Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Size: 10x42Change

on March 28, 2013
I love these Monarch 3 8x42, and just wanted to share with others a very simple way to remedy the looseness of the lens caps. On the eyecup lense caps, simply slit a one foot length of 1" wide electrician tape in half & evenly apply it to the inside edge of the lens cap: this decreases the inside diameter of the lens cap just the right amount to still allow easy removal, but keep it on snug. On the outside pair of lense caps, find yourself two narrow rubber bands with a resting diameter of 35mm, stretch & apply one to the outside diameter of each lense cap snug to the cap's outer lip. When you install the lense cap, start by inserting the cap at a shallow angle, slightly bowing the cap out as you work the cap perimeter into place. Once you push it into the final position there is just the correct amount of compressive tension to hold the cap in place but still allow easy removal. This may seem cumbersome at first, but after a few times, I found it easy.
on September 13, 2012
Its a good bino. I needed a 10 power and compare to some of the other binos its not too bad. I have had good experience with Nikon in the past and thats why I went back to it. Amazons price was much better than what I could buy this for locally. The Strap is not all that great, the lens covers are kinda cheap and not very well designed and functional. It feels good in hand and so far the image is clear out of my bedroom window. I'll need to take it out and try it. Made in China, so don't expect Zeiss.

1/15/2013 - This is an edit to my original review.

I took it hunting in Wy. It functioned well. At times however right about three to 400 yards I picked up a Red halo around the outer edges of the lens depending how I was standing in relation the sun, annoying enough. Once again Id recommend it mainly due to the price. Hope this is helpful.
0Comment21 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2011
I am very impressed with the Nikon binoculars I recently purchased. Images are bright and sharp and the binoculars are easy to focus. Great for bird watching. I wish the lens protectors/end caps (both ends) fit better.
on April 26, 2013
These must be the best pair of binoculars below $200. I was very surprised by the quality of glass and fit & finish. I've taken these to my vacation in Hawaii and several times to target practice and was never disappointed.

Pros:
-bright and clear
-smooth focus
-great eye relief (adjustable)
-high-quality feel and finish
-very compact
-waterproof

Cons:
-the lens caps fall off, very poor design
-minor chromatic aberration
-caps caps caps.....
on October 24, 2012
I am very unhappy with my purchase of Nikon 10x42 Monarch 3 but I'll be fair and include the good and the bad.
The good:
Good image quality
Easy to focus

The bad:
Lens covers fall off
Poor customer service when a warranty is required
Faulty eye cups:
I had to warranty the eye cups within the first four months due to the eye cups becoming completely separated from the binocular. I came to find out this is a typical problem with the Monarch series. I called Nikon and the operator said something like, "We've had problems with the eye cups on this model, the glue is bad, but not everyone experiences problems". Go ahead and buy a Monarch series binocular if you like to gamble, maybe you'll get a pair with defective glue or maybe you won't. I wish you luck if you do buy a pair. Yes Nikon has a 25 year no fault warranty however you have to pay a fee for their services and pay shipping cost with insurance both ways unless they waive the fee. In my case they waived my fee and return shipping but I was still out the $17 shipping to get them to California and not the mention the 4-6 weeks down time while their being service. That's ok though Nikon, don't you worry, I bought a pair of trusty Leupold Cascade binoculars.
I DO NOT RECOMMEND BUYING MONARCH BINOCULARS. For just slightly more money, I recommend the Leupold Cascade binoculars. I bought these at Cabella's after my Monarch crapped out and they have out classed the Monarch threes in every category for a minimal price difference of $50 more
FYI, I use these binoculars for birding
0Comment18 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2013
I did quite a bit of research before purchasing these binos including going to stores to visually compare them with the competition. I realize that they are not the absolute top line binos that you can buy but I found them to be the best for the price. Just like all things as the technology and cost increase the benefit and perceptible difference begins to diminish. As for me I could tell a huge difference between these and the cheap $50 binos that I grew up using and had originally planned to buy. But when I compared them to the higher end binos the difference was less obvious. This pair provides a crisp, clear view with a medium range zoom. I chose the 10x because it provides that happy medium between very little zoom and so much zoom that you can't hold them steady enough to see clearly.

As for quality of build, it is too early to say but they appear to be well built. As with all things they will need care and protection from humidity and such but they are solid with good material of construction.

Overall I would definitely recommend these binos to anyone looking for a crisp, clear view in varying lighting conditions at a reasonable price.
on September 30, 2014
These are ridiculously good for the price. Hands down the best intro level birding binocular ever made. These no longer have the dielectric coating that the Monarch 5's have, the older Monarch's did but were more expensive than the 3's and have essentially been replaced by the 5. I own these AND a pair of the older Monarchs, they are nearly identical except for an upgrade to the ergonomics and lens covers on the new Monarch 3, and I have beat the heck out of the older pair with no issues. I would recommend ANY Monarch (older, 3, 5) to someone looking for a rugged, waterproof binocular with great optics quality at a very low price.
on March 18, 2012
As advertised-incredibly clear, quick focus, quality nikon product. Did serious research and you can not find a better binocular any where near this price. I love them.
on January 20, 2013
You can certainly spend more on binoculars (much more) but, with the discount at Amazon, you can't get a better value. I would definitely agree with other reviewers that the 10x42's are a bit harder to hold steady than the 8x42's (which I have also used extensively in the past) but I'm mostly sitting on the porch looking at boats, seabirds and seals so these work fine for me.
on April 26, 2013
I am very impressed with this item in general. However after spending this much money (It was a lot to me anyway) I would think that Nikon would send better lens caps. The front caps are just okay. They are difficult to put on properly and unless great care is taken they will fall off too easily.
The front caps are some kind of joke. Way too loose with no adjustment