1,222 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Has some flaws, but gets the job done
First word of advice - do not buy this watch on Amazon.com until the product is available for the MSRP of $199.99 that it is currently selling for on the manufacturer website.

Initial Setup

Published on July 14, 2011 by B. Wueste

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this if you are a serious athlete.
Published on August 4, 2012 by hopkis1139

4.0 out of 5 stars Has some flaws, but gets the job done, July 14, 2011

Initial Setup

The packaging for this watch is compact and easy to open - very similar to how Apple packages their nanos and related products. The box contained the watch, a foot pod, cord, and very very brief instructions. The instructions basically tell you to plug the watch into your computer and download the user guide (and then this is repeated in 15 different languages). The edge of the watchband serves as a USB port so you literally just plug the watch right into the computer. This port has a plastic hinge which I'm already afraid will break, but so far so good. Once plugged you download some software and either set up a nikeplus account or login using your existing nikeplus account. While your watch is charging you can customize your settings giving you a display that most interests you (i.e. average pace, distance, clock, etc.)

Nikeplus.com

If you've been using nike+ products with your iphone or your ipod nano then you can simply login with your same username and life is good. If you're new to nikeplus you have to set up a free account. Nikeplus has some issues like it's not great on Macs and sometimes it repeatedly asks you to login, but once you're in it's a pretty user friendly basic site. Runs are tracked showing mile splits and you can set up goals, challenges, or training plans. The GPS feature adds some really new and beneficial features to nikeplus where you can see your run mapped out and it shows you the spots where you ran the fastest and the slowest.

I don't understand all the reviews completely bashing the website - maybe they're all Mac users? It's annoying that it always asks you to login every single time, but the data displayed on the GPS route is everything I need (mile/lap splits, elevation, fastest/slowest point, etc.)

Running Experience

So far I've had no problems connecting to GPS and the watch has measured out extremely close to what my previous nike+ shoe sensor (and mapmyrun) was telling me. The watch is definitely less bulky than some of those older Garmin models and it fits very well. The plastic fittings make me a little nervous, but better than having hot metal against you skin I suppose. I have big clumsy fingers and I can press the buttons no problem in order to cycle through the stats that I want.

I've gone on about 30 runs and 26 of those time the watched linked perfectly and worked flawlessly. 2 times the watch never could link to a satellite so I was stuck running with only the footpod, which yields slightly different results than using GPS. Another 2 times about 5 minutes into the run my average pace would start to sore up into the 4:00/mile pace, which clearly was faster than I was actually moving. Ending that run and starting another fixes the problem, but you have to delete that messed up run from the website or all of your records will be skewed. (The GPS map of that messed up run showed me running straight through a mountain and a lake - clearly a satellite issue). I also lost a few runs in the beginning because of some issue connecting the watch to my computer, but that issue has not happened again thankfully.

Final Thoughts

The watch itself is great and so easy to use and see while running. You can easily take the data from the watch and track your progress in Excel, which isn't a bad idea given some of the website issues/bugs. I wasn't willing to spend twice as much on a new Garmin so I'm willing to accept some of the risks that come with this product. As a novice/intermediate runner this has really helped me get more out of my training, particularly my interval and tempo workouts where I can set laps in minutes or meters and really make sure I'm training appropriately.

5.0 out of 5 stars As a veteran runner, and one who has used every gadget, Nike hits the mark on this one..., August 4, 2012
This review is from: Nike+ SportWatch GPS Powered by TomTom (Black/Volt) (Sports)
I've been running for almost 15 years, have used every product under the sun for running, from foot pods, HR monitors, GPS devices, etc.. and when it was time to retire my Garmin 406 I wanted something new. Garmin has always been good to me, and even have an extensive website function sort of like Nikeplus.com. The problem with Garmin, is the fact most of their watches are boring looking or too big. Being a Nike person, from clothes to shoes, I figure I would give Nike a try, even though I was skeptical since they only recently entered the "gadget/GPS" market. I'll break it down for you guys...

Packaging
Almost Apple-like packaging; sleek, simple, not crowded unlike the overabundance of pamphlets you get in the Garmin boxes.

Pre-use setup
Now, I know some people, aren't completely "wired" via iPhones, computers, whatever, but if you want to get the full benefit out of this Nike watch, and with any Garmin you buy, you need to try to use that laptop of yours. You'll want to download the software from the link they provide prior to plug in, and you'll want to plug the watch in (via a USB that's in the band) before actually using it. I know some impatient people will want to just take the watch and go, but you'll wind up frustrated and then come on here prematurely bashing it before really utilizing it correctly. I am a Mac person, so set up with Apple software for the Nike was easy and fast. Now I don't know if this would be a cause for some people having issues, but my friend who has the same exact watch as me (bought it after seeing mine) has been having the "time" issues and updating issues, but he has been plugging into a Windows 7 based computer. I don't know if its a PC thing, or what, but he's been having a harder time getting it going than I have with it attached to my Mac... After you download software, plug it in, get all the updates, let it charge (set up your Nikeplus account) and boom you're good

Nike Plus site
I love the Nike site. Garminconnect.com was a little boring, though functional and very professional. Nikeplus' site reminds me almost like the dashboard for my Xbox 360. Very sleek, almost game-type functionality and easy to read and fun to read. After every run you do, plug in the usb, let the software you download automatically upload your run and BOOM go to the website and you can check out your stats and compare to previous runs. Its a very motivating tool, you see what you're doing, you plan your next run, can even set goals on the website that has a status bar showing your progress. Like my recent goal is to run 90 miles in 6 weeks, and the status bar on the website keeps me updated on how many miles I have left, and how I have been doing, pace-wise, speed-wise and weekly wise..

Now the RUN!
I use the Nike+ sensor in conjunction with the GPS (I have a nike+ ready lunarglide Nike shoe, though my friend has been able to tie his sensor to the tongue of his Asics) Now you don't need the sensor, the GPS works fine, but I found that with both in use, the accuracy is 10-fold better. So pretty much, when you're ready, hold the nice big green button for 3 seconds, my GPS has picked up satellite and sensor data within 5 seconds without fail every time. And boom, you're ready to go. The big portion of the screen is the miles you've run so far (you can change this to, but I like to keep track of my distance and see that all the time) the top half is a little smaller, but you can scroll through or have the watch auto-scroll through your pace, mph, clock, time elapsed, calories burned etc... (keep in mind, to auto-scroll or what you want to see on the top-half, you'll need to set this up on your computer software). The only con I've found, is to get the watch to light up for those early morning or night runs, you really gotta tap real hard fast. Nike says its like this to prevent from accidental taps.

Life of the battery and the watch itself
I have had m watch on Standby for weeks without charging with running 5-6 days while using it inbetween. So the battery last long, and you only really need to charge it every 8 runs (or 8 hours or use). Charging is via the USB connection to your computer, though I've used my iPhone charger with the USB extender that's provided to charge with no problems. The actual watch itself is very sleek. I got the black on volt (green) and it looks good. The display is very bright and easy to read. The glass covering the display almost feels like that thick gorilla type glass you find on some phones and other devices. The band fits real well, secure, and doesn't slip very easy if you like wearing the watch loose. The smaller overall interface and look is a nice change from the clunky and boring color Garmins.

Summary
Don't get me wrong, I love the Garmin watches, and if for some reason you're just not convinced with the Nike brand or this particular product from Nike, you won't be disappointed with Garmin. But if you're looking for something sleeker, great online activity, and an overall powerful motivating device, this Nike+ GPS is for you. Especially if you're like me, and are already using the Nike+ shoes, or other products like their Fuelband. Only con I mention, is the little tougher than normal finger taps you have to do to get the light on, and I wish there was more a of community/forum based function on the Nikeplus website. I know you can connect to facebook, but most of us don't have a bunch of friends on facebook that run, so it would be nice to connect with others locally via forum or chat board, and meet up for clubs, marathons, events, etc...

5.0 out of 5 stars Nike Plus for Marathon Training, December 4, 2011
I've run 6 marathons so far (a little over 1 per year), and always love to have new technology to play with during training. I bought the Nike Sportwatch shortly after it came out. I was not impressed. It really liked a lot of critical features, and the website was constantly having issue.

Multiple months and 600+ mileson it later, I'm happy to say that I really enjoy it. Nike has been incredible about this launch. Every couple of months they've continuously added more and more new features. The website is still slow, but they are launching a new one in ealy 2012. The new features on this watch put it among the best out there.

New features:
- Walk/Run timer (interval timer as well)
- Avg, Pace
- Improved Mapping
- Set time on the device (no computer needed)
- Incredibly fast satellite connection (even in the city)
- Auto calibration of foot pod
- Faster upload speeds to add your runs
- Integration with Facebook

All in all, a great watch. This one will work for new runners and advanced runners. The only people that this isn't a great choice or is ultramarathon ruuners. Battery life with GPS is 8-10 hours...not long enough for a 50-80 KM.

Having owned Polar RS800, Polar RCX5, Garmin 305, Garmin 310XT, and Garmin 210, I would put this up there as one of my faorites. The website is the best one out there, and the sites detailed training programs are worth using to achieve your best time yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Track Your Runs: A Nike+ SportWatch GPS Powered by TomTom Review, November 27, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was familiar with using Nike+ GPS on my iPhone to track distance and pace while taking our dogs on long walks. Then I signed up with Team In Training to compete in my first half marathon. I trained with a large group of runners with varying experience levels who were split between using nothing, a wrist trainer, or a smart phone. I considered purchasing the Garmin Forerunner 305, but my coach advised against spending the money. At the time it was probably good advice, but now I want something more sophisticated than the Nike+ GPS app.

The stylish Nike+ SportWatch GPS, made in China, can be worn as a fashionable watch. When used for tracking runs, the SportWatch utilizes GPS satellites used by TomTom to map and track your run while auto-calibrating the shoe pod sensor. When the SportWatch isn't linked to the TomTom GPS satellites, the shoe pod sensor will track your run but may not be as accurate since there are no manual calibration methods. The double clasps secures the SportWatch to your wrist and also functions as the USB connection for transferring your data to the Nike+ website and customize settings.

On the left side of the SportWatch are three buttons, two black directional for up and down, and a colored button to select, or begin various options. SportWatch options include clock for manually setting time and alarm functions, run with the ability to turn on/off the sensor, GPS, laps, or intervals individually and tracking, history, records showing several stats and bests, and a stop watch.

When plugging in the watch from the hidden clasp USB connection for the first time, the user is sent to Nike's website to download the user interface, a simple tool which regularly transfers data to the Nike+ website, and updates the SportWatch's firmware and satellite positioning data. If you already have a Nike+ web account set up, your profile info will automatically transfer into the user interface. When you don't have an account, you can either create a new one or provide the information in the profile section of the interface. Additional customizable settings in the user interface include clock settings, run reminders, sounds and the stat loop can be set as well as lap and interval settings. The SportWatch is also charged by plugging in the USB.

To see GPS mapping with a run histogram or pace graphs, a Nike+ account is required. Other options available on the Nike+ website include coaching programs, goal setting, challenges, linking to friends, a world map showing all your GPS mapped run locations, and forums. Finding friends is based on a connection and postings to Facebook or submitting an email address. Looking for someone in your neighborhood to run with is difficult unless you're already friends with them.

The shoe pod sensor is your backup system for when the satellite is unavailable or running on a treadmill. It can also be used to quick start your run while the Nike+ SportWatch is linking to the satellite. Be sure to link your sensor by selecting Run -> Options -> New sensor. The shoe pod sensors can be problematic, as I have personally experienced, but are simple to deal with when the method is known. The shoe pod's solid white back has a small button, which when held down for five seconds will deactivate the sensor to preserve battery life. This is helpful for those without dedicated running shoes, or when the sensor won't be used for an extended period. A quick tap of the button, some recommend a few quick taps, will reactivate the sensor for use. If the sensor won't connect, it could be deactivated or need rebooted. If this is the case, deactivate the sensor, wait a minute, then reactivate to see if this resolves the problem. If the sensor is dead, you will need to replace it.

The TomTom satellite is finicky and requires a clear line of sight to the sky. Don't expect to link with TomTom satellites when running indoors. Nike recommends updating the SportWatch before use as satellite locations change regularly. (Take a laptop with you when you travel.) Then stand in a clear area with the SportWatch facing away from the body while linking, which could take from a few seconds to a couple minutes.

My first run with the SportWatch was frustrating as I couldn't get my sensor or satellite to link. After several firmware updates, I've concluded the SportWatch was rushed to market. Firmware updates are currently a regular occurrence, and the SportWatch seems to be more accurate or usable with each. Using firmware version 3.3.0 and a satellite link, the mapping information is accurate. I can fully track my runs, upload them to Nike+, and analyze my runs with trustworthy data.

Without detailed instruction, it has taken a lot of time and research to understand how to get the best results from the SportWatch. I've finally gotten the Nike+ SportWatch to work, and now it performs as expected. The consistent firmware updates, annoying as they are, shows Nike is committed to working out the kinks and making the SportWatch an effective running tool. If you use runkeeper or other apps, this may not be the best option. However Nike+ app users may find the SportWatch is a nice integrated upgrade.

PROS:
Stylish appearance
User-Friendly software
Lap and Interval settings
Weather resistant
Can use optional polar heart rate monitor

CONS:
Troublesome satellite linking
Constant firmware updates

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this if you are a serious athlete., August 4, 2012
My son is a cross country runner and runs 40 or more miles a week. I bought this watch for him for Christmas. It is August now and we have had to send the watch back twice because it fogs up and stops working. It is supposedly water resistant but can't stand up to sweating. What kind of sports watch doesn't stand up to sweating? Don't buy this watch if you sweat when you exercise. When it isn't fogged up and broken it does do what is supposed to do. That is why I gave it one star.

Every time you get the watch replaced, the warranty starts over so you will always get another watch. It is a one year warranty and they never last a year. My son has a friend that has returned his 9 times. It is a pain to call and get authorization to send it back and be without the watch while it is broken and you wait for the replacement to come. We have spent an average of 15 minutes on the phone each time we call to get the authorization to send the watch back. Also they insist on getting a credit card on file to make sure that you send the old one back. Since they won't give us our money back I guess we will be perpetually sending watches to and from Nike. Not how I want to spend my time.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good runner's watch, but falls short of perfect., April 19, 2013
J. Leedy (Jax Beach, FL) - See all my reviews
This is a very good watch. It does what it needs to do. It looks good. It is VERY easy to use. Here are its few shortcomings that prevent a 5-star review:

1 - The "tap face for backlight" feature is a little unpredictable. I can be seen tapping, then smacking, the watch in various locations as I am running, to try to get it to light up. It always eventually lights up on the 3rd or 4th try. I just had to check as I wrote this... 3rd try.

2 - The GPS may be slightly optimistic. I just ran my 2nd officially timed and measured 5K last night. The mile markers for the race came in at 1.1 miles on my watch, 2.02 miles on my watch, and 3.05 miles on my watch. I was showing 3.1 miles a good 50 yards before the finish line. I particularly notice this at the beginning of a run. The instant and average pace always show me going far faster than reality at the beginning. The average pace eventually evens out and settles in... it was almost right on the money during my most recent race. However, the instant pace usually shows me going about 45 seconds to one minute faster than my actual pace. Sometimes only 30 seconds, but it's always a bit optimistic. Once I upload the workout, it straightens itself out.

One reviewer stated that he is fairly thin but he is on the last notch. At 6'2", 220", and having wrists and forearms that most people describe as "substantial" I am admittedly in probably the 95th or 98th percentile of "heavy" among the running crowd. I'm on the second to last notch comfortably and could squeeze it onto the 3rd to last notch without losing circulation. I'm not refuting the other reviewer, simply trying to provide some more empirical data so you can make your own judgment. If you have tape measure handy, my wrist circumference is 7.5" . . . so you're probably safe up to 7.75" or 8" if you don't mind a light squeeze.

As far as concerns on the USB connection go, I shared the initial fears other reviewers did but can say having uploaded 10+ workouts now that if you are careful with it (I'm not talking kid glove careful, just not bull-in-a-china-shop careless), it'll last as long as you need it to.

The software is great... I wish you could get a 5K time for any run, not just when you set a new PR, and I wish you could more easily access your PRs online, but really, the online setup is easy and slick. Really cool to see your run on a map.

I have no other device to compare this to, really. I borrowed my girlfriend's Garmin 210 for a run once but didn't use it enough to compare to this, so this review is in a vacuum.

I would absolutely recommend this to any novice to intermediate runner.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too many issues with this watch., April 30, 2013
Sandy D. Scott (Seminole, FL USA) - See all my reviews
I suffered through the use of a Garmin Forerunner 405 which I purchased from a user who indicated that the watch was so complicated that she simply did not enjoy using it. I quickly discovered what she meant. It was anything but intuitive, the bezel was overly sensitive and the some of the data on the screen was so small that it was difficult to read during a run. The Nike Sportwatch solves all of these problems but adds others. There is virtually no need for an instruction manual - every function is clear and intuitive. The readout is a dream with the best readout by far of any GPS device on the market (for example, I hate the readouts on both my Garmin 500 & 800 cycling computers). The readout is large and clear and can easily be read in the heat of the battle. I love the fact that a new lap can be started by simply tapping the face of the watch. Recharging is a breeze with the USB connector built directly into the band of the watch.

But all is not well in paradise. If you do not update the GPS data by running Nike+Connect prior to your run, you will find yourself frustratingly waiting for the watch to pickup the GPS signals. This morning, after 10 minutes of frustration waiting for the watch to couple to the GPS signals, I gave up and updated the positions on my computer and then the watch very quickly found the signals. Of the 5 GPS devices that I own or have owned, this has never been an issue. I find the design of the USB connector on the end of the watchband to be rather bothersome when putting on the watch. The clasp easily opens making it difficult to thread the watchband. Sometimes it takes multiple tries to simply put the thing on your wrist.

I am disappointed that unlike other vendors, Nike did not go with ANT+. For example, I just got a new German made bicycle computer, the O-Synce Navi2Trainer. It immediately recognized my Garmin heart rate strap. I thought that I would be okay in that I have a Polar Wearlink that looks exactly like the Polar Nike+ heart rate strap. Unfortunately, it is not recognized by the watch requiring the user to purchase a rather expensive add-on. Rather frustrating for someone like me who has ANT+ heart rate straps from two different manufacturers. But to add insult to injury, after paying all of money for the strap, the watch will not display maximum heart rate, and you need to be a detective to ferret that information from the software after uploading your workout. One should not need to use a computer to obtain the parameters of the workout. Also, it simply will not display even your simple heart rate until after you finish the workout unlike every other computer I am aware of.

Now the worst part - the watch is simply not accurate. I have three bicycle GPS computers. They are dead-on accurate (as was my erstwhile Garmin 405). If I measure a mile with any one of them starting at my house, all three measure a mile at the exact same mailbox. I confirmed this distance with a "standard" bicycle computer on which I had carefully measured the wheel circumference to assure accuracy. The Nike watch goes 4/100th of a mile beyond the actual mile point before it finally registers one mile. To make it even more frustrating, the mile point seems to vary from run to run. IOW, with the inaccuracy of this watch, if you run a marathon, when you cross the finish line, this watch will be registering about 25 miles, and hence your watch will not correlate with the race. Of course it won't correlate with a mile race either!

This could have been a 5 star watch based on the ergonomics, etc., but my engineer/airline pilot mentality cannot give this watch anymore than one star based on the above mentioned, rather serious flaws. I cannot recommend the purchase of this watch.

Oh, and one more thing - I cannot get the watch to recognize the foot pod. I have tried numerous positions of the on/off button to assure myself it's in the "on" mode, but it never recognizes it. Of course I guess that is an insignificant problem in that what's the point of calibrating to something that is inaccurate?

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a nice watch and a great purchase., February 4, 2012
I would like to post my personal observations and feelings about this SportWatch.
1) the band is relatively small. My wrist is not big at all, but I have to close it on a next to last row of holes. This can be an issue for men over 200 pounds or with broad bones.
2) build quality is awesome, the band is comfortable and doesn't become rigid on a hand even at -20C (tested)
3) alarm noise is not loud and it's not ajustable. For me this is a drawback, becase sometimes I can't hear it in the morning.
4) water resistance is enough to forget about the watch while having shower (tested) or visiting hammam (tested). Although I wouldn't risk to swim in it.
5) backlight feature is very cool and usefull
6) GPS satellites are usualy found in 2 minutes in a city, my mobile phome needs much longer time for this. So, compared to Android's Endomondo Nike+ SportWatch is faster, more compact and usefull.
7) charges from USB, no batteries needed.
By the way, thank you Nike for an USB cable provided!
I like this watch so much that I often wear it with business clothes without hesitation. In my opinion it's a great gift both for men and women.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very upsetting., September 6, 2011
I got the Nike watch to monitor my training for school and I am really upset it didn't work. With a perfect area for the GPS to work our distance and pace was off by more than a little. For a group of NCAA DII XC runners we were running an easy 7 something pace at practice and the watch told us we were running a thirteen minute pace and by the end of our 50 minute run it said we had only gone 3.5 miles!!!
I love how the watch looks and it worked great with my mac but the extreme inaccuracy is more than any runner wants to deal with!! I really wish Nike+ would have taken more time to work on it. I would get it again if they improved it. I love how easy it is to use and how it lays out everything on the computer for you, but no runner wants a watch that can't even tell if you're walking or running for an hour.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Simply not sweatproof!, August 15, 2012
After just 1 month watch face fogged up suddenly during a long hot summer cross country team practice in southern CA. Errattic function followed with on/off glitches. Just three days later display went completely black. Recharge and redownload did nothing. Just DIED!! I see other cross country runners have similar complaints about the product especially during this brutal August when sweating is profuse! Clearly water resistance and sweat resistance are serious flaws. Nike seems to know the "fog" problem so i strongly recommend calling Nilke at 1-800-379-6453 and arranging an "advanced exchange" if you
LOvE how this watch works on a good day!!! Definitely a love/hate
Relationship so far! I'm hoping mine was just a lemon ----
but beware there are clear complaints on their own website and Amazon of 2-9 returns for crashing over just
A few months!! Yikes!!!!

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Aug 16, 2012 8:30:26 AM PDT
NikePlus says:
(MANUFACTURER)
Hi H. Seynaeve - We apologize for your frustration with your SportWatch. We'd like to continue troubleshooting with you live over the phone. Give us a call at 1-800-379-6453, 5am-10pm PDT, 7 days a week. We look forward to your call.

Rate and Discover Movies