5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent lens and great value too.
Ok, I have had this lens a couple of months now.
What at first seemed like a very good lens is now one I consider
exceptional. In fact it is now my favorite for several reasons.
First of all this lens consistently produces beautiful, even toned and complimentory Bokeh to my images. Bokeh is that term used to describe the elements of a photograph that are...
Published on March 28, 2006 by projectmgr

3.0 out of 5 stars Still catching up to the Tamron 90
Here we have what appears to be a made-in-heaven lens from Nikon combining thier excellent 105 2.8 with 9 blades for better bokeh (out of focus rendering) and (gulp!) VR!!!

Well, let's cut to the chase. Is this lens worth the money? It depends. If you absolutely had your heart set on a Nikon 105 2.8 Micro, then this lens makes sense. The bokeh IS better than...
Published on May 14, 2006 by S. L. Miller

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 523 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikkor 105mm "Micro" My favorite lens!!, February 6, 2009
This review is from: Nikon 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor Lens (Camera)
Length:: 2:07 Mins

This is my favorite lens in my collection. It is perfect in every way. Fast , Image Quality unparalleled, no flaring issues and no vignetting. I would highly recommend this lens for anyone looking for a great Portraiture lens and Macro lens!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A highly desireable, impressive lens., December 9, 2010
I shopped for a while to find a used lens, but the few that I found cost nearly as much as a new one. I did not find any significant cost reduction between various retailers, except for "gray market" lenses. If one purchased a US warranty for these imported lenses, the total cost exceeded that of a new American version. So I opted to buy from Amazon, a trusting vendor and saved on the taxes.
The performance of this lens is quite impressive. Just taking simple snapshots, one cannot help but see the extremely sharp imagery. Close ups are very very sharp and because of the VR feature, I was able to take most of my pictures hand held and I suffer from a tremor.
On the downside it is large, heavy and pricey, but from what I can tell it is the standard by which all others are compared to. The 200mm Micro (macro) is also quite impressive but unfortunately its cost was a little much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing. Just hit the buy button...you will not regret it!!!, October 17, 2011
Ali Navaie (La Jolla, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Ladies and gents, boys and girls...get yourself ready to get up and close to your subject. To begin with, I'm very used to having great lens on my D7000, I currently own the "Nikon Holy Trinity set," thus my expectation on "good glass" is very high. With that said, this lens does not disappoint in anyway shape matter or form. Optically the lens delivers fantastic sharpness and clarity. Speed of the AF system is crazy FAST! And the VR system is second to none. If the "Holy Trinity" set was to be expanded this 105mm 2.8 should be the one...Period! Having used this lens all day long, for closeup photography, as well as, other all around general use, I honestly have to say, if I did not own the 24-70 2.8, this would be the next lens I could see having on my camera 60% of the time. Needless to say, I'm extremely happy with this bad boy and I give it TWO BIG THUMPS UP!

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid lens, gets even better on sale, November 18, 2013
A little slow to focus. To the point that if it missed the focus and went all the way back to the other side of the range - you better just manually focus and then click button again so it will pick up autofocus faster.

A little on the heavy side but what would you expect from that much glass? Pictures comes out OK, just make sure your insects have enough light. Works OK as a portrait lens but 105 mm will make you run far from your object. In any case, I think it's the best Micro lens to have (especially if it's your first one). Shorted lens just won't do any good if you shoot insects. They will wave (or flick you a bird) and fly away before you even think about shooting them. Shorter one will work fine on flowers or pattern shooting. But if you want butterflies or other ADD insects - get this one. Nikon never disappointed me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant improvement, April 28, 2008
I have been shooting flowers, bugs and other things close up since I was a child (don't ask how long ago that was), but I had never produced a single photograph that I wanted to print.

With this lens, I was immediately taking pictures that were good enough to print and take pride in. With a few weeks of practice -- mostly to improve my choices for depth of field and point of focus -- I should be taking excellent shots. This is a great lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lens for macro work (and portraits are pretty too), December 3, 2011
If you are getting bored with your photography work, get yourself a macro. A macro lens REALLY teaches you to slow down and LOOK at the world around you. And there is just so much beauty around in things you usually ignore. Lens is well built but hunts around a lot. Because it's a macro, sometimes I can't get the aperature any more open than 3.2. The hunting for focus can be annoying and I would never shoot this lens with moving children. It does work as a gorgeous portrait lens but your subject better be able to hold still (although hunting is diminished when you are further away from your subject). Like more things Nikon, this is a great piece of equipment.

5.0 out of 5 stars just what I wanted, June 23, 2012
I had rented this lens several times before buying it and really liked it. Now that I own it I use it over 50% of the time. The backgrounds are so smooth and silky that many of my flower photos look like paintings. I've watched bees up close and butterflys and seen them do things that I could never have seen before - sometimes I discover after taking the shot and looking at the subject on the monitor.
Lightweight and it focusses very quickly, the images are incredibly sharp that often I do not add any sharpness in post production. It is so easy to use that I do not miss having a zoom lens.
Gerrt

5.0 out of 5 stars Its all in the Glass, April 15, 2010
WOW...What a lens! I was using the 60mm Micro, but this is now my favorite. The 60mm is just as good, but the extra zoom allows some cool images.

5.0 out of 5 stars 105mm macro lense, July 8, 2008
I received this lens in very good shape and have used this on about 30 pictures and the resolution is great. I can hold the camera in my handsfor sevral pictures but it works best to use a tripod for very steady pictures as I like very close up images. It can be used for portraits and close ups as it has a very narrow viewing angle and I go to the zoom lens for the rest. I used a Nikon D200 for these pictures

4.0 out of 5 stars Micro Skills are a snap, portraits take more time, May 16, 2012
This lens is a tank. It is very solid and I use it on my wife's d5100. I've had it for about 6 months now and I use it mostly for taking pictures of stuff in the yard. I tried for a while to do portraits and people with it, but the focusing is quite dificult for me to nail. If it is very bright outside the AF is solid, but in low light the focusing is a challenge for portraits.

The 105mm on my cropped sensor provides a decent working distance, such that you can get a housefly to fill up a good amount of the frame while still being a 5-6 inches from the fly. macro focusing is spot on and the VR really helps you are taking random shots in the garden and you don't have the time to set up a tripod. See my picture above of the fly on a pink iris. I give 4 stars because I thought the portrait utility would be better based on other reviews so this lens is a little less flexible than I thought. The micro ability is flawless though.

One other note - when I actually do get a portrait focused right, the image quality awesome and the picture is very silky looking - I love some of the shots of my boy i've taken with this. I really prefer the look of the image with the depth compression and low distortion compared to my 50mm 1.4, but like I said, the AF is tricky. I don't feel like I can count on getting a good sharp shot with moving subjects like kids. And it is awful for sports photography, for those same reasons, unless you are just snapping pictures of the athletes standing around.
When you put the hood on this thing, it looks pretty beefy. Despite the cool look I often take the hood off or flip it, because between the lens and the hood, it stretches over a foot off of your camera body.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 523 | Next ›