Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Style: With 18-55mm LensProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$749.00 - $789.00

on August 29, 2013
I really enjoy using this camera. it is so much better that the point and shoot cameras I have owned before. However, my wife cannot fit it in her purse so she does not like it as much as I do. I would reccommend this camera to anyone who is looking for a quality product at a "entry-levelish" price. The lense that came with the camera is good for normal picture taking, parties and pictures of kids playing (either indoor or outdoor) that kind of thing but to really make use of the camera for wildlife photography a "more powerful" telephoto lense is really required.
on June 4, 2011
My first DSLR was the Nikon D40 and it served me well. I've been waiting for some time for this camera to be available and I'm very pleased with the image quality it produces. The sensor and processing it has is the same as the D7000 without the extra weight and bulk, which is exactly what I wanted. It's well built and I especially like the option of the folding screen as I take macro and panoramic shots where it's invaluable.
22 comments4 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 22, 2015
First off let me start by saying that I love my camera. It was my first Nikon as I transitioned from my old canon. I have found the camera to operate funny after about a year of non-intensive use. The 18-55mm lense may be the cause but I am not a technician. I still use it but the camera does not let you focus on shots accurately. It would auto focus one minute then just free. I have to switch to screen mode all the time. Would I buy back a nikon? Yes. Would I buy a d5100 nope. I hope this helps any one reading this. Use a different model if you need it for professional use.
on January 9, 2013
We wanted to get a good camera before we have our first child. We researched a ton of different cameras and this one seemed to have the best reviews. I used to have an older Nikon 35mm and there isn't really that much difference. The video function is pretty awesome but you won't want to use the auto focus because all you'll hear in the video is the mechanisms in the lens focusing.

There are a few features that are just gimmicks. One in particular makes photos look like a cartoon. Useless feature but it doesn't get in the way of anything important.
on July 24, 2014
This is awesome camera. Even though new models have come out this is still an outstanding camera. The sensor in this camera is the same as the legendary D7000 has in it. It is capable of professional quality output in the hands of a skilled shooter. If you don't need weather sealed body or not shooting weddings every weekend this camera should do nicely for you. You can buy one used on the cheap. Watch this video to see what this camera can do. All the hot air aside the video will speak for itself.
review image review image
on May 20, 2013
I am just beginning my journey into photography and I have found the Nikon D5100 easy to use and more than capable of performing for my needs. I needed a good camera to create product shots for an online catalog. I attempted to use a Point and Shoot but I could not get those close-up detailed shots that are necessary in some cases. The D5100 along with a Macro lens, have satisfied that need.
It takes some time learning how to use it, but the effort is worth it. A great beginner camera for those stepping into the Digital SLR world.
on August 19, 2013
I love this camera. It has dealt with a LOT of shooting from me and I have no complains or downtime. A very faithful camera it is. The lens that comes with it is alright, I don't use it really unless for general video, but it's a good lens so no newbie should ever be wondering "What lens should I get?" Use the lens it came with! Anyway, the controls are exactly where I want it to be, nothing is hard to reach. There's tons to say, but all in all, a durable camera that I use for work, freelance work (real estate), fun, etc etc.
on December 26, 2012
This Nikon D5100 replaced a Nikon D40 that had died. It's several generations improved, and has features that I didn't even expect, such as the intervalometer. Video is certainly icing on the cake as well. The discounted price was too low to pass up. Also, Amazon's service was truly amazing. The order was placed on 12/20, and the camera was delivered on 12/24, free shipping! My only complaint is that the delivery person didn't knock or ring the door bell, so we didn't discover it until later sitting on the front porch in plain sight.
on February 2, 2012
I am very happy that I have purchased this camera.
I bought both the body and 18 to 55 mm Lens.
The photo quality is super!! Even in low lighting environment. Have not had time to explore more features.
Afterward, I did more research and found out that I could have just bought a body and buy a 18 - 300mm or 200mm lens.
It seems to be the trend to have one lens for all situations rather than carry two lens.
Overall, I am very satisfied.
on March 15, 2014
I got this camera a few months ago and I have to say, this is one of the best beginners DLSR cameras out there. The interface is simple and with enough practice, simple to understand what the numbers mean. I love the swivel LCD screen (it has come in handy when filming and taking pictures). I would recommend this camera to any beginner out there looking to go from a point and shoot to an SLR camera. The packaging was damaged but the actual box the equipment came in wasn't. I am very pleased with this purchase.