Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$14.14 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on April 5, 2009
Let me start by saying that this is the first time I have felt compelled to write a review after thirty years (I started young, LOL) of reading hundreds of romances from category to erotica. Every four hundred books or so (LOL) you stumble across that little gem of an author that just gets it----they are able to take that HEA and make it feel like it is the first time you have ever read it---NOT an easy thing to do with the plethora of books of this genre floating around. Ms. Reeves has accomplished this in SPADES!

I stumbled on this book out of desperation and was absolutely blown away. I finished over 36 hours ago and it is still lingering. I loved the characters, the emotional pervasivness, the SCORCHING passion. In short, everything about this book is wonderful. Kind of felt like the old Linda Howard's (After the Night) or old Sandra Brown's or more recently, Lora Leigh, Sarah McCarty, and Lisa Marie Rice. Girls, if you enjoy any of these authors you are going to love this book. And did I say it was HOTTTTT?

Brava Ms. Reeves! I wish I could give you ten stars for this book---you deserve it. Keep 'em comin.'
VINE VOICEon October 31, 2010
REVIEWER'S OPINION:
3 stars for the story. It was predictable. At times I was tired of Morgan being timid and afraid, but on balance I enjoyed it. I really liked the sex scenes which brought this up to 4 stars for me. Two of them were very sensual. I was moved by how gentle Nick was during sex with Morgan. I was surprised at how turned on I felt. I'm so used to alpha this and bdsm that, that this gentleness was a moving and pleasant change of pace.

The characters and plot are simple. Don't expect unique and different. The main story is an abused woman slowly healed by a man who heals abused horses. They learn about each other and fall in love. It worked for me. The story is shorter than most romance novels - about 2/3 the length.

Minor annoyance due to the publisher: Morgan has mahogany hair down to her knees which was talked about enough to make it important. The cover picture has blond hair.

STORY BRIEF:
Morgan was married for six years to an abusive husband. She was a virgin when she married. He began beating her on their wedding night. She has never known pleasant sex. As a result of the beatings, she lives with leg pain and scars on her face. Her husband was recently killed in an auto accident. Morgan moves to rural Montana to heal. She paints pictures which she mails to her cousin who owns an art gallery.

Nick was in jail for six years. After his release, he inherited some money from his grandfather which he used to purchase and create his horse training business in Montana. He provides a pleasant environment for abused horses to live out the rest of their lives. For a living Nick trains and heals horses.

Morgan moves into the cottage near Nick's ranch. As their paths cross Nick sees how frightened she is of any interaction. She is drawn to him, but fears men too much to allow it. Nick is patient and treats her as gently as he treats his abused horses. She slowly gets over some of her fears.

DATA:
Story length: 252 pages. Swearing language: strong, including religious swear words. Sexual language: strong. Number of sex scenes: 6. Total number of sex scene pages: 39. Setting: current day Montana. Copyright: 2009. Genre: erotic contemporary romance.
on July 6, 2009
"...the first time I saw you...with the moonlight highlighting your face and hair...you looked like an angel, and right then I knew you were the woman I wanted."

Can a book be both heart-warming...and...sizzling at the same time? You bet--Night Angel by Renee Reeves is just that!

I've read a lot of books that feature abuse; it is never easy to read. However, I believe that the more we learn about the reality of what it does to people, the more we are able to speak out against and support those who have been abused! So, first, I applaud Renee Reeves for handling an extremely sensitive issue in such a well-written manner!

Morgan never had a chance. She was romanced and wooed by a professional who never touched her intimately until the night of their marriage, when they were on their honeymoon. Richard was his name. Richard took Morgan's virginity through rape and assault. That type of abuse lasted for six years until Richard was killed in an automobile accident. We are all glad he is dead! As Morgan admits, if he hadn't been killed, she probably would have been dead because the beatings were getting worse and worse.

Nick also never had a chance. He stayed in his bed at nights listening to his father rape and beat his mother, without being able to do anything. He and Jake, his brother, were also abused. Until Jake was 17 and big enough to defend himself, but by that time, it was too late--his father had murdered his mother! And Nick had taken his revenge.

Throughout the book, the past lives of both Morgan and Nick creep into their present lives. Morgan had moved to Montana to get away and start a new life. Nick and his brother had bought a ranch using money their grandfather had left them. Fate clearly brought the two together! Because as Morgan sought and found a perfect spot to be her hideaway, it just happened to be on Nick's property; they were now neighbors!

It was seeing one of the abused horses that Nick had saved and brought to the ranch that made Morgan realize that she could perhaps trust her feelings that were growing for Nick. There just was no doubt--she was very attracted to him and Nick felt the same. But Morgan's fears from her past came unbidden, even when she had no real reason to be afraid.

It was seeing his face painted on one of Morgan's canvases that made Nick realize that he might have a chance to win Morgan's love.

I read Night Angel in a day. It is easy reading and fast, especially in some parts... Those are the sizzling parts you'll have to enjoy yourself. I've shared the heartwarming story of two individuals, hurt and alone, but still willing to find and fight for a life-long love!

Like romance novels? Then Night Angel by Renee Reeves will take you on one of the "Sensuous Journeys" that is promised on the front cover. It's a winner!

G. A. Bixler
on April 9, 2009
This has to be one of the best and most creative story lines I have read in a long time. Renee Reeves combines a loving relationship into one that has sincerity and all out passion. This kind of theme is missing in so many authors that produce romance today but Reeves captures all the right features in what appears to be here first novel. I love this book from cover to cover and had to read it twice!!. I look forward to what Renee may have to to offer hungry avid romance readers in the months to come. Great Book!!!! Keep them coming!!!!Definately a must read......
on April 17, 2014
I devoured this heroes characteristics that gave him the qualities many romance heroes lacks. Seriously, his physical demeanor equals the personality one and I was simply swept away by this one rough and silence cowboy. For the author's first debut novel...this story has emotional depth and deals with a subject matter not for the faint of heart. The struggles and inner battles the heroine was facing was handled by the author in a realistic way, especially after meeting the hero she was so guarded and suspicious of his every move. The heroine was sweet and vulnerable but the hero really was a winner for me.

He was a loner, a tortured hero that battled his own demons in his lonely mind not allowing anyone come close in which denying himself any emotional attachment that could otherwise give him joy and happiness. Everyone around him only recognized a "glimpses" of a man but his vulnerability was well hidden and I love the author for allowing the heroin's sweetness and goodhearted spirit heal his broken lonely heart. The way he interacted with the heroine on a physical as well as emotional level was so endearing and sweet...the hero was so caring and protective towards the heroine and the love scenes were absolutely divine! The was NO F***** BUT THERE WAS LOVING SEX a sensual act of devotion and emotional connection, not just sex. When the hero was forced to reveal his past and what happened that took him to prison, I just wanted to give him a big hug...it was very emotional moment that took me some time to recover. What a life he had to live in...just a reminder that we should not take things for granted but cherish it and appreciate it.
on June 20, 2013
This book is a prime example of not judging a book by its cover. The cover is a bit boring and lets face it tame. This was one of the first ebooks I bought back in 2009 on my old eReader. Before my iPad became permanently attached to me! I can't even remember where I can across it but it turned out to be unforgettable. Nick's a big tough ex-con, he made mistakes as a young guy but has certainly turned his life around. Now he runs a successful business with his brother and rescues abused horses to give them a new chance at life. Yes, the compassion to the gentle way he treats his horses and how he treat's Morgan are easy to see.

Morgan has been in abusive marriage but has been recently widowed. Her cousin talks her into moving to the country for a new start. She wasn't counting on her sexy new neighbour wanting to help her out. Morgan is understandable very, very wary. However you really see her working through her trust issues. A warning, the past abuse Morgan has endured is quite descriptive so if you a sensitive to that this isn't the book for you.

Although Nick comes off as an alpha guy I like the restraint built into his character. The sex scenes are very sensual and hot. He doesn't have to dominate to show his strength. This is a simple, believable story of two people finding each other.

I really loved this book. Over the years every now and the I check out the author to see if she publishes anything else. No luck as yet! But I did find out on her publishers Black Velvet Seductions website she plans to put out a sequel to Night Angel called Night Ride featuring Nick's brother. I can't find anything about a release date, but I am hoping it's not too far away. If any one has more information out there I would love to hear!

by Renee Reeves
Black Velvet Seductions
2009
ISBN: 978-0-9802246-3-4
246 pages
Print/eBook
Contemporary Erotic Romance

Morgan Fletcher is living in peaceful seclusion in Montana, doing her best to overcome the physical and mental damage left by years of abuse at the hands of her late husband. The last thing she wants is another man, especially one with as much potential for danger as her neighbour, rancher Nick Evanoff. Why is he so dangerous? Tall, heavily muscled and handsome enough to devour, Nick makes Morgan want to reach past her terror and try for a normal relationship. She knows all men are alike; he knows his past will prove it.

Night Angel by Renee Reeves is a modern and intense romance. Yet, when I finished the story, I felt as though I had been reading one of the better, old-time Harlequins. Let me put it this way: while there is something refreshing and very entertaining about Night Angel, the novel also feels comfortable, even familiar. As it is my job to define such things, let's give it a whirl.

The characters are vivid; they walk right off the page and into your mind. No paper cut-outs here. The relationship between Morgan and Nick feels real, including the intimately described and often touching sex scenes. It's also unusual for a romance to provide a damaged heroine or to deal openly with abuse. Hmm... doesn't sound like a Harlequin at all, does it?

But, there's more. Reeves has penned a tale where both characters act in ways that ensure they will end up together, mainly their valiant struggles to overcome personal demons while helping the other to do the same. Real life just isn't that clean. This is where my mention of the formula romance comes in. Yes, the two lovers experience definite ups and downs, but it's the expected coming together and pulling apart until love conquers all formula of romance, not the messy, imperfect love typical of real life.

The thing is, Reeves writes so well, involves you so deeply, the fairy tale ending is not just acceptable, readers would be crushed if it wasn't provided. This is why Night Angel falls into the category of romance, rather than garnering the more general label of fiction.

In the end, I would have to say that what Renee Reeves has given the reader in Night Angel is a rich example of what a genre novel can be. This is an achievement deserving of compliment.

Copyright © Clayton Clifford Bye 2009
on March 19, 2009
Loved this book! It was by turns hot, sad, sweet, and just plain moving. I am not good at reviews and apologize for the shortness of this one. I HIGHLY recommend this book!
on May 2, 2009
Sweet, sensual romance about two tortured souls who, for dissimilar reasons, feel undeserving of a loving relationship. The death of her abusive husband releases Morgan Fletcher from six years of anguish. She decides a change of scenery is what she needs to start her new, free life and moves from the city to a small, picturesque town in Montana.

Morgan's closest neighbor is Nick Evanoff, an ex-convict, who runs a sanctuary for abused horses. Nick's attraction to Morgan is initially from afar. His status as an ex-con, he's convinced, doesn't make him an attractive candidate for romance.

Morgan, too, has her own misgivings about becoming involved with a man. Her marriage left her with both emotional and physical scars. From her point of view, men become vicious once they have gained a woman's trust.

Fate and a traffic accident throw Morgan and Nick together. He immediately recognizes the tell-tale signs of Morgan's abuse. As with his horses, Nick is drawn to help Morgan overcome her fear of love, trust, and unworthiness. By helping Morgan overcome her insecurities, Nick is able to face his own.

Along with its romantic nature, Night Angel is a journey through sensitivity and compassion, and is a book worth reading.
on October 8, 2011
The story is a good one: a woman recovering from a violent life in a horrible marriage meets a kind and understanding man who helps her on the road to getting her life back. If you are looking for a quick read, this is a good one, it offers some realistic aspects, without getting bogged down with all of the real entanglements that go along with recovering from trauma.

The heroine is also "less that perfect" with scars physically and emotionally, but she is an inspriring woman with a desire to overcome her past. The hero is strong, struggling with his own past (not poor choices on his part, but rather what fate dealt to him in life) and helping the heroine regain her sense of self. The hero's past plays such a key role in the story that I think it should have been revealed sooner to help the reader understand his motivations.

Secondary characters are well developed for a short story, playing key roles in the story.

If you want a deep story that covers the nitty-gritty aspects of recovery from domestic violence, this is probably not the book for you. If you are looking for a good read with a moderate dose of reality, a heroine who isn't "perfect" and a little bit of inspiration, you will probably enjoy Night Angel.