Nightmare (Nightingale)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$11.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 30, 2011
Format: Hardcover
Jack Nightingale is single, 33 years old and haunted by memories of the death of Sophie Underwood, a nine year old girl he watched throw herself from a balcony two years before. He is an ex cop who now works as a private detective but people close to him seem to have a nasty habit of either killing themselves or being killed.

Superintendent Ronald Chalmers used to work with Jack and seems to want to have him in the frame for any and all crimes imaginable including the shooting of a Brixton gangster. Chalmers' sidekick, Inspector Dan Evans, is more supportive of Jack although Dan lives in a world where crimes are solved by examining physical evidence and questioning suspects - unlike Jack who is drawn into the world of the supernatural.

Stephen Leather is truly a master at skillfully weaving an excellent tale; I find Jack Nightingale to be a very credible and likeable character whose exploits I enjoy following. The author's talent at producing fully rounded central characters is second to none - I rapidly became so engrossed in the story I was even standing reading while trying to cook, so much was my reluctance to put the book down!

I am not generally a great lover of occult type books but feel this series provides more of a compelling thriller type read and as I live in a house that is 200 years old, it certainly came across to me as being quite plausible and extraordinarily thought provoking.

I sincerely hope there will be more books in this series, as I would love to see where the author takes the central characters to now. So far this is the third full length book but there is also a short story to whet your appetite.

Try it with an open mind and I don't think you'll be disappointed!
VINE VOICEon February 11, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
In Nightfall (Nightingale: Book One), private detective Jack Nightingale had to save his own soul from the devil. In Midnight, Jack's mission was to save the soul of the half-sister he never knew he had. After those two adventures, Jack may have earned a rest, but he isn't getting any.

Now, an abused 9-year-old girl is begging for his help. The girl, Sophie Underwood, just happens to be dead, and she only speaks to him though random people he meets: the owner of his favorite Chinese restaurant, a brain-dead drug dealer, passersby on the sidewalk, and lots of others. And Sophie isn't just any dead 9-year-old child; it was Jack's failure to prevent her suicide and the subsequent death of her father while in Jack's care that led to the end of Jack's career as a police negotiator.

"Nightmare" is much like the earlier books in the series. Bad things happen to Jack and he flounders around trying to figure out who's out to get him and why. He smokes too much, drinks too much, complains too much, manipulates old colleagues into risking their jobs for his sake, and takes his long-suffering assistant Jenny completely for granted. He also tangles with devils, demons, big bad Satanists, nice amateur Satanists, evil books, construction contractors, and disembodied spirits. As in the earlier books, readers are left uncertain whether Jack is a lovable screw-up with just the right mix of recklessness, bravado, and heart or a self-absorbed jerk, oblivious to how badly his reckless behavior is hurting the people around him. When Jack and Jenny exchange witty repartee over Jack's horribly unreliable MGB, he seems like a sweet slacker trying to make the best of a bad situation; when he repeatedly encourages his diabetic buddy to drink and smoke, he's the "devil" the buddy accuses him of being.

Where "Nightmare" departs from precedent is in the body count and in the sense of impending doom. In the first two books, and especially in "Nightfall," half the people Jack tried to get information from killed themselves before they could tell him anything. Thankfully, that's not the case in "Nightmare"; the fatality rate is still high, but Jack is no longer a harbinger of death. On the other hand, Jack's mission to save Sophie is less viscerally urgent than his need to save himself in the first book and his sister in the second. Jack's indecisive foot dragging over Sophie -- it takes him forever to get in contact with someone who might be able to help -- and a number of subplots, including a murder investigation that is only tangentially related to Jack's problems, do little to help maintain the tension.

By the book's final chapters, however, events begin accelerating towards what seems certain to be a colossal, catastrophic train wreck. Without giving any details away, I'd say that Leather wraps up the series (sort of -- see below) with a bang that is every bit as big and bad as we're led to expect ... And yet, it is nowhere near as extreme -- or as conclusive -- as it first seems. It's tough not to feel both satisfied and cheated at the same time.

Bottom line: The third volume in the Nightingale series is less bloody and less focused than the first two books, but it is cut from the same cloth, with all of the good and bad things that implies. Fans of this slightly unhinged horror series should not hesitate to pick up a copy.

P.S. Stephen Leather recently announced online that although he originally intended to write only three books in this series, he has accepted a contract to write two more and is open to keeping the series going beyond that.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 4, 2013
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
This was my first venture into Stephen Leather's world. I began the trilogy by checking out Nightfall (Book #1) from the Kindle Lending Library, just to see what it was like. Free so couldn't very well go wrong except that I HATE to read bad books, I don't care how FREE they are. I was so impressed with Jack Nightingale, I then bought Midnight and Nightmare. I rarely give a 5 star rating to a book, not unless it knocks me over and this series did. And it isn't even my genre! I'm still sitting here with my mouth hanging open at the final twist. I'll be checking into other books by Mr. Leather in the very near future.
Format: Hardcover
This is the third installment of the Jack Nightingale series, and once again, our hero is jumping head first into situations he knows absolutely nothing about. I believe that this should not be read without reading the first two, as you need to know how Nightingale's thought processes (or lack thereof) work, and what drives him to pursue the supernatural.

In the first book, he has to save his own soul, in the second, his sister's, and now it's a whole new ballgame when the ghost of a little girl keeps begging him for help. In the first book, he fails to stop the girl from jumping/falling to her death in a successful suicide attempt, a failure which has haunted him from that point onwards.

The usual characters (dead, living and otherwise) are back in book three, which sees Nightingale negotiating with a powerful secret organization and some even more powerful supernatural beings, while facing his own personal demons and trying to stay out of prison courtesy of the police force.

At a first, second or third glance, Nightingale seems to be completely mad, but by the end you realize that he's as crazy as a fox.

Amanda Richards, April 19, 2012
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I guessed the ending after reading the first two books, but was still pleased to get the finale and see it through. There were resolutions that could have been really stunning, so in a way this was a bit of a letdown, but overall I found the series wrap-up to be a very good read. The possibilities I thought of would have made the story arc much heavier and perhaps too philosophical. In the first book, Jack Nightingale witnesses the suicide of a young girl. He gets caught up in a series of supernatural events as his life apparently spins out of control. In the second book, these events continue, but just as he thinks he can get back to real life, that little girl returns to haunt him - literally. His final adventure is to see if there is some way to save her, even from beyond the grave. I don't have strong feelings for the protagonist; in the first book, he appeared to be a slacker with a blunted affect. In the second book, he began to develop in a more appealing way, but still wasn't anyone I really cared about. I can't say that he gets better in the third book, but it's a very interesting story and does have a fair amount of suspense. Towards the end, the pace and plot get rather dizzying, but overall I thought it was a fitting conclusion to the series. There is a slight sense of open-endedness, but I'd rather not see the series continue, because the characters didn't hold me. The story arc did, and that is over.
on December 30, 2011
Format: Hardcover
I had not read Stephen Leather's first two Nightingale books (this is the third in a series of Jack Nightingale PI), so was temporarily at a disadvantage. I must also admit that I missed the very obvious reference to the word "supernatural" when reading the brief outline in selecting to read this book. I probably would not have chosen this if I had read the back cover properly but I was in a hurry and wanted something new to read. Starting from the seeming disadvantage of not knowing the "hero", I was quickly brought up to speed by the author who managed to throw in enough background so you could comprehend the storyline.

This can be read as a one-off and thoroughly enjoyed; as I began to after only a few pages. If you are looking for a good thriller then don't let the word 'supernatural' affect your choice in this one. It actually works very well and serves to enhance the usual plotlines found in an everyday thrillers. It certainly has the effect of giving a whole new dimension to detection (literally) and provides a great read.

Jack Nightingale is a rather depressed individual - follwing his failed attempt to prevent a young girl from commiting suicide. His life is haunted by his own past and an inheritance from a father he did not know. Cheered along by his assistant, Jenny he faces the persistance of the police who believe him to have committed at least one major crime and confronts gang warfare in South London. Faced with competing satanists, he is unsure of what to do or who to believe in or the help he can expect. This is certainly a great thriller with a demonic twist and a delightful fun read. (Great for travel reading)Nightmare (Jack Nightingale 3)
on January 7, 2012
Format: Hardcover
Having had the chance to read this already I found it to be yet another brilliant read.
The first thing I'd say is it really helps to have read the first 2 books in the series so you can understand all the references to what is happening in this book.
As all of stephen leathers other books it is well researched and in my opinion well written.
I have a law background so am well positioned to say all the police references and procedures are spot on.
Though I know some people thought they had worked out the ending I have to say I didn't see it coming!

Well researched, well written, definitely keeps your attention and makes you carry on reading and then want to come back when you put it down!
Buy it, read it and I'm sure youll be buying every other book he's ever written!
on October 23, 2014
Format: Kindle Edition
LOVED this series! This is why I love the Kindle Unlimited. I find these new authors that I never would have purchased otherwise and find that I love them! It's awesome because if it's dull, I haven't lost anything. But you can be sure that I'll be buying anything else in this series, which I hope never ends!

I read this entire series in about a week. So interesting, creepy, mysterious, and well written! As an American, I did have trouble with some of the British words, but it wasn't nearly as bad as some other authors I've read. The Kindle was helpful probably 70% of the time in figuring out what the words meant.
on December 7, 2014
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I'm working my way through this series, and can honestly say that I have never been bored. There have been many heart-stopping moments of a terror that cannot possibly be real in my world......or can it? Call it good versus evil if you will, dark versus light, Heaven or He'll; it all comes down to decisions made and remade. BTW, the demon summoning words aren't real. But do not try this at home!
on May 20, 2014
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
Loved all 3 books! Really fast reads. Would definitely recommend these books. They were more different than anything else I have read.