4.0 out of 5 stars great flexibility and good quality
Received this lens 2 days ago and took it around town and to a baseball game to try it out on my D700. Overall I am very pleased with it. The zoom range allows for great flexibility, the autofocus is fast, VR II superb as on other Nikon lenses. While the zoom is not as loose as the early 18-200mm lenses, you do need the included lock for it not to creep if you carry the...
Published on September 9, 2010 by S. Heck

3.0 out of 5 stars slow and heavy but good image quality
This is an all in one lens and for one that goes from 28mm all the way to 300mm the quality of the images is very good. At almost all focal lengths it is a f5.6 lens so it takes 4x the light of a f2.8 zoom like the Nikon 70-200mm or a 17-55mm lens but is the same speed as the Nikon 70-300 while being a lot wider at the short zoom end.

At a focal length zoom of...
Published on October 12, 2010 by Michael Winters

‹ Previous | 110 11 1220 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One for all, March 24, 2012
Frederick Lee "Freddy" (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S Nikkor Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR (Camera)
This is one for all purpose lens for my D3s and soon expected D800E.
I do lots of landscaping but filling gap after gorgeous 14-24 2.8 was always difficult.
It was end up being 14-24, 24-70, 70-200mm but it always headache to carry those least used two heavy lens. (for landscaping)

28-300mm has extremely useful reach and reduce my back weight by half!

Great job Nikon but please make it easy to get... waiting quite a while to get this one....

5.0 out of 5 stars A handful, February 15, 2012
This is a big, powerful lens to be placed in the hands of a newbie like me. There probably should be some regulations requiring training and permitting..... But, it is fantastic, bordering on I would sleep with it but my wife would not be happy. The lens and D5100 have me in over my head with their capabilities. Whenever I go out and get a few images I cannot wait to see what they look like on the computer.

An important reminder coming from a big boy used to big boy toys: This lens is a heavy, large diameter contraption that is a real handful to hold steady. And, I don't mean my comment as a criticism...it is the nature of the beast. Just be aware of it if you decide to buy.

I am happy with my decision. I am very satisfied with the image quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Lens, October 26, 2011
In spite of all the negative reviews, I'm really enjoying this lens. I feel its a great addition to my photography gear. Focus and IQ are superb. The only complain I have so far is distortion at the low end of the range, nothing that cannot be corrected. I wish it could be a little faster. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars nikon 28-300 mm Nikkor zoom lens for digital slr, August 20, 2013
This lens is superb from the 28 mm to 300 mm limit. It focusses quickly and produces much sharper images than I had expected. Birds that I could just make out with my eyes are rendered sharply and with their bright colors. It has eliminated the use of my other prime lenses for almost all occasions. I strongly recommend this lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a good lenses if you want to bring only one camera and one lenses, April 23, 2012
I took some pictures. It take as good as the 18-200mm for DX. It's not light as I expected, but the quality of the photo is quite good. It's not the best lenses, but a good lenses to start with learning in full frame camera(consider a 18-200mm if you use a DX camera)

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Versatile, February 21, 2012
I had a few weeks to play with this lens, and I've got to say it's been a great experience. We went outdoors and we played around inside, and the range of the 28-300 works well for both. I've posted two pairs of 28mm/300mm pictures in the gallery here to give you some idea of how it zooms, and here I'll talk a bit about how well this lens has worked for me. I used a Nikon D80 body with a combination of Auto, Manual, and Aperture Priority settings, as well as different levels of zoom, some action shots, and some stills indoors and out.

Compared to my 18-200, this lens is big. It's thicker than the 18-200 and of course it's longer too. This means that the zoom lock was a very important feature for me. It also means I had to change the way I hold my camera: with the 28-300 on I'm more likely to put my hand under it to carry it, and definitely keep that hand propping it up when shooting landscape.

For my sample pictures, I took my Nikon D80 out to a local park and started shooting subjects at various levels. Wide, sweeping shots took in the subject just as well as tight long-distance photos, and manually adjusting the lens was smooth and responsive. When using Auto, the motor is very quiet and smooth. You do have to be patient a brief moment for auto-focus to kick in, but when it does you get clear, sharp focal points. For shots where my footing wasn't steady, Vibration Reduction did a great job of compensating for my mistakes. There were a couple of times I pressed the trigger and thought, "Oh, that's going to be a blurry mess--better do that again" and instead I was pleasantly surprised at the image quality.

Close up I was able to catch a waterfall in very vivid color. My full-frame shot of just the water, taken very close to where it spilled into the stream, caught interesting details, like points in the clear water where the sunlight refracted into pure blues and greens.

I think my favorite example of "Extending Your Reach" came from a shooting session around my office building. There's a parking structure, then a high cliff wall, and at the very top we have vultures who like to roost. I wanted to be able to shoot at a decent angle that wasn't pitched too steep, and I also needed to be able to catch the vultures from several hundred feet away. Where my 20-200 fell short, the 28-300 worked like a champ: I caught a group of vultures and could even make out every feather on the fanned wings of one who was sunning himself on the rocks.

The Nikon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S Nikkor Zoom Lens is a great choice. It can be pricey, but if you're looking for a good quality 300mm zoom lens that's versatile enough to take everyday close and medium shots as well, this investment does pay off.

5.0 out of 5 stars super lens, July 25, 2011
WOW, this is a fantastic lens, yeah it's heavy, but there's no such thing as a free lunch.
With its VERY great range of zoom, it's worth the extra effort carrying it around.
But wait: as it easily replaces two lenses the net result having to switch lenses less often.
Plus, it will focus down to 18 inches, at any focal length, so it makes a pretty good macro lens as well.
I've found the pictures crisp and clear and I am VERY HAPPY.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon 28-300 ED AF-S Zoom, March 23, 2011
Todd Hanks (Minneapolis, MN, US) - See all my reviews
I have not had a chance to test/compare resolution but initial shots on my D-700 seem sharp edge to edge. I can see this lens becoming my everyday lens for the 700 because of it's light weight, zoom range, full frame and it's relative low cost. If damaged, it would be easier to replace than something more expensive. It will be interesting to test using a resolution chart at low ISO and shooting RAW. The ease of purchase and cost savings on Amazon was outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Replaces my 70-300mm, January 19, 2011
I haven't had this for very long, but so far the images are very sharp. The VR II system seems to work as advertised and a bit better than my 70-200 VR 2.8.
I'll be taking it on a trip (the reason I purchased) in a couple of weeks to put it through it's paces.
So far very impressed. So much so, I'm letting my 70-300mm go.

5.0 out of 5 stars zoom range is flexible, October 7, 2010
The purpose of buying this lens is reducing the weight of my carry-on bag. I had 60lb carry-on bag in Augusts' Omak Suicide Horse Race trip, and plus one 52lb check-in bag. On September's Colorado Fall Color Drives, my carry-on bag reduce to 30lb without check-in bag.
Overall, I am very pleased with this lens. The zoom range is flexible; I do not need change lenses frequently.
The lens is still creep, but much better than 18-200mm DX (sold on eBay).
For the VR II, I only can get sharp image at 300mm of 1/125s.
Image at sun light is sharp; image is not good when at shadow area @ 300mm.
At this price range, you do not need ask more (compare to Canon $2400).

‹ Previous | 110 11 1220 | Next ›