Nikita: Season 2
Format: DVDChange
Price:$13.69 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Format: DVD
There seems to be a tendency to think that ANY TV show that we watch and like should automatically warrant a five star review rating. I have never felt that to be so and would accordingly rank the various shows I watch on a regular basis from 3-5 stars (most falling into the 4 star designation). I say this in preface to my comments about the second season of CW's ratings challenged adventure "Nikita" because it is a show that has improved substantially since its debut. I loved Season One, don't get me wrong, (largely due to the incomparable Maggie Q) but a number of elements never quite gelled for it to truly reach its potential. Some supporting characters were ill defined or underutilized, Alex's complete freedom to talk to Nikita as the plot dictated seemed awfully convenient and unbelievable, and the new recruit interactions seemed forced or took us away from the main action. But still, I tuned in every week (and just rolled my eyes every time Alex was in the empty computer lab in the middle of the day chatting with Nikita) and appreciated all the good stuff! Still, I would have regarded the first season as a 3 1/2 star endeavor with some brilliant episodes and some not so stellar.

When I tuned in to Season Two (I guess I was one of the few as it is consistently one of CW's lowest rated shows and that's saying a lot for CW), I was absolutely floored by the show's changes. It was like they reached into my mind and corrected everything I found lacking in the preceding year. And with that, "Nikita" emerged as this year's most improved program AND the season's most underappreciated treasure. Why is this fantastically complex and rewarding spy drama being subjected to a slow tortuous death in the ratings dungeon? Being relegated to the dismal Friday night landscape didn't help, but with all the cookie cutter procedurals on the air--I'd still have thought the ladies of "Nikita" would demand some attention! This year, leads Maggie Q and Lyndsy Fonseca have consistently served two of the most surprising and multi-layered roles on TV.

I won't give away much of the plot, but I will say that all of the actors have been given a chance to shine. Maggie Q and Shane West (Michael) are now working together and the tribulations of mixing missions with romance is a constant struggle, as both have large secrets emerge from their pasts. West has a lot more impact now. Aaron Stanford (Birkhoff, mostly comedic relief in the first season) now works with our rogue agents and is given additional drama and development, showing a whole new fully explored persona. Fonseca is now liberated (but still tied) to Division and her complicated back story is explored with much detail, giving her a chance to shine in terms of performance. The invaluable Xander Berkeley (Percy) starts out with a seeming lack of power, but still engages with sly cunning and understated menace. And the show finally utilizes Melinda Clarke (Amanda) in the way this great actress deserves and she devours the opportunity to step into a leading role.

Season Two consists of 23 consistently entertaining episodes. While some are stand-alone in nature, the serialized structure of this year's main story arcs really provide the show with renewed focus and purpose. Enigmatic newcomer Dillon Casey is a new foil for Fonseca, and it's fascinating to see exactly where his loyalties lie. The show also wisely brings back some memorable guest stars from Season One including Noah Bean as upright CIA analyst Ryan Fletcher and Devon Sawa as rogue agent Owen Elliot. Seriously, Season Two is an expert blend of action, plot, and characters. It has moved from a show that I liked to one that I feel passionately about. If you are one of the viewers that jumped ship for the second year, I strongly encourage you to check out what you've been missing! KGHarris, 4/12.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 26, 2012
Format: DVD
Would highly recommend 'Nikita' to anyone looking for a fast-paced, intelligent, action-packed TV show that is enhanced by a stellar cast. I've been watching 'Nikita' since it originally aired & have totally enjoyed it. This is definitely one of the most underrated programs currently on TV.

The 2nd season has shown a lot of maturity from the 1st & has consistantly been interesting, well written, & well acted, especially by Maggie Q, who is the best part of the entire series. 'Nikita' goes beyond the typical gov't assassin/James Bond plots & story lines, & goes for a well developed story that has viewers interested in the characters, how each episode will turn out, & keeps you guessing until the end. 'Nikita' doesn't rely on cheap, gratuitous violence, nudity, or any raunchy visuals to keep viewers watching. Instead it works at being an intelligent, well crafted program that offers people what they truly want to see.

'Nikita' is one of those rare gems you find on TV, but its network doesn't support it & the show's plagued by low viewership. CW really needs to get its act together & understand that it has a great program on its hands. There's tons of potential with this show as far as where the story can go, character development, & so forth. High praise for 'Nikita'. Hope to see a 3rd season.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 25, 2012
Format: DVD
This series only seems to have that upward climb effect. I hope they keep getting better. I gave this season a 5 star mark because it well surpassed the first season with twists and turns. The writing is a lot more solid. The first season was also a good season just season two is better. I think both seasons had pivotal endings and season two was no different. Looking forward to season 3. :)
on July 19, 2012
Format: DVD
I'll just write it out right now: I think that Nikita is one of the best television shows on air right now.

People might laugh because, hey, it's on the CW and while CW shows are a guilty pleasure, they're not actually GOOD, right? But the thing is, Nikita isn't a typical CW show at all. In fact, it sticks out like a sore thumb on the network because it really doesn't fit with any of the other programs. Anyway...

When season two starts, a lot of things have changed. Amanda is in charge of Division and has locked Percy up. Nikita and Michael are on the run. Alex is trying to avenge her father's death. And Birkhoff is, well, NOT working with Nikita and Michael. ;)

Nikita's second season ends up being vastly different from the first. For one thing, Nikita and Michael are no longer "frenemies", which lends a very different vibe to their scenes together. I've heard some people complain that these two are boring now that they're actually in a relationship, but I disagree. I like that the writers don't feel the need to throw in manufactured drama and angst into their relationship. And we knew that they were going to get together eventually, so I'm thrilled that the writers decided to not drag out their will-they-won't-they dance for an additional four or five seasons.

The biggest change is that Alex and Nikita start off this season no longer working together. As someone who really enjoyed the friendship between these two, I was pretty heartbroken when Alex and Nikita had a falling out at the end of season 1. Their relationship has become a lot more fractured and complicated in season 2, and the writers do a good job at depicting this. We see that Nikita feels like she has failed Alex and will do anything to protect her even though they're no longer on the same side. We see that Alex resents Nikita for what she's done and said (or not said), but that ultimately Alex still cares about her, too. The scenes between these two as they slowly rebuild their trust and friendship are fantastic. When they finally reunite and reconcile, it is hands down one of the best scenes in the series.

Both Alex and Nikita are strong female characters whose lives don't revolve around men, which is another thing that makes this show so great. At the same time, "strong" is not the same as flawless. Nikita and Alex have their share of flaws, which make them more believable and relatable as characters. For example, Nikita has trouble treating people as equals, which both Alex and Michael rightfully call her out on. Alex, meanwhile, is stubborn and naive, which ends up being a dangerous combination as we see her getting in way over her head with Percy and Amanda.

The casting for this show is pitch-perfect. Maggie Q especially comes into her own during this season. She was a bit wooden at times in season 1, but now she delves deep into Nikita's emotional core. Her acting in Wrath was some of the finest I've seen. And on the action side, I'm impressed that someone like Lyndsy Fonseca, who I assume doesn't have any stuntwork or fighting experience, comes across as a very believable Miss Badass. (It should go without saying that Maggie Q is badass herself.) We also see the introduction of some new characters like military man Sean (Dillon Casey), who ends up being a foil for Alex, as well as the return of some old favorites like the rebellious Owen (Devon Sawa) and by-the-book Ryan (Noah Bean).

One potential drawback of this show is how heavily serialized it is. I don't mind serialization, but it could be confusing to newcomers. Season 2 in particular becomes MUCH more heavily serialized than season 1 was. During the latter half of season 2, there were times that even I was confused as to what was going on, even though I'm a loyal viewer. It's sometimes a headache trying to keep track of all the shifting alliances and backstabbing going on! But hey, on the other hand, it's pretty nice having a show that makes you think to that extent. There are a few plotholes because I don't think the writers planned everything out in advance, but nothing so big that you can't just handwave them away. :)

All in all, Nikita is an excellent series and more people should give it a chance! Don't let its CW pedigree scare you away.

A solid 4.5 stars (rounded up to 5 due to Amazon's ratings system).

on August 22, 2014
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
'Nikita' never disappoints. In fact, I'm on a mission to owning all four seasons just to see them stocked on my entertainment set. I have the option to watch three of its seasons on Netflix but stop myself because I want to see the DVD's. I simply cannot get over the chemistry between the actors and the relevance they have in every episode. This series was well thought-out, had an attractive cast, and it's obvious that they were even intrigued by their own characters.Special thank you to everyone who took part of the show.
on June 18, 2014
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
I hated to see the series end but at least it had a conclusion that was satisfactory, unlike cancelled series that have occurred over the years. Would buy anything with Maggie Q.
on May 28, 2014
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
I enjoy watching this woman,excellent activities modern techniques and brilliant action by her and the filmsI do highly recommend nikita to all.
on May 24, 2014
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
My wife and I love this series. She had bought me Season 1 for my birthday and wanted Season 2.