5.0 out of 5 stars I just want to share my story....
Published on December 22, 1999 by andyslash

3.0 out of 5 stars Bittersweet reminders
Some real gems underscore what made this band's convincing chemistry so contagious, but sadly the majority of tracks highlight its b-side nature.
Published on February 15, 2010 by IRate

5.0 out of 5 stars I just want to share my story...., December 22, 1999
This review is from: Nico (Audio CD)
I worked in a music store for a few years. When this CD came in, I had only heard 'No Rain', so Blind Melon didn't mean much to me. Something about this CD.... It would catch my eye every time I walked down the 'B' aisle. This happened for probably six months. It was like it was 'calling' to me- that 'it' knew that I would love this album. I finally bought it- just because- I wasn't a fan, it wasn't on the radio, nothing- just 'because'. It turns out that it is one of my favorite albums I own (and I own 500 CD's alone). Every song on this disc has touched me in some way or another. 'Soul One' is beautiful, as is 'Soup'. The rawness of this album give it an unbelievable atmospheric quality. I cannot recommend this disc enough. You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, March 25, 2004
Andrew Wylie (Texarkana, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nico (Audio CD)
I would have to say that this is by all means my best and most used cd ever bought. Shannon was an amazing performer, he and the rest of the band(Rogers,Christopher,Brad,and Glen)were so under-rated that it makes me sick every time i hear them. I have been a die-hard fan for about 5 years now and i just can't get tired of their beautiful and touching music. Its like nothing else, forget "No Rain",listening to Blind Melon makes you close your eyes and it warms you inside. Their talent was unbelievable along with their music. I only wish they Shannon was here now to make some more real music. He is deeply missed by us fans.
Oh yea you have to buy this cd. Trust me you can't help but love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars What can you say, it's Blind Melon, January 19, 2003
John (Albuquerque, NM) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nico (Audio CD)
Really, what can you say? This CD is stunningly brilliant. It is insanely good, to the point where I can't actually comprehend its beauty and soulfulness. It has a distinctly different flavor from the other two CD's, not to take anything away from them, each being amazing in there own way. This album, however, is a bit slower, perhaps softer, and more acoustic. It beautifully mixes an intensely emotional folk sound with a masterful element of classic rock. I really can't stress how good this album is, you'll just have to hear it yourself. Seriously, you have to hear it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blind Melon Rocks!, April 6, 2000
julie (Illinois, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nico (Audio CD)
The last album, Nico, is by far one of Blind Melon's greatest works. Nico is a beatiful combination of music, lyrics, and vocals. Shannon Hoon's creativity and talents is portrayed throughout the each and every song. In addition to the album itself, Nico is an enhanced CD with many additional features such as: photo collages and a detailed story about the tragic death of Shannon Hoon. Nico is definetly worth checking out. Blind Melon will always be one of the greatest bands that ever was. Their cheerful, touching, and sometimes comical creations will go on forever. I highly reccomend all three of their spectacular CD's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Music, August 4, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Nico (Audio CD)
The first time I heard this album was when a friend lent it to me. I was on my way to work and put it in the cd player. Two weeks later, there it remained. I can't describe how incredible their music is, I'm sure you'll agree. Shannon had a gift, a beautiful gift. I'm just glad he got to share a little bit of that gift with the world. The band made this cd for us, the fans, and for Nico Blue. Maybe, one day, she will be able to use this disc to see a glimpse of who her father was. There are three guarantees in life--you'll live, you'll die, you'll love this cd.
RIP Shannon

5.0 out of 5 stars a sad, fitting end, November 16, 2000
This review is from: Nico (Audio CD)
I find "Nico" to be eerily prophetic. Hearing Shannon Hoon wail "Gonna pull the trigger and I'll make it all go away" on "Soup" still brings me shivers knowing he met his demise by heroin's unmerciful grip soon after. The cover of Steppenwolf's "The Pusher" is also a haunting eulogy to a habit he never could break. The music seems sadder than the other two albums, but the music and the heart is still there. Chris Thorn and the rest of the band could really play, and this album is a good exhibition of their talents.
The videos are a great addition. I would really like to see "Letters from the porcupine," but until I can get my hands on a copy, this will have to do. Especially worth seeing - an acoustic performance of "No Bidness" for a radio station shows how good they were and how good they got along.
I have heard some people say this album is too rough around the edges. Admittedly, it is a style some may not appreciate, but any Blind Melon fan should love hearing the last efforts of a great band before their untimely breakup. The last song, recorded on Chris Thorn's answering machine, left me distraught that Shannon Hoon won't be coming home: "I pledge alliegence, so God why don't you come on over here?"

5.0 out of 5 stars I rarely give 5 stars, but this is golden, November 21, 2001
Evan (in the world) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nico (Audio CD)
This is likely the most emotional and beautiful album i've ever purchased. The flowing guitar and Hoon's voice fit like a glove. It almost sounds as though Blind Melon was winging each song, and each song came out a success. "Soul One" is just one of the many bright spots on this album. Its a shame Melon is gone, R.I.P. Shannon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw, March 3, 2009
This review is from: Nico (Audio CD)
Music is not like it used to be. Seems these days computer programs make everything perfect until it is no longer what it originaly was. To me perfection comes with rawness, the true sound. That to me is what makes music beautiful, that is how it should be. I miss the era of Melon coming out and the great new music at that time.
As with all Melon CD's this is another 5 star. So many people seem to know so little about this highly unappreciated, underated band. To me, I adore them. They are original, talented, versatile, and timeless. 1993 was 16 years ago and this band has never burnt me out on them.
In my opinion BM is as timeless as such as Joplin, Garcia, Zepplin, Doors, and so on.
Check out this CD if you haven't yet and if you are tired and bored with todays sucky MTV and commerical radio. What a breath of fresh air this will be!

4.0 out of 5 stars Shannon Hoon will be forever missed, February 8, 2008
Momerath (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nico (Audio CD)
After Shannon Hoon overdosed on cocain and died, his band members released this album. It's full of b-sides (even a song recorded on an answering machine) that never made it to their other two studio albums (including soup). The name of the album is Shannon's daughter's name. This is mostly filled with gems. I suggest it if you are a Blind Melon fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Their Best, But Still Great, January 8, 2002
David Kaminsky (Phoenix, Arizona AZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nico (Audio CD)
Nico is a great album. Don't let the title mislead you. It's just that their self-titled album and Soup are so good that Nico can't compare. The Pusher is great cover of the original. The Ripped Away Version of No Rain is really neat to here, it's a nice rendition of the song that never gets old. Soul One is my favorite song on the CD. Those are just my highlights though. If you loved the other two CDs of theirs then you'll love this. Now, what is this new Classic Masters CD?

Nico
Nico by Blind Melon (Audio CD - 1996)