5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon Prostaff 7 vs. Monarch ATB Binoculars 8x42 6.3 Degrees
Published on February 3, 2012 by what a world!

Published on October 30, 2012 by Daniel

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon Prostaff 7 vs. Monarch ATB Binoculars 8x42 6.3 Degrees, February 3, 2012
what a world! (Putting in Time on Planet Earth) - See all my reviews
Admittedly inexperienced with binoculars I purchased both the Nikon Prostaff 7 vs. Monarch ATB 8x42 6.3 Degree Binoculars to compare and contrast. Both look good, weigh about the same and provide the same level of magnification; the brightness level also seems comparable. The Prostaff are a bit sleeker and longer while the Monarch slightly more compact with a beautiful camouflage pattern. Fit and finish on both appear to be top-notch. I'll keep the Prostaff's and return the Monarch's (thank you Amazon) and save the difference. Well bought and quite pleased.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice but for a couple of minor details., February 19, 2012
Scott (SAN FRANCISCO, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon 10x42 Prostaff 7 Binocular (Black) (Camera)
I searched around, looking for 8x42 binoculars, under $200, for bird-watching. I made a list of six or eight and was able to try them out at a few different locations. They all seemed about the same to untrained eye. (Even the $1100 pair did not seem to be markedly better.) I found the Prostaff 7 Series 8x42 and 10x42 at REI and tried them side-by-side. I liked the extra magnification of the 10's better and the decreased field-of-view was not too big a problem. I was also worried about increased shaking, but it was not bad either.

Overall, I like them quite a bit. They are very comfortable to hold and are not too heavy. The image is crisp and very bright all the way to the edge of the lens and they are easy to focus.

The only problem I have is with the lens covers. The objective lens covers are not attached, so you have to clip them to the neck strap or just stick them in a pocket. The cover for the ocular lens does not fit and will fall right off if turned upside down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb value for money, simply the best deal out there for midsize binoculars, March 4, 2013
Fiendish (Sunny California) - See all my reviews
So, given the headline, why the 4 stars? The eye relief is a little less than perfect in terms of setting the cups for those of us who do not wear glasses and the lens covers are a bit of a pain in the rear. Those are minor gripes indeed and not worth changing your decision about these binoculars based upon - they are still the best value for money deal in the midsize category by my reckoning and for all but the most demanding (or indeed possibly just fashion conscious) will be superb, lifetime optics. If you don't wear glasses, make sure the cups are adjusted all the way out and click into place. If you do wear glasses, then you're in luck - these have plenty of eye relief and you can keep them on.

Depth perception and color accuracy are superb, tending towards a slight excess of 3D effect. That's head and shoulders above most midrange optics where the image is very flat and 'dead' by comparison. Hand feel is good - grippy and with an impression of quality. Very comparable to Monarchs and indeed if you're looking at those I suggest you audition these as well because they're optically very close and you can get 2 pairs of these for basically the same cash as a pair of Monarchs.

My review is based on physical comparison of many dozens of pairs of binoculars side by side across a broad price spectrum. This price point appears to be where quality and cost converge, with more expensive offerings (at full retail) offering fractionally improved optics within a given manufacturer's range and lower priced offerings having far more optical artifacts than I believe any reasonable user could put up with. Nikon appear to be right up there in the value for money leagues, with these being very close contenders with optics at twice the cost from some other manufacturers. It appears that most manufacturers have a 'signature' color balance which I assume is based on coating technology however, so your tastes may vary and you may find another brand which is more to your liking if you're already wedded to a 'look'.

Summing up - great binoculars, great price on Amazon, solid feel and excellent depth of image. A fine set of optics and good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon Prostaff 7 exceeds expectations, February 1, 2014
Having taken several journeys lately into researching various brands of binoculars, the trail always led back to Nikon. Other brands were either over priced or lacked quality in one way or other. Having owned Bushnells and a few other brands over the years I also knew most of the key factors to look for in selecting the best quality product for for under my limit of $200.00. And like other reviewers I debated over whether to go with 8 or 10 power, ultimately deciding upon the 8X42 only because of the perceptible hand-shake effect I personally experience with 10 power binocs. The 8X42 are remarkably sharp and crisp, and remain so even at low light levels bordering on total darkness. The edge to edge sharpness is perfect with no fall-off (blurring at edges) whatsoever. The focus controls, main and diopter, are well designed and perform in a precise manner. The actual feel of the binocular is as if someone gave as much though to the design of the binoc body as was given to the optics themselves. The Prostaff 7 is light weight yet substantial and has a 'this is the way it should be' feel when holding them. The neck strap is well constructed, wide enough for comfort, narrow enough to be unintrusive. The only negative/con is that while the objective lens caps fit snugly and securely, the ocular (eyepiece) lens caps are too large and do not stay on. In light of the 99.99% other positives it was easy to overlook this, and the problem was solved by simply placing small thin adhesive pads inside the inner rim of the caps to snug up the fit - problem solved ! Granted one should not have to do that, but I personnaly view it the same as buying a BMW with a smudged exhaust pipe. Conclusion: If you want a pair of quality binoculars at a low price and I do not believe you will be at all disappointed with the Nikon Prostaff 7 8X42's.

5.0 out of 5 stars These are just great!, August 6, 2012
J. Hammond (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon 10x42 Prostaff 7 Binocular (Black) (Camera)
I read most of the other reviews about this product and I am extremely satisfied with them. The range of sight is very good, very easy to see out of them.

They do come with a nice carrying case, as well as a very nice neck strap. I was going to order the chest holder for the binoculars but this neck strap is thick enough to work well.

There was a complaint or two about the lens caps coming off too easily. The outer lens caps fit securely and the ones closest to the eye come off very easily - BUT - they are also supposed to be attached to the neck strap. To me this is a very handy feature.

The binoculars are adjusted very easily with each side adjusting separately, then the middle adjustment for fine tuning.

I was trying to decide between these or the Trailblazers. The Trailblazers are a bit larger and since I'm a woman, these were heavy and big enough! There was a trade off in the features but I am not a very experienced binocular user so I figured that I really wouldn't know the difference there.

Bottom line - I can't see a person not being satisfied with these! They even have a nonslip coating on them which is going to be so handy. I figure these will last me a lifetime. Really like them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pro Staff 7, April 1, 2012
This review is from: Nikon 10x42 Prostaff 7 Binocular (Black) (Camera)
I depend alot on my optics for hunting. Having owned some "pretty good" binoculars, I decide on the pro staff 7 10x42 after purchasing their riflescopes over the years.Nikon 10x42 Prostaff 7 Binocular (Black) Amazing clarity, depth, and resolution. Nikon makes an absolutely GREAT product...great buy...you will not be disapointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nikon Prostaff 7, May 3, 2012
This review is from: Nikon 10x42 Prostaff 7 Binocular (Black) (Camera)
These are great optics for the price! Way better than others I have looked at in this price range. I would say a lot of others 50-75 dollars higher were at par with these. The only reason I can't give these a 5 star review is that the lenses coverer are horrible... They do not connect to the bino's, nor will they stay on. You have to constantly baby the front lense covers or they will keep falling off again and again. Also, get a good shoulder harness for them, the neck attachment is ok, but not comfortable enough to use for prolonged periods of time.
Overall: Great price, great optic, and very durable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice binoculars., September 11, 2012
This review is from: Nikon 10x42 Prostaff 7 Binocular (Black) (Camera)
I bought these to use at the Reno Air Races in 2011 which got cut short because of the accident. But for the first day these binoculars worked great. Sharp, clear and easy to use. Quite light for a large binocular and very good quality for a set that was not expensive.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for the price, but not a good option if using for anything serious, October 30, 2012
This review is from: Nikon 10x42 Prostaff 7 Binocular (Black) (Camera)
For budget level binoculars these are fine. The optics are good and they feel and look much better made than Bushnells and other budget level brands. The only issue, and it's quite a big one for my purposes (birdwatching and fieldwork) is the focus wheel. It is just too slow. If you're doing any birdwatching in forest habitats, where you often only have a few seconds to focus in and ID your quarry then they are quite frankly not good enough. I compared these to the Monarchs and found the latter to be much better. The monarchs focus quicker and the optics are better. I paid the 150 extra dollars and went for the Monarchs.

5.0 out of 5 stars German quality at an amazing price.!, April 25, 2014
This review is from: Nikon 10x42 Prostaff 7 Binocular (Black) (Camera)
Amazing for the price. I purchased these at Cabelas, and had a chance to compare them to several high $$$ binoculars. I've been a Leupold fan for years and I fully intended to buy a pair of leupold binos. However, after comparing them, I must admit these Nikons are better, brighter, and more clear, for half the cost. I even compared them to a $2300 pair of the German optics, I couldn't tell a difference except the price. I'm a long range hunter and shooter, and I would recommend these.! Thanks for a great product Nikon.!

Nikon 10x42 Prostaff 7 Binocular (Black)
$284.95 $169.00