Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on May 6, 2008
As noted by another reviewer, AT FIRST, I too thought there was no way to attach these to the Nikon Monarch strap anchors as the clips are too thick. However, Nikon includes a small plastic bag containing 2 small metal rings (much like heavy duty key rings) which attach to the bino anchors and the clips then attach to them. It works perfectly and I'm sure makes it workable for just about any set of bino's. I would note that I almost overlooked these rings as the small bag had fallen onto the floor when I openned the package up. Once I saw them it became obvious what they were for. Perhaps these went unnoticed by the previous reveiwer or were missing entirerly.

Overall a quality product. Maybe a simple diagram of the attachment point would resolve any confusion.
33 comments|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 8, 2013
I bought my first Nikon Prostaff Binocular harness in 2006 through Amazon and have used it extensively (hundreds of hours in the past 7 years) with Nikon Monarch 10 x 42 (3 years) and Nikon MonarchX 10.5 x 45 (last four years) binoculars, as well as Nikon DSLR cameras with moderately large (300 mm) telephoto lens attached. The harness has worked extremely well, keeping my expensive optics near my chest for hands-free, and swing free, carrying. This is especially important when moving through uneven terrain, where bending over and climbing would otherwise cause my binoculars to swing down and away from me, possibly catching branches or hitting the ground. It also is much more comfortable on your back than a neck strap, if you are going to be wearing your binoculars for extended periods (I sometimes wear them for 6-8 hrs/day).

After all that use, the elastic is now beginning to stretch and I've finally started to shorten the straps to compensate. I suspect this will continue to be an issue and eventually they will be less functional. Still, seven years of heavy use is pretty good, and I've just ordered another one, figuring I can still use the old one as a dedicated harness for my camera.

I have one minor issue to note. The metal rings that you put on your binoculars for attachment to the plastic harness clips may squeak a bit as you are walking. A very slight application of silicon or teflon lubricant will alleviate the problem for a while, so keep this in mind if stealth is important.

All in all, I've been very happy with these and couldn't imagine going back to a regular neck strap. I have no way to compare to other harness systems, as this is all I've ever needed or used.

A quick update having just received my new harness. I differs in two ways.

First, the attachments for your binoculars are now leather loops, rather than metal rings. I will try to post a couple pictures. This should reduce the squeaking I mentioned above, but I wonder about durability. There were four of them included and I will toss the metal rings into my binocular case as a back up.

Also, the back "spreader" is black, with a white "Nikon" logo (as shown in the item image), rather than the black on yellow pattern of the original set.
review image review image review image
on March 14, 2007
I bought this harness because of the connecting straps from the harness to the binoculars. I have compact binoculars and wanted the extention straps for a better fit. The set I received did not have the extention straps included. The harness was the same as all the other harnesses I could buy locally for much less money with the only difference being the name on the back. If you are buying these because of the extention straps, you should email the seller first to make sure the straps are included before spending the extra dollars. They were well made, just not the same item as shown in the picture.
33 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2007
This is a decent, pretty standard bino harness. If you're still using the neck strap, the benefits of the harness are that you don't have a sore neck at the end of the day, your binos don't bounce and swing on your chest as you walk or do other activities, and it slightly stabilizes your grip while viewing. The harness is highly superior to the neck strap!!!

Down sides of this model: The quick-release clasps are actually a little tricky to unclasp. Maybe this is a good thing if you have super-expensive binos, but I find it a little frustrating. Also, the plastic strap-junction pieces aren't designed quite as ergonomically as they could be. There's a big "Nikon" logo on the back that I wish wasn't there. But if you find it for a competitive price, go for it.

Another downside: The bino harness makes you look like you're some tool thinking he's tough because he's wearing a pseudo-gun-holster (ie Gareth Keenan's cell phone holster in "The Office").
VINE VOICEon May 29, 2008
I had the same issue others addressed here. At first, I could not find a way to attach it. the snaps are too big. But then I too found the little plastic bag with the two keyring like rings in it. Not the easiest to install on the binos...but worked like a charm once I did.

Why...oh why...does Nikon not include some instruction? I also overlooked the rings at first. And was not totally sure what you were suppose to do with them until I read the other reviews here.
So one star off for that lousy customer assistance on the part of Nikon.

But as to the product itself, once you have that figured it, well it works swell. Very comfortable, easily adjusted, and makes wearing the binos, especially for extended periods of time, very nice.
on February 11, 2009
The elastic pieces were not cut to the same length. Therefor, there is an 8" difference in strap adjustment lengths. This made it almost impossible, without the help of someone else, to adjust the straps by yourself. The NIKON shoulder pad on one side was not able to pad the shoulder because it could not slide over plastic strap adjuster 'thing'; it had to be 8 inches higher on that side. The plastic clips are CHEAP, to say the least, and using a metal keyring and a plastic connector was also cheap. GREAT idea, but since I bought mine I have seen several other higher quality harnesses. I would definitely NOT recommend this product.
on August 10, 2009
I bought this harness as a gift for my son. I was looking for a harness with the connecting straps that are shown in the picture. What we got was a decent harness without the connecting straps.

While the harness is ok, I'm very disappointed with Amazon. The inaccurate picture feels a lot like a bait and switch. I certainly wouldn't have ordered this harness based on the picture that's actually on the packaging. No fault of Nikon's, but I can't say the same for Amazon.

Also, the processing and shipping time on this order was crazy. Over ten days before the order was even ready to ship. I'm a long-time Amazon customer and used to be quite of fan of their customer service, but sadly, I just can't say that anymore.
on March 8, 2007
The Harness is great. There is no strain on my neck. It felt great.
on March 23, 2010
I used the harness for the first time last weekend. Steep 6 mile hike. My bino's hung in there just great. No chaffing from a neckstrap. They didn't bounce around. When I pulled them up to my eyes the elastic strap made this an easy maneuver. I had them hanging there for about 6 hours (didn't take them off for lunch break). No pain, no discomfort.
on September 9, 2014
I bought this harness based on the picture posted. It shows some extra webbing that interfaces between the bino and the harness. Instead, I got some lame plastic clips and these flimsy looking leather pieces. Very disappointed. I saw a comment that had a similar issue in 2007. I figured they might have corrected this issue. I was wrong.