5.0 out of 5 stars Scary and Haunting Suspense Thriller from Beginning to End!
What the Night Knows is my first exposure to Dean Koontz. While I am not a fan of books and movies that scare the life out of me, Koontz may be the exception.

This author really knows how to tell a story that grabs the reader and does not let go until the book ends. Further, he is a master of pace, suspense and thrilling action that is visual to the point...
Published on November 8, 2010 by Tom McGee

1.0 out of 5 stars What Ever Happened To The Dean Koontz From Yesteryear?
Whatever happened to the Dean Koontz who wrote such excellent books as Watchers, Intensity, Dark Rivers Of The Heart, From The Corner Of His Eye, and Velocity -- just to name a few? It's sad to see when an author goes from being "can't miss" to "don't bother." For me, this has been the situation with Koontz's books over the past several years.

I was hoping,...
Published on November 14, 2010 by Bobbewig

‹ Previous | 136 37 3853 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing but tired cliches, January 8, 2012
A dead killer who takes control of unwitting living people to keep murdering! Shadowy demonic figures that live in mirrors! A little girl who sees dead people! Seen any good movies lately, Dean? How the mighty have fallen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Great, December 29, 2011
I had to give this book 4 stars instead of 5 for one reason only....after you read through the very beggining to book slows down for a while. However, once you reach page 200 the book takes off and is great from that point on! I personally don't see how anyone can not like this book, unless they gave up on it before it starts getting reallllly good. Trust me, stick with it through the halfway point and you will be rewarded with an awesome supernatural thriller from Koontz.

2.0 out of 5 stars I've cleaned food out of my refrigerator scarier than this book, October 19, 2011
John (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What the Night Knows (with bonus novella Darkness Under the Sun): A Novel (Kindle Edition)
I think it was meatloaf or perhaps pot roast... I'm not sure. Only the night knows! But it got my heart racing, which is more than I can say for the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Similar to the movie Fallen??, July 28, 2011
I really enjoyed reading this book. Read the entire thing in less than 24 hours. However, I was struck by the similarities between this book and the Denzel Washington/John Goodman 1998 movie "Fallen". It seems as if many of the plot points in this novel were taken directly from that movie. Maybe just a coincidence as Dean Koontz is a great author and should not have to borrow anyone else's work.

4.0 out of 5 stars First Koontz in a while to give chills, July 8, 2011
This is the first Koontz book I've read in a long time that actually had the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end - the first to have genuinely frightening moments.
This is also one of the most violent in a long time (with the exception of the Frankenstien series he's currently doing) with rape themes featuring strongly (probably as strongly as in Whispers, though we are spared having to read about one in progress), so be warned.

This book has its fair share of suspence as well, though it does start to become more annoying then suspenceful as characters continually keep revelations to themselves instead of sharing them. It fortunately does not get to the excruciating degree that False Memory got to, and it is explained or theorized later in the book.

**** Possible Spoiler *******
The biggest problem I had with the book is the fantastical ending. On the one hand, given the nature of the enemy in the story, divine intervention is the only true solution. How it manifests itself, however, was rather ridiculous in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars What Carlisle Knows: This Book Scared the Holy Crapola Out of Me!, June 25, 2011
Carlisle Wheeling (The World of Diversity) - See all my reviews
I've studied cases of demonic possession for over 20 years, and Dean Koontz's book is pretty much on the money, including the fact that Catholics are the only ones who take it seriously. If you know anything at all about these things and know that the Exorcist is based on a true story, this book will definitely frighten you. Outside of Your Heart Belongs to Me--which I didn't find scary-this is the only one of his books I've read. I can safely attest that this one will give you disturbing nightmares. Contrary to what someone else here wrote, what preaching? This has nothing whatsoever to do with it. It's just a good bone-chilling story that makes you wonder what kind of person you would become in the killer's shoes if you were full of that much mistreatment and hatred. You would be the perfect vessel for a demon to enter you, then go on to inhabit others. True, John's daughter Naomi was completely irritating, but that's what 12 year-old girls are like, and I loved Minnie! Not unlike Stephen King, he loves children, and this seems very much on that level. One question, though: what happened to the ghost of Willard, their dearly departed golden retriever? I thought he would play a part in the end, but we never saw him again outside of a few scenes. Highly recommended if you want a good otherworldly scare. Don't miss it, and expect this reader to go back to other Koontz books as well. He has a new fan!

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, May 16, 2011
J. Pride (Detroit, Michign, USA) - See all my reviews
This book is so boring. The children do not at all seem like children. The book started off really good. After the first chapters the book just drags. I couldn't decide if I was taking so long to read it because I was reading it on a kindle or what. I later decided that the book just became incredibly drab. The main character at first seems interesting, but he does alot of things that I find incredibly dumb. I would not recommend this book. I have to take a chance and try to read another one of Koontz books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Koontz is Back!, April 19, 2011
A hardcore Koontz fan, I admit to being a bit disappointed in a few of his more recent novels. I was starting to wonder if he was just "tapped out" of good stories. Glad to see he is not.

I read the Kindle-only prequel, "Darkness Under the Sun" (which I highly recommend reading first if you have a Kindle) which was gripping, creepy, and had me instantly flipping into this book, "What the Night Knows".

This book is extraordinarily creepy, which I LOVE. I made sure that I only read this at night, in the dark, by the glow of my Kindle reading light only, for maximum creepy effect. I was tense, with the hairs on the back of my neck raising a few times, and completely engrossed in the story. If I had to get out of bed while in the middle of reading, I ended up having to turn on lights to cast away the shadows instead of my usual roaming in the dark because the book had me so unnerved.

It's not perfect, and a few things are a bit predictable, hence the 4 stars instead of 5. But I applaud Koontz for bringing back the scare factor. This book was just an absolute, page-turning thrill ride. Thumbs up!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good read, April 14, 2011
Michaelbrent (Meridian, ID, United States) - See all my reviews
This was an excellent book. It trapped me from the beginning with its style and with the central question of what was happening to the protagonists. There were a few elements in this book that could have been a turnoff (I won't say which particularly - no spoilers), but they were handled deftly enough that I enjoyed the book in spite of them. The conclusion was a tad rushed, but nothing to really squawk about. Easily in the top 10% of DK books.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, April 10, 2011
I love Dean Koontz. What the Night Knows was a good read though i think it lacks the normal suspense, edge of your seat feeling you get with most of his books. I definatly recommend this novel

‹ Previous | 136 37 3853 | Next ›