5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and very practical
This is pretty much the ultimate do-it-yorself knitters book. The whole idea is to give ideas that will spice up a ho-hum project and turn it into something amazing. I am a fairly new knitter and am progressing well but some projects are beyond my present skills and it is encouraging to have a book with easy, attractive details.
I agree that the I-cord section alone...
Published on August 12, 2001 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Nicky Epstein's Knitted Embellishments: 350 Appliques, Borders, Cords, and more
I bought this book and am unable to do the basic flower on page 18. The numbers work out for each row but when knitted it doesn't. I even had an expert knitter at my LYS try it and she had the same problem. I contacted the author and she E-Mailed me once and said she needed the name of the book even though it was in the subject line. She never responded again. What am...
Published on January 9, 2010 by Virginia M. Rooney

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and very practical, August 12, 2001
Amazon Customer (Sunny and not-so-sunny California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nicky Epstein's Knitted Embellishments (Paperback)
I agree that the I-cord section alone warrants the purchase of this book but I am also partial to the embroidery section. These two chapters are interesting in that you can use them to beautify existing knitted pieces and possible be able to cover damage that would otherwise ruin a garment.
There were some complaints that the book includes knit 1 purl 1 ribbing. I see nothing wrong with this as some newer knitters may not know this and since you have to start somewhere.
This book is invaluable especially if you are starting to design your own knits. I am knitting a purse using techniques described in this book and I am already getting complements on it! New knitters: this book provides a fast, easy way for you to create advanced looking knits. Advanced knitters: it's a good deal of fun in the bargain. You simply can't go wrong!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price, April 11, 2007
This review is from: Nicky Epstein's Knitted Embellishments (Paperback)
I have Ms Epstein's other books,Knitting Over The Edge: Unique Ribs, Cords, Appliques, Colors, Nouveau: The Second Essential Collection of Decorative Borders which I enjoyed and Knitting Beyond the Edge: Cuffs and Collars*Necklines*Hems*Closures - The Essential Collection of Decorative Finishes about which I was somewhat less enthused. I decided to get this book, because I was looking for ideas for embelishments, and there it was: "Embellishments," just what I was looking for, so I got it.

I think some of the appliqués are quite imaginative, particularly some of the leaves and pieced flower designs as well as many of the knitted cord appliqué designs, like the Celtic knots and most of the closures in the last few pages of the book. (I do love "frogs.") I will certainly try the technique myself.

The appliqué cord technique was also used effectively for faux cables, and although I enjoy tackling a complex cable from time to time as an exercise, I could see the appliqué system for cables as a very effective way of getting a project completed. It would also allow one to experiment with a design to decide what type of cable looks best on a completed sweater, and just where on the sweater it will most enhance the wearer--and all this without having to rip apart the sweater and do it over again!

The integration of beading into some of the edgings was also interesting and not something I would have thought of myself, because I'm not (yet) a beader. I could imagine the technique making something very special from something quite simple. However some of the designs for heavily beaded tassels seem just way too over the top.

I also like the way cross stitch and embroidery in flosses or yarns could be added to a finished sweater to give the piece the look of fairisle, intarsia, entrelac, and tapestry without the bulk and carryovers that occur with the first two.

I am not, however, a great fan of "bobbles" or raised edgings. I enjoy the technique of the former for its cleverness, and have added bobbles to things like purses, but they tend to make knitted and crocheted products look bulky and awkward in places that should probably not be emphasized on some individuals. (My figure, for instance, is bulky and awkward enough thank you.) Maybe on a very slim person, but definitely not a decorative technique I'd use for the more "mature" shape.

The designs are well illustrated and enlarged enough for the reader to see the techniques displayed. The author uses the method of charted instructions, which I usually find somewhat difficult to follow but which I can see as very useful for visualizing the finished product and its construction.

Most of my objections, though valid from my own perspective, might not be true of others. Maybe one likes heavily beaded tassles, maybe someone else enjoys bobbles. As one of the other reviewers notes; there's something for everyone in this book.

All in all a book well worth the price to add to ones craft library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicky Epstein kicks knitting up a couple of notches!, February 14, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Nicky Epstein's Knitted Embellishments (Paperback)
My initial impression of Nicky Epstein was a good knitting designer who mired herself in lace, and bows and teddy bears--kind of technical genius in a world of knitting that is not my own.
Well, was I wrong! This book has inspired me more than any current knitting publication--and has me designing and knitting my own work with confidence in her tips and ideas (the I-cord is an epiphany!! from flowers to Irish knots, to buttons!) developing truly original things that have my friends and relatives looking twice! I have been almost evangelical amongst my friends and the poor lady at the knitting shop about this book--carrying it with me, and giving it as gifts. Granted, it is for a fairly advanced level of skill and ability to design--but an inspiration for every level of knitter and a great gift for any Knit Wit in your life.
Her explanations, illustrations and photographs describe her trims and treatments in a straightforward, easy to follow manner. The book is chock full of ideas that one can find in older knitting publications (such as Barbara Walker's books)-- but compiled in the manner and spirit that she has makes them special and new to today's knitters.
Buy this book and knit yourself a flower, some leaves, a celtic cross. You better have plenty of scrap yarn on hand to try these marvellous ideas out--or Nicky Epstein will have you running to your closest yarn store to start a project to try these ideas out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful ideas to create one-of-a-kind clothing, October 24, 1999
This review is from: Nicky Epstein's Knitted Embellishments (Paperback)
I have this book in hardcover (it IS available, Amazon.com should look into that), and I love it. Unlike the other reviewer, I greatly appreciated the many different leaf styles and detailed flower instructions. The book offers hundreds of ideas that can be combined into easy and highly original crafted clothing. The author gives easy-to-follow instructions. I give this book a solid 5 stars -- I just wish there would be more such books out there! S_EFW@compuserve.com

4.0 out of 5 stars an embellishment to any knitter's library, February 24, 2005
Deepa Nirmal (St. Paul, MN, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nicky Epstein's Knitted Embellishments (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book to buy, not to borrow. Whatever your level of knitting skill, you will find ideas and inspiration here, and LOTS of fun, striking, timeless embellishments (nothing overtly trendy here). I particularly liked the section on flowers, because most knitters will find that only crochet patterns for flowers are commonly available. With this book, you can take that plain old sweater or hat and make it a garden in spring, with nary a crochet hook.

With a little imagination you can use these embellishments on every kind of garment and accessory. My only quibble is that I would have liked to see more examples of the embellishments used in finished items. There is a gallery section but it didn't seem adequate.

All told, a good resource for every knitter. It's expensive but just think- you'll use it for your kids AND grandkids! This intermediate knitter is definitely buying, not borrowing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for Knitters, January 24, 2005
Veronica Bennett (Wilmington, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nicky Epstein's Knitted Embellishments (Paperback)
This compendium of embellishments is a must have for every knitter. There is a wealth of information contained therein about leaves, flowers, I cords, fasteners, closures, and the list goes on. I have been making leaves and flowers with scrap yarn. I am going to felt some of them and see how they look. I have an old jeans jacket that is dying for some embellishment. Using any of the combinations in this book is guaranteed to fire up a knitting heart that has waned. Have an old beret that needs a lift? Simply knit up a few flowers and apply them to the beret... and save the $95 for the adorned beret you would find at the upscale boutiques and department stores. Enjoy

4.0 out of 5 stars Look over first..., February 12, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Nicky Epstein's Knitted Embellishments (Paperback)
For some reason, whenever I saw this in a bookstore, it wasshrink-wrapped. Luckily I was able to check it out from thelibrary. Some of the designs were interesting, but quite a few of the designs did not photograph well, particularly the ones done in chenille yarns. It would be nice to see stitch details. The instructions are both in chart and written form for the most part, which is nice. She did have some really nice examples of what to do with the embellishments, but no patterns. As another reviewer said, where's a list?
This book is overpriced by about a third, so buy used.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Little Something for Everyone, February 9, 2007
Stacey M Smith (Fredericksburg, TEXAS) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Nicky Epstein's Knitted Embellishments (Paperback)
I know, I know: "don't judge a book by its cover." But that is exactly why I had passed on this instructional before. The cover - which doesn't invite anyone to even pick up this book - is an awful diversion from the quality of information found here. Apparently, Epstein found an new editor or photographer to give her current works much, much more visual appeal.

Recently, I bought this and was surprised at what I found. This book is a great place to start! It's actually the 'Cliff Notes' to Epstein's other works - a springboard into the 'Edge' series. I have not bought any of the "Edge" series, only because they seem overwhelming and I didn't think I would actually use them (at least at this point in my knitting life). There is enough variation in patterns, ideas, and techniques to challenge and inspire anyone! This skimmed version is a great place to start. I'm encouraged to pick up her other books and reweigh their value in my knitting library.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best in it's field, February 28, 2006
HBF (Tennessee) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nicky Epstein's Knitted Embellishments (Paperback)
This book is one of the best in it's filed --at least of the ones that I have seen. I am a great Nicky Epstein fan, because she is so thorough and knows her stuff. You can find a ton of inspiration to embellish and improve your knitted pieces, or any other garment, bag, hat, pillow, toy, etc., for that matter, as the embellishments shown will be wonderful to personalize any item you wish to "treat". The instructions are precise and detailed enough for any but the novice knitter, without being too lengthy. The pictures give you a clear impression of what your result will be. I am glad to have bought this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of several great edging books by Nicky Epstein, February 13, 2001
This review is from: Nicky Epstein's Knitted Embellishments (Paperback)
If you have a favorite pattern that you do over and over, this book can help. I have two or three baby sweaters I love to make as gifts, and I customize them with appliques, and other ideas from Nicky Epstein's wonderful embellishments.

For example, I made the Cottage Creations Babies and Bears Sweater yet again, this time in a beige wool, and put an applique faux pocket with embroidered initials on it, a contrast red and loden edging and I had a lovely Bavarian style sweater for a co-worker's new son.

I also adore the section on what to do with I-cord. If your kids like to knit this by the yard, here's ideas to use the cord. For example, you can make stunning Celtic-style knotwork by applying the cord to a plain knitted ground on a pillow or afghan, or even the pockets or front of a plain pullover. (If you are just learning to knit and doing plain raglan sweaters, and can do I-cord, you can make some things that will make you look as if you are a master knitter.)

This book is also fun just to browse. Don't be without it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Nicky Epstein's Knitted Embellishments
Nicky Epstein's Knitted Embellishments by Nicky Epstein (Paperback - May 1, 1999)
Used & New from: $1.67