Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Nikon 7072 Lens Pen Cleaning System
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Color: Black|Size: One Size|Change

on December 22, 2006
If you haven't used a lens pen, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised -- it works well. The description doesn't make it very clear that this product has TWO different cleaning tools, one at each end. The brush, which retracts, is to take off dust particles. Hidden in the other end is a soft pad with a cleaning agent to remove fingerprints and more serious dirt, hopefully without damaging the anti-reflection coating on your lens.

My only reservation is that this particular "Cleaning System" is a bit overpriced (at the time I wrote this review, Amazon was selling it for about $21). Essentially identical double-ended Lens Pens without the Nikon name attached cost $8-$10 from many sources, including Amazon (search "Lens Pen"), so you're paying quite a lot to impress your friends ;-)

One more thought: another reviewer mentioned cleaning his lens daily with this product. That's not such a great idea. Camera lenses, and especially their anti-reflection coatings, are quite fragile. The more often you clean your lens, the more likely you'll damage the coating, or even scratch the lens due to a small dirt particle on the cleaning pad (likewise, NEVER clean a lens with bathroom tissues, since they contain tiny, hard wood chips).

The fact is, a moderate amount of dust and dirt on your lens does NOT affect the pictures you take, since anything that close to the lens is so out of focus.

PS -- Here's an update: I just got an Adorama Camera catalog that lists this lens pen, WITH the Nikon name, for $6.50! Imagine that.
1313 comments|592 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 12, 2005
does exactly what it's supposed to, and does it well.

to use:

1. with one end, extend the brush, and wipe debris away.

2. twist the cap on the other end, and take it off. with that end, wipe in a circular motion, and smudges get polished away.
0Comment|273 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2004
This is a easy to use lens cleaning device.

You use the bush end to remove any debris from the lens, and the pad end to remove fingerprints and the like.

The bush is retractable and soft enough not to damage lenses.

The pad is treated (coated) in such a way as to remove fingerprints without leaving smudges.

I have had excellent results using the Nikon Lens Pen on my Sony DSC F-828 digital camera. However it is important to note that the pad end is much too big to use on the electronic viewfinder (or anything else less than about a half an inch in diameter).

The Nikon Lens Pen appears to be identical to many other LensPens out there (they all seem to be identical except for branding and coloration). Perhaps they are all manufactured by one company (perhaps other than Nikon)?
11 comment|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 29, 2008
For the price, the tool is not bad. The brush works well around the edges of the lens, but take care not to touch it as, even clean hands, will leave a bit of grease on the brush and it does smear the lens. I'm not entirely impressed by the round tip 'polishing' tool. I ordered 2 of these pens and 2 'Lenspens' (by the way - they are absolutely identical and I'm sure they come from the same factory, just with different brands - don't be fooled by the price difference). So far I used one Nikon pen and one Lenspen and both left a bit of 'ghost-smearmarks' on my lenses - not impressive at all. After using the pens I always have to give the lenses a wipe with a cleaning cloth also.

I would approve the use of this tool though, as there is no other way to safely get into the tight corners of the lens area (not with a cloth anyway), and also on the sensor side of the lens where you have even less space to work, this does come in handy.

As closing remark - I will not get anywhere close to a sensor with this pen. It is not being sold as a sensor cleaner, but just in case you were wondering...
on April 2, 2006
Of course, this is not world's the most sophisticated lens cleaning system. However, it is one very handy package that takes very little room in your bag and works with reliable and predictable results. I would not use this pen to clean lens that was subjected to what would be considered heavy levels of dirt, but it works well, cleaning those occasional smudges that you get on the lens when a 3-year old decides to touch lens with his finger or a droplet of water dries on the lens.
on July 8, 2013
I have used this all of three times since getting it yesterday - I originally gave it a 4 star review but now that I've used it a few times I hate it and wish I kept the packaging so I could send it back. The brush is throwing hairs all over EVERYTHING. It's so poorly made! I just spent an obscene amount of time trying to get the hairs OFF my lens because they stick and won't come off, and of course I'm trying not to use too much pressure trying to get them off for fear of scratching my lens. See my video review!
VINE VOICEon April 1, 2006
As an eyeglasses wearer and photographer, clean and scratch free lenses is important to me. This tool sweeps away scratch making surface debris with the soft brush on one end and then polishes away smudges with a suction-cup-like device on the other. I have no idea (nor do I need to know) how this thing works but I know it does.

Hasn't scratched yet - and it's dirt cheap.
55 comments|37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 18, 2006
I use this pen on my Canon S2 IS camera and Canon 17-40mm f/4L lens. It does the job well. The brush side is great for brushing away the dust and the otherside is used to clean smears and smudges. No liquid or microfiber cloth needed with this pen. The cleaning side is concaved to meet the curves of the lens. So this brush isn't really meant for filters even though I have used it to clean my Hoya UV and Hoya cir-polarizer filters.

I am planning on buying two more of these. one for my bag and one for my car as I tend to get my cleaning pen at home.
review image review image
on April 22, 2006
It works prety good specially when you want to clean a small spot on your lens just when you are about to shoot. It's very convenient and easy to carry on.

Be carefull of not pulling brush hairs as they will come off quite easy and will start losing other hairs from then on.
on January 26, 2005
Hi, bought this items to fill te 25$ to get free shipping when buying a case for my camera, a Canon Powershot S1 IS.

I own a Scope and i had some Eye Pieces with some fingerprints (I'm kind of dumy without my night vision fixed!!!) I used the Nikon lens pen to remove those fingerprints and the result was absolutely awesome. I have used it wtih my camera too! I'm really pleased with the results.... now i'm carrying it with my camera and with my scope... it's easy to use, small, usefull, cheap... I totally recomend it!