4.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful follow up to "A Kiss To Remember"
Published on August 7, 2003 by tregatt

3.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, but not her best
Published on July 31, 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful follow up to "A Kiss To Remember", August 7, 2003
tregatt (Portland, Oregon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Night of Scandal (Avon Historical Romance) (Mass Market Paperback)
"One Night of Scandal" turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. When I read the first two chapters, my reaction was "oh wonderful, I've wasted my money on a novel about another immature, hoydenish heroine who manages to snare another unsuspecting hero by embroiling him in a scandal." But then I found myself spending the next few hours eagerly turning the pages and being really entertained -- "One Night of Scandal" had turned out to be a fortuitous buy.
Miss Carlotta (Lottie) Anne Fairleigh is about to attend her debut ball when she learns that the Murderous Marquess -- Hayden St. Clair, the Marquess of Oakleigh -- has been living next door for the past few days. (Oakleigh is supposed to have killed both his wife and his best friend when he found them in bed together). Surely slipping out before her ball starts in order to catch a glimpse of the man shouldn't land her in too much trouble? Except that it does. Before she can fully comprehend how things had gotten so dreadfully beyond her control, Lottie loses her "virginal" reputation when she's spied in the marquess's study and in his arms. Only marriage to Oakleigh can redeem her in Society's eyes, and so Lottie soon finds herself married to Oakleigh and bound for his estate in Cornwall (which is reputed to be haunted by Oakleigh's dead wife's ghost). It doesn't take Lottie very long to realise exactly what her true feelings for her remote and tortured husband are; unfortunately Lottie also realises that Oakleigh is still very much in love with his dead wife. Now Lottie must decide if she can compete with the memories of dead woman and get her husband to see her as a fully grown woman, eager for her husband's love and attention?
This is what I liked about "One Night of Scandal" -- Teresa Medeiros saves the novel from the usual fare about a feisty and somewhat immature heroine who finally wins her dour husband's love and devotion, by allowing Lottie to mature by increments (the Lottie at the beginning of the novel and the Lottie at the end of the novel are almost two different people); and by allowing for Lottie's hoydenish ways and her free and easy manners to actually help her overcome some of the problems she faces at her new home (as when she has to deal with her stepdaughter, Allegra). Something else I liked about this novel was the manner in which she portrayed Oakleigh by not making him into the usual dour, bad tempered autocratic male, but by literally portraying him as a man who is somewhat out of his depth, and who doesn't quite know how to handle his attention starved daughter, his new young wife, or his tortured memories of his dead wife.
Overall, the story was a rather good one that seemed at first to be part gothic novel, part ghost story, but which actually proved to be a slightly humourous and entertaining tale about a young woman who manages to heal the emotional wounds that her new family is suffering from, and who manages, ultimately, to find the love of a lifetime where she least expected to. All in all, "One Night of Scandal" proved to be a good 4 star read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful tale from a wonderful writer, June 29, 2004
I have many "favourite" authors in Romance. For intense, dark and deadly males, I go to Anne Stuart. If I want giggles till I hurt, I choose Lynsay Sands and Katie Macalister. If I hunger for Off-World adventures, I got Robin D. Owens and C.J. Barry, hot sexy vampires or futuristic drama look to a new voice Angela Knight. But if I want a near poetic faerytale that evokes the style of Victoria Holt, you can do no better than Teresa Medeiros. Ever since I read her Whisper of Roses, I have been a big fan.
One Night of Scandal is not really a Romance in today's mold. It's more of the old style gothic. The isolated manor in Cornwall, the brooding, too contained hero, the full of life wife he was forced to marry, hovering over them all is the ghost of the previous wife and the tile the hero now carries - the Murderous Marquee.

31-year-old Hayden St. Clair is content in his dark hell of memories, content to live away from the Ton and this narrow minds and vicious gossip, but he needs a governess for his 10-year-old daughter, so he is forced to go to London to seek one. Finding one is proving impossible, since the Ton feeds on the facts he was forced to kill his best friend in a duel, and later his wife took her own life by jumping off a cliff. Naturally, it's wondered if the Murderous Marquee did not lend his wife a helping hand.
Lotte Fairleigh, 21-year-old ward of a Duke, is facing her coming out party, but she cannot resist one last adventure until she is firmly planted on the marriage mart. The adventure is sneaking out a second-story window to dash across the lawn to the house next door. The Murderous Marquee is in residence there and it's said he will be leaving in the morning. This is her last chance for a peek of the man who has captured her imagination.
Hayden has just seen a good friend off, the friend hinting he was going to send a woman to him to break his boredom. When Lotte turns up peeking in his window, he mistakenly believes she is the woman. Their embrace is broken up by her guardian. The Duke is enraged and demands Hayden marry Lotte to save her reputation. Hayden assures him nothing happened between them but a kiss, and says he will never marry again, leaving the Duke to challenge him to a duel.
Lotte cannot permit her brother-in-law to risk his life, so she goes to Hayden and begs him to marry her. Hayden does, but not for the reasons Lotte believes. She is startled when she arrives at her new home to find Hayden has a 10-year-old daughter, a wild hellion who enjoys vexing her father. Lotte is hurt to learn Hayden married her only to have a suitable governess for his daughter, crushing the young woman's hope of making a good marriage.
The situation goes from bad to worse, as the child sets out to drive Lotte nuts. Only, Lotte, a hellion in her own right, knows all the tricks of the trade and pushes the girl to finally call a truce. Lotte makes strides with her stepdaughter, but her marriage only grows more distant.
No one can cover the fact there are screams in the night or that someone plays music in the music room when the door is locked. Lotte must unriddle the ghost stalking Hayden's hall and find happiness in the life she has made.
Medeiros beautiful proses are writing as you don't often see it these days. They are evocative and carry the reader along with humor and emotion. She is at peak form with One Night of Scandal. And being a cat lover, I adores the herd of kitty's that Lotte collects. Medeiros gives you super read with this heart warming tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, August 3, 2003
By A Customer
This book was funny, laced with sexual tension and a definate page-turner. Carlotta (Lottie) is known as a hellion until a final stunt gets her a reluctant husband. Now she is determined to be the perfect wife. Meanwhile, Hayden, her husband, is doing his best to ignore her and his building attraction for his new bride. He is tortured by his first wife and the life they led before she her mental disorder destroyed their family. Medeiros paints a picture of a family torn apart by bipolar disorder - undiagnosed and feared in this 19th century setting. With her usual talent Medeiros shows us the pain and suffering for all those affected by the disease. When Lottie is able to help Hayden and his daughter deal with the loss of their loved one, they are able to let her into their hearts. Which is good because Lottie has loved them since the beginning.
Overall, this was an excellent story, well written with great characters. I now have to go back and read all of Medeiros' books! You won't be disappointed with this one - pick it up!

3.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, but not her best, July 31, 2003
By A Customer
I would actually give this a book a 3.5 because I read it in one day, so it held my interest, but there were several things which did ultimately detract from my overal enjoyment of the book. Also, I'm comparing it to the standard that Ms. Medeiros has shown herself capable of in earlier works. I did like the hero and the heroine. Their interactions were fun, flirty, and laced with sexual tension. I felt that Lottie stayed true to her character as she was initially portrayed in A Kiss to Remember. When Hayden wasn't busy being dark and tortured and staying away from anyhing that could ever bring him happiness, he seemed like someone that would attract Lottie. I just felt they didn't spend enough time with each other, particularly in that they were living in the same house for most of the book. I prefer romances built on the interaction between the hero and the heroine, where as in this case it seemed Lottie had to overcome a lot of other exterior obstacles which did not require her personal involvement with Hayden. I also felt that Ms. Medeiros borrowed from some of her other works to pull this book together, notably The Fairest of Them All (ghost haunting the relationship) and Charming the Prince (winning over the daughter.) While I enjoyed this book, I just feel it fell short of the kind of writing seen in Heather and Velvet or A Whisper of Roses. I think I'm going to reread one of those to remind myself of the greatness Ms. Medeiros has shown in the past.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joyous and Entertaining, May 31, 2004
Teresa Medeiros never fails to deliver! She is only one of a very few authors who never fails to make me chuckle out loud and when I come to the end of her stories, I'm grinning like a loon. This was such an enjoyable and entertaining read, with such lovable characters. Hayden is one of those tortured heroes that you can't help but fall madly in love with and Lottie is so deft at healing his and his daughter, Allegra's, broken heart and tattered soul. They will stick with me for a long time afterward.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not A Kiss to Remember. . but still good, June 23, 2005
Arpazia (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I was so incredibly excited to get my hands on One Night of Scandal after having read A Kiss to Remember--which is, by the way, one of my favorite romance novels of all time. The novel (which, like one reviewer has already stated, is more of a companion than a sequel to the first) started out brilliantly. Lottie's fall from grace and the disastrous results that ensue, as well as the reintroduction of familiar, loveable characters seemed too delicious to be true, but I must say, once she is borne off to the "end of creation" (Cornwall), the story's pacing seriously slows. Allegra and the whole ghost-story-dead-wife-gone-insane intrigue is tolerable, but there isn't any excuse for the lack of romance and character development between Hayden and Lottie. I mean, if you really think about it, the novel was mostly from Lottie's point of view, and even when you've reached the end of the story, you still feel as if Hayden is a perfect stranger. You don't quite sympathize with him like you did for Sterling in AKtR; you don't indentify with his mysteriousness and brooding; the sporatic conversations between him and Lottie are strangely empty and out of place, and the passionate groping somehow sprung up out of nowhere. In AKtR, there was no way in avoiding the sex that occured between two characters who were perfectly obsessed with each other, whereas, the sex in ONoS could almost have been deemed unnecessary. However, I found many positive things in this novel, such as the sweet mother-daughter relationship between Lottie and Allegra, even if it did take away a little (okay, alot) of the romance, as well as other heartfelt, humorous moments. I also thought it had a powerful ending that struck a chord, so I suppose you could say it was the beginning and ending that mostly made this book for me. I finished it with a smile on my face. Though the steaminess doesn't come even close to the first book, and the story lags in places when it easily couldn't have, I recommend this to any fan of Teresa Medeiros (God bless this woman), especially if you enjoyed reading AKtR.

BTW, did anyone else catch the historical inaccuracy in which Beethoven is made out to already have died? The story takes place in 1825; Beethoven didn't die until 1827. ^_^

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It !!!!, October 11, 2003
M. Rondeau (West Springfield, MA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Setting - London 1825 --- Carlotta "Lottie" Fairleigh at the ripe age of 21 is finally, to have her debut ball. Minutes before the first guest would be arriving she and her best friend Harriett, are lamenting the fact that her hoyden days where she was well known as the "Hertforshire Hellion" were fast coming to an end. Innocently, Harriet had just given her incentive for one last adventure before having to behave and act like a lady for the rest of her days. Right next door,and over the garden wall sat the rented home of Hayden St. Clair, scandalously dubbed the "Murderous Marquess". Dreaming of one day becoming a famous author, she couldn't possibly miss her one chance to see, such a scandalous man, and give her ideas for a future villain in her fiction. After all he'd killed his best friend in a duel and then he wife had such an unfortunate and fatal `accident'.
Hayden had vowed to never marry again, had come to London for only one reason, to find a woman. What he was not looking for was to have himself and the little blonde trespasser compromised. In spite of Hayden's refusal to wed her, Lottie, realizing that her latest escapade had ruined her, and not wanting to see harm come to her brother-in-law who would be honor bound to fight a duel, snuck off and managed to convince Hayden to save her from ruin. Reluctantly, Hayden agrees to marry her then whisks her off to his remote Cornwell estate where ghostly apparitions, purported to be of his first wife, haunt the halls and himself.
Settling in and doing her best to keep up her own spirits from the disregard Hayden shows her, Lottie, in her own indubitable way, wins the favor, and acceptance of the daughter he neglected to tell her about and his staff. However, what Lottie most wanted was to win both his regard and his love, as she came to realize that the tortured man who was now her husband was also the man she was falling in love with.
This engaging novel has humor, mystery, tenderness and a bit of a gothic-underlying theme. Lottie, is an extremely likeable and very courageous heroine. She has her work cut out for her as she battles to break through her husbands reserve to find the open and friendly man his best friend described to her as the man he once was. I found it to be a very fast read with twists and turns that had me hating to put the book down. Most of all, and contrary to other reviewers comments, I found the ghost theme central and key in this story which rather than turn me off thoroughly enchanted me. Teresa Medeiros has again provided a thoroughly enjoyable, tender, and fun tale that will give pleasure to a multitude of her fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars A new direction for Medeiros, December 11, 2003
Laura Bellamy (Greensboro, NC United States) - See all my reviews
As an avid fan of Teresa Medeiros's work, I was eagerly anticipating her latest release. When I finally managed to pick it up, I was very surprised to realize that it was, not a sequel exactly, but more of a companion to another one of her books -- as a matter of fact, my favorite book she's ever written, "A Kiss To Remember."
While "A Kiss To Remember" told the exquisite story of Laura Fairleigh and Sterling, the Devil of Devonbrooke, this story stars Laura's rambunctious and mischievously insatiable little sister, Lottie. Having never seen her write any kind of a sequel before, this intrigued me.
It was as charming a novel as I have come to expect from Teresa Medeiros. Perhaps not quite as fabulous as the original story, but certainly worth the read. I can't wait to read Medeiros's NEXT book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great and fitting sequel to A KISS TO REMEMBER, August 7, 2003
By A Customer
Remember mischievious Lottie from A KISS TO REMEMBER? Well, Teresa Medeiros made her the heroine of ONE NIGHT OF SCANDAL, and I'm so thrilled she did! Hayden is a great hero for her, and Teresa works her special magic on their love story. I laughed and I cried. I've waited a long time for another Teresa Medeiros book, and this one proved worth the wait. She's my favorite author. I can't wait for the next one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good!!, August 1, 2003
I am a big fan of Teresa Medeiros' books and when I heard of a sequel to "A Kiss to Remember", I had to go out and buy it when it hit the stores. Although I read it in a few hours, I thought it would have had a different plot and ending, but I still love it like I do all of her other books. The main thing that annoyed me about the book was that Hayden was still kinda stuck on his dead wife while Lottie was trying so hard to make him love her. She even made his daughter like her. I loved that Lottie's personality hadn't changed from "A Kiss to Remember" because if it had, the book would have turned out dull. All in all, I think that fans will be pleased with her latest book as I was and if they haven't, they should read all of her others.

One Night of Scandal (Avon Historical Romance)
One Night of Scandal (Avon Historical Romance) by Teresa Medeiros (Mass Market Paperback - July 29, 2003)
$7.99 $7.19