Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now Tikes

on June 8, 2009
I purchased these binoculars last winter for stargazing because they seemed to be the best price for what you were getting. Indeed, these 7x50s have helped me see craters on the moon, open clusters, even Jupiter's moons in decent viewing conditions. Light but sturdy, too. I am an absolute beginning amateur, so I can at least recommend them to other beginners.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 1, 2010
I received these binoculars last week. I purchased them primarily as an astronomy tool, and as such have only used them one time with clear skies. I tried using them the first night I received them even though it was cloudy. I was suprised at the number of stars visible through the clouds when using the binos. The naked eye couldn't see anything. The next night the skies were clear and the views were beautiful. I was very pleased with the views that I received. I own an 8 inch reflector telescope that I have used for the past 6 years. The aggravation of carrying it outside and getting everything setup prevents me from using it often. The ease of grabbing a pair a binos and walking outside for a look around the sky is going to be great. If I stay out for 10 minutes that's okay becuase all 10 minutes will be viewing the sky. With the telescope I can't even get it outside, get the lens caps off, eyepiece installed, and a chair setup it 10 minutes. So anything less than 30 or 45 minutes of viewing time is too little to be worth the effort. Not so with binoculars. The only thing I have to wait for is my eyes to get dark adjusted. And that isn't much of an issue because the 50mm lens give such a bright image I can start looking immediately upon going outside.

For anyone new to astronomy the temptation is always to go for high magnification. Please do not fall for this misconception. The wider angle view and brighter image from lower power is almost always more appealling. It is much easier to find a target and keep it in view as well. This is especially true with hand held binoculars. The 7x magnification of the binos are on the lower end of what is available, so a new comer might be tempted to try a higher power to get a close up view. I almost purchased 10x, but I am now very glad that I did not. It is hard to hold an image still, and the higher the magnification the harder it becomes. I think the 7x is just right.

I took a fishing trip down to the coast this weekend and carried the new binos along. The fishing was good and the views through the binoculars were excellent. They give a very bright, crisp image.

The only drawback to me is that the binoculars are a bit heavy. If you use them for extended periods of viewing expect your arms to become a bit fatigued. However, that can't be used to count against them as it is expected with the large 50mm main lens. Furthermore, they are equipped with a hole for mounting to a tripod, so that is always an option if you need help supporting them.

So far I am very pleased. The Nikon brand was a bit assuring to me that for the price I would get quality optics and they have lived up to the reputation. You can feel confident in purchasing these binoculars.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 31, 2008
Clear, bright image. Comfortable eye cups, which can be removed if you wear glasses. I do wear glasses, but my astigmatism is mild, and I am able to adjust the diopter on these binoculars to enable me to use them without my glasses. My only minor complaint is that the lens caps aren't permanently attached to the strap. Instead, they hook on to the strap after you remove them from the lenses. The hook holds them fine, but I plan to use these for sailing, and I suspect it won't be long until I drop one in rough seas while fumbling to hook it on the strap. The eyecup caps don't have this issue, since the strap goes through a loop, and they are attached permanently.
on August 18, 2008
I am interested in stargazing recently,so I need a pair of bino.
my budget is $100.
before I purchased Nikon 7*50 binocular,I searched the internet for various brands and models, it seems this one is the best considering its
ratio of performance over price.I wear a eyeglass usually,and the eye cup of this model is foldable,because it has long eye relief(17mm? I can not remember exactly).the wide field of view and great focusing power makes it very suitable for watching the night sky. the images are sharp compared with dark background ,you can see much more stars than your naked eye!I highly recommend this model to those entry level Ameteur Astromomers!
on February 19, 2011
I have the armored version, the Nikon Action 7x50 EX Extreme ATB binocular, so most of the comments you read about these will apply to those as well. I have owned those for several years now and I have enjoyed them immensely. The field of vision is good, but not fantastic. Clarity is unbelievable. But where they REALLY excel is in low light viewing (see chart on the Nikon Action 7x50 EX Extreme ATB binocular main page). I can easily see things in the dark that my naked eye just can't grab, and I have excellent night vision. Amazing how much I miss without them.

You might consider paying the fifty dollar premium and get the Nikon Action 7x50 EX Extreme ATB. This buys you rubberized armor for bumps, water-proofing and fog-proofing. This also means you won't get condensation inside when going from hot to cold or visa-versa. If you get in and out of your car or house a lot, use binoculars outdoors in the mist or rain, or take them through brush, it's worth the extra money. If you look at things through your window or only in good weather, save your money and get the Action 7 X 50.

You may want to check the chart I mentioned above. It has information on all of the pertinent specs to help you choose the right size. It applies to both the Action and Action EX Extreme series.
on March 9, 2012
I bought both. The 7x50 is unmatched for star gazing. The 7x35 is much better for normal daytime. The issue is weight and field of vision. I personally think the 7x35 is far superior for the average binocular user for birding, sports, or even theater and average daytime usage. The 7x50 is just too bright for daytime and too big for long usage. The 10x offers only slightly better magnification but at a massive cost of field of vision, weight and shakiness.

But if theater and sports is your main usage then instead go get a 4x30. They are the go to for me. I use the 7x35 for looking around. The 7x50 for star gazing. And I own a 15x70 for long range fun. Anything more powerful is a waste of money. My next step up is a real telescope.

Be honest about your needs. Binocular powers are like notes in Jazz: sometimes less is more.

BTW, here on Amazon, these amazing instruments are very affordable. By two or three. You will honestly appreciate them all.
on March 19, 2009
I bought these for watching eagles, and I love them.
The price is great, and I initially bought two for my partner and myself.I love them so much I just bought Nikon's zoom binocs for real close up viewing. These are great all around binoculars, if you are following action, you will have no problem, and the optics are so great, you feel like you are flying with the birds, or right up next to what ever you are viewing. Great product.
on July 18, 2010
This Nikon 7x50 has all the essential ingredients if you're looking to gather as much photons as possible. It offers you the best binocular views of the solar system and the deep-sky Messiers alike. The 50 mm objective gathers so much light that I got a headache when I tried some sightseeing during the day. The neck-strap, pouch and lenscaps are welcome accessories that come with the binoculars. Strongly recommended.
on October 7, 2010
I just got these from Amazon yesterday and have been having a lot of fun with them at night watching the stars. The image is sharp and I like the thumb rests on the bottom of each barrel. Quality is excellent except for one thing that nobody has mentioned in the reviews yet-that the support that holds each eyepiece to the body is made of plastic. You can gently push on each eyepiece and the plastic will flex, moving the eyepiece closer to the body. The flexing doesn't seem to cause any problems with the image but it bugs me. Everything else about them is excellent. They feel heavy duty and durable. I just wonder if anyone has broken the plastic piece or if it has caused the image to blur a little over time. Since Nikon has the 25 year warranty on them I have to have confidence that they will last. I'm taking away one star for the use of plastic in a key location that I think should have been made of metal.
on May 23, 2012
I have several different types of binoculars that I use for wild life viewing and star gazing. This is the least expensive pair and probably the best pair of binoculars I have purchased. They are durable, have great light gathering abilities and I let my kids use them without fear, unlike my more expensive Vortex and Leica binoculars. The only downside is the weight when I am out for several hours. I may purchase the 7 X 35 to shave a bit of weight off for day time viewing. I have no technical knowledge of optics, but for a basic viewer these are great.