Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 6, 2006
These are for anyone on a budget that wants to upgrade from that old pair of travel binoculars or from Uncle Fred's 1954 hand-me-downs. They are *Waterproof* (very important, it's easy to confuse these with the lower-quality Nikon Action range) and fogproof, with clear and bright images. Very solid feel and compact for a full-size Porro-prism design. The 7x35 version of the Action Extreme won the highest position in the Cornell Ornithology Lab 2005 binocular shootout out of 15 budget entries - probably because the 8x40 was not tested.

Yes, they aren't perfect - higher price will get you sharper optics, lighter weights, and slightly better handling - but at this price the only alternative I could find is the Leupold 6x30 Yosemite for around 25% less - and that model is a 6x magnification.

I'm not sure why, but many sites don't cover the warranty on these. You get excellent support from Nikon USA - a 25-year no-fault warranty with a $10 fix or replace fee for the original owner. Combined with the low price and build quality this could be the last pair of binoculars you will ever need to buy.
55 comments|193 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2007
I am a long-time birder and have used several different low- to mid-priced binoculars over the past 15 years. I bought these binoculars a month ago, have taken them out on 8-9 birding trips and and have found them to be excellent in all respects.

The binoculars are sturdy and well-balanced without being unduly heavy. The optics make for a very clear, bright image in all conditions. I particularly like that they have three click-stop adjustments for the length of viewing, making it easy for people wearing glasses to get the right length. I also very much appreciate the close-focus capability: about 9 feet, which is much closer than other pairs I have used and which makes them reasonably good for watching butterflies.

I would recommend these to any birder.
22 comments|106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 20, 2007
I am SO pleased with these binoculars. Great eye-relief for eye-glass wearers. Wide angle is as advertised, no tunnel-vision viewing! Thinking of buying a pair for my father for his cruise. Front lens caps are a problem, but just replace with hinged flip-top protectors like on sniper scopes and you're ready to go! Excellent product!
As a longtime birder I have learned the hard way that it's not a hobby for everyone. I had a close friend that when I mentioned that I was going birdwatching she looked at me, obviously puzzled, and said "Watch them do WHAT?"

However, every now and then I meet some young people who show a love for nature and it's various inhabitants. I met this particular couple through business and when they found out about my passion for winged creatures they often asked me questions about birds and birding. So I decided that a pair of binoculars and a birding guide-book would be an appropriate Christmas gift. The choice of a guide-book was easy for me but to choose a decent pair of binoculars took a little more study.

My everyday optics cost well over a thousand dollars. It was important to me that I picked a pair for my friends that was reasonably priced (I did not want to embarrass them by giving them too expensive of a gift). I also wanted to give them a gift that they would hold up well so that they could enjoy it for years to come.

I choose this pair for several important reasons:

* Porro-finder binos are not my favorite but they give much better performance than roof-prisms at this price point
* I wanted a pair that were nitrogen filled, waterproof, fogproof and shockproof
* I insisted on an all-metal chassis even though they were installed in a polycarbonate shell

Nikon is a great name, one that is easily recognized even by novices but I would have happily chosen Swifts or Pentaxs or any other lesser known brand if I thought that they gave more quality for the price. I believe that this is a great pair of all-purpose optics for the price and, after giving them an thorough test I proudly gave them as a gift to some very special people. Five stars based on both quality and value.

The Sibley Guide to Birds
on December 21, 2008
I purchased these binoculars planning to use them in inclement weather, and they work well for that purpose. With the caps over the eyepieces I can walk with them around my neck in rain or snow and have them ready for use as needed. They have been subjected to some gale force wind and rain storms with no adverse effects. Images seen through these binoculars are nice and crisp, and they are easy to focus and adjust. The only thing I do not like about them is the weight. The weight is not a problem in winter when I wear them outside my hood, but in warmer weather when the strap is right on my neck they are much heavier then I would like.
on September 11, 2010
The click-set eye-cups are nice and the eye-relief is reasonable even with glasses. Field of view is about the largest you'll get and image is bright. They are pleasant to use. Weight is about standard for this size of binocular. The downside is that there is considerable distortion or blur in the outer 1/3 to 1/4 of the field of view. Exactly what the aberration is I am not sure: it's either astigmatism or field curvature. Regardless, the edges of the field look "out of focus." However, the field of view is so large that you don't notice the distortion unless you look towards the edges. There is some chromatic aberration, but it is not particularly disturbing.

Obviously you get what you pay for and the reason these binos are relatively cheap is because of the above optical flaws. I can't say how these Nikons compare to others in the price class but I feel that they are probably very good value for money. If you're on a <$150 budget then these are probably one of your best bets. I should be clear that my rating reflects the optical quality more than the value for money because I personally would rather spend a little more cash for better optics. However, if you want to spend under two hundred bucks then these are fine binoculars.
on July 2, 2006
THE BEST BINOCULARS I HAVE OWNED,AND I HAVE HAD MANY. EXCELLENT CLARITY,GREAT FIELD OF VIEW TOO. NICE SIZE ALSO NOT TO BIG, NOT TO SMALL. YOU CANT GO WRONG WITH THIS FINE SET,HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
22 comments|50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2012
I currently have over 10 pairs of binoculars going back to the 80's(including my original pair of Nikon Travelite 9x25 compact binos). The two pair of Nikon Monarchs that I own are great roof prisms with the Monarch3 8x36 being my favorite compact roof prism vs the slightly bulkier/heavier Monarch5 10x42(which is still a great bino!) The Nikon Trailblazer 10x50 roof prism is a good tough bino but not quite the same caliber as the Monarchs so I rarely use them now. I originally bought the Nikon Action porro prism zoom 10-22x50 which impressed me so much as to the lens and build quality for the money spent that I decided to buy the these Action Extreme 8x40 binos that I am now reviewing. First off these Action Extreme binos are as apparently indestructible as you can get; fogproof, waterproof, rubber armored, super easy fast focus, clear crisp image,wide field of view and very comfortable and natural in the hands. They are of much better build quality than the plain Action 8x30 binos and are worth the extra few $$ spent in my opinion. Being as how the Action Extreme binos are built like an armored battle tank their only drawback is the slightly heavier weight(which also helps stabilize the image)and they have a very very slightly fuzzy view at the outside picture edge that you don't really notice(unless you are looking for it)but given the fact that the really wide field of view offsets this...and for the low price and high build quality these are truly great "all around" binocular bargains. If you want another great bargain check out the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 or 8x30 binos, I own both of these two Yosemite binos and the glass and image quality are amazing and at half the weight of the Nikon Action Extreme and at a great price point. However the build quality of the Yosemite binos is not as impressive as the "tanklike" easy handling, very smooth easy focusing Nikon Action Extreme 8x40 binoculars. One last thing after having used both roof prism and porro prism binos is that I find that the porro prism provides a crisper, cleaner wider image and are easier on the eyes for more extended periods of time versus the roof prisms(if you get a roof prism Do Not buy a cheap pair,you will regret it). And if you stick with quality binos from the likes of Nikon or Leupold you can't go wrong. Also the porro prism binos cost considerably less than roof prisms(the only real advantage of roofs are their more compact size). This is a kinda long review but I hope my extended side by side matchups of these best selling binos help you in your buying decision....Happy Glassing!!!
on September 2, 2008
For the money hard to beat. You can spend a lot more and buy better, but these are all I need. They are fairly good size, not your little pocket lookers.You will look very strange if you bust these our at the opera.
First time I use them was in a VIP Suite at at a football game and everyone ended up fighting over who got to use the binoculars next...Even those poeple who brought their own binoculars. They were a hit.
on November 27, 2007
I found the product to be excellant in every respect. It does everything I want it to (mostly bird watching). Its easy to adjust, and the price is right. The covers over the objective lens are hard to put on is the only negetive feature. I waited a few years for a good pair of binocs and now I have them.