Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Nick Of Time
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on March 8, 2001
Bonnie Raitt just gets better with age. An old adage that could've been written for her. Her physical beauty, her love for her craft, her passion just get stronger, truer, more penetratingly *honest*.
She is one of the best blues guitarists I've ever listened to; her playing is pure emotion - not just technical skill.
Her talent makes her unique in a world of copies. She sings the powerful, sexy, yet purely feminine song of any woman, all women. Her music speaks of things we all know: love, pain, failure, regret, loss, but also growth, self-discovery, getting older, getting wiser. Renewal.
This is one of her best CD's to-date, though perhaps not *the* best. I believe Bonnie still has more songs to write... in her life as well as her studio.
A gifted musician.
on March 18, 2001
Unless you were born after 1989 or else have dropped in from another planet since then, you have probably heard the song "Love Letter" from this album. It's only the most gritty, earthy, and outstanding torch song in rock. It was also the lead single from this album, and the rest of the album is no letdown. The songs here run the gamut from experienced toughness to aching vulnerability, hitting a lot of bases in between. Raitt's expressive singing and first-rate guitar playing take these quality songs and drive them home very effectively.
"Nick Of Time" dominated the Grammy awards and the charts in 1989, and rightfully so. It is one terrific album and earned Bonnie Raitt recognition that was long overdue. She labored long in relative obscurity before hitting it big with this one. Built on solid rock tinged with blues and country overtones, the songs here all feature mature lyrics delivered with real feeling. Listen to the title song. Nobody over thirty can fail to identify with those words. "Love Letter" is my personal favorite song, but I also especially like "Thing Called Love", "Cry On My Shoulder", "Nobody's Girl", "Have A Heart" and "I Will Not Be Denied".
This is a truly outstanding album. Give it a listen and I think you'll agree. Very highly recommended.
Bonnie's recording career with Warner career had ended with some critics thinking that she was finished as a recording artist. They - and Warner - were proved wrong with this, her Capitol debut album, which was more successful than any of her Warner albums. The basic blues-rock style is still there, but this album is a little smoother, so appealing to a wider public. Winning a Grammy award for this album further boosted Bonnie's career.

The album is mainly filled with moody ballads, perhaps reflecting Bonnie's personal life when the album was recorded although Bonnie only wrote two songs - the first track (Nick of time) and the last track (The road's my middle name). The tempo picks up slightly for Thing called love (a John Hiatt song, not to be confused with the completely different Johnny Cash song with a similar title), Real man and The road's my middle name.

Apart from singing, Bonnie plays an instrument on most tracks - one of piano, guitar or slide guitar. Bonnie is supported by a variety of musicians, usually between three and five per track. Two tracks feature just one instrument each, giving them a folksy feel. On Nobody's girl, Bonnie sings while Chuck Domanico plays acoustic bass. On I ain't gonna let you break my heart again, Bonnie sings while Herbie Hancock plays piano.

This is an excellent album, well deserving of all the accolades - but then, a lot of Bonnie's earlier music deserved such accolades and didn't get them.
on April 9, 2014
Love Bonnie Raitt. She's awesome. Gravelly voiced, extremely talented slide guitarist, soulful to the extreme, and devoted to her craft.

This is my favorite record she's ever done. And I love them all. But it's my favorite.

"Nick of Time" is the best groove song I think she's ever done.
- "those lines are pretty hard to take when they're / starin back at you..."
"Thing Called Love" - badass blues song. The video is awesome too but if you can't get into this song - in my opinion - you have no musical ear.
"Love Letter" - kooky song that I love. Just a true - out there - bonnie song.
"Cry On My Shoulder" - is a knock it out of the park blues/sad/sweet/desperate song of love.
"Real Man" - typical bonnie raitt takin' on the boys song. love it
"Nobody's Girl" - this song is one that just ripped my heart out. all about a girl who doesn't want to be owned and the unfortunate soul who loves her...
"Have a Heart" - beautiful song - beautiful video - and I think it has my favorite slide riff...awesome...

The rest are awesome too - but these are just rip you up and tear your heart to shreds songs - or take your ear and spin it around until you understand what music is meant to be - or liberate your soul and make you dance rhythms that shake your body even if you don't want to let it. I think it's the perfect album - but that's just me :)
on January 28, 2005
This isn't a compilation of Greatest Hits, but it could be. Even if all the tracks on this wonderful release were not commercial hits, Bonnie Raitt proves with this one that she can play with the big boys and come out unscathed.

Nothing tops "Have A Heart", a fantastic performance of a great song, which always makes me sigh, no matter how many times I've heard it. There is a longing, a need for love in Raitt's vocals that just grabs you by the throat and makes you listen.

Other stand-outs are the appropriately named title track, "Nick of Time", the more bluesy-raunchy "Real Man" and the melancholic "Nobody's Girl". But there's really not a bad song on this CD.
on May 12, 1998
This cd looking back, was just a primer for what bonnie raitt was all about and the songs on this cd capitalized and hit
an emotional button so many Americans were missing in music.
Bonnie captures her love for so many styles of music, particually R & B styles and rock/blues and country/blues she
has done for so many years without much recognition. Bonnies emotions really pour out of this great record, no wonder she took off after this set! Although many talk about the song "NICK OF TIME" as being somewhat soft, supermarket tribe,
just listen to the words to this masterpiece of songwriting
and the flow makes more sense, reminds me of an Anita Baker
at times. All people needed to do was connect on a cut and
they sure did with "thing called love". The video was all over
the country with VH1 pushing it on heavy rotation. I overheard
college guys talking about NICK of TIME in a music store as
they looked the cd over. They were all excited about her slide
guitar playing so I knew it was breaking through to the public.
At the same time "have a heart" was a minor radio hit, not
quite making a top 40 hit but close. This song tapped into
some heavy feelings as well that many had lived through or
going through. The roadhouse blues of Real Man, the classic
R & B styles of "i will not be denied", the jazzy, "I won't
let you break my heart again" gave so much about who Bonnie
was but to dig deeper and listen to "Love Letter" and the blues
closer "The road is my middle name" and you got a collection
of haunting blues/rock with some funk and R & B thrown into
a smash stew that finally got Bonnie Raitt a new fan base
and some long time fans finally smiling. This collection
deserved everything is achieved and was just a primer for
another outstanding cd to follow, her biggest smash "LUCK OF THE DRAW", which dug deeper and had more fun and more classic
songs to take out onto the road, Bonnies homebase.
on July 9, 1999
Nick Of Time by Bonnie Raitt is probibly one of the essential blues-rock cd's of all time. Songs such as Thing Called Love and Love Letter draw a perfect line between blues and rock. meanwhile songs such as Have A Heart and Nick Of Time are perfect along side hits by Michael Bolton and Gloria Estefan on easy listening radio. and theres even some folkish/country style songs on there too. In short a great Cd. One that deserved it's Grammy for album of the year (it won in 1990 for the music of 1989)
on February 19, 2008
Excellent job on the production of this DVD-Audio - 3 videos, complete lyrics on-screen, fantastic sound from both the enhanced stereo and multi-channel mixes. If you loved this album when it hit shelves back in 1989, you can't go wrong with this enhanced version. Just make sure your home theater is 5.1 & DVD-Audio compatible to get the maximum effect!
on June 26, 2014
This is the voice I come to when I want to feel empowered as a woman. Nick of Time is a mainstay in my library of nurturing tunes. Honestly, who wouldn't love these words, those tunes and that voice? Gotta love our Bonnie lass.
on February 14, 2013
I originally bought this on cassette back in the day and it was really my first exposure to Bonnie Raitt. Now that I'm much more acquainted with her entire career, I'm more a fan of her gritty, dirty blues rather than the pop phase. I still love this album though. It's a nostalgia thing.