Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Night Owl Pro Nexgen Night Vision Binocular (5x)
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on May 25, 2010
I was blown away at the hundreds of yards of view with these night vision binoculars! Unmatched, as I also own night vision monocular or single sight IR which can barely see 10 feet! I live next to a very large cranberry bog and watched a cayote, at 300 yards in complete darkness, walk along the far bank. Amazing
0Comment|134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2010
I just purchased these binocs from Amazon and before I received them I was fearful of what I ordered. I was more than pleasantly surprised by what I got. First, it took no time at all to get them(2 days!). Second, these things do exactly what they're supposed to do, let you see in the dark. We watched deer for hours in total darkness. It was a 3/4 moon and they gathered so much light, they did not have to be switched on! The infrared is also great! I watched mice running around a brush pile in pitch black. Well worth the money! I compared prices and this is in line with other sellers(better than most).
11 comment|118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon January 15, 2013
We were heading for South Africa and wanted a pair of night binoculars where I could see the animals at night. I was certainly not disappointed in the performance of these night vision binoculars. If you have been shopping for a set of night vision binoculars' you have already noticed how expensive they can be and may be thinking about opting for a single telescope type rather than binoculars.

These binoculars worked great in total darkness however we did notice that in even remote lighted areas your vision using the binoculars is greatly reduced. The key is the darker it is, the better vision we found. These are 5 power and while than may not seem like a lot we found it to be more than adequate. Most of out subjects were less that 50 feet and we got great views at that distance. You can stretch the distance some however the quality of the subject begins to lesson.

These are generation 1 type binocular and unless you have a source in the military for more advance types, these are as good as we have seen on the market for the price being charged. There is an adjustable focus on the top of the binoculars. The unit has two high quality generation 1 image intensifier tubs. The optics are all glass and the pair has a soft touch finish. There is a padded neck strap.

They are a little heavy, weighing in at 38 ounces, however we quickly brushed this aside as we could see wild animals in the bush. From the naked eye the animals could not be seen at all. The constriction of the binoculars appears to be very good. The company claims these binoculars to be the most advanced and most highly acclaimed night vision binoculars in the industry.

We have been well pleased with our purchased. As a side note we purchased 6 extra batteries on Amazon in the event the one battery died and we might not be able to locate the proper size battery in the wilds of Africa.
on January 6, 2015
Pretty clear. I watched a coyote at 80 yards without the IR illuminator. Couldn't see a lot of detail but could tell what it was. Worth the money.
review image review image
on February 27, 2012
I received these as a Christmas present from my wife. We live out in the sticks where there is very little light pollution. The regular night vision works great and I can see well up to 100 yards. With the IR turned on they work even better. I was able to spot the neighbor's dog at around 75 yards and it was like seeing in the daytime (without the night vision he was completely shrouded in darkness). The graininess of the green image can cause focus to be a little touchy, but patience and small adjustments bring great rewards. I was able to get a sharp focus on our mailbox at about 100 yards from the house.

These binocs also work great if you want to look at the stars, altough they are a little heavy to hold over your head for long periods of time. One improvement would be a tripod mount, but that is a small thing.

Outdoor lights on neighboring houses tend to light up the screen quite a bit, so I'm not sure how they would work in urban or suburban areas. However, they would be perfect for camping.

Overall, I thnk they are a great set of entry level NV binocs. They are exactly what I was hoping for.
on July 28, 2011
I've never owned any night vision product, but always wanted one. Decided on the binoculars for night viewing of animals. These binoculars are awesome. With some ambient light, you can see clearly for hundreds of yards. In complete darkness, the IR works great. I was not sure about generation one technology, put these are great for what I want them for.
on August 16, 2011
these binoculars really work well. i had purchased a monocular, with little magnification, and was displeased (returned it). this has enough magnification, but not too much (otherwise your field of view becomes very small and hard to focus). the "high beam" infrared is also real nice. we've been watching nocturnal animals from our second story window with clarity and ease.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 13, 2012
The Night Owl Pro Binocular is constructed of a hard plastic body with rubberized eyecups and end caps. Attached to the body is a set of rubber scope covers that close individually. Taking the unit as a whole package, it's a large set of binoculars. It's medium in weight compared to a set of conventional 10x40mm binoculars.

Operation is simple. Just press the power button, and an indicator light just under the eyepiece lights up. Under standard mode, it easily reach 50-75 yards. It does not allow the user to see through a glass window or door, however. The infrared function augments additional distances of approximately 100 yards, from where I was standing in the woods. Pushing the power button again, turns off the unit. Image quality is quite good, and there is surprisingly good detail that can be seen in very low light. City lights and lamp posts do not cause much scatter to interfere with the functionality. I do feel that the non-IR mode gives the best detail and a more vivid view. The IR, though helpful for distances, tends to wash out some detail.

As a curiousity, I peered into the sky, looking at constellations, and sensitivity of picking up more stars was enhanced. It's too bad, there wasn't more zoom to get a different field of view. By the way, it doesn't accommodate a tripod. Additionally, the focusing knob is somewhat counterintuitive for positioning. It is placed on the further end of the top of the body. It is a peculiar location when compared to a conventional set of binoculars. Lastly, the feel of the focusing knob is not as smooth as I would expect from a set of any binoculars. It sort of makes it feel very cheap, in construction.

However, for function, this gives me an excellent option for night vision. Overall, it is a great option at this price point. I thank the proceeding reviewers for providing an honest assessment to give me an informed decision.

I am very satisfied with this purchase. Two thumbs up.
on March 19, 2013
It's everything night owl says it is, love the wide field of view and great focusing. And the distance - FAR more than what it advertises ( great with full moon too). You remember, as your growing up and you say to yourself " one day when i grow up and can, i'm going to get me one of those," first night i used it i was hog hunting and "BAM" there it was-never saw it with the naked eye,over a hundred yard, great in the bush too.I know 400-500.00 is allot of money,but it(night owl) puts you in a hole new world.If you hunt,you wont regret them. Thanks Night Owl and Amazon.com Steve
on May 9, 2012
Was a little hesitant to buy these since my old night vision scope did not work very well. It took me a while to adjust them so I wasn't seeing double but they are amazing. They gather a ton of light and really turn night into day. So far I am very happy.

Updated June 23:

I guess I really never got these adjusted right because I was using them again tonight and couldn't adjust them so that I only saw one image. Gave them to my girlfriend (just in case it was me and not the product) and she saw double as well. Googled the problem and apparently it means that the binoculars are out of collimation. The website that told me that described how to fix the problem but there are no collimation screws accessible on this item. I am sending them back since I will never use a set of binoculars that makes me feel cross-eyed. Unfortunately I won't be getting all of my money back due to amazon's return policy. This problem was clearly present right out of the box and I just didn't know it was a problem until today.

By the way, the same website that I mentioned above also said that having your binoculars go out of collimation is common in cheaply made products. So, keep that in mind before you spend 400+ bucks on these. They seem to work well in terms of being a night vision product but they are probably cheaply made. Come to think of it, the last time I had this problem with a pair of binoculars they were a set that cost 20 bucks. Hmmm.....
44 comments|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse