5.0 out of 5 stars A Creative Juxtaposition
Published 13 months ago by Gail Duncan

Published 3 days ago by Vicki Wyles

5.0 out of 5 stars A Creative Juxtaposition, July 30, 2013
This review is from: Nick and Viola: A Kentucky Family Tragedy in the Tobacco Wars (1904-1911) (Paperback)
It has been said that good literature evokes a response, be it positive or negative. Nick and Viola demand a response; the reader is drawn into their lives, experiencing the struggles, the passion, and the "grit" typical of this unique couple. Aside from their story, the book provides an informative insight into the tobacco wars of that era. This creative juxtaposition provides a provocative reading experience. Be prepared to be faced with many emotions as you see the real world through the eyes of Nick and Viola. I highly recommend the book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Overall I found the book to be informative regarding tobacco ..., September 11, 2014
Overall I found the book to be informative regarding tobacco farming during this period. However I thought that Mrs. Derr borders on outright slander in some facts regarding the case. By innuendo, she suggests that Herbert (Hub) Wyles and Boss Garrison were somehow hiding in the bushes and for lack of some undiscovered evidence, were surely involved in this tragedy or up to no-good. She questions why the Judy family did not support Nick in his bail money. Could it possibly be that they could not afford to? She seems to question why the Judy family did not adopt some of Nick’s children.
In fairness to Mrs. Derr, Hub Wyles was my uncle. The Wyles family and the Judy family have lived in Harrison County, KY for more than one hundred and fifty years. Yes, Uncle Hub was involved with the night riders; the evidence clearly supports that as well as does family history. Did Uncle Hub have anything to do with the death of Mr. Coy or any other misdeed? The evidence, as reported in the newspaper, says no and again family history supports that. If the facts, and the facts only, are laid out this simply becomes a tragedy between Nick Muntz and Elva Coy. In my opinion, Mrs. Derr goes out of her way in an attempt to widen the tragedy to others and should have stayed with the facts. Harrison County is a close nit community with the Wyles and Judy families still living in it. Mrs. Derr owes them an apology.
John H. and Vicki Wyles

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, overall, July 7, 2014
More detail than I needed about family members, though found
some of it interesting. My grandparents were tobacco farmers in
eastern Tennessee a few years later than the "Nick and Viola"
story and have wondered what effect, if any. the tobacco wars
had on them. I never knew to ask my questions when they could
have been answered. A good read, overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nick and Viola: A Kentucky Family Tragedy in the Tobacco Wars, December 1, 2013
I learned so much about "tobacco wars", a portion of history that was sadly missing from my education. The book gave me a new appreciation for those few who were brave enough to stand up against James Duke and also for the even fewer who stood against Clarence LeBus in an effort to provide for their families. What a frightening time for Laura Derr's ancestors!

5.0 out of 5 stars The book was a history of R. Max Judy's family as the Viola of the book was a sister to his great grandfather., October 24, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Nick and Viola, A Kentucky family tragedy in the Tobacco Wars(1904-1911), September 4, 2013
Lawrence Grey (Eastern Tennessee) - See all my reviews
Author Laura Derr has created an important history of an interesting period of Kentucky and other states which grew tobacco around the beginning of the 20th century. This book will be used by researchers in the future.

In the last chance before the details are forgotton, and some verbal histories are still available, Derr has carefully researched and saved a stark story of suffering by growers, and abuse by buyers, during the beginnings of Big Tobacco. The reader is led through the well-written and well-developed scenario as it unfolds, but won't be prepared for the critical events that occured to the central couple of the story and the terrible after effects of that tragedy.

In addition to those involved in growing tobacco, now or formally, this book should be read by all the beneficiaries of the James Duke tobacco fortune who most likely don't have any idea of the terrible cruelty and human costs inflicted on growers which were caused by their founder as he acquired his fortune.

Grey Perry
aka Lawrence Grey
Author of Letters from Grampy, How to Make the Most of Your Teen Years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nick and Viola, September 1, 2013
I enjoyed reading this book since the setting was my home county, I worked for an agency that was mentioned in the book and I knew several of the people mentioned here. I think Mrs.Derr did a great job in writing this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Peek into a Corner of History, August 7, 2013
I found this to be an interesting and loving read. I'm not a member of this family and wasn't raised around tobacco (except in cigarettes), but it's this kind of small history built on regular people's lives that really provides a feel for the past. This particular book also speaks to the fragility of life as we live it daily and to the reverberations of actions and accident through generations. If we all dug around and wrote these kinds of histories, we'd have a more complete picture of the human condition we share.

5.0 out of 5 stars Family, July 15, 2013
Lou A. Boyers (Sadieville, KY United States) - See all my reviews
This is a wonderful account of my husband's maternal ancestors. The details about the tobacco wars helped me to understand some of my own family history. I appreciate the pictures....very touching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book., June 26, 2013
Loved the book. Although I knew my family's story, I still found myself on the edge of my seat wondering what would happen next. The book is filled with lots of local history and a vivid description of the tobacco process.

Nick and Viola: A Kentucky Family Tragedy in the Tobacco Wars (1904-1911)
$12.99 $10.99