nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more

on July 31, 2006
This 5mm thin filter is made with precision and quality. You can count on pretty much any Nikon products that are made within the highest standards. I have several other brand polarizer but this one is one of the best looking ones. I've stacked this filter and 3mm Hoya ultra thin on my 12-24mm Nikkor and due to its excellent sky darkening effect can hardly notice any vignetting problems even at the shortest focal length. The only problem is that depending on the angle of sunlight you may get uneven sky darkening effect on a wide angle lens. I'm a big sucker for polarizer filter and 90% of my work is done with it. Graduated Neutral Density filter sometimes can give better result on sky darkening effect depending on light condition.

If you have the money just buy it; you won't regret it. If you want to spend less money, go ahead and get some other polarizer at half price. Taking great pictures is about observation, not about owning great equipments.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
88 comments101 of 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 23, 2007
I bought this filter specifically for my Nikon 12-24mm lens for my trip to Hawaii. I was looking for a long term investment in a polarizing filter for all 77mm lenses and without a doubt this is an excellent choice. The filter is sturdily built and screws in and out quite easily. It is easy to manipulate even with a lens hood on (HB-23) with just one finger. After looking at the pricier Hoya's and B+W filters I can say for a touch less money (although this is quite expensive for a filter) it is a great value.

Performance wise it is exceptional. Period. It steals less light from your lens allowing a faster shutter than other filters while giving you great color saturation and unbelievable skies. I would highly recommend it for those shooting nature or landscapes as well as automobiles as the paint I have been shooting has just popped off my prints.

Good luck and happy shooting.
22 comments46 of 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 7, 2007
It does what a quality polarizer is supposed to do, make the skies blue and the foliage pop. I think that the Nikon' s effect is slightly stronger than the smaller Hoya 67mm Extra Thin Circular Polarizer Super Multi Coated Glass Filter that I also own. While the Hoya is excellent, I think the Nikon is slightly better. Either way, you can not go wrong.
0Comment39 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 1, 2009
I'm a Canon guy, but I have to give it to Nikon on their quality optics. This is probably the best wide-angle CP on the market. It has many layers of multicoating, the edges are knurled so you can grip it to get it on/off and adjust, and you can even still attach a lens cap.

I was hesitant to buy this one for my wide-angle lens due to the fact that you could still attach a lens cap. I thought it would vignette, but I read the specs on all of the other available wide-angle CP's and none of them are slimmer than 5mm (which is the thickness of this CP). So, I went ahead a took a leap of faith. I'm glad I did!

This is an excellent quality product. Get ONE that will fit your largest diameter lens, and get B+W step-up rings for your other lenses so you can use a CP on all of your lenses without buying a CP for each.
11 comment26 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 30, 2008
This filter is worth every penny and then some. Using it I have to compensate only for about 1.5 stops, whereas with others I've used I lost as much as over two stops of light... Speaks for its quality right there. Artistic possibilities that it extends are endless and I've taken some amazing photographs with it.

One very noteworthy feature is that it's very kind to gradients on wides. The fall-off especially with skies is blending very nicely, so I don't have to worry about harsh transitions. It's the only filter I use, and I did away with stepping rings so that I could use it with my other lenses. It's constructed really well, has smooth rotation and is a delight to use. The colors it helps to bring out are surreal, yet authentic, and there are no "distortions". With mitigating/eliminating refection and refraction the performance of this filter is far superior to any other ones I've tried.

A thing to watch out for is that filter tends to be very susceptible to getting stuck. It's fairly thin, so with rotational element, it's hard to get a good grip. Avoid over-tightening when putting it on, otherwise it's a tad stubborn to come off.
11 comment15 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2010
I've owned a variety of linear and circular polarizers over the years and never been wholly satisfied. I hesitated to spend so much on a filter that will only get occasional use, but I'm glad I did.

The polarizing effect of the Nikon 77mm Circular Polarizer II is smooth and dramatic, and there is no sign of vignetting even when zoomed out to 16mm and stopped down to f/22 on a full frame camera! The filter's multi-coating minimizes reflections and the glass seems to be of optical quality. In use, I expected the dramatic sky effect, but I REALLY like how it handles light reflections from foliage for saturated images. A superior filter for anyone's kit! NOTE: because of the multi-coating, this filter should only be cleaned with alcohol or lens cleaner.

UPDATE: Just returned from Zion National Park. This filter is amazing! I used it on my Canon 16-35 f/2.8L lens with great success. You DO need to watch out for uneven sky shots when zoomed out to super wide angles. Of course, if you are considering buying this pricey bad boy, you probably know this already.
review image review image
on September 30, 2010
The optical quality of this filter blows away every other Polarizer I own, however why is the knurling on the edge and not the front? you can't get a grip on the damn thing when you have a hood on. And when you use a polarizer, you're in good sunlight, and need a hood. I stick a finger inside the hood to adjust the polarizer, and I just can't get a descent grip on this thing sometimes.

This a major flaw on a damn good polarizer.

optical quality 10+
ergonomics 2

So close to a perfect product
on October 29, 2007
Slim profile is good, no vignetting on my 17-40mm lens. I really appreciate that I can still fit my original Canon lens cap on this filter's outer threads, unlike the slim mount B&W UV filter I also got.

Excellent image quality. Relatively easy on-off the lens, no jamming of the threads. Operates just fine.
on August 24, 2008
Bought this for my Canon lens :) . Works well. Has the thread so you can mount the lens cap when not in use. Very nice compare to the more expensive BW
on October 22, 2008
I used this filter several times and it performs just like any other Nikon product. The best part about this filter is how it reduces window and water reflections. Excellent!