Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 22, 2008
I want to preface this with the fact that I love Nicky Epstein's designs. I get withdrawal waiting for new books. But...

Her instructions SUCK! The best example I have of this is the "Fiesta Flower Handbag". I had many many issues with this (while I was trying to make it for my mother for mother's day no less).

First of all, the required yarn amounts are WAY off. You need 5 skeins of the MC, at least three of the green and two of each of the pink and grape. I had to stop twice to wait on ordered (my LYS is over 92 miles away) yarn (still waiting on some now actually). And for the first time in my life I actually used the recommended yarn for something!!!

Secondly, there is not PRE-felting guage or main panel measurements! How can I figure out if I have even remotely the right size if I have to finish and felt the dang thing before I can measure it. I'm just hoping its close.

Thirdly, the florettes on the handle fold just do not look like the picture, no matter how I read it or try to figure it out (and I am a Master Crocheter) it doesn't look like the picture.

Fourthly, the pictures!!! The instructions tell you to use the picture as a guide, but it only has ONE! There is no picture of the side pockets, even though the instructions say to use it as a guide!!!
Fifthly, the instructions tell you to edge each piece with pink, while clearly in the (one) picture, one panel is edged in the grape!

Sixthly, there is no instruction for closing the bottom of the side pocket! Now granted, you most likely could figure it out, but she goes into great detail as to the edging (for example every corner turn is slowly spelled out to go along the edge and single crochet 3 times in every corner...four times! I think we got it the first time Nicki!!) Besides the fact is that if you got that far, I'm sure you have done that before and its almost automatic! Most crocheters have made simple dishcloths where this is (in my experience) the way EVERY SINGLE one is done!

Lastly, the fact that except for the slightly goofy ear-flap hat and this handbag, the rest of the apparel patterns are really freaky looking, from the wedding dress with huge floppy beaded yarn blobs or the giant messy neck piece or the completely bizarre opera gloves (who really would wear these anywhere but a costume party) are just WEIRD. And don't tell me they could easily be worn by Paris Hilton or some other Hollywood skank, they wouldn't TOUCH them unless they wanted to make the worst dressed list(might finally bump Bjork and her swan dress off the list!)

I won't even bore you with the myriad of typos and just plain confusedness of the flower patterns. And I really can say that about ALL of her books and patterns.

Please Nicky, fire your testers and editors, call me! I am completely zealous when it comes to succinct and accessible instructions, and I bet you a buck that I would be cheaper than the ones you used for this book.

I absolutely love having this book for inspiration. Nicky gets an A+ for inspiration and a C- for execution. So only spend your money if you have the time and patience to sit and play with the patterns. And always double the yarn requirements

If you aren't extremely comfortable with crochet, remember that you might hit some speedbumps and need a little help.
66 comments|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 6, 2007
Nicky is one of my favorite designers, and she certainly doesn't disappoint with this gorgeous book. I wish, though that publishers would learn that because so many of us now buy our books on line, they need to give us covers that really tell us what the book is about. Because this treasure is far more than just about crocheting flowers.

It's full of flowers, yes: elegant flowers, flower bouquets, simple dainty flowers, felted flowers. A variety
of specialty yarns and beads spice up the projects, and both symbols and written instructions are used. But what you can't tell from the cover is that it includes instructions for wonderful projects using the flowers: an adorable ear-flap hat, a fiesta-flowered felted handbag, a floral belted delicate shawl that any woman of any age or size or shape would look gorgeous in. There's an elegant floral neckpiece in deep rich tones to dress up a little black dress that's showing its age; included are wedding decor and accessories, and much, much more.

As always, sixthandspring books gives as a spectacular visual presentation, but come on guys -- give us on-line buyers a break and let us know what's really inside.
11 comment|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 7, 2008
I flip through this book frequently with great hopes, which are immediately dashed the instant I attempt to make one of the projects. I agree with the other reviewers that the pictures are very visually pleasing. However, the patterns are very poorly worded. I have spent hours tearing my hair out, trying to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing. Their little graphic representations do nothing but increase my confusion. Furthermore, I've even found some pretty important typographical errors. For example, in one pattern, at the end of one of the rounds, it commands that you repeat from *. Problem is, there is no * to be found, and because of the nature of the flower, it was really not possible to figure out what they were calling for. It's such a shame, too, becuase I would love to make as many of these flowers as possible. Pretty, intricate flowers need not be complex at all, yet this book has managed to make them near impossible. Guess you can chalk it up to poor writing and editing. I'm glad I got this at the library and did not buy it. I have had to throw up my hands on most of the patterns, or produce something that looked neither like the illustration in the book, nor like a flower for that matter :(
on November 7, 2007
I bought Nicky's "Knitted Embellishments" and "Knitting on the Edge" some months ago and was blown away by the creativity and variety of what you can do with knitting. Being a crocheter rather than a knitter, I jumped at the chance to get the Crocheted Flowers book she had written, supposing it would be as creative and varied as her knitting books. Unfortunately I was very disappointed.

The book is very pleasing to the eye and is beautifully presented, excellent up close photographs and well set out. I like the different colours for pages throughout also, and it just looks well spaced, attractive and not cluttered at all. The book gives an impression of class and quality and really feels good to have it in your hands. As I said, very pleasing to the eye. However, as I turned page after page, the flowers kept looking familiar, slightly chunky (which might just be the effect of such magnification - which is what you want for detail) and by the time I got to the end of the book, I had only seen a few 'different' flower groups that inspired me. There was little 'new' which was what I was looking for. Some of the projects are only for young trendy people, not the more 'mature' crocheter past the bloom of youth! I'm not complaining about that mind you, just making an observation. We need to encourage young people to take up the craft and that is the kind of thing they like and want. Unfortunately for me, the book fell far short of the calibre of Nicky's other two books I mentioned earlier.

If you don't have any other patterns on crocheted flowers, or if you are a beginner to crochet, then this book would undoubtedly be of great value to you. For someone who wants something above the 'ordinary' in crocheted flowers, I don't suggest you buy it and save your money for something with more inspiration - unless you want an attractive book on the coffee table to attract visitors. It would certainly meet that need indeed.
on July 23, 2008
Caveat: if you are new to flower making and crochet's world of endless possibilities, this may
open something for you. If you are experienced, a collector, and have already made flowers... skip this. Get her Knitted Flowers instead and try to do them in crochet. I'm sorry I didn't heed the warnings.... it is IRKSOME that there is more variety and invention in her knitted flowers than in her crochet book. There are few projects, only two are slightly compelling, and most flowers are iterations of others. The images are, globby, not exciting. I made one flower in the type of fiber and hook suggested and it was HUGE... an outsized bell that hangs on my porch as an adornment...nothing that one could wear. Most of these do tend toward the large (G,H) vs thread, which is okay with me.... it just lacks a certain grace, delicacy, inventiveness and variety that Ms Epstein bestows on her knitted creations.
on August 4, 2008
I trusted the positive reviews on this book. I shouldn't have. Nicky Epstein has crappy instructions, so that even an expert crocheter like me was frustrated.
Don't buy this book!
on September 8, 2008
I purchased this book so that I could add flowers to some of my hats and other garments, but found the patterns difficult to follow. Not recommended for beginners.
on April 22, 2010
I own pretty much every book Nicky Epstein has written...I love her designs, her directions are putrid....BUT THIS BOOK CAME OUT IN HARD COVER some years ago...just know if you order it that it is a reprint in paperback..and AMAZON SHOULD POST THAT PROMINENTLY...
The first thing you should know about this book is it's a reprint of this book Nicky Epstein's Crocheted Flowers - this is not a new or updated book on the same theme.
The second thing is just my opinion - I don't think the book is that great. The flowers are not that great, you can google "crocheted flowers" and come up with great patterns that make cooler looking flowers. I wasn't impressed with the directions - they are not very clear and are difficult to understand. I know that M's Epstein is known primarily for her work in the knitting universe, so maybe she didn't have the interest or skill to proof the patterns before publishing the book.
There are a few nice patterns but I'd recommend other books such as Crochet Bouquet: Easy Designs for Dozens of Flowers
or Crochet Adorned: Reinvent Your Wardrobe with Crocheted Accents, Embellishments, and Trims and Beyond-the-Square Crochet Motifs: 144 circles, hexagons, triangles, squares, and other unexpected shapes for clearer instructions and more interesting motifs. If you like M's Epstein's work, definitely get the book. If you're looking for patterns for embellishments, I recommend the 3 books I named. (and no, I don't get a kickback from anybody for my suggestions).
on February 6, 2008
For me, it doesnt have enough variety of proyects, and You can find all this patterns over the internet. So what she just did is to put them on a book with her own pictures.

I would have saved my money if I knew that.

Some of this "flowers" does not even look like flowers!