Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on January 31, 2011
This is a Neutral Clear lens designed for keeping your lens intact.

Most people should know that DSLR lens have a protective coating which wears away slightly every time you clean the lens. As such, most people usually buy a UV filter to cover the lens.

This lens is as clear as invisible. I place it on a sheet of white paper and see no discolorations at all. If there wasn't a black ring and simply the glass, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't notice it.

I recommend this for everyone who's looking to protect their lens. Lens are more expensive than camera bodies most of the time, so preserving them would be in the best interest of anyone who is interested in doing photography with DSLR cameras.

I've purchased this in 52mm and 67mm, and both are very much crystal clear, multi-coated. If you don't want a UV filter, you can get this one instead.
on July 12, 2012
I bought this instead of the much less expensive Tiffen filter because of the great review of this product and the poor reviews of the Tiffen filter complaining of green artifacts from light sources.

I am pleased with the quality of the filter. It even comes with a nice hard plastic protective case for storage when not in use. I became disappointed when I began taking some test shots with the new filter on. I could immediately see green lens flare artifacts in about 50% of the photos I was taking that included a bright point light source.

If the picture includes a lighting fixture, lamp pole, car headlight, etc, in my experience there is about a 50% chance of the picture being compromised with annoying green artifacts. I am disappointed because I intentionally paid more for this filter with the expectation it would be free from this effect. I'll probably return the filter and shoot with the lens naked and just be careful.
44 comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 25, 2007
Fits my Nikon D40 Nikor lens perfect
no noticeable change in picture quality or lighting
a must have for any lense
should've gotten this when i first bought my camera
on May 15, 2013
I own 3 Nikkor Lenses and 3 of these filters. I own the Nikkor 18 - 55mm, Nikkor 55 - 200mm and 35mm lenses. Each time I purchase a lens I purchase this filter for it at the same time and I never take it off. The reason for having a filter for each lens is pretty plain and simple... what good is a filter for protection if you are constantly exposing the lens while you switch filters when changing lenses during a shoot? Once the filter is taken off the lens, even for a brief amount of time, it is exposed to the elements of your surroundings. No matter how quickly, which that in itself can cause accidents due to being in a rush, once the filter is removed the lens is subject to dust, lint, sand, or any of the many thousands of things that cause damage to a lens including finger prints, scratches and so on.

I have read all the reviews on here so let me shed some light on a few things. First of all it is true when you take the filter out of the packaging it is so clear it looks like they forgot to put the glass in it. I am very picky about my gear and getting things right the first time so I have taken plenty of photos with and without the filter and only a few rare times were there a slight lens flare with the filter on. Those very rare occasions were not enough for me to ditch the filter and take a chance of scratching or otherwise having any damage to my lens.

The other thing I keep reading over and over is the high cost. This baffles me because I normally use B&W which is extremely expensive and I was very concerned purchasing this filter at the low cost of the price. After reading the reviews and going on the Nikon name alone I thought I'd give it a try and I am glad I did. This filter is less costly than the B&W and in my humble opinion works equally if not better than the aforementioned brand.

The old saying penny wise pound foolish applies here in that paying $200 for a lens and not the additional $20 to protect it is a very foolish decision.

The last thing that I would like to remark on is clear/neutral, UV, Polarizing, etc filters are not the same and will alter or not alter your photos depending on which you so choose. These days, especially the higher end lenses are multi coated, and really do not require a UV filter like they did long ago pre digital camera's and the early digital camera's. The clear/neutral filter such as this filter is basically for one reason, to protect your investment of the lens. If you slam your lens on the concrete or drop it off the 3rd floor of a building the filter isn't going to do much to save that lens however it will protect it from dust, dirt, sand, finger prints, etc from everyday usage.

These are just my opinions so just take them for what they are.
on April 6, 2013
Nikon says these neutral color filters (NC) are intended for everyday use to protect your lens glass. Other filters could do this for a little less money perhaps, but the anti-glare coating on the Nikon filters is amazing. When you first open the package, it looks like they forgot to put the glass in the aluminum rings. You really have to look at them from an oblique angle to get any reflection whatsoever from the glass. These filters are top quality. They will protect your lens glass and reduce reflection and glare considerably.
on February 7, 2011
I like the fact that it's made by Nikon. Other than that, it's a clear filter... it fits perfectly on my 35mm f/1.8 AF-S lens... I haven't noticed any degradation in my shots since screwing it in. I don't plan on ever taking it off not even to put a Polarizing filter on it since it has threads on the outside to stack more filters onto it.

It comes in a very nice case that I'll never use again.

Overall, I can't complain.
on February 2, 2015
This NC filter does exactly what it's meant for. Protects the lens and I can't tell it's there. So clear I thought the glass was missing when I took it out of the box. If you want to protect your lens buy this now!
on May 22, 2013
This filter is the Nikon original manufactured in Japan. No glare and great to protect my 35 mm/1.8 prime lens. I cannot tell I have the filter on in my picture quality.

I cleaned my lens carefully prior to attaching the screw on filter so I wouldn't have dust particles between the lens and this filter. I think this filter is great for me especially when I take pictures at the coast. I feel much better about cleaning a filter than a lens if I have to clean at all.

Make sure that this filter gets installed gently and completely flush. It could be easily possible to get the thread incorrectly on. Do not force it. Unscrew and set it again. I hold the lens vertically with the lens down. Then I screw in the filter gently. It will be completely flush once completely installed (no thread visible).

The product itself came directly from Amazon and was definitely brand new. The filter was clean and without issues.

The filter does what I want it to do, the quality is great, so therefore I rated it 5 stars.
on September 19, 2013
I wanted a filter that would protect my lens, but what I hadn't expected was that you must be careful that the threads in the filter are correctly aligned with the lens when you screw on the filter.

I was shooting at Pike Place Market in Seattle on a crowded Wednesday afternoon when three cruise ships were in port. The place was packed with tourists, and several times I had to cover my camera with my hand just so it wouldn't get whacked by someone trying to rush past me. Unfortunately, someone's elbow came up and hit my lens. The filter popped off and went zooming onto the ground amidst many people trying to finesse their way through the crowd. When I bent down to pick up the filter, surprisingly, it wasn't broken.

I cleaned off the filter and when space allowed, I found a quiet nook in the market where I could reattach the filter to my lens. Long story, but the message is to make sure the filter is correctly attached before you venture out. The threads on the filter are very fine, and it's easy to "think" that it's attached securely, even when it isn't.
on February 7, 2010
If you are going to spend alot of money on a nice camera you NEED a filter for your lens. About 20 years ago I dropped my Canon AE-1, and the $12.00 skylight filter was smashed, but the camera lens made it through just fine. A cheap insurance policy to say the least, and you can't even tell there is a filter on in the first place! Great product and fast shipping to boot!