5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTLY THE BEST BINOCULARS AT THIS PRICE RANGE
Nikon Action 8x40

Nikon's Action series has always been their entry level effort. The series has gone through some pretty radical changes over the years. Nikon seems to be much more adventuresome at this price point than they are in their top of the line products. The latest Action binoculars all feature aspheric lens technology.

The Action 8x40 is...
Published on September 23, 2005 by C. J. Campbell

2.0 out of 5 stars Use With Care
These binoculars are very good in image quality, fit and finish. The case and strap it comes with is also nice, but they are not very shock proof. I don't mean rough using or deliberately being careless with these binoculars, but in normal and regular use the optics become misaligned and the image is out of the field of view or can not be focused. For the price of $81...
Published on May 7, 2010 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTLY THE BEST BINOCULARS AT THIS PRICE RANGE, September 23, 2005
C. J. Campbell (Redford twp., Mi United States) - See all my reviews
Nikon Action 8x40

The Action 8x40 is probably the glass of most interest to birders. It is a wide angle design, with 8.5° of field (that translates to 446 feet at 1000 yards), a close focus in the 12 foot range and eye relief of about 10mm. The limited eye relief means that spectacle wearers will not see the full field (what else is new?)...but the usable field for most people will still be relatively wide when compared to most 8x40s on the market (especially in this price range). The body is mat gray armored. The smooth armor is sufficiently tacky to provide a good grip, but some gripping aids (ridges or patterns) might have made it more secure in the hands. Body design is standard porroprism, and comfortable in the hands, with a large comfortable ribbed focus control. However the focus might be a stretch for those with real small hands.

Optically, the Nikon Action 8x40 gives the extra bright, extra sharp first impression that I have come to associate with Nikon's applications of aspheric technology. While the view is not the equal of that provided by glasses like the Swift Ultralite 8x42 glasses which cost over twice as much as the Nikon Action 8x40, it is certainly very close.

When compared to the current BVD Reference Standard for bargain binoculars, the Bushnell 8x42 NatureView, the Nikon Action 8x40 is slightly brighter, with a bit more snap (likely due to the lack of multi-coating on the NatureView). The NatureView, however, has much better eye relief and a bit more comfortable view. While the NatureView retains its Reference Standard designation for the moment, the Nikon Action 8x40 are certainly very fine binoculars in the same price range...a BVD Starred Product, highly recommended to anyone who wants bird-worthy binoculars on a budget. Really, if you start birding with the Egrets, it may be a long time before you feel the need to upgrade, and it will certainly spoil you for many a lesser glass that just happens to cost more.

The Nikon Action series binoculars utilize aspherical lenses, ergonomic chassis, and quick central focus to maximize long term viewing comfort. All models feature high light transmission, multicoated lenses and high index BaK-4 prisms for superior resolution and brightness.

Buy them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pair of binoculars for the price., October 3, 2005
Todd (Massachusetts USA) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a medium-powered pair of binoculars for back yard astronomy. I had picked up a pair of Bushnell 10X50's for a few dollars less than the Nikon's and I was disappointed with the quality (there was something wrong with the optics... could not get them to ever completely focus). I promptly returned them and picked up these. What a difference! They were much clearer than the Bushnell's, and the focus is extremely sharp in the center. I take them out just about every night and they offer me a great view of the sky. If you're looking for a good all-around pair of binoculars that's worth more than what you're paying, look no further!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best pair of binoculars I tried regardless of price!, May 20, 2008
This review is from: Nikon 7216 Action 8x40mm Binoculars (Electronics)
Pros:

Super low price
Super sharp view
Ultra Bright view
Nice case with belt loop
Pretty light weight for 8 x 40 binoculars

Cons:

Too large to carry far
Too heavy to carry very far
Have to take my glasses off to use
Not fog or water proof no big deal if you live in southern Arizona like I do

I know nothing about binoculars (I didn't even know what 8 x 40 means!) but wanted something to replace the old binoculars I inherited from my dad who purchased his pair 45 years ago. They were very heavy and very large and when watching birds in my back yard feeder they got very heavy very quickly.

I started out by going to the store and trying every single pair of binoculars they had starting with the most expensive since I thought, well, they must be the best. And they had some very expensive ones there with image stabilizers and laser range finders and who knows what all else.

The sales guy was very patient (he was from a different dept and didn't know anything either) and even looked with me through each and every one. We were amazed to find that the Nikon Action 8 x 40 were the absolute best of the batch they had in the store including the ones that cost hundreds of dollars. They seemed to be the right balance of view, sharpness and brightness.

When I got them home I found them to be brighter, sharper, and clearer and slightly lighter then my dad's old binoculars. As a bonus because of the rubberized coating I found I could lean the front of them against the window and stabilize the view and support some of the weight. The old ones were metal and I didn't feel as comfortable scrapping them against the window.

I can't comment on the neck strap and I will never use it because of my bad back. I found that hanging anything around my neck caused my back to ache so I hand carry them if I take them anywhere but I mainly use them from the window looking into the back yard or carry them in our SUV.

I also like the fact that one set of the eye cups are joined together allowing me to pull them both off at the same time. I wish the other end was this way. Anyway it's one step less then pulling all 4 off the old set.

In closing I highly recommend at least for backyard birding and the price is amazing!!

11-30-2008 Update:

Ok I have been studying Binoculars and I now know what 8 x 40 means. I've also had a chance to use these binoculars for awhile now and here are my findings.

I still love these binoculars but have found them to be a little heavy since I have a bad back and a little large to carry around. They weigh 26.8 oz which isn't bad for large binoculars and they are pretty big but I knew that when I bought them. So I'm going to be buying something a little lighter (10 oz or lighter) and smaller for carrying away from the house or car that hopefully has similar characteristics but in an easier to carry with you package. I will come back to post when I get the chance.

12-1-2008 Update:

Went to the local large sporting good store so I can try out smaller binoculars before I purchase a lighter pair on Amazon.com. I had the clerk pull out a pair of these Nikon Action 8 x 40's to compare because I knew how well they work out in the field. Once again I was absolutely amazed at the quality and clear view of the Nikon Action 8 x 40 against much higher priced smaller and lighter Binoculars. There seems to be a point where going smaller you just can't do a lot better. When I do finally find a small light pair that somehow can compete I will report back here.

Also I have to remove my glasses to use these binoculars, but for the price hey I can put up with that. When I buy the smaller lighter pair I will report back with what I found.

I have also seen better binoculars now at the store but they cost more, a LOT more like $650 more!

12-3-2008 Update:

Went to the store and tested a lot of different small binoculars trying to find a pair that are almost as good as my Nikon Action 7216 8x40's and found the perfect one. If you need small and want a good view and a good price get the Nikon 7508 Travelite 8 X 25mm V Binoculars. They are: light (8.9 oz), fit the hand well are well made and very bright in the viewfinder for their size. No they aren't as bright as the Nikon Action 8 x 40 and they don't have as big a field of view but they aren't anywhere near as big or heavy either, you can always carry them with you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sharp, Bright, Light Weight and Economical Binoculars, December 16, 2011
Morgan Davies (Scarborough, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon 7216 Action 8x40mm Binoculars (Electronics)
Before you purchase binoculars, it is a good idea to think about how you will use them so you can choose a pair that meet your needs.

After a lot of comparison shopping I chose the Nikon Action 8x40mm Binoculars as a gift for a friend because they have what he wanted from a general use binocular:

1. Sharp, bright optics with porro prism.
2. 5mm exit pupil (to match 50+ year old eyes).
3. Good mechanical quality.
4. Light weight.
5. Close focus.

These are NOT rugged, waterproof sporting binoculars. If that's what you need (for boating or hunting?) maybe you should keep looking. Otherwise, don't drop them in a lake!

What I want most from binoculars are quality optics. I was pleasantly surprised by both the optical and mechanical quality at this price point.

A lot of folks don't know what binoculars numbers refer to. The first number refers to the magnification. The second number refers to the size of the objective lens - the big lens. 8x40 binoculars magnify 8x, and have 40mm objective lenses.

Exit pupil is something to consider. This is calculated by dividing the second number by the first. For 8x40 binoculars: 40/8 = 5mm about the same as the entrance pupil of your eye if you are age 50 plus.

If you are young and you don't mind carrying around some extra glass, you may consider binoculars with a large 7mm exit pupil that matches the large entrance pupil of your young eyes. This has no advantage during the day, but it can be helpful at twilight, for astronomy. You might consider:

7x50
8x56
10x70

But be forwarned - the bigger the binocular, the more weight you carry around. You may prefer smaller, lighter binoculars for hiking or travel. Also keep in mind that at 10x you may need a tripod to hold your binoculars steady for the best views. Hand held, 10x binoculars shake so much that you may see just as much with 7x or 8x binoculars. For me, hand held, 8x is ideal.

If you are age 50 years plus, the pupil of your eye will probably not open more than about 5mm, so you get no benefit from a big, heavy pair of binoculars with a 7mm exit pupil. Consider lighter binoculars with a 5mm exit pupil, that matches your eyes such as:

7x35
8x40
10x50

Roof prism binoculars can be made small, but they are difficult and expensive to make properly. They also can not deliver as much light to your eye as a classic poro prism binocular of the same size and magnification. So if you want a bright, high quality image for a modest price, poro prism binoculars, like the Nikon Action 8x40 CF Binocular, may be your best choice. The only disadvantage of poro prism binoculars is they are larger than roof prism binoculars of the same size.

Close focus allows you to have look at wildlife at very close range. Not only can these Nikons focus close (around 8 feet or 3 meters), but the focus is smooth and precise, unlike many modestly priced binoculars I have tried. In fact, I found them the best constructed binoculars I found in this price range.

These binoculars are surprisingly light weight, which can be quite a benefit when you are hiking a long trail.

All in all, I found these Nikons delivered exactly what I wanted for a surprisingly modest price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Binoculars, September 8, 2005
These are wonderful binoculars. Rugged, and easy to use, these binoculars have great clarity, as much magnification as you can get without spending thousands of dollars, and come with a 20 year guarantee from one of the best optic producers in the world. You really can't go wrong on this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great binoculars!, June 5, 2009
This is for the Nikon Action 12x50 binoculars. I am not a hard-core bird watcher, nor do I hold myself out to be overly knowledgeable about binoculars. I use binoculars to look at the landscape and wildlife in my backyard and on vacations -- at distances from 20ft. to approx. 1 mile. My previous binoculars were an old (probably 15 years old) pair of 10x50 Bushnells.

After reading hundreds of reviews here at Amazon, and googling and reading binocular reviews at other sites, I bought these Nikons. They are much better than the old Bushnells I have! I would imagine that a new pair of Bushnells would also be better than my old ones, due to technological progress, so I realize it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

After reading reviews and giving thought to how I use binoculars, I decided to go with the Nikons. My only dilemma was whether to get the 10x or the 12x. The hesitation came from other reviewers stating that with anything over 10x, you wouldn't be able to hold it steady enough and may need a tripod. I have not had that problem, and am extremely glad that I went with the 12x. I notice no difference in being able to steady them from the old 10x.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price + great quality!, December 1, 2006
This review is from: Nikon 7216 Action 8x40mm Binoculars (Electronics)
These are my first pair of binoculars (actually a gift for my husband who likes birding and hiking), so I didn't know much about buying such an item. I read a lot of reviews and did some looking, and these seemed to be the best quality at the best price. After using them for several months, we couldn't be more pleased. The lenses offer clear, crisp viewing, and are easy to adjust for comfortable viewing. I like that the eye cups are soft and won't scratch my glasses. It's brought a whole new dimension to our nature hikes!

4.0 out of 5 stars worth the money, October 8, 2005
I know these are a fraction of the cost of some binoculars but for amateur use the Action series are fine for everyday viewing. The Nikon name also means a lot and considering that it comes with the tripod mount, they are well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nikon Binoculars - nice quality for a reasonable price, July 31, 2006
This review is from: Nikon 7216 Action 8x40mm Binoculars (Electronics)
If you're looking for a set of binoculars that provide quality and yet don't cost too much, these could be what you're looking for. The image quality the optics provide is superb, the focusing dial is easy and quick to operate, and the accessories are a definite plus. The set came with a very comfortable neck strap, a handy cover case, and eyecup covers. I've used the set for lots of hikes and birding, and I'm often using the eyecup covers (which easily attach to the neck strap). The only drawbacks of the binoculars are that they're a bit heavier than I'd have preferred, and the large lens covers seem pretty useless for much of what I use the set for (since they don't easily attach to the strap like the eyecup holders, they're easy to lose , so I end up not using them much at all!). Overall, I'm really pleased with the binoculars and would recommend them to buyers who don't want to spend over $100 on a new set, but still want to get a set of quality binoculars with optics that are better than you're standard $20-30 set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great binoculars for the right applications!, December 19, 2008
I bought these binoculars primarily for astronomy use. I thought the 16x magnification, combined with the 50mm objective lenses would make for a nice set of binoculars for astronomy use, without necessarily having to always mount them on a tripod. My reasoning was that I could still handle them reasonably well (without a tripod) for short periods of time (which I can), while having high enough magnification to see some nice details of objects in the sky (which I can, "IF" I can see the object). The one problem (the "IF" in the previous sentence) I have with these binoculars for astronomy use is the fact that the exit pupil size is just a bit small (only 3.1mm) for astronomy use. What I do see in the night sky is very sharp & detailed! And, quite frankly, I've seen some stunning views of the night sky while using these binoculars. BUT, because of the smaller exit pupil size, I don't always see some of the objects (primarily stars) that I can see with a good quality set of binoculars that have a larger exit pupil size. My Celestron 15x70 binoculars work better for astronomy because of the larger exit pupil size (I see MORE because of the larger exit pupil size). But, the 70mm size binoculars are larger, and therefore, harder to hold than the Nikon 50mm set. BUT, I still love these Nikon 16x50 binoculars! They are GREAT for daytime use, early morning & early evening (because of their high twilight factor), AND I'm still able to see some stunning views of the night skies as well (and with great detail to objects like the moon)! These are TOP NOTCH binoculars for the times I've mentioned, but if you want a set for astronomy, I recommend getting a bit smaller magnification with the 50mm objective lenses (maybe 12x or 10x).

Nikon 7216 Action 8x40mm Binoculars