5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful translation
It is more than a little amusing to see reviewers stumbling over their tongues to comment on Aristotle. Volumes--no, entire libraries--have been dedicated to Aristotelian commentary. I doubt any prospective Amazon buyer cares what Joe Smith from Anytown, USA thinks of Aristotle. What would be helpful is an assessment of the particular translations.
Hands down, Martin...
Published on July 25, 2001 by Paper Doll

1.0 out of 5 stars Bait and Switch
Published on June 22, 2010 by Dennis

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful translation, July 25, 2001
This review is from: Nicomachean Ethics (Paperback)
Hands down, Martin Ostwald's is, in my opinion, the best available. Well-annotated, with no interpretive essay to clutter the text, Ostwald immerses himself in the Athenian moral vocabulary, to our great benefit. Especially worthwhile is the glossary of oft-used, untranslatable ethical terms at the end of the book. Here, Ostwald clearly shows that the Greeks could convey in scant semantic space what it takes us an entire paragraph to even approximately explain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Glossary, December 22, 2007
'German Boy' (Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nicomachean Ethics (Paperback)
The glossary alone is worth the price of the book. It goes into the meaning and evoked connotations of the Greek technical terms (and, mirabile dictu, gives the spellings in GREEK SCRIPT as well). 'Words,' for the Greeks, were 'charged' with meanings, not just hollow sounds. One can sense the 'Germanic' academic rigor coursing through Ostwald's scholarship.

4.0 out of 5 stars THE BASIC SOURCE!!!, April 17, 2009
Wow! I'm reviewing Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics! First, I read this first at college 25 years ago. Re-reading it provided me an amazing a-ha!!! So much more made sense to me! It's one of those texts that is worth re-reading a couple of times in one's life, for as we mature, we are privy to new insights offered by this great person. First, this translation contained at least a half dozen translation errors. What I found to be errors off the cuff makes me wonder what other errors might have been made in the translation and editing process. The errors that I found were minor and would not have altered my decision to purchase this masterpiece. Second, while brilliant and while he discusses the values and virtues and deficits and aspirations and social processes, this piece does not focus upon the applied ethics that I most enjoy. I give this a solid "A" and highly recommend it for anyone who wishes to study human nature and ethical conflicts. Overall, the translation is probably easier to read than an older translation, most likely because of the difference between today's and yesterday's more eloquent English. Again, outstanding reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Who can deny the great price?, August 22, 2013
A fantastic price for a monumental work. Any lover of philosophy or of cheap books will want to make this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Quintessential Book by Aristotle on Ethics!, September 25, 2005
This review is from: Nicomachean Ethics (Paperback)
Although Aristotle wrote many books on ethics, this is the major one and is considered his greatest work on the subject. Aristotle believed that happiness is the end of life and that as long as a person is striving for goodness, good deeds will result from that struggle, making the person virtuous and therefore happy. This book should be on the shelf of all serious students of philosophy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aristotle's ethics in affordable paperback, May 16, 2014
Dover Thrift Editions are the most affordable paperback classics out there. They are public domain translations, easily found online, but are handy if you want a hardcopy. This copy of Aristotle's "Nicomachean Ethics" includes a biography and extensive introduction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great condition, September 6, 2012
Yes, it came quickly, and in really great shape. I am very satisfied with the product advertised, thank you. There were no markings and nothing bent.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bait and Switch, June 22, 2010
Dennis (Greensboro, NC USA) - See all my reviews
I just received the Dover Thrift edition of Nichomachean Ethics and to my dismay discovered that this is not the Broadie and Rowe edition. To be sure, if I had been a more critical reader of the webpage, I would have discovered a link that led me elsewhere and from that I could have figured that out. But with all the explicit references to the Broadie and Rowe edition on this webpage, I looked no further. From the audiobook version of Broadie and Rowe, I can attest to the very natural language of the translation, and I would recommend it. But this is not Broadie and Rowe. Look elsewhere. The Dover edition is 100 years old and by modern standards the language is rather stilted, though certainly readable. But I am greatly disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Book But..., October 24, 2010
Anonymous (New Canaan, Ct) - See all my reviews
This is a very good book, it was delivered in a prompt manor as advertised, but I could not use it for my philosophy class. This edition does not come with the Bekker numbers that are required to keep up with the class discussions, and to complete the assignments. If you need a copy of Nicomachean Ethics to read, this is great, but for acedemic work this is not the edition for you, because of the exclusion of the Bekker numbers. My professor recommends this edition for class: Nicomachean Ethics: Aristotle you won't find a better edition than the Martin Ostwald translation of Aristotle's work!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Some Wisdom, Read this Book, February 17, 2013
This book was a delight. Very practical and parts had me laughing out loud. For example, "a really ugly person can't be happy." or "women or men who resemble women like to moan and share their pains but not good men." What you should come away with is this: Almost all virtue has an excess and a defect. Our goal as we strive to be good is to find that perfect absolute center. Of course as a Christian I'm not doing that alone.

Nicomachean Ethics
Nicomachean Ethics by Aristotle (Paperback - June 1962)
Used & New from: $0.01