5.0 out of 5 stars What a cute bedtime book
My 2-year old got this book for her birthday, and she absolutely loves it. We read it every night as part of her bedtime routine.

Published on January 25, 2005 by Kendra Gehring

3.0 out of 5 stars What customer service??????
Published on November 10, 2006 by Lisa M

5.0 out of 5 stars What a cute bedtime book, January 25, 2005
This review is from: The Moon In My Room (Night Light Books (Penton Overseas)) (Board book)

The story part of the book is a very simple one of brushing teeth, putting toys away, hug and kiss from mom and dad, and reading a bedtime story. The difference is that this book has a built-in nightlight. There is a moon "button" that emits a soft light when pressed. The light stays on for a few minutes, then fades to dark. Part of the bedtime story talks about the moon light.

And as a side...the nightlight works great as a flashlight when kiddo loses her pacifier in the middle of the night! :-)

I highly recommend this book!

3.0 out of 5 stars What customer service??????, November 10, 2006
Lisa M (Raleigh, NC) - See all my reviews
My son received this book for his second birthday and loves it! The story is cute and it is a great book for bedtime. However, we experienced the same problem with the battery life - it only lasted for 3 days. After replacing the batteries three times (at $12 a set) I thought I'd do some research to see if anyone else experienced this problem with the book. I was thrilled to see that other reviewers contacted the publisher and experienced great customer service.

So I immediately emailed the publisher to advise that it appears we had a defective book. No response. I emailed a second time and even stated this was the second time I'd emailed and included a link to this Amazon page. Still no response.

I am so disappointed in the publishing company and strongly advise anyone looking to purchase this book that they may get a defective book and NO customer service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book and equally great service, June 13, 2006
I, too, purchased this book only to get it home and have my 2-1/2 year old daughter sadly discover that the light was not working. Like others who commented here, I was disappointed at the rear cover's singular reference to "a battery" when in fact there were 4 under the lid ... and they were the expensive watch-type batteries.

Believing in giving customer service a fair chance, I visited the publisher's website whose address was on the rear cover as PentonOverseas.com. I was taken by surprise to receive a response the very next day from a pleasant lady named "Joy" (an appropriate name, might I add, for someone who PERSONALIZED the reply I received). The response exceeded my expectations, as I anticipated a robotic auto-answer such as we've all grown accustomed to receiving.

Not only did Joy offer (and follow through with) sending me a replacement book, but she also included an another book at no cost and without my asking. No argument, no question, no return authorization request. Just great customer service.

Additionally, Joy INCLUDED EIGHT (8) new batteries and gave me the phone# for ordering more "FREE" in the future; only a nominal shipping fee of approx $2 (if I recall correctly) was required.

The FREE batteries offer is not a direct link; we called 800-748-5804 ext. 671

I wish all companies in America responded with this level of courtesy, honesty and professionalism.

In closing, I would like to add a comment about this particular book. Not only does the built-in moon physically give off light, but the picture-story offers a glowing depiction of a child who is lulled to sleep in the care of his healthly, loving family. In a world that grows seeming darker every day, the Moon In My Room is exactly the kind of story I want my daughter to love and take to bed EACH and EVERY NIGHT.

Best regards,

Fox

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Customer Service!!!, March 7, 2006
My son received this book from his Granmother for the holidays. She bought it at Wal-Mart. We used it for a few weeks and then the batteries died. We replaced them and they died again. The batteries were not that expensive, but it was a little frustrating to have to replace them twice.

I contacted the printer by finding their website and emailing them at INFO@PENTONOVERSEAS.COM, the contact address listed. Within ONE HOUR I'd gotten a response from Joy stating, "It sounds like you may have a defective book. I will be happy to send your little guy a new book to the address listed below!" The book arrived, as promised, within just a couple of DAYS by express mail.

Amazing customer service. I'm never sure if I'll get a reply when I send in a customer service type email to other companies, but I did from Penton and it came within an HOUR of my original email.

WOW!!! I'm glad I took the time to contact them about the faulty book. The new book seems to be working properly. We've not had the battery problem we had before.

GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!

Hope that helps!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Fell apart with little use, February 18, 2005
First let me say my daughter LOVES this book. It works as a very nice nightlight, ideal because it gently dims and then turns off after a few minutes.

HOWEVER, ours broke within two months. It never left my daughter's bed, it literally was never dropped. My daughter is one of those very CALM toddlers, who doesn't bash stuff around.

Anyway, the moon went out and I opened it up and was a little annoyed because on the battery cover it says "Includes a replaceable battery!" Note the word "A". Which means ONE. NO, there are FOUR LL44 batteries in there. At Target, ONE LL44 battery is $2.99! That would mean to replace batteries you would have to pay $12 plus tax, when the book only cost $9!

So I wasted some time online looking for better prices for button cell batteries, then decided to scavenge from our other books with button cells. It was when I was replacing the batteries that I noticed that the little panel that meets up with the batteries (and sends their charge to the light) had broken off. Sigh. I have no earthly clue if it would be safe to leave in my daughter's bed if I tried to jury rig it. Frustrating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute Book, Excellent Customer Service, August 21, 2006
We also had a book that quit working after about a week...we replaced the FOUR batteries, only to find it was the book, not the batteries that needed to be replaced. I contacted the publisher, and we were sent a free replacement. We didn't even have to pay for shipping...customer service such as this is a rare find these days. The new book works perfectly so far. My son loves to read this every night before he goes to bed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, February 24, 2013
The text in the book is great.My grandchildren all love it, but of the 4 books I have ordered over the years only one moon actually lit up when I recieved it. The last one I ordered (and it will be the last one) didn't work and I had to buy 4 new batteries that cost $24 dollars for a $10 book. Never again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Leaking batteries---didn't work, November 2, 2009
I bought this book quite a long time ago for my (then) two-year-old because of developing fears of the dark. When it arrived, the batteries were not only dead, but leaking into the compartment. So, of course, the "moon" did not work.

I immediately looked for more batteries, but found them to cost as much as the book itself. I boxed it back up with the intention of sending it back to Amazon, but never got around to it. (I have four children.) Recently, I re-opened the book and gave it to my (now) three-year-old, but she's not interested.

Guess I will just buy the batteries and try it with my one-year-old. I just hope it works because of the leaking batteries. Make sure you check the batteries when you get this item!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor quality, but the story is cute, August 24, 2008
My son received this book as a gift. When the batteries died rather quickly, I replaced them. It takes four of the expensive little button batteries. The replacement batteries I put in didn't seem to last long either. I contacted the company who makes it, and they kindly sent me a replacement. Sadly, the second book didn't work any better than the first. I think the story and concept of the book are very cute. However, it is not fun for a four year old to know that it is supposed to light up but doesn't. I would not buy this product!

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute but not great story, June 18, 2007
teamstan (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
The story is ABOUT the book. Like "My favorite book is about the moon" and it shows a realistic image of the book being carried by the little boy. I find it weird, sort of a mirror in a mirror in a mirror type of existential issue. The moon is cute and my daughter loves to make it light up. But I wish the plot was about the MOON not the book itself.

The Moon In My Room (Night Light Books (Penton Overseas))
The Moon In My Room (Night Light Books (Penton Overseas)) by Annette Norris (Board book - February 1, 2009)
Used & New from: $0.01