5.0 out of 5 stars No need for prime
For those of you who are satisfied with your 18-200 VR. You don't need this lens. I stuck with my f3.5-5.6 zoom for a long time because, heh, I took "good pictures". I adapted to low light, didn't miss f2.8. I was not convinced that a "pro" lens could make any difference visually...only if examining test shots of test patterns with a microscope.

I've been...
Published on September 30, 2008 by T C Knight

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality control issue -- Check you lens carefully.
I would like to back the reviews (made by B. Guvenir "gshot.com" on February 21, 2008 and by W.Davidson on March 18, 2008) about small metal flakes inside of lens.

Published on December 12, 2008 by GLX

5.0 out of 5 stars No need for prime, September 30, 2008
This review is from: Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens (Camera)

I've been wrong before but this was a doozy. There is SUCH a HUGE visually noticable difference between shots made with this lens (and the 70-200 f2.8 VR) and my old stanby lenses that I about fell out of my office chair. My "good pictures" have become "great photographs". I now own both this and the 70-200. I sold my favorite lens of all time, a 24 mm prime, on a website. I'll never go back. You will get these two lenses from me when you pry them out of my cold dead fingers.

One more note. If you are like me and constantly read pro blogs and photo how-to books you will see most of the pros say something along the lines of "I don't use mid range zooms, I use wide angle for landscaps and long telephoto for close ups". I bought that for a while until I started looking closely at the metadata for photos they exhibit on their websites and books. Check it out, 6 times of 10, the lens is shown to be a 24-70 zoom. I use this lens almost exclusively for landscapes and lifestyle photos. I rarely go to a wider angle unless trying to make a visual "statement". So, here's one pro who says "I USE MID RANGE ZOOMS", and the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 is usually the one on my D3 when I pick it up.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Lens for Vacations, Portraits and Fun, April 27, 2008
I know what you're thinking: Seventeen hundred bucks or more for a mere midrange zoom?

There is nothing "mere" about this zoom!

Wide open, Nikon's new workhorse is sharper than most prime lenses. That's right -- I shoot all day long at f/2.8 (I like resulting blurry backgrounds) and never, never lack for sharpness. Being able to shoot f/2.8 at night doesn't stink, either.

Colors are vibrant, the bokeh (out of focus areas) is creamy, and you'll see ghosts and flares *only* when shooting straight into the sun. And I've never seen an autofocus do its thing so quickly or with such accuracy. I'm catching a lot of shots I used to miss.

No lens is perfect. This one has exactly three drawbacks.

1. It's pretty darn big for a midrange, so sometimes I miss Nikon's compact 18-200mm zoom. And that's without the massive lens hood in place. Snapped on, a big lens gets even bigger.

2. The zoom ring is too close to the camera body. I've only been shooting with it for a few days, but I keep grabbing the manual focus ring by mistake. There's a learning curve here, and I'm not yet over it.

3. It's in short supply. Good luck finding this beast at the suggested retail price.

On my D300 however, it's as perfect as a giant, expensive hunk of glass can get. It takes all my standard 77mm filters, and its DX-effective 35-105mm (approximate) zoom range makes it a great "walk around" lens. It goes wide enough for most landscape shots, and zeroes right in on my two-year-old's face.

But mostly I can't get over the sharpness, the color, and the responsiveness of the autofocus. I probably paid too much for mine, but it was worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding quality, as expected, March 15, 2008
The image quality from this lens is, as other reviews indicate, nothing short of spectacular. Having used its ancestor, the Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8, I am not surprised in the least. Despite specifications to the contrary, the 24-70mm feels lighter in my hands than the 28-70mm did, and if it is possible, somewhat more responsive. Perhaps the weight distribution is more even in the 24-70mm than it was in the previous iteration.

After using this lens for a few weeks, two things did surprise me:

1. I don't miss VR in the slightest. I was, to put it mildly, dismayed to find out that Nikon did not include VR in their latest evolution of their fixed-aperture standard zoom. I was, to put it mildly, pleased to see that I get proper exposures with 1/100s shutter speed or higher in all the situations where it matters to me. The configurable auto-ISO on the D300 is a life-saver in this respect; I expect this observation will only become more true as camera technology improves. I suspect Nikon planned this all along.

2. The difference between f/2.8 and f/4.5 is substantial. For the longest time, I kept using my trusty 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 lens, because I felt sure that I wouldn't benefit very much from the extra 1/3 to 4/3 stops that the fixed f/2.8 lens has to offer. I was wrong.

I primarily use this lens indoors, and for basic portrait work. For these settings, it is exemplary; my only regret is that this lens may put my 50mm f/1.4 out of business. That would be a sad development.

Another area where this lens shines is quasi-macro work. With a reproduction ratio slightly better than 1:4, you get respectably close to small subjects, and have beautifully out-of-focus backgrounds at f/2.8 and 70mm. Shots of single flowers at close range against an interesting background, for example, turn out quite nicely.

I'm very much looking forward to using this lens for the next decade or two (or more). DX digital, FX digital, film-- whatever your game is, if you need a lens that covers this range, I don't think you will find any better than this for quite some time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just about perfect! Contrasty, sharp, colorful, and versatile!, February 3, 2008
Roger J. Buffington (Huntington Beach, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a magnificent piece of kit. The Nikon 24-70 F/2.8 is a professional -grade lens and shows this in every way. The build quality of this lens leaves nothing wanting--all metal construction, wonderful damping of the zoom ring--this is a beautiful instrument.

This is a full-frame lens, which means that it is suitable for FX Nikon cameras such as the new D3. However, this lens also performs wonderfully on the usual DX sensor for the other Nikon cameras such as the D200/300, D70s, D80, etc. When used on a DX camera, like all lenses, the focal length is increased by 50%. This is both good and bad. The "wide angle" end of the lens becomes 36mm rather than 24; on the other hand the 70mm zoom becomes 105mm--a very useful focal length. Overall, I love the range of this lens on a DX camera.

The image quality of this lens leaves nothing discernible to ask for. This is a razor-sharp lens at all apertures including wide open at F/2.8. Images on my D80 are colorful, contrasty, and did I say razor-sharp at all apertures? This lens is as good within its entire focal range as any prime lens I have seen, used, or heard of. Of course, the price of this lens reflects this, alas.

This is an AF-S lens, meaning that it contains an integral focusing motor (supersonic wave motor, or "SWM"). This, combined with the fact that this is an F/2.8 lens, causes it to focus lightening-fast. So this lens is great for action shots or low-light shots. Since this is an AF-S lens, it will autofocus on the D40/D60 series of Nikon bodies.

Some Nikon afficianados have complained that this lens does not have VR (Vibration Reduction) but VR is probably less important for a 24-70 focal range than for a longer zoom, and since this is an F/2.8 lens, it is usually feasible to increase the shutter speed of the shot to "freeze" the action.

A few points. The outer element of this lens extrudes, but not past the petal-configured supplied lens hood, which does a perfect job of protecting the front of the lens. Neat. One thing I am not crazy about is the relative placement of the manual focus ring and zoom ring. I sometimes confuse the two, and I think that given the fact that most people will use this lens in auto-focus mode rather than manual mode, Nikon might have placed the manual focus ring in a more out-of-the-way place. Not a big quibble.

This one is destined to be another Nikon legend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!!!!!, July 22, 2008
I've had the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 for a while now, and it gave me such a problem! The pictures that lens took were so beautiful and sharp that I couldn't bring myself to use any other lens. Caused such difficulty when I wanted to take portraits. I had to step so far back that, frequently, I would miss the shot! Went to my son's pre-school graduation. The kids were all standing together, perfect opportunity for a picture. But I had to get so far away that all the other moms with their point and shoots were walking in front of me and blocking my shot! This happened time and time again--at school events, little league games, swim meets, and on and on... The Nikon 24-70 has solved my problem! Finally, a lens to compete with, and possible surpass, my beloved 70-200! It produces pictures that are every bit as beautiful as those produced by the 70-200. Indeed, they are indiscernable. So now, I can get right up there with the other moms and take wonderful portraits of my kids. Only problem now is that now I want a 2nd body so I can pull out this lens for portraits, and quickly switch to the 70-200 for action shots.

This is a great lens, and a perfect compliment to the Nikon 70-200. Unless you're into landscape photography (which I'm not), those two lenses should be all you'll need.

6/23/2009
It's been a while since I wrote this review, and I've now gotten that second body--a D700 (to go along with my D200). Now that I've had a chance to use the lens on the D700, I have to say that the pictures the combination produces far outshine those produced by the lens on the D200. That's saying a lot because I loved the pictures I took with this lens and the D200. But the D700 is such a superior camera that, coupled with the Nikon 24-70mm, it takes some of the most beautiful pictures I've ever seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Sharp Wide Angle Zoom - Heavy too!, April 19, 2011
I did a lot of research before I purchased this lens. I was trying to compare this to the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 because this 24-70mm f2.8 is sooo expensive. I knew I was going to be going to FX eventually and granted the Tamron and the Nikon but work on FX/DX so why spend the extra money?

Well this is one of the three "trinity" lenses from Nikon. The "trinity" are known as the professional grade glass from Nikon. They are the 14-24mm f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8 and the 70-200mm f2.8. All three are known for their legendary sharpness, color, contrast and of course weight. Keep in mind this is not like any consumer grade glass - this lens weighs in around 2 lbs and it doesn't feel too bad by itself but put it on a body (Mine D7000) with a grip/flash and this lens and the weight adds up quickly.

The lens is sharp....TACK sharp wide open and that's what sets it apart from 3rd party glass. Tamron/Sigma are not Tack Sharp wide open - they may appear to be but pixel peep and you will see that are not as sharp as the 24-70mm f2.8. Also Nikon gives you a 5 year warranty, Sigma only 2-3 years and Tamron 6 years. Though Tamron's are notorious for slow focusing speeds, Sigmas are known for fast focusing speeds. Sigma is also known for back/front focusing issues and extremely poor customer service. Keep in mind that Nikon Pro Glass holds its value, in fact I had purchased all my glass USED from Adorama/B&H Photo and currently they are selling for MORE than what I had paid. So look at this piece of glass as an investment!

Who is this lens for? Well if you are happy with your kit lens or 18-200mm VRII then save your money you won't miss what you never had. If you are a semi-pro and are making money with your photography or hell if you are rich - don't think about it and just buy this lens. Yes, its expensive but once you view the quality of your photos you will be blown away. When I bought this lens my wife (whom also shoots) say, "WHY?". After she shot with this lens she could not get over the quality difference. She kept saying, "OMG, OMG, this lens is incredible". Keep in mind she always gets mad when I also had previously purchased the 85mm f1.4D and the 70-200mm f2.8 VR1. Only after she uses it does she understand why these lenses are so expensive. They are the best of the best and for good reason.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection, with a few footnotes, July 12, 2009
From a raw image quality standpoint, this is the lens all of the reviews claim it to be - truly amazing modern engineering, a work of art. I can't imagine anyone finding anything substantially wrong with this product: amazing optics, wonderful build quality and so on - it's absolutely worth every penny Nikon gets for these lenses, assuming you can even find one.

It's even a good investment...my experience with pro-quality Nikon lenses tells me I can buy one today, use it for several years, then sell it online for at least 80% of what I originally paid. This is the formula that lets me feel comfortable to buy today instead of perpetually waiting for the "next big thing".

Of course, the person this lens is designed for knows all that. Still, I thought I'd mention a few things to ponder for those of you maybe a little bit on the fence.

First of all, I'm politely going to suggest that for most purposes, this lens may be a bit of overkill for DX cameras. The smaller DX sensor doesn't really do justice to the images created by this wonderful lens, especially if you're accustomed to one of the better DX zooms. Sure, if you trade your $200 kit lens for the 24-70, it'll be night-and-day, but if you stack it up against one of the better DX zooms (for instance, the 16-85 - about a third the price), you might not notice much of a difference in picture quality overall on a DX body - the better DX zooms are pretty good in their own right.

Yes, it will give you the best image you can possibly get on your DX, but if you're going with this caliber lens, consider investing in an FX D700 (or D3, or D3x, etc) to give this lens the sensor area it deserves.

Related to this point is that some of us are fanatics when it comes to overall image quality. We use those expensive B&W filters, we shoot RAW, we tweak every possible setting, both in the camera and in PhotoShop, we even use the purest inks and best papers in our printers. These are the people who will most appreciate this lens.

Second, keep in mind that 24-70 is a fairly narrow zoom range, and at least for me, this means I tend to end up carrying more equipment around. Might not be an issue for most of you, but it does no good to have the world's sharpest optics if you're missing shots because you're spending all your time changing lenses or because the zoom range isn't wide or long enough.

Visit your camera store and see firsthand what it's like to carry (say) the 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200...this is a lot of equipment. A DX body with an 18-200 will feel like a point-and-shoot by comparison (not that I'm recommending the 18-200).

Third is the VR issue others have brought up. Yes, it's nice to have that f/2.8 for low-light, but it would be that much better if you also had a workable VR system. Thing is, unless you're willing to make religious use of a tripod, again, you might not be getting as sharp images as the guy with that 16-85 DX on his camera, since his is smaller/lighter and has an effective VR system to boot.

None of this takes away from what Nikon has built here, which is absolutely the benchmark in performance for zoom lenses in this range, no matter what the price. Very highly recommended, so long as you're happy to live with the issues pointed out above.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - was I impressed, March 4, 2008
I bought this lens (from Amazon) because I felt I needed this focal length range for my business - my 17-55 often was coming up a bit short. After receiving it and using it for a while now I should have been WANTING this lens.
It is sharp, focuses close, has great build quality and feels right at home in your hand.
I was a bit concerned about the size but it actually feels better than my 17-55 which will probably go up for sale shortly.
I am so glad that I waited for this lens and didn't get the old 28-70.
If you are considering a lens in ths focal length range hit the 'add to cart' button now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality control issue -- Check you lens carefully., December 12, 2008
GLX (Denver, CO USA) - See all my reviews

I ordered and received one of this lens from Amazon.com last week. After carefully inspecting the lens, I found there were excessive dusts and some metal flakes inside of back element of the lens. Couple of metal flakes was on aperture diaphragm blades. However, inside of the front element of lens was looked total clean and clear as it should be.

Since I am the third person on this site complaining this same problem with this particular lens, it may be a common QC problem with this lens. Please check you lens very carefully after receiving it.

I returned the lens, and got my money back in just two days. Returning order to Amazon.com is so easy, and their Customer Service is great. That is why I always order from them. Amazon Customer Service gets A+.

3.0 out of 5 stars Inconsistent Focus, November 30, 2008
I have had this lens for 7 months. In the 7 months, Nikon has had it for almost 3. The autofocus is inconsistent from shot to shot. I have sent samples to Nikon via web and printed. I have sent the lens to them twice already, once with the D300. They adjusted the autofocus the first time and the lens came back worse. the second time they had to replace the entire zoom mechanism. unfortunately it will have to go back again. mounting the lens on a tripod does not give better results. I will however say that when it does focus correctly (40% of the time) it is a great lens. Maybe i have a bad sample but after reading many posts and reviews, it seems that this is not an uncommon problem with this lens. Hopefully Nikon will (can) fix it. The lens is really unusable in it's present state. I have 8 Nikon Lenses from the 70-200/2.8 to the 85/1.4 and none of them have this issue!!