5.0 out of 5 stars A Comparative Analysis of Leading Binoculars
After years of suffering with dark, weak, wobbly binoculars (thank you, Magnacraft), I found myself needing two types: the best quality I could find (1) at any weight but under $250 for use within a drive of home (home binocs), and (2) under 10 oz, easy to travel with in tour groups, simple for impatient family members, and ideal for night concerts and day baseball games...
Published on September 15, 2012 by Sam Vimes

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not excellent
Its a good bino. I needed a 10 power and compare to some of the other binos its not too bad. I have had good experience with Nikon in the past and thats why I went back to it. Amazons price was much better than what I could buy this for locally. The Strap is not all that great, the lens covers are kinda cheap and not very well designed and functional. It feels good in...
Published on September 13, 2012 by Razr

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought these for Alaska vacation, September 3, 2012
This review is from: Nikon 7540 Monarch 3 - 8x42 Binocular (Black) (Electronics)
Nikon 7540 Monarch 3 - 8x42 Binocular (Black)Monarch 3 8x42

I don't have any other binoculars to compare these to but these performed adequately for our wildlife viewing. We used the Monarchs for land-based stationary viewing, viewing from moving van, viewing from small boat and from ship. Waterproofing seemed important when we purchased these binoculars in anticipation of our trip. We were in misting rain and there was some ocean spray when we were on the small boat.

My only complaints are the lense caps will not stay on and the strap holder on the lens cap broke from light use. The binoculars are relatively heavy and that affected how often we carried them with us. By the time I strapped on a small pack, the binoculars, an SLR camera and a few other items, the weight began adding up.

5.0 out of 5 stars simple way to remedy loose lens caps, March 28, 2013
I love these Monarch 3 8x42, and just wanted to share with others a very simple way to remedy the looseness of the lens caps. On the eyecup lense caps, simply slit a one foot length of 1" wide electrician tape in half & evenly apply it to the inside edge of the lens cap: this decreases the inside diameter of the lens cap just the right amount to still allow easy removal, but keep it on snug. On the outside pair of lense caps, find yourself two narrow rubber bands with a resting diameter of 35mm, stretch & apply one to the outside diameter of each lense cap snug to the cap's outer lip. When you install the lense cap, start by inserting the cap at a shallow angle, slightly bowing the cap out as you work the cap perimeter into place. Once you push it into the final position there is just the correct amount of compressive tension to hold the cap in place but still allow easy removal. This may seem cumbersome at first, but after a few times, I found it easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Clarity, November 8, 2011
I am very impressed with the Nikon binoculars I recently purchased. Images are bright and sharp and the binoculars are easy to focus. Great for bird watching. I wish the lens protectors/end caps (both ends) fit better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright and sharp., April 26, 2013
These must be the best pair of binoculars below $200. I was very surprised by the quality of glass and fit & finish. I've taken these to my vacation in Hawaii and several times to target practice and was never disappointed.

Pros:
-bright and clear
-smooth focus
-great eye relief (adjustable)
-high-quality feel and finish
-very compact
-waterproof

Cons:
-the lens caps fall off, very poor design
-minor chromatic aberration
-caps caps caps.....

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy Monarchs, October 24, 2012
I am very unhappy with my purchase of Nikon 10x42 Monarch 3 but I'll be fair and include the good and the bad.
The good:
Good image quality
Easy to focus

The bad:
Lens covers fall off
Poor customer service when a warranty is required
Faulty eye cups:
I had to warranty the eye cups within the first four months due to the eye cups becoming completely separated from the binocular. I came to find out this is a typical problem with the Monarch series. I called Nikon and the operator said something like, "We've had problems with the eye cups on this model, the glue is bad, but not everyone experiences problems". Go ahead and buy a Monarch series binocular if you like to gamble, maybe you'll get a pair with defective glue or maybe you won't. I wish you luck if you do buy a pair. Yes Nikon has a 25 year no fault warranty however you have to pay a fee for their services and pay shipping cost with insurance both ways unless they waive the fee. In my case they waived my fee and return shipping but I was still out the $17 shipping to get them to California and not the mention the 4-6 weeks down time while their being service. That's ok though Nikon, don't you worry, I bought a pair of trusty Leupold Cascade binoculars.
I DO NOT RECOMMEND BUYING MONARCH BINOCULARS. For just slightly more money, I recommend the Leupold Cascade binoculars. I bought these at Cabella's after my Monarch crapped out and they have out classed the Monarch threes in every category for a minimal price difference of $50 more
FYI, I use these binoculars for birding

5.0 out of 5 stars Clearly amazing, March 18, 2012
As advertised-incredibly clear, quick focus, quality nikon product. Did serious research and you can not find a better binocular any where near this price. I love them.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BINOS, February 23, 2013
Oh man, what can I say bad about these? NOTHING.... They are awsome.. I love them, sturdy build and easy to use, lacks many features the more expesive guys have but all in all a great pair of binos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable!, February 22, 2013
I used to have a poor $10 binoculars that, at a first look, was amazing!

Well, since i bought the Monarch 3 my naturelife view (specially birds) is a bit different! Now they are collorfull, vivid!

This is an amzing binoculars! worth the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely satisfied, own these and older Monarchs, September 30, 2014
These are ridiculously good for the price. Hands down the best intro level birding binocular ever made. These no longer have the dielectric coating that the Monarch 5's have, the older Monarch's did but were more expensive than the 3's and have essentially been replaced by the 5. I own these AND a pair of the older Monarchs, they are nearly identical except for an upgrade to the ergonomics and lens covers on the new Monarch 3, and I have beat the heck out of the older pair with no issues. I would recommend ANY Monarch (older, 3, 5) to someone looking for a rugged, waterproof binocular with great optics quality at a very low price.

5.0 out of 5 stars These are really terrific binoculars for what I want, July 14, 2014
Phil Hartley (Scottsdale, AZ) - See all my reviews
These are really terrific binoculars for what I want: birding. They are light enough that I just have a strip of velcro on my backpack/camelbak to hold them. I don't even bother to ensure the lens caps are put back in. I've had these for 2 years and use them probably every other day. They are remarkably sturdy. Compared with other cheaper binoculars, they have a really bright image which is very important in birding.

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›

Nikon 7540 Monarch 3 - 8x42 Binocular (Black)
$339.95 $226.95