Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers Book 1)
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

VINE VOICEon December 11, 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm not a big reader of Military Thrillers as a steady diet, but that said, I never miss a new Bob Mayer novel. Lots has been said about his taut action pacing, authentic conversant style and technical research. No question that all of that works, but about halfway into Nightstalkers I asked myself what holds me in his work, and it is the un-erring humanity of his characters and their interactions. Every writer in the genre knows how to display team connections and the amazing skill that special ops teams especially, develop from their mutual trust. Bob Mayer goes the extra step, though. He lets the reader in on why each character is drawn to their service, why it helps them on a personal level. Their flaws and their fears are riveting, honest and connect me to the story better than the character familiarity some writers cultivate.

To a degree I haven't found in many other thriller writer's work, with the exception of John LeCarre, he fleshes out all his characters with real feelings and real lives. He also has an engaging sense of humor throughout some of the most imagination-probing action I've yet read. I also like the fact that he has a sense of freedom when it comes to the plot and with working scenes and new unexpected characters into the mix.

This book is a blend of traditional military thriller and scifi and it works. There are no cardboard figures here, so pay attention. I recommend it for anyone who needs an absorbing, exciting read that leaves you with a satisfying lift at the end. Of course, not all the questions are answered. I've got many I'm sure he'll answer in the next installment.
on December 22, 2012
If you like action this book does have this element in writing. Bob Meyers creates an interesting story with alot of action. The characters however are never developed enough to make the book a "never put it down, can't wait to finish" story. The story line is interesting but some developments in the book are very difficult to accept. IE. A 16 year old who can think and reason more so than a highly specialized team was just a bit over the edge. In fact the team was developed like they were just automaton characters who think the same and are narrow minded, blindly follow procedure with no thought, while the 16 year old was the most developed character in the book. I've enjoyed the entire Area 51 series, hopefully the next book in this sequence will be more character driven with a story and not the other way around.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Even though I love science fiction movies, I usually do not have that same passion for science fiction books. However, this one (Area 51: Nightstalkers)proved to be an exception. The characters, action, drama and flow of the story kept me turning the pages. The author (Bob Mayer) knows how to spin a story by combining just the right amount of action combined with smart dialogue. Many science fiction books I have read in the past often lost me in the complexity of the plot, but this was not the case reading this novel. In fact, the story was easy to follow and since it is an adult science fiction book, it did not insult my intelligence. In fact, this is a book that at times requires some degree of understanding and knowledge of real science and science fiction.

I also love stories about elite teams of experienced commandos. In this respcet, some parts of this book reminded me of the many Navy SEAL combat books of Richard Marcinko that I have read and reviewed. The colorful names given these "Nightstalkers" (Moms, Nada, Kirk etc)was also unique and interesting.

In conclusion, if you like adult science fiction stories filled with action you will want to read this book.

Rating: 4 Stars. Joseph J. Truncale (Author: Season of the Warrior: A poetic tribute to warriors)
on December 18, 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The storyline was fun and action packed and the characters were well fleshed out. I really liked the addition of Scout in the last third of the book. I hope to see her in future Nightstalker books. I recommend this book to anyone who likes action adventure with a strong sci-fi twist. Enjoy!!!
VINE VOICEon November 25, 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I really enjoyed this story. I loved the premise, and there was a great team with the kind of equipment you need to fight aliens that want to take over our world, interesting and likeable characters, and scary and mysterious villains who hide in the most unexpected places--and critters. My favorite character was Scout, but Moms, Ms. Jones, and the rest were ones you'd want at your back too; and there were lots of imaginative ideas and background information. Well written with humor and fun digs at our culture, especially gated communities and the academic scene, and even historical tidbits. Recommended.
on April 10, 2014
Read like a Bureau13 roleplaying game. I also disliked the way he dropped information about various military units training programs. To me it served no real purpose other than to do a kind of bad version of name dropping. It smacked of obviously trying to impress the reader with his knowledge of the field. I did like the use of Warren Zevon Songs, that alone would have impressed me, the rest went too far.
on June 22, 2014
Take an elite group of soldiers, place them against a mysterious and deadly phenomenon, add a precocious, blue-haired 16-year-old girl, and laced freely with wit and humor, and you’ve got a rip-roaring military sci-fi adventure called The Nightstalkers.

Best-selling author Bob Mayer combines two of the most popular fiction genres — military special operations and science fiction — in this story of an ultra covert operations team called the Nightstalkers trying to contain the spread of glowing balls of energy called “Fireflies” from dimensional rifts created by foolhardy scientists. A West Point graduate and former Green Beret, Mayer writes knowingly of spec ops and weaponry, but avoids the false machismo found in many “commando” books. He not only laces his story with wry observations and outright laughs, he creates characters who, despite being highly trained killing machines, are still a bit vulnerable and even whacky — pretty much as you would find in real life. Plus the leader of this group isn’t some macho guy, but a tall, attractive woman nicknamed Moms.

In the first of a three book series, the Nightstalkers find themselves trying to contain the spread of Fireflies in an extremely wealthy suburb called the Senators Club. Failing at their attempt to blend into such a rarefied atmosphere, the Nightstalkers unwillingly adopt a neighborhood teenage fireball named Scout who opens their eyes to the alien lifestyle of the uber-wealthy one percent. The result is a fun and thrilling reading experience.
on April 24, 2014
Lots of books popping up now since publishing it isn't the investment it used to be. Lots of them are like this one.

They tell a story, they do a ok job of it but at the end you don't get the " end of book endorphins " from having finished something worthwhile.

It's an effort to finish and left me feeling disappointed. Maybe it does it for some, more power to ya if it's your thing.
on December 26, 2012
A pretty good novel involving some paranormal stuff and a secret military unit. Area 51 Nightsalkers had some real good action scenes, some slow parts, and some great characters.

The only disappointment i had with this was I was hoping that it was connected to Bob Mayer's Area 51 series, but this had nothing to do with that series. It's still a great story, but i had been looking forward to reading stuff set in that universe.

Area 51 Nightstalkers overall was a great read. I enjoyed it and can't wait till the next book comes out.
on September 5, 2013
My reviews aren't like most on here. I answer basic questions.
1. Did I make through the entire book. Yes, barely.
2. Did I finish the book wanting more. Not really, although NO questions were answered.
3. Will I read more from this author. Probably, but if the next one is like this, it will be my last.
I was NOT thoroughly entertained by this book. Almost put it down permanently several times. Enjoyed most of the previous Area 51 books, and was surprised I didn't on this one.