Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Nikon 7540 MONARCH 3 8x42 Binocular (Black)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Size: 8x42|Change

on June 13, 2014
I live on acre where there are a lot of birds and wildlife to watch. These binoculars do the job well. After looking through some cheap imported binoculars, these guys almost make your head spin with their clarity! I'm happy!
on June 29, 2014
These were mainly bought for a trip to Africa (and eventually for hunting and birding in the US). We visited our daughter who was with the Peace Corp, and traveled through the nation of Malawi. I bought these on a budget. My wife was a little upset with my purchase. But hey, how many times do you get to Africa in your life? For me, this was the first time! I know they are not the latest and newest of the Monarch series that Nikon makes; but after reading reviews of newer models of the Monarch series binocular I decided that these would do fine for our older eyes. At just over $200 it was what we could afford. If they got damaged or stolen I would not worry too much about the loss.

They worked wonderfully!!! Low light mornings or evenings, full light day time these delivered excellent quality. The African wildlife, birds and landscape were crystal clear. My wife, who had been upset with the purchase, was amazed at the quality (as compared to much cheaper Bushnell binoculars we had brought along as well) and used the Nikons the most out of the three of us. LOL The adjustable eye cups worked fine when using these with or without our glasses.

Yes, there are higher quality optics out there AND you will pay more for them. Most of the reviews I read said that there is not enough difference between these and the newer series Monarchs and other makes of binoculars, most of higher price, to justify buying something more expensive. For most of the differences you would need optical testing equipment to observe. But for the money these are great and I would both buy them again, and I have recommended the Monarch 3s to many friends!
on August 22, 2012
Received this Nikon Monarch 3 8x42 for my birthday. Crisp/clear/vibrant colors day or night! The eye relief is outstanding and the focus knob is smooth and quick. The textured rubberized finish makes it easy to hold and the feel/weight is solid. The optics are fully multi-coated and the prisms are silver-alloy coated used in higher end models. It is also water and fog proof/sealed and nitrogen filled. For the money you cannot get a nicer binocular. It also has a 25 year no fault warranty! I would highly recommend this Nikon to anyone.
on April 26, 2013
I am very impressed with this item in general. However after spending this much money (It was a lot to me anyway) I would think that Nikon would send better lens caps. The front caps are just okay. They are difficult to put on properly and unless great care is taken they will fall off too easily.
The front caps are some kind of joke. Way too loose with no adjustment
on October 18, 2012
I haven't used these binoculars extensively yet, and even if I had, I'm truthfully only a novice and therefore wouldn't feel qualified to make any kind of judgment or critique on optical quality or anything like that anyway. ...What I will comment on, though, is an issue I have with the lens caps, for both sets of lenses. They are captive, attached to the binoculars' neck strap, which is a good idea. However their overall design is somewhat flawed. Neither set seems to fit their respective lenses very well - being too big in one case and too small in the other - and are constantly falling off when I don't want them to, especially when putting the binoculars away into their carrying case. ...Which brings up another issue: While the binoculars have a neck strap, the case does not. True, it has a belt loop, but I'd have preferred not use that, as A) the binoculars in their case are somewhat hefty to be wearing on one's hip, and B) unless you feel like wearing the case 24/7, putting it on / taking it off requires both time and partial disrobing in public. ...Again, I'm not commenting on the quality of the binoculars themselves, and I don't want to discourage anyone from purchasing what could very well be a quality set of binoculars. I just thought these might be a few small details I could warn a potential buyer about. But if you've read my complaints and decided they're not concerns for you, so be it.
on March 24, 2014
This binocular I absolutely love using and amazed how well it performs in cold, wet, hot environments flawlessly. With other binoculars fogging of the glass was my issue - not with this product. Birding became such a joyful experience with it.
on April 18, 2013
These are fantastic binoculars. They have extending eye cups, which makes them perfect for use either with or without glasses. You can leave the eye cups in for people who wear glasses, and rotate them out for people who don't. This came in handy on a recent trip around the San Gabriel Mountains of California - everyone in my group wanted to use them, and adjusting between those in the party with glasses and those without took only a couple of seconds, even including adjusting the focus!

The focus is also fantastic. It's extremely easy to get a really good, clear focus on these, and the dial provides a really nice degree of resistance, so that it is easy to turn while still being able to make precision adjustments.

These lenses and prisms are fully multi-coated, meaning that every surface (inside and out) has multiple coats on it, which I'm sure contributes to the sharp image. I noticed very little glare, regardless of the brightness of the things we looked at or the position of the sun. These were a fantastic buy, and I don't think you'll find anything like them anywhere near this price.
on May 17, 2016
I could bore you with a lot of scientific mumbo jumbo and fancy benchmark performance metrics, but I won't. I respect you too much for that. Suffice it to say that if you are trying to look at something far away (up to a couple hundred yards max), this guy does the trick and does it as good if not better than pretty much all of its competitors. We use it for animal watching outside our living room window and from 15 yards the view is spectacular. A relative who is a retired detective that has spent countless hours peering at perps through binoculars was impressed and began a long, unwanted dissertation on the positive qualities of these binoculars but I stopped listening after "let me tell you something about these binoculars". Oh and they are waterproof and have a great no-slip surface that's very pleasing to the touch.
on July 30, 2014
The weight of the binoc and crisp viewings for birding is what made me buy this binoc two more times, for my husband and daughter after I had my pair for a test drive. You not only have the distance viewing but a real plus is viewing birds really close to you which I really appreciate. Love the way it lies straight on my body when hiking and walking distances.
on October 23, 2015
I bought the binoculars from an outside seller but wanted to post a review here as I found these to be quite a great value. Extremely clear images, bright colors, easy to focus.
I wear glasses and have severe astigmatism and these are the first binoculars I've used (at a reasonable price) that give me a perfect field of vision. Once you adjust the focus and diopter for your personal needs you're home free except for fine focusing.
Nice strap---wide and comfortable. Although the binoculars are not super light they don't feel uncomfortably heavy at all.
Noticed that there were some reviews, here and in other places, where people complained about the objective lens covers falling off. Very simple solution: after you put the covers on, depress the centers of the covers with your finger. As if you were "burping" Tupperware, for example. That creates a slight vacuum and holds the covers on quite tightly. Both the eyepiece covers and objective lens covers are attached so no fear of losing them (the eyepiece covers attach nicely to the strap).