5.0 out of 5 stars Things that Go Bump in the Night
Published on December 26, 2011 by Lonnie E. Holder

3.0 out of 5 stars It was O.K.
Published 16 months ago by Liz

5.0 out of 5 stars Things that Go Bump in the Night, December 26, 2011
This review is from: Nightwitch (Paperback)
Eddie, Marty and Garth thought the jogger was an easy mark. A little knife work and she would be naked. Then they would have some fun. What they failed to consider, among other things, was that John Coffee was nearby, along with someone, or something, else. While John was more concerned with the something else, neither could he leave the woman to her undeserved fate, so he intervened. Sadly, for Eddie, Marty and Garth, the encounter would not go so well for them. Fortunately, the jogger lived to jog another day. Of course, the Night Witch was nearby, and even with Eddie, Marty and Garth under control, she could have been problematic for John, except she needed to take care of the bodies. After all, it would not do for her to come to the attention of the police.

Arty and his friend Carolina are typical children in many ways. Arty has a weight issue and many children at school tease him frequently, but Carolina is different. Carolina is kind and she likes Arty. Perhaps it is because she and Arty are alike in some ways. Arty's father abuses Arty and Arty's mother and Arty longs for a different life. Carolina's mother does not abuse her, but she does ignore her and seems to have problems understanding her. Carolina loves her father, who gave her a locket. Sadly, the locket belongs to the Night Witch and she wants her locket back because it is very important to her. Fortunately, Carolina's friends, including Arty and her father, are going to do their best to keep the Night Witch from harming Carolina.

The Night Witch is mysterious because we only see her briefly. Every time we see her, she is busy trying to kill someone. In this book, she kills, or injures, everyone who gets in her way, or who she thinks is getting in her way. We learn that the Night Witch is a mysterious creature akin to a vampire with magical powers called a soucouyant. By any other name, the Night Witch is an evil and deadly creature that would make the world a better place with her death.

The story that follows the introductory chapters is a marvelous thrill ride that ends only with the final pages of this book. Every time there is a noise or a bump in the night, you wonder whether it is the Night Witch, ready to attack someone. Carolina does not understand what this creature is that seems to be after her, and why it is after her. She only wants the thing to go away. Arty is frightened of the creature, but he will protect Carolina at all costs, and the costs are very high. Yet, Arty may gain much by standing up to the Night Witch. The Night Witch may also lead to a reunion between Carolina and her father.

The soucouyant is a non-traditional creature in North American literature. Typical creatures tend to be mummies, vampires, were-creatures, ghosts, and aliens, along with a few other miscellaneous creatures principally of European origin. The soucouyant is Caribbean in origin and has yet to receive much attention from North American horror authors. Indeed, author Douglas appears to be the first American to write a horror novel with a soucouyant as the antagonist. The unique creature in combination with the excellent writing make this story a must read for horror fans.

Ken Douglas is an excellent, though not widely known, author. His books are exciting and intense and each one I have read has held my attention from beginning to end. If you enjoy Koontz, I suspect that you are going to love Douglas. If you enjoy a good old-fashioned story about a battle between good and evil where the outcome is in doubt until the very end, this could be the book for you. Just be prepared for violence, gore, and death at every corner.

You may have seen this book under a different pseudonym, Jack Priest. Ken is busily republishing his books under his own name. One of these days, Ken is going to be famous. When that happens, the Jack Priest books are going to be valuable. Find them and buy them before they are all gone.

Enjoy!

My thanks to the author for providing me with a review copy of his book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Horror, great book, August 23, 2010
Lee Murphy "Crypto-fiction novelist" (Reseda, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nightwitch (Paperback)
I recently discovered Ken Douglas's books and was immediately intrigued by the originality of his work. He draws his material from the legends and lore of places such as the Caribbean Islands, and areas of the South Pacific I would assume he has traveled to many-a-time.

As unique a source of material as this can be, he is also a great writer. I have so far read Night Witch and Gecko, both of which are captivating novels that are impossible to put down. But I think Night Witch is probably my favorite. I have to agree with another reviewer who commented that one of the strong points of this book is that it is told from the perspective of children. This can be extremely tough to pull off, as children in literature and film (Jurassic Park leaps to mind), tend to be unrealistically mature for their age, not to mention whitty and all too often smarmy and annoying. Ken's characters here are engaging and written well within their age, yet their heroism is not forced, nor unbelievable. I found the character of Artie especially likable and was only disappointed when the story had to end. I would liked to have seen more of what becomes of these characters.

Great horror, great book.

Lee Murphy author of YGOR.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read the back cover first to get the proper context for what's going to happen..., January 18, 2013
This review is from: Nightwitch (Paperback)
The author Jack Priest was kind enough to send me another of his novels... Night Witch. This adheres to the Priest tradition of fast-paced horror novels that have the time slipping by quicker than you expected. My only caveat/caution would be to read the back cover first, as it will frame what's going on. I didn't do that, and as such spent more time wondering "why" than I should have.

The story revolves around a young girl who starts getting strange visits from a creature outside her window. She pretty much survives on her own, as her mom is always off "dating" someone new and her dad disappeared some time back. She starts a friendship with a boy from school who isn't very popular, but he's willing to stand up to the bullies and protect her as much as he can. Together they try and figure out what the creature is after, as well as how to survive against its raging attacks. The girl's father, thought to be long gone, is actually watching over her, knows what the creature is, what it wants, and is willing to die to protect her. The action continues non-stop until a final showdown at the end, pitting man against beast.

I've purposely kept the summary vague so as to not give away too much (I hope). From an entertainment standpoint, Night Witch was a fun read that helped pass the time as I flew overseas. If you're prepared to go with the flow, it's great. My only "complaint" is that the backstory of the creature remained a mystery until close to the end. That's not necessarily bad, but I was having a few problems trying to figure out why the creature wanted to get to the girl. If I had read the back cover first (don't know why I didn't this time), I would have had the proper context to understand what was happening a whole lot sooner. I would have stilled liked the book either way, but I would have been less "in the dark" about the driving force behind the plot.

But even with that, Priest's book is still one I'd recommend to someone who likes the horror/thriller genre. He's a refreshing change from the mainstream authors who normally dominate the bestseller lists.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was O.K., December 5, 2012
Liz (Las Vegas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nightwitch (Kindle Edition)
This was the first book I read by this author. Even though I enjoyed the characters I felt something was missing. The concept was good but the terror wasn't there. The author could have described the events more in detail so the reader is struck with fear for the characters. Somehow it wasn't scary but it could have been. I'll read another one by this author and see if its any different. He has the talent and imagination, he just needs to develop it more into writing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent read, October 20, 2012
This review is from: Nightwitch (Kindle Edition)
This is the third book that I read by this author and they're all great reads. Fast and suspenseful, you'll burn through the pages.

ARRAY(0xaeb56fe4)

Nightwitch
Nightwitch by Ken Douglas (Paperback - May 13, 2010)
$14.99 $13.49