Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 16, 2003
I was in a library one day just looking for a book to read. I came accross a small booked squished between works of great literature and upon feeling sorry for the little book I rescued it from being suffocated. The cover caught my eye as it looked like an old ghost story type book so I brought it home to give it a try and forgot all about it. Two days before it was due to go home the library I was feeling very bored so I picked up the book and cautiously turned the first page half expecting dust worms to fall out, as it had been in the library for about twenty years. Dust mites didn't fall out of it, but what did, was one of the best written and imaginative stories I have ever read and shall intend to read again when I get it from ebay. Now I am not a housewife or a pensioner. I am a modern 18 year old working class girl, but I can still enjoy the great reads of the world and appreciate the imagination and work that went into this book. If you wish to discuss this book with me, please email me at Louise_hob@hotmail.com. One day I am going to be a film maker and I might make it into a motion picture - someday!
on March 18, 2004
This book is a real love, adventure, and mystery story. I have loved this book sense I first read it and I read it at least once a year. If you're one of the people who are picky about what to read and you have many different tastes this is a book that you can read and love.
It has a wonderful plot and a well written one to, it's set in Prussia and in England. It's really hard to explain this book when there are so many things going on (although when it's going on you don't get confused like other books of this time) Murder, Passion, True love, and many rememberable people that you'll fall in love with over and over again. From England, to her mother's home land, to the arms of a hansome Prince not wanting to be known.
It's a beautiful book and I would say that if you read this you'll be very pleased. Hope you like it!
on December 13, 2010
A wonderful author - Victoria Holt (also penned many wonderful works as Philippa Carr and Jean Plaidy) - is an author you can't get enough of. This romance takes the reader back in time, is historically correct and no other author can tell a story quite this way. I really hope to see more of this author's work available in Kindle format. Although this wonderful author died tragically several years ago, I do hope her books become available in Kindle format in the future for those of use who love these works so.
on July 2, 2006
This is one of my favorite Victoria Holt books. It's romantic, there's intrigue, lies, allies, spies, murder plots, a villain, a hero, and everything in between, using the Black Forest and the mythological characters that the heroine and at times, damsel in distress, Helena Trant, grew up with as a back drop. The forests were in her blood and wasn't afraid when she got lost in the mist.

And here comes a hero to literally sweep her off her feet. A man of many and mysterious identities.

These two discover what Shakespeare knew all along: "The course of true love never did run smoothly".

Both are lied to and deceived by people they thought they could trust, and ironically, some of those same people bring them together again.

No one weaves a story like Victoria Holt. As far as I'm concerned, she only has two worthy peers: Phyllis A. Whitney and Mary Stewart.

If you want to be taken to another place and time, and believe in love and fairy tales, this is the book for you.
on November 14, 2011
I love this book! The first time I read it was in high school, I needed a break from the 'required' reading books that I thought were just trash and I absolutely fell in love with Victoria Holt and her writing! I have re-read this book so many times I can't say how many. This is my favorite, I am finding it harder and harder to find good books that don't have a bunch of sexual graphic material and find myself returning more and more to her books, I appreciate what other Victoria Holt fans say about her books, it is a big help to me. Keep'em coming
VINE VOICEon July 13, 2011
I loved this book when I read it at age 14 and I love it now at age 45!
Young, innocent heroine.
Darkly mysterious hero.
The scene in the hunting lodge gives me shivers to read even now- this is pure romantic seduction with no icky graphic details.
I am so grateful to have this in my Kindle collection.
on March 31, 2010
I have read many of Victoria Holt's books and I have never been disappointed with her stories. They take you back in time and this particular book does just that. It will keep you interested!
on November 27, 2008
I first read this book probably fifteen years ago. It has been my favorite Victoria Holt book ever since--and yes, I have read all 32 books she penned under that name. To tell anything about this would be to give too much away so I'll just say this: The romance was breathtaking; the action was, in a way, believable; and the intrigue was shocking. For those of you who need a basic description, here's what the back of the book says:

On the Night of the Seventh Moon, according to ancient Black Forest legend, Loke, the God of Mischief, was abroad in the world. It was a night for festivity and joyful celebration. It was a night for singing and dancing. And it was a night for love.

Helena Trant was enchanted by everything she found in the Black Forest--its people, its mysterious castles, its legends and lore. Especially its legends of love.

Until, one day, she started to live one of them and the enchantment turned suddenly into a terrifying nightmare....
This is my absolute favorite novel by Victoria Holt. I cannot praise it any more than anyone else has.

But I must correct the amazon description of "However, Holt creates elaborate characters and sets the narrative in the fabled and romantic Black Forest of the Austro-Hungarian Empire at the time of the Napoleonic Wars."

The book is set in the Black Forest, yes, but the Black Forest is in Germany(and technically was in Bavaria, which was a kingdom within the German Empire after the unification of 1870), and the book was set in the Victoria era.
on April 22, 2013
I first read this book as a 17 year old boarding student at an all girls school taught by nuns, so it was a perfect plot for me to get immersed in. Now as a 38 year old mother I can still enjoy the imagery and romance with the deeper and richer understanding and appreciation that a full life experience can provide. The story bounces back and forth between stuffy stiff upper lip Oxford, England and the fantastical and mysterious Bavarian Schwartzwald with its charming mideval villages, majestic mountain schlosses and rich mythological heritage. Ocassionally I find the author getting a tad bit stuck in obvious German cliches....a little too much mention of sour kraut and beer for example. I find it hard to imagine a romantic setting permiated with the overpoweringly pungent odor of stewed sour cabbage and caraway both while its on the table and after when it has nuked the digestive track. However, all considered, not a literary masterpiece but an enchanting tale laden with suspence, charm, romance, and a true to life hero straight out of a German fairytale. Enjoy!