health and self-reliance. I highly recommend this book to any adult woman. Young women just entering the work force would benefit the most by starting out on the right foot. You can do this!

4.0 out of 5 stars Everyone can get richer!, May 20, 2005
The title really could be amended to, "Seventy-five mistakes that can benefit just about anyone."

Nearly everyone has made at least one of these mistakes (okay, maybe Donald Trump never did). But I think Frankel offers more than a collection of mistakes and "if onlys." She's got some good ideas you won't find everywhere.

My favorites:

Brainstorm with big picture thinkers -- and then get advice from the nitpickers.

Get out of your safety zone (no guts, no glory).

Listen to your intuition.

Just these three could save you the price of the book -- and there are many, many more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read, June 1, 2005
Mac (Manhattan Beach, CA) - See all my reviews
"Nice Girls Don't Get Rich" is a must read for men and women alike. As with Lois Frankel's previous best seller, "Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office," this book is a very serious expose that will especially empower women in their day to day lives. The text is bursting with practical advice on what every woman should know when thinking about money. I am counting on using her guidance to take more charge of my financial life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Develop a financial goal!, September 1, 2010
Dr. Frankel in my opinion is a flat out life saver when it comes to us women and making it in work and life. This book deals with finances and she simply says it like it is. The section on charging for your services really hit home for me. As an attorney and a singer I have done so much work for free that it is flat out pathetic. I've simply been too afraid to broach the subject of money-but not anymore! She explains the psychology behind us girls being so timid and worried about relationships to the point where it is only to our detriment. She also emphasizes developing and writing down your financial goal, which was a first for me. But I've written it down and taped it onto my debit card as per her advice. And oddly enough, immediately upon my doing so, I felt my overwhelming desire to spend and spend just vanish over night. I'm glad I found her books when I have, I think I would definitely have benefitted from her books starting in high school, but I'm glad I've discovered them now and I look forward to a financially independent future and a successful career as well. Quite frankly, I think both of her books, this one and "Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office" should be required reading for all women beginning in early high school. Dr. Frankel's books are what we need to help us transition from nice girls into smart women. And I'm so glad for her contribution to womankind.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read even for those who think they don't need it, July 13, 2005
Read this book! It is clearly written and easy to read. I am not a spender, not in debt and save a reasonable amount of my income. But I still learned a lot about how and why I spend the money I do. Also, how much more I could be doing to create more wealth for my family. And most of all, how important it is for everyone to be aware of and involved in her family's finances. Money management does not have to be complicated, it's not mysterious nor masculine. And the bottome line is that it's too important to ignore or to trust to someone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Nonsense, May 15, 2005
I heard Dr. Frankel speak at a company event so I bought this book. I wasn't sorry. She writes just like she talks. To the point, no nonsense, and really tells it like it is. She makes you look at your behavior in ways other books don't. The other books on financial planning that I read made me feel so stupid that I gave up before I even started. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to start planning to be rich by the time she's 50.

Nice Girls Don't Get Rich : 75 Avoidable Mistakes Women Make with Money