Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Night Sky, Southern Hemisphere (Large) Star Finder
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Map|Change

on October 29, 2008
If you have the chance to travel in equatorial Africa, as I just did this spring and summer, you'll want to check out the different constellations visible from the Southern Hemisphere. What you'll find is that a planisphere (which is light, easy to pack and can be simple to use) for that area is incredibly hard to find.

This one is decent sized and easy to read in good to fair light, but when it is quite dark, like on the Serengeti at night, you'll need a red light to maintain your night vision. If you are from the Northern Hemisphere you can find tons of planisphere for a wide variety of latitudes, but if you travel to the south, snap this gem up & pack in in your bag. The skies are clearer and stars brighter so you can really enjoy them and easily pick out great constellations like the Southern Cross.
on January 4, 2007
Almost all such products are designed for the Northern Hemisphere, as this is where most amateur astronomers are. But here is a planisphere for the Southern Hemisphere which I have found to be very useful indeed. It is large, uncluttered and easy to read using a red flashlight.
on December 23, 2010
As a Canadian amateur astronomer, I needed something to help me navigate the unfamiliar night skies of the southern hemisphere on my trip to Australia. I was traveling carry-on only, and backpacking all the way, so I needed something small and light. This planesphere fit the bill.

It fit easily in my pocket. It helped me plan my observing sessions and learn the southern constellations while I was on the airplane. And with the help of a red light (to preserve my dark adaptation) I could use it under the dark skies of the Australian outback.

It's small size is a trade off. A larger planisphere can show more detail, such as the location of individual deep sky objects. This can be helpful when observing. But a large planesphere may be too big for travel, and it still can not show as much detail as a chart book.

A planesphere is easy to use. You just dial in the date and time, and you have a map of the sky. On one side is the map to the south. On the other side is a map to the north.

This planisphere will help both casual stargazers and experienced astronomers to navigate night sky from the southern hemisphere. To preserve your eye's dark adaptation at night, I also recommend a red light so you can see better in the dark.
on June 18, 2014
Since I live in the Southern Hemisphere where lots of stars are different but very visible at night (due to no lights around) I love this nice simple to carry, complete Star Finder. It is well worth it. I have the Northern one as well, but can only use it in the country....It is still wonderful.
on June 22, 2015
Easy to use and gives a lot more detail than can be seen in the light polluted sky of a city environment. Portable and the laminated surface makes this a great aid for a field trip to the country for night sky viewing of the southern hemisphere sky.
on February 28, 2013
We are planning a trip south of the equator to, amongst other things, do some star gazing. Finding planispheres for the southern skies is very difficult. These are well made from water (dew!) resistant plastic. Easy to read and use. The only down side is the latitude for which the stars were plotted is not indicated on the chart that we could see. But it is easy enough to guess that it was around 45 degrees south.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 4, 2013
One thing that may have been useful from the seller is to mark it DO NOT FOLD! as it came bent badly and has been in the bookcase so as to straighten it. works fine, have not used it as I live in the Northern Hemisphere
on October 3, 2010
The large size made this easy to see and use. Recommend having a red flashlight to go with it. Wish there was one with southern hemisphere on one side and northern hemisphere on the other. Nonetheless, it worked well during a recent trip to Peru and will take it with me whenever I travel south of the equator.
on March 14, 2013
I have one of these for the northern hemisphere and like it very much. I use it to find constellations in the night sky on and around the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC. I am going to Tanzania on safari this summer which is below the equator and will use my Southern Hemisphere star finder to find constellations like the southern cross and the Magellan Ort Clouds.
on April 27, 2016
I like all The Night Sky Planispheres. They are very helpful when you are trying to find constellations in the sky. The Southern Hemisphere didn't come with a plastic sleeve like the northern one, but since the Planisphere is also made of plastic, it is pretty sturdy.