5.0 out of 5 stars The best Nikon 35mm
Published 7 months ago by Brett Maxwell

3.0 out of 5 stars A little wider... on D7100
*** 3 Stars, because of its price ***

Why buy a 35mm FX (Full Frame) lens?

Published 5 months ago by Ajeet K. Sahu

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Nikon 35mm, February 11, 2014
This review is from: Nikon 35mm f/1.8G ED AF-S FX NIKKOR Lens (Electronics)
I've owned every autofocus 35mm lens for Nikon. First the 35/2D, then the 35/1.8G (DX, on both DX and FX), then the 35/1.4G, most recently the 35/1.4 Sigma, and now I just received the brand new 35/1.8G FX. The Sigma is still the best of the bunch in terms of image quality and build quality, but this one is my new favorite because I value the smaller size and lighter weight. I've only had it a few hours, but I've run through a battery of image quality and autofocus tests, and this lens excels.

If I run into any problems I'll update this listing, but for now I can confidently say that Nikon has impressed me again with their f1.8 primes, of which this is the perfect compliment to the 85/1.8G.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this lens matched up to my D610, July 12, 2014
This review is from: Nikon 35mm f/1.8G ED AF-S FX NIKKOR Lens (Electronics)
I love this lens matched up to my D610. I have it on all the time and it a great walking lens too. From portraits to car photos to event photography this is phenomenal. I had the Sigma 35mm 1.4 lens but after about 6 feet it had major focus shift issues so it was pretty much useless. This is great and tack sharp at all length and much much lighter too. I highly recommend this lens even over the mighty 24-70.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have a variety of good Nikon glass, July 13, 2014
This review is from: Nikon 35mm f/1.8G ED AF-S FX NIKKOR Lens (Electronics)
I have a variety of good Nikon glass, including my standby 2.8 24-70 FX zoom. This has become my go-to lens though. I have a 50mm which I felt was a little too long for some situations and a little too short on others, on my D800 FX sensor camera. This works great - wide enough to capture most anything I want to within reason, and sure, it isnt long enough to get in real close to everything, but for traveling or family shots, it works great. Sure, carrying this plus a longer lens or a zoom sort of defeats the purpose of traveling with, say, the 24-70, as it is two arguably smaller lenses versus one large, heavy one... But if you know your limitations and accept them, this sure makes great shots that also travels much easier. The 50mm lenses are smaller and travel better, but I believe the 35mm is a better compromise for travel and family shots, even on full-frame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Capturing ALMOST what the natural eye can see, September 10, 2014
This review is from: Nikon 35mm f/1.8G ED AF-S FX NIKKOR Lens (Electronics)
I love this lens. I just recently went full frame and i can't believe what i was missing. This lens helps me capture "real life" so well. I love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great lens, I currently have a D7100 but I ..., August 3, 2014
This review is from: Nikon 35mm f/1.8G ED AF-S FX NIKKOR Lens (Electronics)
Great lens, I currently have a D7100 but I can still use the lens and the sharpness of it, even with the 1.5x factor of using a FX lens on a DX body.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharp, June 12, 2014
This review is from: Nikon 35mm f/1.8G ED AF-S FX NIKKOR Lens (Electronics)
This is a great lens have really just started using it. The performance is really good on my D800 but for some reason seems to shine better on my D700. Will have to keep comparing to see if this stays true.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 19, 2014
LOVE!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A little wider... on D7100, April 19, 2014
*** 3 Stars, because of its price ***

Why buy a 35mm FX (Full Frame) lens?

I own a D7100 (a DX body) along with 85mm and 50mm f1.8 FX primes, and these are too narrow on D7100 for group shots, effectively portrait solutions only. I wanted something little wider so that I can also shoot small group of people, indoors (like dinners, small gatherings etc..) and outdoors to keep things in context (read on). 35mm on DX is nearly equivalent to NORMAL 50mm on FX for angle of view.

NIKON f1.8 FX lenses (28/35/50/85mm) are better aligned with ENTRY LEVEL full frame (FX) cameras like D600/D610 to keep the cost low for the package/kit. This package will deliver 90% of the results of what you will get with pro camera/bodies and lenses, but pro kit will cost you at least FOUR times as much. If you are not a pro or if your don't have disposable money then go for the f1.8 series of lenses.

Why did I buy this lens?

First reason other than I don't have a 35mm is, summer is around and I will have more chances to shoot outdoors, else I would have waited for a deal. This 35mm FX is light and is fairly well built (metal mount, rubber sealing) and is on par with other f1.8 lenses. Second reason is that I will upgrade to FX body fairly soon, so it didn't make sense for me to buy 35mm DX even though it costs only a third of the FX.

To me lenses have only two uses while considering focal length and aperture... First is to KEEP BACKGROUND OUT OF CONTEXT and second is to KEEP BACKGROUND IN CONTEXT. First one almost always about portraits and lenses with wide aperture will help you BLUR the background and will effectively keep attention on your subject and making it out of context from the background due to blur. This can be achieved by wide aperture, long focal length/smaller angle of view and in a studio with backdrops with appropriate lighting. Second is when you want the subject to be in context of the background.. like a scenic one, or a Grand Canyon or a Brooklyn Bridge in your back and you want that too to be sharp in the photo. 50mm and 85mm are good at achieving the "First" and 35mm will give the "Second" along with wide angle of view.

My review of the lens (after one week of use)
Pros
1. Its wide(FX)/normal(DX) standard
2. Large aperture f1.8, good for lowlight and videos.
3. Fairly well built (compared to zoom kits)
4. Focuses fast enough
5. Sharp photos
6. ED element

Cons
1. Expensive for the value, they could have given nano coating for the money
2. It will not survive an accidental fall (but thats common to all f1.8s from NIKON)
3. Manual focus ring makes some sound.

My recommendation
Buy this lens only if you have or will be buying a full frame (FX) body else DX 35mm is good enough and/or wait for a deal to come. I consider this lens at least 200-300 USD more expensive than what I would like to spend on something of this value. In my opinion one should own 35mm and 85 mm if your camera is DX/Crop Sensor (like D3000/D5000/D7000 series) or 50 and 100/105 mm if your camera is FX/Full Frame (like D600/D800/D3/D4 series). Never underestimate zoom lens as they are very handy.. and I do own wide, normal and telephoto zooms.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring rendering, April 23, 2014
This review is from: Nikon 35mm f/1.8G ED AF-S FX NIKKOR Lens (Electronics)
I had hoped it would render as beautifully as my 50/1.8G. It's clear from the early samples that it does not. I returned it.

3.0 out of 5 stars not good for the price, February 20, 2014
This review is from: Nikon 35mm f/1.8G ED AF-S FX NIKKOR Lens (Electronics)
i own nikon d800 i bought this lens to replace my 35mm 1.8g dx which worked great fro fo th fx but with vignetting wich can be corrected in lightroom, this lens is much better at vignetting but the 35mm dx is sharper and 400$ less expensive so i returned it and kept the dx lens
if you own fx camera an gonna use it at f 1.8-3 and your gonna fix the vignetting on lightroom i recomend the dx lens
if your gonna use it at f 8 the vignetting is not fixable you have to crop the picture
and never think about buying this lens if you have dx camera the dx model is sharper lighter and cheaper

Nikon 35mm f/1.8G ED AF-S FX NIKKOR Lens