Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Format: DVD|Change

on January 13, 2009
This is a real tear-jerker. The acting is fantastic and the emotions seem very real. The story line is well-considered, but it is definitely not the typical love story. The best way to describe this film is that it just feels real. You could imagine the characters being pulled off the screen and placed in the "real world" without any problem. I would definitely recommend Nights in Rodanthe to those who like a good love story with plenty of drama.
on January 4, 2009
Note: For those who haven't read the book or seen the film, spoilers appear below.

"Chick lit" becomes "chick flick" as author Nicholas Sparks gets another makeover by Hollywood. I've read none of Sparks' works, but my better half and I have seen all three film versions of his modern-day tearjerkers: "Message In a Bottle", "The Notebook" and now, "Nights in Rodanthe." This one has all the predictable elements for this genre, but the acting by the leads (especially Lane) is solid and the scenery is phenomenal, the film having been shot around North Carolina's Cape Hatteras and on Ocracoke and Cedar Islands, all of which helps make a fairly mundane story more compelling. (I've been up and down the Outer Banks at least six times during my life, and that was much of the draw of seeing this film, especially at mid-winter.)

Of special note is the performance put in by veteran actor Scott Glenn, playing a widower waiting for an apology from the Raleigh surgeon played by Gere. Glenn, who left Hollywood earlier in his career to hang out in Idaho and earn his keep in blue-collar jobs, got the hang of the local dialect in "Nights" by hanging with a crabber and generally melting into the neighborhood. The craggy-faced Glenn owns his scenes with Gere, not only through pitch-perfect dialect but also with an understated yet stinging "nuts to you, you don't get it" attitude. When Gere's character finally visits the widower's cottage, Glenn steals the camera lock, stock and barrel. There's an acting award here somewhere, at least in my book.

Cinematically, the only fault one might find with "Nights" comes at the end. Rather than close "Nights" with the spirited shots of Lane on the beach, mesmerized by a rare migration of the wild ponies that ordinarily confine themselves to the Virginia-Carolina border, the decision was made to tack on a wide shot of key characters peering out from a boardwalk - an unnecessary, even hackneyed action that drained some of the momentum from the film in its final moments.

"Nights in Rodanthe" isn't rocket science, but it's pretty to look at, the acting is more than workmanlike, and everyone loves a love story, right? Four stars for the film, five for Scott Glenn's performance.
on September 18, 2011
I love Diane Lane and Richard Gere is always a wonderful actor. It took me a few years to finally see this one and glad I did. Its also wonderful to see leads for actor/ess that are over forty... being over forty myself...yes we still have a love life and wishes and hope for things. That movie brought it all out. As another viewer stated..it was very real and I really enjoyed this movie..both ups and downs.
A good movie to see and now I pine for the the ocean front since most of the movie was a beach house. Sighs* a great movie indeed~
Now I'm not usually the type of guy to go in for these mushy
type of films, but I must say that "Nights In Rodanthe"
made me feel it whole-heartedly and took me on a very warm
and romantic journey about life, love, fate and all of it's
fragile complexities. This is perfect as a date movie with
the one you love or when you just want to spend a reflective
evening with a glass of wine just getting reconnected
to your humanity! Both Richard Gere and Diane Lane turn
in multi-layered performances as two star-crossed people
who are both at a crossroads in their lives and who meet,
by chance & fate, to complete each other and share in a rare
perfect moment in time that lasts over the course of a
long weekend of bliss at a bed & breakfast in a coastal
North Carolina town, (Rodanthe) which changes them both for the better.

Then, just when you think it's going one way, fate intercedes
again for an unexpected twist that adds even more depth and bittersweetness to this tale.
This movie is like one of those old technicolor 1950's
romantic dramas but with a modern spin.
Viola Davis and Chris Meloni both turn in good supporting
roles as well as the other cast members.
I must admit it though, I really enjoyed this movie!
on June 11, 2011
People are slamming this romantic drama for being too predictable and sappy. Well, they are right in one sense, but wrong in another. Yes, the film is predictable, but it isn't about the predictability but how characters deal with certain unpredictable things in life. Sappy? Yes, but, again, this deals with certain feelings, provoked and unprovoked, that lay dormant in all of us.

There was some unnecessary melodramatic acting about midway through that kind of put me off (hence the 4 stars), but the rest was good. I can see where people were put off by this melodrama, because I was a bit turned off by the over-dramatic acting about midway through, but I feel the story had a lot of depth.

There are a range of emotions in this film, from love to bitterness, from anger to forgiveness. There are things in life that will always take us by surprise, and none more so than falling in love with someone then they die before you really have the chance to get to know them. I know from my own experience in life. This film hit close to home with me. Yes, I have had something very similar to this happen to me, so it was something I could relate to on a personal level. I met someone one night at a party after work, and it was mutual that we liked each other, and planned on doing something the next evening. He died in a car wreck on the way home, and I was the last person to see him alive. Something I never got closure on...

I, too, saw the outcome of this coming; but I didn't see the way a certain character was gonna deal with the end result. Fabulous performances all across the board: Richard Gere, Diane Lane, Scott Glenn, and Pablo Schreiber all give top-notch performances in this, some roles larger than others; but all important to the overall story.

I wanted to see this when it came out because of Gere and Lane, but normally I don't fall for that 'hey they were in that and now they're in this' fad; but those two, well, that`s an exception to the rule that I`ll break gladly. Anyways, I was really impressed with this. Even if the story didn't hit close to home with everybody, I still feel it was a really good film.

Critics ravaged this upon release, but luckily I ignored them; and I am so glad I did!
Awesome direction, acting, and some breath taking scenery make this a very pleasant viewing experience. This is on the same par as the two previous films Gere and Lane did together, Francis Coppolla'a "The Cotton Club" (1984) and Adrian Lynne's "Unfaithful" (2002).

Basic plot: A divorced woman (Lane) meets a single doctor (Gere) while he is on vacation to deal with a grieving father (Glenn) and son (Schreiber). The two fall in love and the rest is, well, for you to see and find out for yourself. Highly recommended!
Thank you. ;o)
77 comments|3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 13, 2015
I wish I could say to Nicholas Sparks, "You should be ashamed of yourself, making me ball like that!" Talk about yanking at the heart strings, with this story he tears the heart right out of the chest and stomps on it on the ground. To be fair to the author, I haven't read the book, but I imagine it is just as heart-wrenching as this love story that blindsides you... I just didn't see it coming, what happened, but won't say more in case you do not know the story yet. I thought I was signed up for a nice, light-hearted romantic comedy. Then again, this is a Nicholas Sparks story, so that was not the smartest assumption on my part. I do love most of Nicholas Sparks' works. Although this was well acted, I regretted watching it, feeling emotional and weepy the rest of the weekend. Real life is painful enough. If you are not sentimental, you probably will be fine without feeling too emotional and crying if you choose to watch the film.
on March 18, 2016
I own this movie...bought it on Amazon Prime. I love the characters. The movie was really hard for me at the end though. I would have liked a happy ending. I think it is important to leave people with a good feeling, not a feeling of emptiness and loss.
on March 29, 2015
Nice vehicle for the stars, but I felt the story line was predictable and weak, even a bit sappy for my taste. I watched it because it was mentioned in the context of an Atlantic article on global warming and its impacts on the Outer Banks. But I felt the storm scenes, etc. were melodramatic and "overblown." Yes, I've weathered big storms in real life, too. I do love Diane Lane, though; watch her in Under the Tuscan Sun instead!
on August 2, 2013
Magnificent sea vies. Very romantic-- but sad. Still a good movie love the beach house Serendipity and also the shell curtains and iron swinging doors would LOVE to own a house like this right on the beach!!!!!
on October 19, 2014
Older individuals who "wake up" one day and realize that the essence of what makes them individuals is in a coma. The movie is a story of two such people whose life paths cross on a beach front property. Each has to have the courage to admit what has happened to them, and decide what actions to take. On the surface I would consider this a "chick-flick" but it was as applicable to me in terms of life changes, and life can indeed begin at 60.