Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Night Catch
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 12, 2007
As an Army wife, the hardest thing I have to endure is watching my kids say goodbye to their dad for an entire year as he goes to Iraq for the second time. There will be nothing more important to them during this time than routine and ritual to keep Daddy close in their hearts. This book will be a great tool for helping them keep Daddy part of their nighttime routine. The story is about a father, a soldier, who is being sent to serve in a far off location (in what looks like Iraq but it's never specifically stated). The father proposes a special nightly game of catch with his son in which his son finds Polaris each night before climbing in bed. He instructs the boy to, "Breathe in deep, then blow out hard to send that North Star sailing far." Then Dad tells his son, "Then close your eyes and have sweet dreams of playing catch amid moonbeams. The star will travel all the night while you are sleeping, tucked in tight. I'll work while waiting patiently for that North Star to come to me. Then as you open up your eyes, I'll spot it in my darkening skies. I'll catch that star with a grand salute on my end of its nightly route." The lyrical story goes on to say how dad will send the star back and they will send it back and forth until the end of his time abroad. "Then when I'm finished working there, I'll blow a final puff of air. I'll board the plane and ask the crew to race that star right back to you."

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! I can't say enough about the sweet but simple nature of the story or of the illustrations, which are magical and relaxing at the same time. As my family prepares for a year-long deployment, I'm stocking up on books. I'm glad to see that I have more of a selection than basic (non-military) separation books. Really, because of the unique nature of this experience, military kids really deserve to have a story that they can perfectly relate to. I also got "Daddy's in Iraq, but I Want him Back" and loved it. I have younger kids (preschoolers/toddler) so I want no mention of war and danger, only something they can relate to about Daddy having to be gone a long time in service of his country and to help people.

This book is absolutely one I would recommend to friends.
on September 16, 2005
I heard Brenda Ehrmantraut read this book at a SCBWI conference and was incredibly moved by both her lyrical prose and the sweetness of the story. This book should be gifted to every child with a parent stationed overseas. It's absolutely beautiful.
on March 18, 2008
My husband will soon leave for Kuwait, leaving behind our 4 yo daughter and me. I've been researching various deployment books since we learned he was going.

Overall, this is one of the best books. It is service neutral (which is difficult to find). The story is about love and separation more than the actual reason they are gone. The illustrations are lovely and typical of quality children's books as opposed to deployment books that look like they were drawn by children.

While our daughter becomes sad when her dad reads it to her, I feel as if it will help a lot when he leaves.
on January 31, 2010
I bought this book for my almost 3 yr old daughter as her daddy leaves once again. I hoped the book would help us explain in a different way that daddy was leaving again. The book failed to meet my needs. Two strikes in relation to my family and this book - 1)it's about a boy with a baseball, and 2) it is really for an older kid. The author creates a nightly routine that has a baseball theme, but my daughter doesn't play baseball with daddy yet. I tried to change the words to a "kiss" with the "moon" but it didn't translate well. So, if you have a boy 5+ I would say that this is a great book. For a 3 yr old girl - not the book. I also bought "Daddy goes on a trip" which features a girl and is easier for a younger kids. This book seems to help(?). Good luck to all of you!
on September 30, 2015
I'm in the military and going through a really long technical school. Its been really hard on my 3.6 year old. He LOVES LOVES LOVES to read this book with me, through not as much with mom when I'm gone, but it seemed to get him to understand that I was leaving but I would come back. I suspect when I eventually have to go on a deployment and he is a bit older and able to understand more of the book, it will be even greater.
on May 19, 2015
I bought this book for my 5 year old son to get ready for my husbands deployment. The reviews seemed pretty good so I gave it a shot. We LOVE this book! Even my 9 year old loves to read it. This book is geared more for boys, but if your daughter loves baseball then it works just as well. The idea of the "game" they play is so adorable we are going to play it when he leaves. Playing catch with a star each night, my youngest is so excited!
on July 17, 2015
This is a great book for when Daddy has to leave. Even though it's about a boy and his father, my little girl absolutely loves this story. When her father is away she wraps up in the blanket he had made for her and we read this every night before bed. Then we go outside and she blows as hard as she can to send that star to daddy. I definitely reccomend this book
on March 14, 2011
My son is 5 and my husband is about to embark on our 3rd combat deployment. I have been researching books for me to purchase to help our son with coping. This book really helps. It's nothing like a miracle, but it's sweet that every night he asks to see the moon and the stars. Now him and his father are planning on playing "night catch" once he leaves. I am so thankful that this is one of many things that will help him during this deployment.
on November 11, 2011
When daddy left for deployment I bought this book to help our 7 year old son with him being gone. He loves it and has even stated many mornings how he dreamed of playing catch across the world with daddy with a baseball that traveled "super fast". :) Would recommend this for any young boy with a parent deployed.
on September 7, 2015
This book is a wonderfully written and illustrated book to show the love and the bond a father shares with his son even from many miles away! My husband is deployed and this book is perfect to read with my son and help him have a way to feel close to daddy while he is away. I would recommend this book to any member of any branch of service for their children. I only wish I had gotten it before my husband left, so he could read it to him and recorded it!