1,740 Reviews
 (1,343)

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful is an understatement
I recall when I first read 'Night', it was just after Elie Wiesel had given a lecture at my university. It was in the mid-1980s, and the lecture hall was standing-room-only. Wiesel's presentation moved us to tears, and moved us to anger, and moved me to want to follow up on his words by reading what he had written.

This is written a style that seems to be...
Published on January 18, 2006 by FrKurt Messick

3.0 out of 5 stars I Want More Info!
Published on September 29, 2009 by Live Laugh Love

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful is an understatement, January 18, 2006
This review is from: Night (Hardcover)

This is written a style that seems to be typical of many modern Israeli novelists; it is so close to the truth of the actual events that transpired in Wiesel's life that it might as well be treated as autobiographical. Thus, it seems to some to be more a work like a novel than a memoir, but Weisel describes it himself as more of a deposition. It isn't autobiography in the traditional sense, but that is what helps give the book its power. Weisel remembers the events here, This is actually part of a trilogy - Night, Dawn, and The Accident - although each element stands alone with integrity. (Dawn and The Accident are works of fiction, but also draw on Weisel's own recollections and feelings.)

How does one deal with survival after such atrocities as that at Birkenau and Auschwitz? How can one have faith in the world? How can one accept that a people so closely identified with a powerful God can ever accept that God again? Where is God in the midst of such things?

Wiesel himself as spent his life in search of such answers, but doesn't provide them here. Why then would one want to read such accounts as these? Wiesel was silent for many years, until he was brought into speech and writing as a witness to the events. Wiesel proclaims that there is in the world now a new commandment - 'Thou shalt not stand idly by' - when such things are happening, one must act. One must remember the past in all its personal aspects to both honour those who suffered and to forestall such things happening again (which, given the the depressing repetitive nature of history, is a difficult task).

This is the longest short book I've ever read. It is one that has stayed with me from the first page, and I've never been able to shake the images brought forward, the misery and suffering, the existence of evil and brutality, the sadness and desolation. We live in a culture that likes to gloss over pain and suffering, mask it with drugs and other things, and always end the story with a happy ending.

There is no happy ending here - even Wiesel's own survival is a questionable good here. How does one live after this? How does the world go on?

One thing is certain, we must never forget, and this book is part of that active remembering that we are called to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brutality of Apathy Revealed in Relentless Detail and Still Sadly Resonant Far Beyond the Holocaust, January 17, 2006
This review is from: Night (Paperback)
In a world that often feels like it is teetering toward relenting madness, Elie Wiesel's vividly haunting 1960 memoir still reminds us that there was a precedent for the deranged mindset that justifies acts of terrorism. In a concise, unadorned manner, he relives the spiraling insanity that surrounded the Jewish population of Sighet, Transylvania, as insulated a world as one could imagine and certainly a community who understandably could not embrace the insanity of the extermination occurring around them. Inevitably, they are taken to Auschwitz and Buchenwald, two of the most infamous concentration camps, where Wiesel provides painfully palpable detail of the day-to-day living conditions. He not only records the brutality and inhumanity of the Nazi guards toward the Jews, as other have, but more tellingly, describes the inhumanity of the camp inmates toward each other for the sake of survival.

It's a stark peek into the nature of evil that is at once uncomfortable to acknowledge and invaluable to read and absorb. The propagation of evil from forces unexpected is what makes Wiesel's book resonate today. As we consider the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia, the Dili and Liquica Church massacres in East Timor, the 1994 Rwandan genocide (dramatized in the superb film, 2004's "Hotel Rwanda"), or most pertinently, the detention camps that exist today in North Korea, it is obvious that the Third Reich did not have a monopoly on justifying such slaughter. With his two older sisters, Wiesel was able to survive the camps and share his devastating story with future generations. Compressed from a much larger memoir Wiesel wrote in Yiddish, the book represents a powerfully affecting treatment that edits the key moments of his existence to their essence. The result is elliptical and startling. Like Art Spiegelman's "Maus" series, William Styron's "Sophie's Choice", Thomas Keneally's "Schindler's List" and of course, the most heartbreaking, Anne Frank's diary, Wiesel's work lends yet another piercing look into the unanticipated breaches of the human soul during one of history's most dire times. Strongly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breath Taking Experience...., May 23, 2006
This review is from: Night (Paperback)
"Night" by: Elie Wiesel...was a breathtaking read.

I came across "Night" as a school assignment. Which=a major grade. I started to read it as a chore...but as I dove deeper into the depth of the this novel..it was like a gift of appreciation. The appreciation of "FREEDOM" that we take for granted everyday.

When you read this book...it is literally like you personally, were shipped off to a German Concentration camp. I recall feeling a deep sympathy for the unexpecting Jews. Noone should be treated as these people were...and we take the Freedom that we have as a given. But, what happened in "Night" just goes to show, that we can not take this free life that we live for granted. God can test your faith just as he did these Jews...but the challange is on you...to see if you will with hold on your FAITH.

I recommend "Night" for anyone of any age to read. It is definitely an "Eye opening" experience that i am thankful to have come about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Journey Into the Dark Night of the Soul, January 18, 2006
Robert W. Kellemen "Doc. K." (Crown Point, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night (Paperback)
Elie Wiesel's narrative of his own one-year experience spent in a concentration camp has appropriately become a classic in the field. Read it to find meaning in a seeming meaningless life. Read "Night" if you are going through your own "dark night of the soul" and want to find an answer to the perennial question, "Where is God?" Read "Night" if you think deeply about life and how it often falls on us and crushes us. Don't read "Night" only if you have a queasy stomach or the need to think that this life is a bed of roses.

Wiesel discovered that, "God is there in the suffering." His explanation is anything but trite. Instead, it grapples candidly with the confusion that life can and does bring. Fortunately Wiesel's candor leads to hope--the confidence that behind the evils in this life there resides a good God working out plans in a mysterious, yet glorious, way. The inner depths and black darkness of "Night" call us not to squeamish forgetting but to stark remembering. For only in remembering will we insist, "Never again!"

Reviewer: Bob Kellemen, Ph.D., is the author of Beyond the Suffering: Embracing the Legacy of African American Soul Care and Spiritual Direction , Spiritual Friends: A Methodology of Soul Care And Spiritual Direction, and Soul Physicians.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unimaginable horror, unbelievable strength, January 26, 2007
This review is from: Night (Paperback)
What impressed me most after "Night" was Elie Wiesel's ability to retain a pure heart. I can't imagine living through so much evil and still having the ability to love. "Night" tells of Wiesel's horrifying existence in the Nazi death camps and pays tribute to his overwhelming desire to survive. I cried through each page and can't imagine the strength it took to come out of that nightmare alive. To see what Elie Wiesel has done with his life since has been miraculous and life affirming.

This is not a book for the faint of heart as it is a real account of the horror endured by Wiesel and his family in the Nazi death camp. I thought I knew about the Holocaust but now I have a deeper understanding, something I was missing before. I applaud Elie Wiesel for his courage and perseverance and for sharing that with us in "Night."

5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable, May 23, 2006
This review is from: Night (Paperback)
Imagines described from this book still ring in my head. I read this in one sitting today. I think it is supposed to be unforgettable. To do away with a whole class of people is horrid and I was just in shock at the treatment.

Do you pray for the end to come or to outlast? What a moving piece of work. I think this book is one to be read, never to be forgotten and to remember what others have gone through. God Bless Mr Wiesel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Speechless, February 4, 2006
K. Spector (New York, N.Y.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night (Paperback)
Two days after reading this book I am still staring at the computer screen speechless as I write this. Less is more and in 100 pages Night leaves me with the same feeling it left Elie Wiesel, not looking for revenge, but in a state of hunger to stop standing idly by. Every president that ever leads this country should be required to read this book to understand the deepest evils humans can possess.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, May 14, 2006
Lily "Lily" (Los Angeles, CA.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night (Paperback)
Night provides the reader glimpses of horrors that the rest of humanity forgot. I read it in one day, yet its message will stay with me for the rest of my days. It is powerful and thought provoking, making you re-evaluate/re-establish your views of the Holocust and your sense of duty to human kind around the world. Elie Wiesel magically takes you there not only in sights and sound, but in spirit. Everyone should be exposed to Night.

3.0 out of 5 stars I Want More Info!, September 29, 2009
This review is from: Night (Paperback)
I recently finished reading Night for a school project. This was my second time reading it and I noticed so much more detail this time. While it was a good read, I was wanting more. I wish Elie would have included more about his life. Also, I would have loved to know more about his sisters and other family members. I did some research and found out that Elie was actually reunited with his sisters! You would have never known when reading Night, I thought they had perished in the Holocaust. I also would have liked to know about Elie's life after the Holocaust. What were the long term effects? What does he have to say to the world about his experience? What advice does he have to offer to the world?

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Memoir, May 13, 2006
This review is from: Night (Paperback)
For some reason - as a man - I am always reluctant to read or recommend books from Oprah's Book Club.
However this is a title that I feel no shame or stigma in doing so.

"Night" is the perfect memoir. - It has an incredible story to tell and the way its told is lean, direct and fast paced.

In reading it I gained a much better understanding of the holocaust experience, and a better appreciation for the Jewish faith.

I would recommend this title to anyone. Everyone.

Night
Night by Elie Wiesel (Paperback - January 16, 2006)
$9.95 $6.00