Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Style: 18-55mm VR Lens|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change
Price:$378.99 - $1,719.80

on February 15, 2014
I have come to the conclusion that most of the reviewers of this camera do not own any other cameras with which to make a competent and accurate comparison! Unless you are looking at a review from a professional site that does nothing but camera reviews, most consumer reviews have to be taken with a grain of salt! You have to keep in mind that for a review to have meaning, you must know what camera(s) the consumer is comparing the D3100 to and if the photos are being taken under similar conditions. Comparing the D3100 to a 6MP Canon is useless and so is comparing photos that are shot under different lighting conditions or using different ISO settings or different lenses (zoom versus wide angle).

I am not going to go into all of the details as to which camera has what features since my primary concern is picture quality followed by video quality. Features are great but would rather have fewer features but better photos and videos!

I took all four cameras, put them on a tripod and shot photos using the standard 18-55mm kit lens that came bundled with the camera. I took photos of a house on the side of a hill that is located about 500 yards away and then enlarged the resulting JPEG files on my computer using a 23" HP LCD screen. I did not print them out but viewed them at 200-300% to check out every bit of detail. I used ISO speed from 100 to 3200 to get an idea of how well the noise reduction worked on each camera without sacrificing image quality,

RESULTS: The best camera from ISO 100 to 1600 - Sony A3000. The second best - Canon T3i ( not as good as the Sony from ISO 100-1600, but just a little better than the Sony at 3200), third place goes to to the Olympus E-PL1 which did very well when you consider that it has a 12mp sensor versus the others that range from 14.2MP to 20.1MP. In LAST place is the Nikon D3100.

The D3100 is better than my old Nikon D40x for sure but not as good as any of the other cameras I used in this comparison. You could say that it is not fair since the Nikon has 14.2MP and the others that rated better have 18-20MP. But then, the Olympus with 12.3MP also did better than the D3100!

In terms of Video quality, the Canon T3i and Sony A3000 are pretty close with the T3i being slightly better. The Olympus PL1 fell to last place because the output is in 720p when all the others are 1080p. Nikon D3100 took third place in video quality.

Hope that helps a little in clearing up some of the picture quality issues between at least this batch of cameras.
on November 13, 2011
There are plenty of reviews here referring to this wonderful camera, and I share the feeling it's a great entry point for people that want to us DSLR cameras. So I won't bother being redundant about the good stuff. The only one thing that I'm disappointed is the connector cover (the one that protects the ports like USB, accessory terminal, etc) I bought a GPS accessory, and it's connected to the camera at all times. This one connector cover is shared by 4 terminals, so that means that whenever I'm using my GPS unit this cover is open all the time and my terminals are exposed to humidity (rust) and dust. Bad design!
on October 11, 2013
I bought this camera last year and it's great.

For starting in photography is a great place to start. It helped me along to my process of learning about photography.

Simple DSLR for a simple learning process.
on May 5, 2013
I got my camera quick, I used it the next weekend to take PROM pictures. The camera worked well and took great pictures. I would recommend to anyone that it is okay to buy a refurbished camera from Nikon.
on December 7, 2012
The Nikon D3100 is an excellent camera. It will capture clear photos and works very well with creative shots for the more advanced photographers. I've taken tens of thousands of photos with my Nikon D3100 and it still works like new. It's easy to use, durable, and a ton of fun! I have nothing bad to say about this camera and would recommend it to anybody.
on December 15, 2010
Well i decided to upgrade, I picked this camera and am very happy with it, it takes great pictures. I can do all manual or my wife can us it in auto. Yes Lens arent cheap, but i am happy with my purchase for the bucks. only down side is im not over impressed with the 1080 video, but i didnt buy it for that
on June 8, 2012
The camera is fast, light, handles well, buttons feel good, solid. It takes very nice pictures, and in manual mode you can make it do whatever you want. The controls are intuitive, for a DSLR.

I'd add more but there are about 300 other reviews you could be reading. I bought mine based on Ken Rockwell's recommendation and I don't regret it.
on January 20, 2011
Bought this product for my wife since she has been using a Nikon N65 for several years. The quality of pictures and camera quality is great. Its very easy to use even for an amateur like myself. Love the "Guide" mode. Very useful. Also, fully compatible with older Nikon style lenses. Great buy.
on October 2, 2013
Great camera. Went from a compact camera to this one. Takes a little while to get around the shortcuts but the photos are great in all the conditions I've used so far (dark, interior portraits, landscapes)
on June 13, 2012
I'm not a pro but I thought it was about time to upgrade from a "pocket" digital camera to a DSLR. I purchased this camera last week and I can't say that I have much experience with this thing nor can I say I'm a professional photographer. The best thing about this camera is that you don't need to be! I took about 300 pictures the first time I took it out and the clarity and precise pictures I got were impecable! This camera is definately worth every dollar.