Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Style: With 18-55mm Lens|Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

on June 5, 2011
Being in Graphic Design, I was in the market for a DSLR, and was reading up on the specs of the D5100. I had only had previous experience with a Canon D60 and proudly owned and used a Nikon FM2 Film Camera for a decent amount of years. (Hence why I went with Nikon again, for the lenses) Since I was looking for a camera for on-the-go shots and night shots, this little baby seemed to come into my life just at the right moment.

It is an unbelievably light weight camera, which makes it nice for lugging it around. The body IS Plastic, so it is definitely not ment for you rough and tumble types. The rotating flip screen is a serious plus, for getting those wierd angled shots you would otherwise need to dig a hole to get. All of the features, such as portrait, landscape, etc like point and shoot cameras are featured, although I just use manual settings to custom taylor to my needs. ISO can get up to 6400, Shutter Speed can get up to 1/4000. The white balance is very nicely programed, pictures come out as if it were my own eyes. (*personal settings apply) Auto focus can be turned on in constance and is pretty responsive when moving the camera around.

Never mind the Video capability. (1080p HD?! COOL!) Even little on-unit touch ups like upping digital lighting, or adding a "Miniature effect" to the photos, it has been quite joyful to even do slight color correcting on the camera in playback.

I have only had this camera for a few days, keep in mind. And I did not buy it from Amazon (even though they have the same great price i paid for it.) This camera is a bargain for what you get. I couldn't be any happier, especially with the price. What can I say- I am already in love.
on September 15, 2011
I got this camera just before my daughter's birthday. The picture quality is excellent even in low light! I haven't tried various modes yet but it works perfect out of the box in auto mode. The consignment arrived on time from Amazon without any issues.
on September 8, 2011
I bought this camera because my wife and I had a son on the way, and nothing is better than pictures of a newborn's tiny fingers and toes. I've been a casual amateur photographer for 20+ years -- from my dad's Minolta SR-T 101 through a long series of point-and-shoot digital cameras. I wanted to step back up to a camera giving me control over my images, and this allows me to do everything I can think of with a lot of success. The bottom line is the D5100 takes awesome photos for me. I have no doubt a more expensive camera will take better photos, but for me the amateur dad obsessing over his newborn it is entirely unnecessary.

Pros: In auto mode, it's a point and shoot that produces far better results than any other camera I've owned. In manual mode it gives me complete control over my images just as I expect. High ISO is incredible, not nearly as noisy as I expected.

Cons: It's not weather sealed. I don't have anything else negative to say about the camera. The biggest con is that it makes me want to buy faster lenses, a fancier flash, an endless list of accessories, and now I need a bigger hard drive to store all these images!
on July 12, 2011
This is an outstanding DSLR camera and picture quality is tooooooooooooooo good.
Always pair this with Nikkor lens for good performance. I got 18-200 and it is superb.
on February 6, 2015
I am an amateur, not a professional. I recently sold a D90 and replaced it with this. Why? Mainly the flexible LCD screen. It's great for getting a more impactful angle or perspective. It let's you shoot kids and pets on their level. My photos are more interesting with this camera because of the better angles. The LCD screen is also more convenient for shooting an occasional video clip--especially when monitoring on a tripod.

And I don't understand why people flock to the 52000...5500 for big bucks. Even more pixels? More focus points? Built in Wi-Fi? Please. For me, I don't see the point when this camera does what I need for a whole lot less.

This camera is one heck of a good value.
on December 18, 2012
I bought this camera November 2011 after doing some research and talking with other people. It seemed like a great purchase. February I went on vacation, took it out to take pictures, it took a picture but the bottom half was black, a few more shots and it stopped working. The camera would not communicate with the lens. I returned it to Nikon to have it repaired, it took 4 weeks to get it back. It worked great for 7 months until it broke again, same exact problem. I've sent it back to Nikon, they've had it for 4 weeks already and I have not heard from them. The first time it broke I missed a family wedding and now it will be Christmas. I bought it from a distributor and they were unwilling to give me a loaner camera or do anything for me so I'm out of luck. I asked if they can do a trade as this camera has broken twice in one year, obviously defective and the factory can't fix it correctly. They will not work out a deal so I'm out the money if I want to get a new one or I keep paying for repairs now that it will be out of warranty. I will not buy another Nikon as this is a common problem I hear. Next camera will be a Canon.
on March 31, 2013
Excellent in low light, and in every setting. I find new settings every day. This was my first DSLR and I was slightly skeptic about any camera I wanted and I picked the right one. From the lens selections to the image quality, it's nearly perfect.
I only wish the waterproof casing was less expensive and it took faster continuous shots. I've been converted from Canon Powershots to Nikon. :3
on December 29, 2011
This Nikon is my very first dslr camera. The pictures it takes are amazing, in low light situations or not. This camera has the same sensor that the d7000 has. which we know how great of a camera that is. However when choosing my Dslr i did have trouble picking between canon or nikon. I know they both make amazing camera and lenses. i did go to the store to see how they each felt. When i did that they both were very similar (5100 vs canon t3i). so i went with the nikon based on the fact that it seems to take better photos through the research i have done. Although the canon is known to have better video mode so it a better all around camera. i highly recommend this camera to anyone wanting to get into photography and take amazing photos!
on May 9, 2014
This is my first DSL-R Camera, and come with a perfect... I said PERFECT combination of lense. Is an excellent camera. Seller was very responsible and fulfilled in deadlines and deliver a brand new product.
on May 23, 2011
I read every review imaginable for this camera, from different sites DPreview, snapsort, cnet, ken rockwell, reviews from users here on amazon, best buy, b&H, etc. Since this was my first DSLR I wanted to make sure I was confident in making such a big investment. Ken Rockwell made a good point in "Cameras have nothing to do with taking great pictures. To take great pictures, you have to know How to Take Great Pictures". Let me start by saying that I am a complete novice who is graduating from a Canon elf point and shoot, and I'm already taking fantastic pictures with minimal effort. (at least in my opinion). I can only imagine what kind of pictures I will be taking once I really master the camera and all it has to offer with all its different settings. I'm so into it that I'm actually signing up for photography courses. I didnt know whether I would use the video, but I have used it quite a few times as well and I am pleased with the results. You do hear the autofocus motor noise in the playback, though, if you were to continue using it heavily as a camcorder you would need to get the separate stereo mic.